Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

radiowaves wrote: »
    Unfortunately sporting rights are not sold on the basis of what you expect ;)

Sky agreed to take Irish rights in co-existence with the providers here. BT are a different animal (they mightn't have launched here but for agreement with Setanta) and they might not want to buy the Irish rights. It's obvious their priority isn't Irish subscribers for reasons I've already indicated.

And if they don't buy the Irish rights, as I said, you will have no choice but to accept geo-blocking - and it would happen precisely because the CL is high-profile!

Around 10% of sky's subscribers are Irish, that is a lot of potential subscribers for BT sport to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

indiewindy wrote: »
    Around 10% of sky's subscribers are Irish, that is a lot of potential subscribers for BT sport to ignore.
    Their bread and butter is Phone/Internet... BT Sport is basically the means for which they hope to grow that market and take customers from Sky, Virgin BB/Phone.... I actually don't think they have the slightest interest in Ireland because they are not in the domestic communication market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

BT Sport are a separate company to Sky.

They also view the subscription TV model differently (their channels free to their broadband subscribers - Sky do it the other way round).

I keep pointing it out, to this point the main (perhaps only) point of BT Sport was to drive subscribers to BT's core business of telephony. They have no potential to do that here so it's hard to see how they might view any potential Irish subscribers.

However, the fact that they are in bed with Setanta might drive them to take the Irish rights.

The fact that they now have exclusive CL rights for the UK in addition to PL football might lead them to view their TV business differently too.

None of us knows, but the fact of the matter is that Irish rights are sold separately and differently to the UK ones and just because a channel is available here doesn't automatically mean their sporting rights for the UK will be.

Like it or not we will have to accept geo-blocking in Ireland if BT don't take the Irish rights whatever some people might "expect" to happen.

EDIT: Irishfeen got there before me and clarified it better than I attempted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The potential profit from buying the Irish rights cannot be ignored by BT accountants and thats before you throw in an Irish opt out for advertisementsmean that it is likely that they will bid for the Irish rights.

RTE paid €1m for the rights previously - anything of course is possible - UTV or TG4 could bid, but I would be surprised if BT dont have Irish rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

BT Sport are a separate company to Sky.

They also view the subscription TV model differently (their channels free to their broadband subscribers - Sky do it the other way round

I have sky and the broadband was free for the first 2 months.

I presume they will show champions league matches on Bt Sport 1/2 and ESPN.

Did they get 100% exclusive rights to the Europa League aswell?

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    I have sky and the broadband was free for the first 2 months.

Pretty much what I said mate.
    I presume they will show champions league matches on Bt Sport 1/2 and ESPN.

It is impossible to say what way they will do it as it's almost 2 years away. One thing they have said, their FTA matches will be shown on BT and not sub-contracted.
    Did they get 100% exclusive rights to the Europa League aswell?

They did (in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

This today was a huge announcement and the 1st time that Sky as far as I am aware have been beaten in a major football rights auction. It is also bad news for the consumer as it is going to lead to increased subscriptions in the long term especially if you want to have every match in both the Champion's League and the Premier League available to you. The size of the bid today also makes absolutely no sense to me unless BT are also budgeting to prepare a bid for the next tranche of Premier League matches to become the majority broadcaster in the next contract.

Some of the points raised today in this thread are very similar to when BT Sport acquired the UK rights for the three years of PL rights that started this season. There was no mention of Ireland in the press release on that day just exactly as there was no mention of Ireland in the UEFA press announcement today just as there was not a mention of Ireland in each of the last CL press releases when Sky acquired the UK rights.

I fully expect that BT Sport will have full rights to Ireland. It would also be my expectation that by the time this new contract kicks in that there will be new developments for subscribers to BT Sport both here and in the UK to allow full access to all games via a red button or similar service.

As to Ireland and a limited choice of viewing for non-BT subscribers it is quite possible that these matches could be on Setanta available FTV rather than any of the existing terrestrial stations. It will be probably next April before we know this.

Just because the present Europa League coverage is blocked on BT Sport/ESPN does not necessarily mean that this will also be the case for the next contract, after all the UK announcement today was very different from the announcement of three years ago when the Champions League contract was awarded in April 2011 and the Europa League contract in October 2011.

In conclusion I am saying that it is a mistake to assume that just because Ireland is not mentioned in any of the press releases today means that Ireland's TV deal for coverage has not already been decided. I know if I was the CEO of BT bidding this massive amount of increased revenue to UEFA today I would want some extra bundles of right's thrown it.

