Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

billyhead wrote: »
    Is it being pulled across the civil service i.e other departments surely they cant bin the scheme in one department and then carry it on in another?:confused:

Not too sure , the girls in the dept weren't 100% sure if it is going to be axed , I would have thought they would know by now , I just told herself to go for it now rather than miss out on it , plus she won't have the deductions out of her salary throughout the year by paying for it in one payment , I understand what your saying , you would think that if it is being stopped in one section of the civil it would be stopped in them all ....... Mabey it will be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

billyhead wrote: »
    Is it being pulled across the civil service i.e other departments surely they cant bin the scheme in one department and then carry it on in another?:confused:

Haven't heard of any other state dept not running it next year.

I can't understand why various depts aren't running it as it costs them nothing other than to set up an additional payment to be taken from ones wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

I was hoping to buy from wiggle. What is the procedure for the public sector?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

imonboard wrote: »
    I was hoping to buy from wiggle. What is the procedure for the public sector?
    Thanks

Depends what department you are in or where specifically you work, some areas don't do it at all (see a few posts back) some do it through B2W companies, others in conjunction with specific shops and others let you go through whoever you like. Long story short, it might be quicker to ask your payroll department.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Tax free bikes have wiggle in their books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Tax free bikes have wiggle in their books
    I don't see that on their site. Will the bike not cost more through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Well I just picked up my new bike yesterday under the cycle to work scheme.

A specialized allez elite.
    Also picked myself up a pearl izumi barrier jacket, a new abus lock and a front and rear light.
    Going to get a helmet and pump at the weekend and may even splash out on one of those garmin's.

The only difficulty I am having with the bike at the moment is those god damn pedals that you snug your foot into (I know I'm not using the correct terminology here).

I see a lot of cycling on the horizon this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Do Slane Cycles offer the BTW scheme on their bikes? Apologies if this has already been asked. Cheers

donal7 wrote: »
    Do Slane Cycles offer the BTW scheme on their bikes? Apologies if this has already been asked. Cheers
    All bike shops will, all they have to do is provide a quote as it is just a sale to them. Some will advertise that they offer it but they all do (unless they can't Provide a quote).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's your employer that determines if any restrictions will be placed on where the bike is purchased from. Some will only deal with certain suppliers, so you do need to check with your payroll/HR department whether they do impose any restrictions

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    It's your employer that determines if any restrictions will be placed on where the bike is purchased from.
    Should have clarified that, if your employer says no to a certain shop then there is nothing that you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Hi,
    My employer wants to make all cycle to work deduction - 1000 Eur from a single month i.e December.

I reckon this will mean not enough taxable income to get the benefit at the top rate whereas if this was a month earlier in the year It would balance out over the year.

Will my payslip be adjusted to give me a tax refund in the pay cheque, or will I effectively be only getting it at the low rate and have to ask for a balancing statement.

I tried asking my payroll people but they are busy with all the regular December and end of year stuff.

Now for a non related question, if I was to resign from my company and be self employed from Jan 1st, when I come to do the balancing statement for 2013 will revenue balk and say nah you are not in PAYE employment and therefore not honour the tax free benefit of the cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Payroll systems work on a cumulative basis so providing that your cumulative taxable income to December, less the 1,000 for the back to work scheme leaves you in the higher tax band, then your biketowork will be at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

G-Man wrote: »
    Hi,
    Now for a non related question, if I was to resign from my company and be self employed from Jan 1st, when I come to do the balancing statement for 2013 will revenue balk and say nah you are not in PAYE employment and therefore not honour the tax free benefit of the cycle to work.

No Revenue won't have a problem with you no longer being employed from Jan 14 so long as your salary sacrifice is fully complete, which it sounds like it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

I heard recently about Bike Shops passing on the fee they're charged by the broker or voucher processing companies. Has anyone heard of this? There's a brief mention of it on the 1st page of this thread but I can't find any more info on it. Figures of 10% of the purchase were mentioned. I can't see how this is fair. This is a deal between the bike shop and the broker. If they want to bake some of that in to the price, fine but 10% seems extortionate and I would assume is bending the tax rules a bit i.e. you're not really getting your full monies' worth of equipment but you are paying your tax on the full amount.

dogsears wrote: »
    No Revenue won't have a problem with you no longer being employed from Jan 14 so long as your salary sacrifice is fully complete, which it sounds like it will be.
    The company would take the remainder of the salary sacrafice out of your last paycheck if there was anything left anyway. The government don't care (in relation to the scheme) wether you retain your employment or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Eglinton wrote: »
    I heard recently about Bike Shops passing on the fee they're charged by the broker or voucher processing companies. Has anyone heard of this? There's a brief mention of it on the 1st page of this thread but I can't find any more info on it. Figures of 10% of the purchase were mentioned. I can't see how this is fair. This is a deal between the bike shop and the broker. If they want to bake some of that in to the price, fine but 10% seems extortionate and I would assume is bending the tax rules a bit i.e. you're not really getting your full monies' worth of equipment but you are paying your tax on the full amount.

This cropped up for me earlier this week. My company uses Bikes4work.ie to get vouchers for the bike shops so they are only paying out to a single company and not multiple shops directly. I finally got my voucher now and wanted to get the LBS to order in a bike for me. The shop owner knocked €75 off the RRP of the bike but said that was the best he could do as One4All take 10% of the voucher value.

I was suprised by this as all over the Bikes4work.ie site it states "OUR SERVICE IS FREE OF CHARGE" :rolleyes:

10% = €100 for a voucher :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

10% of a €1k transaction just for doing some paperwork that's probably 99% automated anyway seems poor value, but the employers don't care because someone else pays it. Thankfully my employer does it direct, so they just handed me a cheque. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Just got a bike on the bike to work scheme. Wondering about insurance can anyone recommend a good bike insurance scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Hi all.
    Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for changing jobs during the scheme?

• Advertisement

Jabel wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for changing jobs during the scheme?
    None, if there is any remaining payments to the company you work for now, they should take it as a lump sum out of your final paycheck and that is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi

I'm looking to purchase a bike through the education department, and want to get it from the Canyon website but there seems to be a few issues:

- their Cycle To Work Scheme Application Form says bikes can only be purchased from certain providers but the link they give no longer works: http://www.opw.ie/en/OurBusinessUnits/GovernmentSuppliesAgency/Cycle-to-WorkScheme/. This means I've no idea where I can purchase a bike from.

- the form also seems slightly conflicting saying "Please ensure that the bank account is within the Republic of Ireland and will support the Electronic Money Transfer System." while also saying later "Where the supplier’s bank account is not based in the Republic of Ireland there may be an additional nominal fee to facilitate the payment to the supplier by the Electronic Money Transfer System, which will be included in the salary sacrifice figure.". So I'm assuming I can buy a bike from outside of Ireland but I'll be charged the transfer fee.

I'm finding this confusing, so just wondering if anyone can tell me if they managed to buy from the Canyon website through the educational department cycle to work scheme? And if not, does anyone know who I could contact to find out?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I got a bike about 2.5/3years ago, fully paid up, so now I'm in a new job can a get another bike (I think not) but could I ask my job for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

robertxxx wrote: »
    I got a bike about 2.5/3years ago, fully paid up, so now I'm in a new job can a get another bike (I think not) but could I ask my job for it.
    No. You can only do it once every 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Walnutsink

doyler442 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking to purchase a bike through the education department, and want to get it from the Canyon website but there seems to be a few issues:

- their Cycle To Work Scheme Application Form says bikes can only be purchased from certain providers but the link they give no longer works: http://www.opw.ie/en/OurBusinessUnits/GovernmentSuppliesAgency/Cycle-to-WorkScheme/. This means I've no idea where I can purchase a bike from.

