Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

anyone ever go to gigs in mcgonagles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Lived in it man ... numerous Acid Reign gigs, Ozzy (yes really) , Sabbat, Xentrix, Blur (no .. really), Predator (Irish band) etc etc. , along with Tom Hayse's Metal night every Fri ... loved the place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I was there for the Pogues first gig in Ireland;
    http://budtheweiser.blogspot.com/2010/09/pogues-in-01-mar-85-mcgonagles-south.html

Great night - the bouncers spent the first 15 minutes furiously trying the keep the crowd back from the band, and then withdrew leaving us all to mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Was only slightly before my time.
    I believe The Stone Roses played their first Irish gig there.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Public Enemy - Don't believe The Hype!

first hip hop/rap gig in Ireland as quoted by Dave fanning at the time. What a laugh, he NEVER played anything of that genre. Too Much For The White Man (Tuam band)

• Advertisement

I was there for the Pogues first gig in Ireland;
    http://budtheweiser.blogspot.com/2010/09/pogues-in-01-mar-85-mcgonagles-south.html

Great night - the bouncers spent the first 15 minutes furiously trying the keep the crowd back from the band, and then withdrew leaving us all to mix.

not the pogues first irish gig. they supported elvis costello on his irish tour in 1984. but it was a great night. the golden horde were the support that night

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

not the pogues first irish gig. they supported elvis costello on his irish tour in 1984. but it was a great night. the golden horde were the support that night

Were they not Pog Mo Thon/Pogue Mahone then? saw them in Leisureland Galway with Elvis on that tour. Great gigs there in the 80s. Sad to say no more.

holly8 wrote: »
    Were they not Pog Mo Thon/Pogue Mahone then? saw them in Leisureland Galway with Elvis on that tour. Great gigs there in the 80s. Sad to say no more.
    they had long abandoned the pog mo thon name at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Twice. Paradise Lost followed by Morbid Angel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Was only slightly before my time.
    I believe The Stone Roses played their first Irish gig there.

No. Definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

SFX first gig

Jesus and Mary Chain - September 1987. Darklands tour "NO ENCORES" posters.

I also saw

Sugarcubes (1989)
    Wonderstuff (1989) - jammed.
    Wedding Present (1990) - after being postponed twice.
    House of Love (1990)
    Wedding Present (1991)
    Fugazi / Chumbawamba / In Motion (1992)
    My Bloody Valentine (1992)
    Therapy? (1992)
    The Cramps (1995)

McGonagles was great too. Saw lots there from 1988 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

I did monitors for Ice T & Bodycount there (and many others). The band was amazing and Ice T was a complete gentleman. He brought his kid on stage for the encore and he screamed 'f**k the police' on cue!! We chatted for about 10mins after the show and he gave me an autograph for my girlfriend (not something I'd normally do as a crew guy). Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Terrible venue but some great memories :D

Seen the following -

Placebo
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Ash
    Kerbdog
    Tool
    Deftones
    Foo Fighters (Dave was avoiding a leak in the roof at one stage !!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

RayCon wrote: »
    Lived in it man ... numerous Acid Reign gigs, Ozzy (yes really) , Sabbat, Xentrix, Blur (no .. really), Predator (Irish band) etc etc. , along with Tom Hayse's Metal night every Fri ... loved the place. :(

I've told this story before but...Saxon, November 1991 at McGonagles in front of....drum roll........

52 people.

Drummer threw his sticks out at the end & missed the crowd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ndease

Back in the 80's the SFX hosted ...

Dokken

MagnAcceptum
    Marillion
    Whitesnake
    Queensryche
    Def Leppard
    Fastway
    Gary Moore
    Dio
    Mamas Boys
    Saxon
    MSG
    Ozzy

I was at most of them ....

I think the same people were at all the metal gigs in the SFX the 80's.Great memories.I think Accept out-shone them all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Am pretty sure I seen Wheatus in the SFX in the early 00s!

Sure I was only a Teenage Dirtbag :o

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Am pretty sure I seen Wheatus in the SFX in the early 00s!

Sure I was only a Teenage Dirtbag :o

I took my little sister to that! It was her first "rock" gig at the age of 15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jimmy_presley

Was at Megadeth there March 10th 1995. First ever gig!........and best to be honest!

A friend of mine text me back last march 10th, 2012 (by pure coincidence) to tell me he had arrived in some pub and the megadeth tribute band, Langer 18 were playing! What were the odds.........17 years later to the day!! I had to text him a pic of the ticket stub to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

SFX gig listings, some crackers in there

http://www.songkick.com/venues/43110-sfx-theatre/gigography

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

For rap fans this was the SFX back in 1986!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Saw Sepultura there in 90 or 91. I remember a G'n'R type band supported them and got boo'd for nearly every song.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Man that brings back some good memories. 1st ever gig was D.R.I in 89. Remember getting refused from more Thrash Bash's for being drunk than anything.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Seen kula shaker and the verge there in 97 and then worked there when they turned it into a theatre in 99, still held gigs there though and teen discos...meet my OH there too while working there and still going strong :)
    Funniest thing to happen was we painted the auditorium blue, and a teen disco was held a few days later when it was closing time all the girls had blue backs...the place was a sauna and all the snogging against the walls left then distroyed ...bit mean to laugh but it was quite funny at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Saw James in the early 90's.. for some reason the venue was seated with those fold up seats like it was the local parish hall pantomime...
    As soon as the band came on, the crowd got up, folded the chairs and they were passed back over peoples heads to make a dancefloor

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CriticofScience

Nine Inch Nails were bloody good there in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gigs I recall going to in the SFX:

The Smiths
    U2
    Pulp
    The Sugarcubes
    Therapy?
    Portishead

alastair wrote: »
    Gigs I recall going to in the SFX:

The Smiths
    U2
    Pulp
    The Sugarcubes
    Therapy?
    Portishead

Therapy? '93 supported by Kerbdog and Pet Lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭corm500

I saw Meatloaf there in I think '84. Stage set was a huge motorbike. Good gig from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

I remember seeing Fugazi in the SFX - a Hope Promotions gig. Amazing times. Place was booked out by MCD so even gettinh the hell for the gig was a triumph.

• Advertisement

Smashing Pumpkins in '96...ended up int he 13th Floor on O'Connell Street after it....Dazed was the name of the night as I remember.

Advertisement