This is nothing to do with UEFA but a lot of people here also assumed that there would be no PL 3pm KO games available on Irish TV this season which also proved not to be the case as a result of the Murphy case involving the Portsmouth publican.

I should also add that my opinions are entirely my own and I have very often been wrong in the past and could be this time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

redabbey wrote: »
    There was no mention of Ireland in the press release on that day just exactly as there was no mention of Ireland in the UEFA press announcement today just as there was not a mention of Ireland in each of the last CL press releases when Sky acquired the UK rights.

That's because the Irish rights are tendered separately, no date for this yet

There was no mention of Sky when the Irish TV rights were announced in 2012 - http://www.uefa.org/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1791613.html

(UK 2012-15 TV rights announcement http://www.uefa.org/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1623933.html)

This today was a huge announcement and the 1st time that Sky as far as I am aware have been beaten in a major football rights auction. It is also bad news for the consumer as it is going to lead to increased subscriptions in the long term especially if you want to have every match in both the Champion's League and the Premier League available to you. The size of the bid today also makes absolutely no sense to me unless BT are also budgeting to prepare a bid for the next tranche of Premier League matches to become the majority broadcaster in the next contract.

Some of the points raised today in this thread are very similar to when BT Sport acquired the UK rights for the three years of PL rights that started this season. There was no mention of Ireland in the press release on that day just exactly as there was no mention of Ireland in the UEFA press announcement today just as there was not a mention of Ireland in each of the last CL press releases when Sky acquired the UK rights.

I fully expect that BT Sport will have full rights to Ireland. It would also be my expectation that by the time this new contract kicks in that there will be new developments for subscribers to BT Sport both here and in the UK to allow full access to all games via a red button or similar service.

As to Ireland and a limited choice of viewing for non-BT subscribers it is quite possible that these matches could be on Setanta available FTV rather than any of the existing terrestrial stations. It will be probably next April before we know this.

Just because the present Europa League coverage is blocked on BT Sport/ESPN does not necessarily mean that this will also be the case for the next contract, after all the UK announcement today was very different from the announcement of three years ago when the Champions League contract was awarded in April 2011 and the Europa League contract in October 2011.

In conclusion I am saying that it is a mistake to assume that just because Ireland is not mentioned in any of the press releases today means that Ireland's TV deal for coverage has not already been decided. I know if I was the CEO of BT bidding this massive amount of increased revenue to UEFA today I would want some extra bundles of right's thrown it.

This is nothing to do with UEFA but a lot of people here also assumed that there would be no PL 3pm KO games available on Irish TV this season which also proved not to be the case as a result of the Murphy case involving the Portsmouth publican.

I should also add that my opinions are entirely my own and I have very often been wrong in the past and could be this time as well.

On each of the occasions mentioned by you (including today's) the reason why Irish rights weren't mentioned is/was because Irish rights hadn't/haven't been decided.

The Cush wrote: »
    That's because the Irish rights are tendered separately, no date for this yet

There was no mention of Sky when the Irish TV rights were announced in 2012 - http://www.uefa.org/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1623933.html
    On each of the occasions mentioned by you (including today's) the reason why Irish rights weren't mentioned is/was because Irish rights hadn't/haven't been decided.

Just a simple question and I will ask it to you both. Did Sky subsequently have to bid extra in each of the last UEFA awarding of broadcasting contract's for Irish CL rights after they won the UK rights?

• Advertisement

Did Sky subsequently have to bid extra in each of the last UEFA awarding of broadcasting contract's for Irish CL rights after they won the UK rights?

No idea but we do know that Sky aren't listed as one of the RoI TV rights holders for the 2012-15 CL - http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/competitions/Marketing/01/55/41/62/1554162_DOWNLOAD.pdf

No idea but we do know that Sky aren't listed as one of the RoI TV rights holders for the 2012-15 CL - http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/competitions/Marketing/01/55/41/62/1554162_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Could have sworn I watched a match this week on Sky. Must have been mistaken. Strange too that the Sky logo is included as a broadcaster for the next available round of matches here

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/video/livematchcoverage/index.html

I am not trying to be pedantic here but am just stating that a precedent has been set in the past by UEFA and I can't understand why anybody would think that with a massive increase in the TV contract money as bid by BT Sport and accepted by Uefa and confirmed today would result in entirely different terms and conditions. With the winning broadcaster for the UK who broadcast into two different jurisdictions already just as the previous winning broadcaster did as well being now excluded from ROI rights.

Could have sworn I watched a match this week on Sky. Must have been mistaken. Strange too that the Sky logo is included as a broadcaster for the next available round of matches here

"Live match streaming and mobile coverage is provided by UEFA broadcast partners. Tune in each matchday for coverage details". No idea what their arrangement is for broadcast TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I think the idea that BT Sport have no interest in ROI sounds like wishful thinking, they have bought the irish rights to everything they have with one exception Europa league football, and that was only because that was not available to them, as Irish broadcasters had exclusive rights to Europa league football, however this is not the case with the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's going on there with sky & the irish rights?
    could setanta/rte/tv3 force sky to block them if they wished?

and how is it different from the EL, are they enforcing a block on it?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's going on there with sky & the irish rights?

According to the UEFA 2012 press release Setanta have the right to broadcast all remaining live games after RTÉ/TV3 first picks.

How many do they broadcast each match night and do Sky broadcast the rest?
    With regard to the UEFA Champions League, commercial broadcaster TV3 will show the best Tuesday match followed by a highlights programme each matchweek. On its channel RTE Two and simulcast on RTE HD, public broadcaster RTE will broadcast the best Wednesday match, as well as a Wednesday highlights programme each matchweek.

Pay-television operator Setanta Sports has been awarded the right to broadcast all remaining live matches and will broadcast each matchnight a highlights programme and a minimum of two live matches on Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1.

http://www.uefa.org/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=1791613.html

energy1942 wrote: »
    I think the idea that BT Sport have no interest in ROI sounds like wishful thinking, they have bought the irish rights to everything they have with one exception Europa league football, and that was only because that was not available to them, as Irish broadcasters had exclusive rights to Europa league football, however this is not the case with the CL.

Wishful thinking?

That's a strange assumption to make - I'm from Ireland and obviously the more chances I have to watch football the better, although I'll admit as long as I can see my own team I'm not really concerned about other matches.

My contribution to this thread came about for no more or less a reason than to advise that it is not an automatic given that BT Sport will transmit their Champions League coverage into this country. I'd imagine the cost of doing so might be minimal for them so it is probably likely - but it is not a given. And if it is geo-blocked, just like in the Europa League, Irish viewers will have to accept it.

ESPN - as you've already intimated - did not take the secondary Irish rights for the Europa League, despite the channel being available to whatever amount of Irish subscribers were quoted earlier in the thread.

In addition, we are talking a whole new set of rights here, whatever's happened previously no longer (necessarily) applies. All we can really do is wait and see.

To finish, I do believe BT's coverage of the Champions League will be available here. It is just not automatically so in relation to the deal signed last week.

I am not trying to be pedantic here but am just stating that a precedent has been set in the past by UEFA and I can't understand why anybody would think that with a massive increase in the TV contract money as bid by BT Sport and accepted by Uefa and confirmed today would result in entirely different terms and conditions. With the winning broadcaster for the UK who broadcast into two different jurisdictions already just as the previous winning broadcaster did as well being now excluded from ROI rights.

The rights under discussion are the 2015-18 rights. What's gone before - or happening now - is absolutely irrelevant. And the Irish rights have not yet been tendered.

I am not trying to be pedantic here but am just stating that a precedent has been set in the past by UEFA that at least one game per matchday has always been available FTA via a terrestrial network in the UK. Well, guess what...

Other countries have also seen "precedents" changed with new contracts.

So it really doesn't matter whether Sky paid 1p or a billion pounds for the secondary Irish rights in previous contracts (to answer your preceding post). What matters is what UEFA plan for the next contract. They may leave things as they are, if so we're all winners. But, they might not...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

According to the UEFA 2012 press release Setanta have the right to broadcast all remaining live games after RTÉ/TV3 first picks.

They are supposed to broadcast at least two games each match night during the group stages but have only broadcast one on Wednesdays this season, except in cases where there was an early game available to show (games in Russia and parts of eastern Europe kick off early because 20:45 CET would mean these games kicking off at nearly midnight local time).

What games Sky show are unaffected by the ROI rights holder's picks - there are often nights Sky will be showing the same games as either RTÉ/TV3 or Setanta. There are other nights when they will pick a completely different game. Sky can show all but the first pick game on a Tuesday and all games on a Wednesday. Normally at least one game, sometimes two or more, will be shown on a linear Sky Sports channel (utilising two channels if needs be) and all other games will be on the Red Button. On match day 5, Wednesday 27th November, for example, they will be showing two games on Sky Sports 2 (with an early game in Russia), one on Sky Sports 4 and all the remainder on the Red Button.

The situation regarding how Sky's games can be deliberately shown in Ireland seems to be unclear - UEFA turning "a blind eye" would be the first thing that comes to mind however UEFA actively promotes Sky's coverage in ROI on its website. Seems to be some sort of gentleman's agreement.

icdg wrote: »
    The situation regarding how Sky's games can be deliberately shown in Ireland seems to be unclear - UEFA turning "a blind eye" would be the first thing that comes to mind however UEFA actively promotes Sky's coverage in ROI on its website. Seems to be some sort of gentleman's agreement.

Turning "a blind eye" is the first thing that comes to your mind. Mind you, judging by the mood of the Irish people based on just a couple of posts on this thread I guess UEFA probably fear the kind of uprising that may come about thanks to geo-blocking that would make the British piss themselves with gratitude that it wasn't football rights that they fought a civil war in this country over.

Listen, the only thing UEFA turn a blind eye to is racism.

I find it strange that anybody could come to the conclusion that a blind eye has been turned by UEFA when it comes to the rights to the most lucrative football tournament on the planet yet geo-blocking is enforced for the Europa League. I mean, come on? If Sky had that kind of influence over UEFA the "BT have won exclusive rights for the CL (in the UK)" part of this thread wouldn't exist. Sky surely were readying themselves for their gentlemen's handshake.

In relation to BT, let's face it, I've hinted at it so many times it's getting tiresome repeating it - their core business is telephony. Unless the landscape changes dramatically (and assuming they intend to show every match in the tournament - let me remind you all that having the rights to every match in a competition is different from intention to show every match in a tournament) they haven't got the satellite capacity to show every match in this neck of the woods, let alone in the UK.

However, in the UK they have got the capacity to do it via broadband. Sure, they might be in a position to do it via satellite come August 2015. But why go to that trouble and expense for the non-British teams though? And, (the crux of the matter) why go to the trouble and expense for Irish subscribers who will be (judging by that infamous precedent thing) getting the major games in the Group matchdays via Irish TV anyway?

The Irish rights have still to be decided - again, how many times does it need to be reiterated? Until then, nobody knows what way we'll be viewing the tournament from 2015 onwards. And, FFS!, anything that's gone before means absolutely nothing to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

sky show 15 matches a week here, the only one they don't is the one on ITV

what i was looking to find out was how or why they are able to this - at the minute for anyone with satellite, the irish rights don't matter one iota, well from what i see anyway - when the EL is geoblocked

icdg & radiowawes touched on it, though have different opinions on how it's come about/allowed

batistuta9 wrote: »
    sky show 15 matches a week here, the only one they don't is the one on ITV

what i was looking to find out was how or why they are able to this - at the minute for anyone with satellite, the irish rights don't matter one iota, well from what i see anyway - when the EL is geoblocked

icdg & radiowawes touched on it, though have different opinions on how it's come about/allowed

None of us really know, we can all just make educated guesses based on the evidence (m'lud).

ICDG may have hit a nail on the head. There may well be some sort of agreement in place - but maybe it's between Sky and our local broadcasters. I don't know how much RTÉ/TV3/Setanta currently pay, and whether this is low thanks to Sky's presence, but with RTÉ Two's CL coverage geo-blocked (not to mention EL into this country) it is certainly not UEFA policy to just overlook cross-border broadcasts.

Had Sky come to an agreement not to buy exclusive rights in return for no objection to co-existing rights? Did UEFA's insistence that some matches be available FTA play a part? Sky's recent Sky One experiment suggests they knew BT's massive bid was imminent and that FTA broadcasts would also be an issue.

One thing's for sure - BT don't have the same clout in Ireland as Sky do and have nothing to offer in return.

Plus, in Ireland, BT is part of the Setanta pack. In the UK it is a standalone broadcaster and broadcasts on platforms other than Sky.

How much all or any of this will affect coverage and what's allowed in this country is simply speculation, but again, my contributions are more to advise that it is not a given that we will see all or any of BT's CL coverage in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

None of us really know, we can all just make educated guesses based on the evidence (m'lud).