- the form also seems slightly conflicting saying "Please ensure that the bank account is within the Republic of Ireland and will support the Electronic Money Transfer System." while also saying later "Where the supplier’s bank account is not based in the Republic of Ireland there may be an additional nominal fee to facilitate the payment to the supplier by the Electronic Money Transfer System, which will be included in the salary sacrifice figure.". So I'm assuming I can buy a bike from outside of Ireland but I'll be charged the transfer fee.

I'm finding this confusing, so just wondering if anyone can tell me if they managed to buy from the Canyon website through the educational department cycle to work scheme? And if not, does anyone know who I could contact to find out?

Cheers

You could talk nicely to your local bike shop and see if they would buy it for you then you buy it from them. I started down this route but ended up getting a good deal on a similar spec bike with now waiting so I went for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@Doyler442
    It's your HR / payroll section that you need to ask. I believe an Irish VAT would be required by Canyon but not 100% on that point.

robertxxx wrote: »
    TychoCaine wrote: »
    No. You can only do it once every 5 years.
    I have done this and had no issues, there is discussion elsewhere in the forum/thread about this and the wording appears IMO to suggest once every five years per employment, ie new employment means an opportunity to use the scheme again. Probably not the intention of the scheme but that's my opinion on it.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    @Doyler442
    It's your HR / payroll section that you need to ask. I believe an Irish VAT would be required by Canyon but not 100% on that point.
    You can buy the bike from anywhere your employer allows, so it does not always require Irish VAT eg buying from a small UK company.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can buy the bike from anywhere your employer allows, so it does not always require Irish VAT eg buying from a small UK company.
    It depends on the VAT status of both the retailer and the employer:
    Beasty wrote: »
    Assuming the employer is registered for VAT in Ireland, and the bike is bought from an Irish retailer, the position is straightforward. The retailer charges 23% VAT, and the employer cannot claim it back. The same situation arises where the UK retailer is registered for Irish VAT (eg Wiggle)

If the employer is registered for VAT in Ireland and the bike is bought from a UK (or other non-Irish) retailer that is not registered for VAT in Ireland (which is often the case, the main exceptions being Wiggle and ChainReactionCycles), the employer should provide the retailer with its Irish VAT number. The retailer should then not charge any VAT. However the employer should then self-account for Irish VAT at 23%, and is unable to recover it. If the employer does not provide it's Irish VAT number, you end up paying both UK VAT (on the initial purchase) and Irish VAT (under the self-accounting system) - there is a procedure to recover the UK VAT paid but it is very messy and time-consuming, so it's better not to go there!

In all the above examples, the net position is that irrecoverable Irish VAT at 21% is suffered. It is perhaps important to note that if you are looking at prices with 20% UK VAT that come to just under €1,000, the extra 1% may bring you above the €1,000 threshhold. In this case, only the excess is a taxable benefit in kind.

The one situation where Irish VAT is not paid is where the employer is not registered for Irish VAT (not normally the case, but possible, particularly for low turnover or financial service companies). In this case the retailer charges UK VAT at 20%, but there is no mechanism for the employer to charge itself Irish VAT. Hence the VAT cost is 20% in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi

Thanks for you replies - the employer in this case is the department of education, but as I mentioned they supply a link to a page that is suppose to contain the retailers that they support but that page no longer exists so its extremely annoying.

I just wanted to see if anyone in here had gone through the department when buying a bike from Canyon - I'll have a look round and see if I can figure something out and it might benefit others in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@CramCycle and Doyler442
    Beasty is correct. (not sure CRC are IE VAT reg-they were not when I was looking to buy)
    The issue of VAT and it's accounting is a massive deciding factor on whether an employer (semi-state) will allow a purchase from another country. My employer will permit it from anywhere, once they have an Irish VAT no., invoice in Euro and a tax clearance cert.
    @Doyler-I had to chase HR for a definitive answer on CRC in 2013, so I think you need to do the same for Canyon.

Advertisement