Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

• 02-10-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

Thought I d throw this up see if theres any interest.
    Opinions on new backroom team,reasons for departure of old one, McGuinness claim that his players had 9 games in 11 weeks during championship season, possible new players or anything else!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Very interesting year ahead of ye

Ye were never going to be in contention this year IMO given the amount winning the AI took out of ye

Relegation from the league really wasn't advisable though, no matter what Jimmy says

That said ye bate Tyrone this year and if ye could do it again next year I think ye'd win Ulster. The draw on Thurs could tell alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

Agree we were never really contenders last year-winnin and celebratin an all ireland takes alot out of any team,particularly in a county that doesnt win too many and a style of play that is as labour intensive as Donegal.Throw in a few injuries and no squad depth and you re in trouble.

Obviously the Tyrone game fooled us all to some extent, although its always funny to hear the Monday morning quarterbacks telling us later in the year that they saw the writing on the wall all along.They were spouting the same rubbish bout our league form-our league performances were actually BETTER this year than last year. Personally I dont mind playing in Div 2 next year.I dont think we need more winter grudge matches with Tyrone and Mayo and another relegation dogfight.

TBH I dont see us as contenders next year either-basically I think McGuinness pulled off one of the greatest managerial coups ever winning the all ireland with that group of players and it would be a miracle to do it twice- I think we probably have the fifth best squad in terms of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

harpsman wrote: »
    Agree we were never really contenders last year-winnin and celebratin an all ireland takes alot out of any team,particularly in a county that doesnt win too many and a style of play that is as labour intensive as Donegal.Throw in a few injuries and no squad depth and you re in trouble.

Obviously the Tyrone game fooled us all to some extent, although its always funny to hear the Monday morning quarterbacks telling us later in the year that they saw the writing on the wall all along.They were spouting the same rubbish bout our league form-our league performances were actually BETTER this year than last year. Personally I dont mind playing in Div 2 next year.I dont think we need more winter grudge matches with Tyrone and Mayo and another relegation dogfight.

TBH I dont see us as contenders next year either-basically I think McGuinness pulled off one of the greatest managerial coups ever winning the all ireland with that group of players and it would be a miracle to do it twice- I think we probably have the fifth best squad in terms of talent.

Well there were plenty here telling us that Donegal were a real contender for 2013.
    The league relegation is a big problem for Donegal, and the fact that they did better in the league in 2013 than in 2012 matter not a hoot cos they got relegated in 2013
    Ulster has become more competitive in 2014, Tyrone will improve, Cavan are beginning to build and will learn a lot from 2013, Monagahn may not learn as much but as defending champs they will be competitive.
    So playing against the lesser lights in Div 2 will not be of the same benefit to Donegal as playing Div 1 would be when they get to the summer.
    That being said they could be a Semi Final team come August depending how draws go etc
    Jimmy's commitment to Celtic and his new back room team will have a big baring on how they get on.

Agree about relegation being a bit of a problem ^^

Also agree that depending on draw Donegal could well go deep in the All Ireland

Fine their season will be remembered for that drubbing at Mayo but still I thought there were some positives for champ. Fine they didn't win Ulster but it really was an inspired Monaghan they faced in their own back garden

Beat Down playing poorly, which is always a good sign of a team and beat Tyrone with a good professional performance IMO. Tyrone who had just made a league final

The Laois result was really underrated IMO. They're only the second team to do the 6 day turnaround or something mad like that. Laois aren't a pushover and made quarters the year before and had built up huge momentum this year with 3 qualifier wins under their belt. It's not easy get back up after a disappointing loss, just ask Kerry in 2012 who probably should have been knocked out by Westmeath. The two most important players were missing too in Lacey and McHugh

No, as a Mayo man I'd rather see ye out nice and early if at all possible- with respect. Everything fell our way this year, it certainly wouldn't be near as easy again if we met ye next year, especially if ye had momentum built up

The draw will tell a lot tonight though. Ye had a tough Ulster draw last year in all fairness. I'll decide whether I fancy ye for Ulster or not when I see it I think (cop out I know!)

