Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sheep Photo Thread

• 02-11-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Thought i would start one of these

Used for Breeding Mules
    Blackface Hornys.jpg

Some of The Ewes
    Ewes.jpg

Ewe Lambs
    Ewe Lambs.jpg

Bring the camera with ye next time your out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Nice one Razor, I had been thinking of this earlier today but had no new photos to show :) Liking the blackies ;)

Just after noticing the long tails?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

they came with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

razor8 wrote: »
    they came with them!

Was the one on the right tipped at all or did you use no raddle the first week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

3 days to go before first cycle complete so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

razor8 wrote: »
    Thought i would start one of these

Used for Breeding Mules
    Blackface Hornys.jpg

Some of The Ewes
    Ewes.jpg

Ewe Lambs
    Ewe Lambs.jpg

Bring the camera with ye next time your out

Smashing sheep there razor, was looking at the ewes today and was thinking i should've of brought the camera with me, they were lining themselves up nicely. Definintely will get a few pics. I like your Cha ram, fine sheep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

premier10 wrote: »
    Smashing sheep there razor, was looking at the ewes today and was thinking i should've of brought the camera with me, they were lining themselves up nicely. Definintely will get a few pics. I like your Cha ram, fine sheep

I put this on another thread earlier but seen as it's up it suits this better. My new Charolais ram lamb getting ready for his big day. Didn't take him long to figure out what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Rams went out yesterday here, some pics

First charollais ram lamb bought this year
    2nd hogget charollais and Lleyn ram lamb
    3rd 6 home bred rams 4 full brothers in the pic

Cran wrote: »

Are they all going to different flocks or are they all out together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Are the ram lambs for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭eire23

Fine sheep cran. Bought our first charollais this year, there fairly lively arent they? or our fella is anyways.

What breeding is behind the lleyn ram lamb if ya dont mind me asking? pm if ya want.

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    Fine sheep cran. Bought our first charollais this year, there fairly lively arent they? or our fella is anyways.

What breeding is behind the lleyn ram lamb if ya dont mind me asking? pm if ya want.

Thanks Eire, ye have mainly used Charollais for years since early 90s hard to beat them for factory lambs. Have a small pedigree flock here now started up over past couple of years. The Lleyn is from Michael Keegan's flock he's jumped out of it since coming here.

Rancher none of the rams pictured are for sale, the Charollais lamb was champion at premier this year. I've sold hoggets up to now last one went to customer last week, but have this years lambs April born to run into Hoggets. I actually let out one with some ewes yesterday he's got super figures and a huge lamb but mouth isn't perfect so going to keep him. Also running one April born with some pedigree ewe lambs, he's top for production figures across Charollais 2013 lambs.

Sea12 I manage my own flock plus fathers & uncles, all in 18 rams out yesterday. Most together was 6 into field of 300 ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Ya lose an wrote: »
    Thanks Eire, ye have mainly used Charollais for years since early 90s hard to beat them for factory lambs. Have a small pedigree flock here now started up over past couple of years. The Lleyn is from Michael Keegan's flock he's jumped out of it since coming here.

Rancher none of the rams pictured are for sale, the Charollais lamb was champion at premier this year. I've sold hoggets up to now last one went to customer last week, but have this years lambs April born to run into Hoggets. I actually let out one with some ewes yesterday he's got super figures and a huge lamb but mouth isn't perfect so going to keep him. Also running one April born with some pedigree ewe lambs, he's top for production figures across Charollais 2013 lambs.

Sea12 I manage my own flock plus fathers & uncles, all in 18 rams out yesterday. Most together was 6 into field of 300 ewes.

Cran do ya lose many rams when you mix them. In big numbers. With fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

That must be a fairly big field!;)

The 6 spent the summer together, plan all along was to let them out together. Think only 2 rams went out in one field that hadn't been together, be a little wary if not use to each other .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I bought a few sheep from a lad up in North Co. Dublin last week. He was telling me that his father runs a flock of 1000 ewes. Passing the house on the ay home, there was a paddock with about 30 rams in it . Wouldn't like to see a fight in there.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Moving the girls at the weekend

278848.JPG

Got this lad as a replacement, lleyn lamb ram. Will put him out this week.
    Its not a great pic, will try to get a better one...

278850.JPG

thats the kind of fencing I aspire to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

thats the kind of fencing I aspire to!

Don't let that fool you into thinking the whole place is like that Iver - I could take plenty pictures of ditches with bits of bushes blocking holes in them :(

I bought a few sheep from a lad up in North Co. Dublin last week. He was telling me that his father runs a flock of 1000 ewes. Passing the house on the ay home, there was a paddock with about 30 rams in it . Wouldn't like to see a fight in there.............

Survival of the fittest :-)

• Advertisement

And not just the Rams..
    Was an Ad. on donedeal, arranged to meet at a local village pub in north Co. Dublin. Now the lad had specified cash only acceptable.
    So waiting at the pub and this motorcyclist pulls up, full face helmet, and tells me to follow him. So we are heading down this boreen and I suddenly got a bit nervous, too much Love/Hate, I suppose.
    Have you ever tried to hide a couple of grand cash in a jeep while trying to get a wheel brace from under the seat while following a lad on a motor-bike down a back road?:D

Anyway, was 100%:)

And not just the Rams..
    Was an Ad. on donedeal, arranged to meet at a local village pub in north Co. Dublin. Now the lad had specified cash only acceptable.
    So waiting at the pub and this motorcyclist pulls up, full face helmet, and tells me to follow him. So we are heading down this boreen and I suddenly got a bit nervous, too much Love/Hate, I suppose.
    Have you ever tried to hide a couple of grand cash in a jeep while trying to get a wheel brace from under the seat while following a lad on a motor-bike down a back road?:D

Anyway, was 100%:)

Haha classic

Haha classic

I know allot of people only want cash as security but Out of curiosity. How do u put this through your accounts if it's all cash or were they short kept?

when withdrawing the cash get the bank to mark it as "3O lambs" or whatever to show up on the statement. together with the page from the other lads sales book should cover you.

Found this while out tonight. She's one of the ewes picked to bred replacements lucky not picked for intelligence

Its important not to breed from the really bright ones, otherwise they Will soon be smarter than us .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Found this while out tonight. She's one of the ewes picked to bred replacements lucky not picked for intelligence

the ram may not have liked the look of her and put the bucket on her when doing the business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

the ram may not have liked the look of her and put the bucket on her when doing the business
    True, but you don't have to look at the mantle piece when poking the fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I dont think rams worry too much about the mantle piece.
    My fella seems to favor the one eared hog-mouth. I was never fussy but had better standards than that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

This is my ''wet area''
    Dipping bath with guillotine gate
    2013-11-07 11.19.12.jpg
    Footbath...don't like footbathing mid mating but it was a case
    of having to be done
    2013-11-07 11.20.04.jpg

Footbath holds 40 ewes and needs 2 bags zinc sulphate to get 10% solution
    We use a hydrometer to test the solution and a lot of people have asked about it since our Grassland Association farm walk last year.
    Fill a 1litre mineral bottle from the footbath with a jug and drop the hydrometer into it and read it at the level of the water
    The hydrometer costs about €5+p+p Here's a pic and the zinc sulphate measurement is on the right of the hydrometer and the website to buy it is at the top
    Hydrometer.docx

Muck kills formalin whereas zinc sulphate works even if the water is dirty so we can leave it for weeks if it doesn't rain too much

Advertisement