Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any secret installations in Ireland?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stillorgan is also the right age for that kind of paranoid story to have been made up. Is the tower contemporary to the centre? Carpark's a bit small

Shannon was definitely an abort-site for the shuttle, which is likely the only thing not actually made up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

hmmm, as soon as i put on my tinfoil hat i could see that the arched top of that tower was designed to take more weight...

bd-stillorgansc-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Regarding Mt. Gabriel (mentioned ages ago), I'd "heard" too it was in fact being used by NATO, under the guise of being a ATC/weather station. It even was attacked by the INLA, thinking it was some secret NATO installation.

While not exactly an "installation", Lissard House near Skibbereen was purchased by the Swiss government in the '70s to house the government in exile if the Soviets ever invaded. There even were plans to transfer much of the Swiss gold reserve there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Until relatively recently, we'd a serious shortage of even basic non-secret facilities which would lead me to suspect that the likelihood of secret ones is incredibly slim / nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

who_me wrote: »
    While not exactly an "installation", Lissard House near Skibbereen was purchased by the Swiss government in the '70s to house the government in exile if the Soviets ever invaded. There even were plans to transfer much of the Swiss gold reserve there.

This formation on the grounds looks very strange. Any ideas anyone?

http://www.lissardresort.com/images/gallery/garden-trees-1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

aphex™ wrote: »
    This formation on the grounds looks very strange. Any ideas anyone?

http://www.lissardresort.com/images/gallery/garden-trees-1024.jpg

http://www.lissardestate.com/liss-ard-gardens.html
    And one of the greatest surprises is the living art featured in the Irish Sky Garden: the giant earth and stone works, The Crater, by famed artist James Turrell, with its contemplative 'Vault Purchase' or plinth at its centre. As a landscape feature The Crater has encouraged many landscape architects to make their pilgrimage to Liss Ard over the years, but it is also an enlightening experience for the solitary surveyor, lying on their back on the 'Vault Purchase', gazing up through the Craters 'bowl' at the sky.

Also this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Dundrum Town Centre has a vacant top floor with superb views, could be regarded as a 'watch tower'!

It's referred as the Sky Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Always thought that strange using a radioisotope generator to get very inefficient electrical generation to power an inefficient bulb. When all they needed to do was remove the lid on "the ol' glow in the dark" :pac:

They are dual purpose with an indirect heating coil in them so the rad in the canteen and the immersion are permanently on incase any of the lighthouse keepers wants a shower or a cupán tae

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Del2005 wrote: »
    We where never neutral, we are polically non aligned. Neutral countries can defend their own boarders, which we never could or can.

Of course we can defend them, there are only 22 locations and gormo is right beside the military camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I did a job in the late 70s or early 80s in a big house on an old estate, I think in Kildare or Meath. All the windows were closed up (concrete) and I was told that it was where the government would go in the event of a nuclear event :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Secret installation would require hardware in need of hiding, eg fighter / bomber jets that could hide in and take off from the port tunnel, air and missile defenses hidden and camouflaged and mobile, here and there, caves to hide rapid response marine units.
    We don't even have unhidden radar capable of tracking planes with transponders switched off so I'd be worried more about the overt hardware we lack than the hidden stuff that would be nice to have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I think this thread is too old. I will lock it for now. If you want to discuss secret installations, start a new thread with some point to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement