Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFX

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

used to be on duty with the St Johns there in the 80's..a few more that I was at
    Howard Jones
    Nick Kershaw
    Imagination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I remember seeing Fugazi in the SFX - a Hope Promotions gig. Amazing times. Place was booked out by MCD so even gettinh the hell for the gig was a triumph.

with Chumbawamba and In Motion? 11/5/92 for £4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

Went to see Ultravox there. A long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I saw
    • Depeche Mode
    • Meatloaf
    • Status Quo
    in the SFX in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Seen Suede play there in 94/possibly early 95. Touring the Dog Man Star album. Hell of a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

Tool in '01, my first time seeing them, amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    SFX first gig

Jesus and Mary Chain - September 1987. Darklands tour "NO ENCORES" posters.

I also saw

Sugarcubes (1989)
    Wonderstuff (1989) - jammed.
    Wedding Present (1990) - after being postponed twice.
    House of Love (1990)
    Wedding Present (1991)
    Fugazi / Chumbawamba / In Motion (1992)
    My Bloody Valentine (1992)
    Therapy? (1992)
    The Cramps (1995)

McGonagles was great too. Saw lots there from 1988 onwards.

The Wonder Stuff was my first real gig. I was supposed to go to the Wedding Present with a load of mates from college but I got a horrendous throat infection and had to stay home - and missed a stinker by all accounts. MBV were LOUD!

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    The Wonder Stuff was my first real gig. I was supposed to go to the Wedding Present with a load of mates from college but I got a horrendous throat infection and had to stay home - and missed a stinker by all accounts. MBV were LOUD!

That Wedding Present gig eventually took place on the 15 January 1990. Freezing cold. I enjoyed the gig. Power of Dreams supported. The Weddoes started with Don't Talk, Just Kiss [which was about to come out on the Brassneck 12" EP] and ended with What I Have Said Now? Think they played three songs off George Best.

MBV extremely loud. I took the earplugs that they were giving out on the way in. A very long mid-section to You Made Me Realise. Not too many left by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Megadeth in 2001 and it was my first proper gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HASTIS

MY BAND HASTIS PLAYED THERE 29th OCTOBER 1994 WITH CHARLY LOWNOISE AND MENTAL THEO, THE FOURTH DIMENSION (FROM KERRY) AND THE NUTTER AS PART OF THE THUNDERDOME CITY TOUR.

https://soundcloud.com/hastis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

HASTIS wrote: »
    MY BAND HASTIS PLAYED THERE 29th OCTOBER 1994 WITH CHARLY LOWNOISE AND MENTAL THEO, THE FOURTH DIMENSION (FROM KERRY) AND THE NUTTER AS PART OF THE THUNDERDOME CITY TOUR.

https://soundcloud.com/hastis

And we needed this in capitals because ??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Pighead wrote: »
    Seen Suede play there in 94/possibly early 95. Touring the Dog Man Star album. Hell of a gig.

Great gig. My only time in the SFX seeing my favourite band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Seen Kula Shaker with support from the Driven....in my defence I was young

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Saw the Stone Temple Pilots there in 1994. In my defence I was going through my grunge phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Echo and the Bunnymen - Cutter and Ocean Rain tours
    Simple Minds - New Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain tours

... early Eighties - great gigs especially Ocean Rain ... poor Pete - they were some band then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

These are the ones I can remember at the moment but there were probably more.

Eat Static
    The Cramps
    Therapy? (X2)
    Fugazi
    Nick Cave
    The Wedding Present (X2)
    The Sugarcubes

It's like a dream that I saw My Bloody Valentine there too but I'm sure I'd definitely remember it. Maybe one of my friends went and I'm stealing his memories of it. I probably didn't go because I would have had college exams when it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

i remember seein a 7 bands on the up .there about 88 or 89 .with the stunnin. missin link somethin happens .and christy dignam. it was on over 2 days .shows were recorded for tv and radio.also saw aslans first irish show with new singer eammo doyle .about 89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

anyone ever go to gigs in mcgonagles ?
    RayCon wrote: »
    Lived in it man ... numerous Acid Reign gigs, Ozzy (yes really) , Sabbat, Xentrix, Blur (no .. really), Predator (Irish band) etc etc. , along with Tom Hayse's Metal night every Fri ... loved the place. :(

Was at Ozzy also. Was the best gig I was ever at.

I remember one of his daughters throwing a bucket of water on us. Aimee maybe.

It felt like seeing Ozzy play down the pub, the crowd was that small.

Think he played the Top Hat a few days later also - which was another class gig.

As for the SFX, not on any of those lists but seen The Housemartins there in '89 or '90 and there were killings at it. Bouncers just grabbed anyone fighting and threw them out together into an alley resulting in even further mayhem. Never seen so much fighting at a concert in my life.

You would think we all the massive bands that played there, there would be tons of photos from live performances online but there seems to be only a small handful.

The Housemartins in The Bridge Hotel, Waterford was rough too. 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The Housemartins in The Bridge Hotel, Waterford was rough too. 1987.

"back back you Irish dogs" shouted Stan Collymore from the stage.
    cue glasses and bottles flying towards the stage.
    the proclaimers played support. a friend of mine got locked up for kicking a squad car. the folly of youth. and cider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

The Dom wrote: »
    You would think we all the massive bands that played there, there would be tons of photos from live performances online but there seems to be only a small handful.

Back then, people didn't have cameraphones in their pockets to take those snaps

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I have some from a New Order gig - quite a job to bring a decent camera in those days, they weren't small!! camera and lens had to be brought in seperately ... oh the subterfuge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭The Dom

Not sure if you're joking or not.

Do you really think someone who was old enough to have been at SFX gigs isn't aware that people in the 80s didn't have camera phones in their pockets?

Anyway, I was obviously speaking about pro shots which was why I emphasized "massive bands" as they were the gigs you would have expected press photographers from from the Herald, Hot Press, NME etc to be at.

When you think that bands like Depeche Mode, U2, RHCP, The Clash, Metallica, Simple Minds and R.E.M. played there and that there seems to be almost no photographic record of those gigs online, it really is kinda remarkable. Maybe it's just that they have not been uploaded as I can't imagine they don't exist.

Google on almost any band that played the Hammersmith Odeon in the 80s for example and you will invariably find the odd photo from it, especially from the bigger bands of the time.

I remember years ago browsing Boards and there was a photographer here who us to post up some of his stuff from the 80s and they were amazing. He had stuff from 80s Slane gigs like Bowie and even some excellent ones of U2 at Live Aid. I would bet that a guy like that would have some stuff from the SFX, Top Hat gigs from the 80s.

Not to say that I didn't find any at all on Google as I found some WASP, Mama's Boys and the following Whitesnake one:

SFX_Whitesnake1.jpg

Photographer's name seems to be Paul Reynolds but when I Google that all I get is an RTE Newsreader.

The Dom wrote: »
    Anyway, I was obviously speaking about pro shots which was why I emphasized "massive bands" as they were the gigs you would have expected press photographers from from the Herald, Hot Press, NME etc to be at.

When you think that bands like Depeche Mode, U2, RHCP, The Clash, Metallica, Simple Minds and R.E.M. played there and that there seems to be almost no photographic record of those gigs online, it really is kinda remarkable. Maybe it's just that they have not been uploaded as I can't imagine they don't exist.

Google on almost any band that played the Hammersmith Odeon in the 80s for example and you will invariably find the odd photo from it, especially from the bigger bands of the time.

You can draw a parallel between the above

and

the dearth of off-air VHS recordings of RTE shows / adverts / PIFs from the 1980s [compared with the UK]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Pantera at the SFX

and another

Loads of old gigs (not sure if already posted)

Advertisement