We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Third party discussion thread.

«13

Comments

  • #2


    With the amount of awesome third party TF stuff out there, it has my vote.


  • #2


    Mine too, would reduce the amount of times I drag threads off topic :)


  • #2


    Noted, thread title modified.


  • #2


    So, how's Uranus? :P


    No, seriously, has anybody picked up these guys? The combined form looks pretty impressive.

    I'm saving for a Toyworld Hardbone at the moment, €98.50 delivered from Yahobby.


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    So, how's Uranus? :P


    No, seriously, has anybody picked up these guys? The combined form looks pretty impressive.

    I'm saving for a Toyworld Hardbone at the moment, €98.50 delivered from Yahobby.

    I was vey interested in Uranos but apparently the plastic used in the first run isn't that great :(


  • #2


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was vey interested in Uranos but apparently the plastic used in the first run isn't that great :(

    On the "first run" thing, there's been no real running changes to any of the Uranos components released, as far as i know.

    Hercules is probably in over supply (still)... and Devastator probably has more recognition anyway so i doubt there's going to be any significant changes to what's been produced of Uranos already

    I don't have Blackbird yet. Phantom... Eagle... They do feel a bit more lightweight than the Hercules components....and the plastic 'quality' in some parts of Hercules is nothing amazing either.

    I'm not entirely sure if this is partially due to the fact they're lower mass vehicles than construction ones.

    My Eagle did have a lot of scuffs to the plastic, straight from the box, some 3K grit sandpaper fixed just about all of it, but it's kind of annoying.

    For some reason or other, TFC seem to have committed themselves to an interpretation of Predaking as their next project.

    If they want to exceed, or even match, MMC, they're going to have to do better.


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    So, how's Uranus? :P


    No, seriously, has anybody picked up these guys? The combined form looks pretty impressive.

    I'm saving for a Toyworld Hardbone at the moment, €98.50 delivered from Yahobby.


    1) No Uranos jokes please. Seriously.

    2) Yahobby have a reputation for taking people's money then refunding them a few weeks later saying they can't fill the order.

    ...and this looks cheaper.


    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TW-H01-hardbone-2013-Preorder-availliable-on-the-end-of-January/613353_734575290.html


    I've got Hardbone (ugggh!) Grind Rod (uggggh!) and Aurora on the backburner for the moment,until i get through some other 3p things.

    Given TWs penchant for suspect names, i'll be surprised if their interpretation of WideLoad doesn't get changed to BigLoad.


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    1) No Uranos jokes please. Seriously.

    2) Yahobby have a reputation for taking people's money then refunding them a few weeks later saying they can't fill the order.

    ...and this looks cheaper.


    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/TW-H01-hardbone-2013-Preorder-availliable-on-the-end-of-January/613353_734575290.html


    I've got Hardbone (ugggh!) Grind Rod (uggggh!) and Aurora on the backburner for the moment,until i get through some other 3p things.

    Given TWs penchant for suspect names, i'll be surprised if their interpretation of WideLoad doesn't get changed to BigLoad.


    1) Apologies, I couldn't resist! :D

    2) That's a really good price! I've done 2 orders through yahobby for Gundam kits with no hiccups. No transformers as of yet.


  • #2


    I think the bottom line with Uranos is that if value for money is an issue, or you're seriously impressed by size alone, it's not worth the hassle.

    Expansion:

    Hercules is big, but the individual robots are lacking in detail and complexity. Furthermore, it's a little unstable. Add the rage kit and he's taking a dive if you look at him crooked.

    And then there's the Hex style arm joints. More you use them, the more they wear out.


    Uranos may be more stable than Hercules,and it's not even complete yet.....but it still uses the same hexagonal arm connectors, Phantom and Eagle are still a little lacking in detail and complexity (i don't expect the last two limbs to be any different) and the response to Blackbird has been negative to lukewarm.

    Which leads back to the conclusion at the top.


  • #2


    Now that i have Blackbird, everything i said previously seems even more true.

    Except for the fact Blackbird is actually a very lackluster half-hearted effort.


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    s pretty impressive.

    I'm saving for a Toyworld Hardbone at the moment, €98.50 delivered from Yahobby.

    I'll be having a nosey at one in person tomorrow, if you're looking for comments, criticism, and possibly even holding out the possibility of me describing it with unqualified praise*.








    *Satan reaching for a thermostat.


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    I'll be having a nosey at one in person tomorrow, if you're looking for comments, criticism, and possibly even holding out the possibility of me describing it with unqualified praise*.



    *Satan reaching for a thermostat.

    So how'd it go? Does Satan need his thermostat? :P


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    So how'd it go? Does Satan need his thermostat? :P

    Pro: They did a much better job of capturing the chunky/slightly simplistic aesthetic of a Headmaster than Fansproject/Jizai.

    Con: They did a much better job of capturing the chunky/slightly simplistic aesthetic of a Headmaster than Fansproject/Jizai.


    I gave it back, but plan to buy one.


  • #2


    Cheers!

    Going with aliexpress.com?


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    Cheers!

    Going with aliexpress.com?

    I think Toyercity on eBay was the cheapest last i looked.

    I've seen people complain that Hardbone has a tendency towards loose limbs.......


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    I think Toyercity on eBay was the cheapest last i looked.

    I've seen people complain that Hardbone has a tendency towards loose limbs.......

    I'm a bit on the fence about shelling out for it.

    Like you say, reports of loose limbs for some being reported. One lad on TFW2005 was missing the eyes from the back of the headmaster head!


  • #2


    Jayd0g wrote: »
    I'm a bit on the fence about shelling out for it.

    Like you say, reports of loose limbs for some being reported. One lad on TFW2005 was missing the eyes from the back of the headmaster head!

    Eh, buy it from a Vendor with decent after sales service then?

    I won't bother telling you it's worth anything like 80 euro odd, but that's the nature of third party.


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Eh, buy it from a Vendor with decent after sales service then?

    I won't bother telling you it's worth anything like 80 euro odd, but that's the nature of third party.

    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the usual risks with third party. Just trying to decide between either Hardbone or a new phone at the moment. Neither are urgent requirements!


  • #2


    Finally got me a full set of WST Dinorobots. Currently in robot mode but will be kept in dino mode long term (to compliment Grimlock).

    Full set of proper stickers coming from reprolabels too :-)

    F39CCBE2-BEDE-49C4-B96E-C4824D2F5CEF-1388-000000894DD13FF4_zps82536075.jpg


  • #2


    FutureGuy wrote: »

    Full set of proper stickers coming from reprolabels too :-)

    Ordered some faction symbols from them a week ago (how can they run out of those?) and still don't even have a shipping notice.

    Someone since suggested to me that the print quality isn't what it was once either.


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    Ordered some faction symbols from them a week ago (how can they run out of those?) and still don't even have a shipping notice.

    Someone since suggested to me that the print quality isn't what it was once either.

    if they are of poor quality, i'll look for a replacement. They cant be any worse than the ones that came with the figures. It's as if they cut them poorly on purpose!


  • #2


    The Snarl looks EXACTLY like the original.


  • #2


    Last two parts of Uranos are due to be released in the next two-three weeks, for those of you trying to keep track.


  • #2


    Galvasean wrote: »
    The Snarl looks EXACTLY like the original.

    Unfortunately it looks superb, but it is probably the loosest of the 5 figures. All the WST Snarls are like that.


  • #2


    That's a shame. I have the original Snarl and he's about the sturdiest toy you can get.


  • #2


    So does anybody actually care that all four of Intimidator's limbs are out, that M3 will be out soon(ish) and that we will finally have a decent Menasor?


  • #2


    Got my labels from Reprolabels and I have to say they were cut absolutely superbly. Not even one miscut.

    I was recovering from a half marathon all day Sunday and so I spent about 4hours applying every single one perfectly :)

    83759317-39C0-4ECC-B238-78CDEC48329F-1007-0000005B1884308D_zps0dd54fa3.jpg

    B79EE6AE-C52F-4802-B98C-0E9FA7D6FE43-1007-0000005B04DBB576_zps4448f5c3.jpg


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    So does anybody actually care that all four of Intimidator's limbs are out, that M3 will be out soon(ish) and that we will finally have a decent Menasor?

    Amazing as the toy looks, it's too rich for me so I try not to get too hyped up about such things.


  • #2


    wernstrom! wrote: »
    So does anybody actually care that all four of Intimidator's limbs are out, that M3 will be out soon(ish) and that we will finally have a decent Menasor?

    Answer: No.


  • #2


    Hardbone arrived over the last few weeks, overall I'm happy with the figure.

    Like Wernstrom mentioned earlier, he's got the clunky headmaster aesthetic going on. I was a fan of the original headmasters so that's a positive for me. The robot and alt modes both look pretty cool, however I'm not a fan of either the yellow add on for the main gun, or how the front of tank folds up at the back in robot mode. I think it looks a bit out of place in robot mode and not a functional part of the robot.

    Poseability is great in robot mode, with a lot of options from the different accessories. Fits in well with my Masterpiece figures too.


Society & Culture