ICDG may have hit a nail on the head. There may well be some sort of agreement in place - but maybe it's between Sky and our local broadcasters. I don't know how much RTÉ/TV3/Setanta currently pay, and whether this is low thanks to Sky's presence, but with RTÉ Two's CL coverage geo-blocked (not to mention EL into this country) it is certainly not UEFA policy to just overlook cross-border broadcasts.

Had Sky come to an agreement not to buy exclusive rights in return for no objection to co-existing rights? Did UEFA's insistence that some matches be available FTA play a part? Sky's recent Sky One experiment suggests they knew BT's massive bid was imminent and that FTA broadcasts would also be an issue.

One thing's for sure - BT don't have the same clout in Ireland as Sky do and have nothing to offer in return.

Plus, in Ireland, BT is part of the Setanta pack. In the UK it is a standalone broadcaster and broadcasts on platforms other than Sky.

How much all or any of this will affect coverage and what's allowed in this country is simply speculation, but again, my contributions are more to advise that it is not a given that we will see all or any of BT's CL coverage in this country.

Ryle nugent was quoted unofficially the last time as saying rte pay around 1million per year. this was a reduction in price compared to the last rights period.

Ryle nugent was quoted unofficially the last time as saying rte pay around 1million per year. this was a reduction in price compared to the last rights period.
    If it is about €1 million then its a bargain at that price... the biggest football games in Europe along with the final. If it was that price I cannot understand why TV3 did not sacrifice their Talifornia/Xpose etc. budget and win Tue/Wen and final rights... I suppose its no surprise that they have feel into their current economic trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

irishfeen wrote: »
    If it is about €1 million then its a bargain at that price... the biggest football games in Europe along with the final. If it was that price I cannot understand why TV3 did not sacrifice their Talifornia/Xpose etc. budget and win Tue/Wen and final rights... I suppose its no surprise that they have feel into their current economic trouble.

Well at that much for a market like Ireland it would be hard to make a profit. £1 million for one Match Night a week is huge money, They'd have to make about 100,000 a match night to break even. That would be doable when the english teams are playing, but if you had a season were there were no english teams in the quarter finals you could end up losing a lot of money. One night a week is worth the risk as it's unlikely, but both nights would be a big gamble, especially when a profit is likely showing repeats of Ireland's biggest Criminals or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

They didnt because they were so heavily dependent on ITV programming that they went for the same option that ITV took

Well at that much for a market like Ireland it would be hard to make a profit. £1 million for one Match Night a week is huge money, They'd have to make about 100,000 a match night to break even. That would be doable when the english teams are playing, but if you had a season were there were no english teams in the quarter finals you could end up losing a lot of money. One night a week is worth the risk as it's unlikely, but both nights would be a big gamble, especially when a profit is likely showing repeats of Ireland's biggest Criminals or such like.
    He said €1 million per year, not per match day... if it is €1 million per year (I don't know) then it seems like a bargain... its massive business here.

They didnt because they were so heavily dependent on ITV programming that they went for the same option that ITV took
    Funny how it has now turned around now and has threatened the entire station - the resilience on ITV programming. I don't understand why TV3 don't go after sports rights in a big way - things like the CL, Premier League highlights etc would guarantee them viewership.

He said €1 million per year, not per match day... if it is €1 million per year (I don't know) then it seems like a bargain... its massive business here.

Yes, I know, that's why I said "£1 million for one Match Night a week is huge money" But I can see where the misunderstanding would arise.

• Advertisement

. I don't understand why TV3 don't go after sports rights in a big way - things like the CL, Premier League highlights etc would guarantee them viewership.

It wouldn't guarantee them viewership beyond the group stages. There's a level of risk once you get to the knockout stages. If there are no English or Scottish teams the viewing figures drop dramatically. The only two clubs outside of those that would keep viewing figures respectable would be Real Madrid or Barcelona.

To justify such a gamble you'd have to either be a Public Service Broadcaster with some guaranteed funding, or make a very healthy profit on the purchase. One night is probably worth the risk, but two nights it becomes riskier.

Sports for Free to Air Stations are not as tempting these days when you have to pay so much in rights. Especially when you can just throw on a soap and make more money and not annoy your core audience. (in TV3's case women who like soaps.)

Advertisement