We did start 2011 in Div 2 and won it,Ulster and got to AI semi where we lost to eventual champions by 2 points so Id probably take that again.
    Not too many easy draws in Ulster next year.

• Advertisement

We did start 2011 in Div 2 and won it,Ulster and got to AI semi where we lost to eventual champions by 2 points so Id probably take that again.
    Not too many easy draws in Ulster next year.

Maybe not but if ye got Antrim round 1 and a winner of Fermanagh and Armagh in round 2 I couldn't see ye being too disappointed

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Maybe not but if ye got Antrim round 1 and a winner of Fermanagh and Armagh in round 2 I couldn't see ye being too disappointed
    Id take that draw.
    Also,Donegal and Mayo on opposite side of draw next year so if both teams on form wont meet til final-which I think wed both take;)

Id take that draw.
    Also,Donegal and Mayo on opposite side of draw next year so if both teams on form wont meet til final-which I think wed both take;)

That's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Derry not a bad draw

Super draw for ye. Ye'll certainly make Ulster final anyway. I'd have ye faves for Ulster now based on that

Ye could take beating lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Dont know about being faves Gerry. But a good draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

Thought I d throw this up see if theres any interest.
    Opinions on new backroom team,reasons for departure of old one, McGuinness claim that his players had 9 games in 11 weeks during championship season, possible new players or anything else!!
    iv more or less given up on the sports threads in the donegal forum... will probably do better here alright.
    the county championship being rolled into a few weeks was a massive contributor too. Its mcguinness' & id say a few players last hurrahs this year so we may have a chance IF we have a fit squad. if bonner keeps his head in check i think he will be a good addition too. could see himself & gallagher in midfield with the 2mchughs & kavanagh at half forward.

great draw for us in ulster... wary of McIvor but not sure if derry have the squad to be up to too much. happy to see down/tyrone/monaghan/cavan (who i think will push on this year... altho still lose the semi) take each other out

Whaddya mean? Derry are div1 and we re div2 so they ll be overwhelming favourites by your earlier logic!! All in all a decent draw. All joking aside going to celtic park gonna be tough- ive alot of respect for mciver. Think derry could be dangerous.

overshoot wrote: »
    iv more or less given up on the sports threads in the donegal forum... will probably do better here alright.

the county championship being rolled into a few weeks was a massive contributor too. Its mcguinness' & id say a few players last hurrahs this year so we may have a chance IF we have a fit squad. if bonner keeps his head in check i think he will be a good addition too. could see himself & gallagher in midfield with the 2mchughs & kavanagh at half forward.

great draw for us in ulster... wary of McIvor but not sure if derry have the squad to be up to too much. happy to see down/tyrone/monaghan/cavan (who i think will push on this year... altho still lose the semi) take each other out

Who's Bonner?

Whaddya mean? Derry are div1 and we re div2 so they ll be overwhelming favourites by your earlier logic!! All in all a decent draw. All joking aside going to celtic park gonna be tough- ive alot of respect for mciver. Think derry could be dangerous.

As in a problem if ye met Down, Monaghan or Tyrone early perhaps! With that draw I can't see it being an issue though

Derry flatter to deceive ye'll get through it

Who's Bonner?

Additions to the squad for 2014;
    McGuinness also confirmed that he had added to the squad with the inclusion of Ciaran Bonner (Glenswilly), Leon Thompson (Naomh Conaill), Christy Toye, Antoin McFadden (St. Michael’s), Conor Classon (Ardara), Thomas McKinley (Naomh Colmcille), Hugh McFadden (Killybegs), Stephen McLaughlin (Malin) and Darach O’Connor (Buncrana).
    good player, was in the squad before, think he was part of the Div1 winning team in 07, i think hes 28. good player (...discipline, think it was why he was dropped), a doubt for the county semi this weekend tho,

good player, was in the squad before, think he was part of the Div1 winning team in 07, i think hes 28. good player (...discipline, think it was why he was dropped), a doubt for the county semi this weekend tho,

You're right I remember him well now come to think of it, brain is fried!

Cheers

As in a problem if ye met Down, Monaghan or Tyrone early perhaps! With that draw I can't see it being an issue though

Derry flatter to deceive ye'll get through it
    Agree they to tend to flatter to deceive,still wont be takin em for granted.
    Dont think Donegal have played a championship match in Derry in my lifetime so will be a novelty.

Decent player alright- you would have to wonder why he hasnt been involved for the best years of his career-last i remember of him is having his jaw broken by Colm Mc Fadden-that will be interesting.

• Advertisement

Leon Thompson v handy too by all accounts-again discipline a possible issue.
    Actually is he the little guy that played in 06?-handy but v small

Leon Thompson v handy too by all accounts-again discipline a possible issue.
    Actually is he the little guy that played in 06?-handy but v small
    yea anthoneys older brother, thought his disipline was alright... could be wrong. he broke his leg very badly last time he was involved, not sure if he was the same player after, although i havnt seen him in a while so he could be back to his old form

Glenswilly lucky to go through to the final, had it wrapped up and did their best to let Ardara back into it, better forwards (main difference glenswilly were ruthless in their attacks) and it probably would have been a defeat, ardara hit the post with the last kick of the game.

Bonner still showing as a bit of a liability too, glenswilly player down made out as if he was stamped on, i didnt see it, and given bonners delayed reaction he didnt either, still didnt stop him jumping in (he was the only one to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,274 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

K-9 wrote: »
    He did some mouthing last year for a second in command, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with himself and McGuinness not being on the same team.

Donegal lost the myth they had in 2011 and 2012. Mayo and monaghan took care of that. However regardless they have a great spine IMHO with two of the best forwards in the game, and mcbrearty is handy too. Adding 5 or 6 fresh players with 2 or so being decent will be huge for Donegal IMHO. On their day the defence is the best in Ireland, defensively I rate Donegal 2011 & 2012 as the best in the country, only Mayo could challenge that.
    Don't forget that Murphy is still a top three player he has great drive too and is a leader.

Looking at all that, if McGuinness gets his head on, grabs some fresh blood rather than talking about doing it (that's all he did last year) Donegal will be serious contenders this year, a top three team, and winners too.

Love your optimism stoner.
    Not too confident myself,would be delighted with an Ulster win and AI semi.

i think we have a good chance if everyone stays fit, we dont have a squad although might have an improved bench this year due to less injuries and the few additions (ryan mchugh, bonner, toye, thompson back)

it took serious hunger in 2011/12 to do that, and im convinced its a few players & mcguinness' last year so they could give a right go at it. I dont think we lost the myth, we couldnt perfrom like the 2012 team, simple. Tyrone really put it up to us last year, played us at our/their? own game, were getting in behind and we managed to come through it. if they had that intensity this year they probably would have beaten us. it was our best performance by far this year but not at any of the 2012 levels

Tyrone got to an ulster semi and AI quarter in 04 (us/mayo)
    first round of ulster and second of the qualifiers (laois) in 06 (after taking 2 games to beat louth in round 1), ulster win and AI semi in 09

if you look at teams who hadnt enjoyed repeated AI success and were used to winning (so exclude kerry and tyrone's third attempt), Armagh is the only team who came close to retaining their all Ireland since the qualifiers came in.

on another note, anyone at the county final, was away so didnt get to it,
    based on the semi not expecting a whole lot in ulster.... then again we never do well there anyway!

i think we have a good chance if everyone stays fit,

Yeah this exactly.

Yeah we certainly could do with those guys comin in/back to strengthen the panel.

• Advertisement

Nice flick from murphy there in the lead up to the goal

robbed stat from HS
    out of glenswillys 3-19, murphy scored 1-5, and was involved in the build up of another 2-8 (so 3-12!)

Advertisement