Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any secret installations in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

newmug wrote: »
    There's also a certificate of nuclear compliance hanging on the wall inside the front door. They actually do have some nuclear material on site!

The sugar factory in Carlow used to have radioactive material on site and an emergency plan should there be a nuclear accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rameire wrote: »
    I was on the belief that it was donated by the US and that it was still in Storage in UCC.

It's still there, the wife showed me where it is one day when we went for a stroll around the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS any third level instituion worthy of the name has 'nuclear material' on site.

My secondary school had 'nuclear material' on site.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Probably not this big though

V1RON.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

newmug wrote: »
    There's also a certificate of nuclear compliance hanging on the wall inside the front door. They actually do have some nuclear material on site!

So does your dentist. RPII certs are needed for feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Of course. It was full of Strontium 90 and nobody wanted the provos to make a dirty bomb did they. Most of it was a thick steel flask TBH....looks like this. :)

Solar panels made this tech obsolete anyway.

They went with wind first, according to CIL; had to switch to solar when the manufacturer stopped making and maintaining the turbines they used.

It was interesting to read that CIL tested solar for 2 full years before rolling it out live. Can't see that happening these days, even from CIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yet again, Irish signposting is found lacking...
    1031531187_c1ae77030e.jpg
    Chipping Ongar? A128? Irish?:rolleyes:

Whooooooosh.

The UK signs 'secret' sites. We don't. I would have thought the ironing of signing a site 'Secret Nuclear Bunker' was obvious, but I suppose if t'internet teaches us anything it is to assume nothing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/12167448@N05/3812194019/sizes/l/in/photostream/
    The Mi-8 in the foreground is a bit bigger than an S61.

Three pictures of a Mil Mi-2

nV4TZ.jpg

THLCB.jpg - :D

k5Aep.jpg

Back on topic

Two Turlough hill photos
    https://secure.flickr.com/photos/coltgroup/5516688319/in/set-72157626117567171

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/coltgroup/5516687533/in/set-72157626117567171/

Cap'n, lovely set of Big MILS you have there. Are you implying that Turlough Hill is a secret Mil base or something????

Waterboarding training facility. For giants.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Cap'n, lovely set of Big MILS you have there. Are you implying that Turlough Hill is a secret Mil base or something????
    https://lh3.ggpht.com/-Vd__DEkpJHc/UJgG8JcnRAI/AAAAAAAAHiY/SpDF1hS-pqE/s1600/YOLT3.jpg ;)

Dammit and all, I never knew that till now Cap'n. :D

Off the coast of Donegal ( and Cork and Kerry) lurks SOSUS, still operational as of 2004 to my knowledge. Read up.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_25/sosus.htm

There is an obtuse reference to it here. Anyone remember the Minisub rescue off Cork in 1973???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2016798/Diving-abyss-aboard-Britains-world-leading-submarine-rescue-system.html
    This latest ‘free-swimming’ vehicle replaced an earlier LR5 rescue vehicle, the idea for which came to former Royal Navy submariner Roger Chapman after he almost died when he was trapped 1,575ft down in a civilian mini-submarine in 1973. He and a colleague had been laying a telephone cable in a two-man sub on the bed of the Atlantic, 150 miles off the cost of south-west Ireland. After three and a half days they were found and pulled to safety.

The Royal Navy never laid a telephone cable in peactime, he was working on a wonky SOSUS when the sub got tangled in the cable I believe and a big rescue operation was staged with Royal Air Force air sea rescue helicopters based in Cork Airport ( I saw them personally), none of yer MiLs for that gig Cap'n.

The Guards even fed them Poitín in Cork in front of a TV crew after the rescue. Picture! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

My friend who grew up in Athlone tells me there's an old Cold War Era nuke bunker under the castle there. Hard to see all the ministers making it from Leinster House to Athlone when the nukes are airborne tho :pac:
    I believe that. It was supposed to have a radio studio connected to Radio Eireann. I think there's a tunnel from the barracks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

There is, or was, a radio studio in the bunker in Custume Barracks.

An old RTE engineer told me he used to go there to maintain it, up to about 12 years ago.

It was indeed landlined to the Moydrum AM transmitter site. But that site is now defunct, so of no use any more.

I'd love to know if the studio is still extant or if its been dismantled.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I remember seeing this open as well and I though it was just at the end of the tracks but they seems to be covered up since it was just metal before.

This is the only pic I can find of Google Maps.

suj0u.jpg

[Jackass] wrote: »
    In Dublin by the Green Luas stop at St Stephens green, there are two big double doors that actually are the footpath, I've seen it opened once, they literally opened the footpath and there are steps down to what looks like a very recent / modernly concreted tunnel / Bunker. I imagine there is all the power stations and what have you for the Luas down there, but have heard of tunnels under St. Stephes Green before.

Also Grafton st. tiles are always cracking due to subsidence of the street as it's hollow underneath, mostly storage space for the shops on street level.

There are also vast vast passageways and tunnels built under the grounds of UCD and have been used for smuggling celebs in and out of the university if they are making an appearance or giving a talk, but were put in during construction in the 70's due to large civil unrest, protesting, student revolt etc. (also the reason the lake is there in UCD, to stop mass congregation on the grounds outside the college for protests and / or rioting)
    Tripp wrote: »
    Had a quick look on google maps, Couldnt find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hope the mods don't mind me reviving this thread, as it is a good thread, but I grew up in Sandymount, in houses that were built in the 40's, and my parents always told me that these houses were built with bunkers in the garden, not pulling my leg or anything, but actually true.

My (very elderly) neighbour still has the bunker, but it's closed off (right at the back of the garden, you can actually see the slumped down bit of grass where presumably the entrance was / is.) The one that was in our garden was filled in before my parents even owned the house, and I presume all of the neighbours were too, but I would be interested to know, does anyone know anything about these, or are there any surviving ones in Dublin?

I'm sure the framing of it is probably still under the garden at my parents place, but would love to know how big they are or what they would look like if anyone in Dublin (or anywhere in the country) knows anything about these or has ever heard of or seen anything like this before? As far as I know all the houses built on my road at the time had them, so presumably there were many others around the city...

I'd love to convert a garden bunker into something! :D Put a bar in it, with seating, big screen TV and have a session in the bunker!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

[QUOTE='[Jackass]I'd love to convert a garden bunker into something! :D Put a bar in it, with seating, big screen TV and have a session in the bunker![/QUOTE]
    I imagine it's more likely to be you, one of your mates, a small portable and a six pack is all that will fit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I believe that. It was supposed to have a radio studio connected to Radio Eireann. I think there's a tunnel from the barracks to it.

Nonsense. All that is under the castle is a pile of dirt from the 13th century. The nuclear shelter is in the barracks. It was built in the early 1950s and is now obsolete. The radio connection was to the Moydrum transmitter. Moydrum is now de-commissioned.

There were some Civil defence 'bunkers'....more like basements....constructed here and there in the 1960s and even as late as the early 1970s.

The Galway Civil Defence bunker was built under the Community College Moneenageisha around 1970. In fact the Minister of Defence held up the construction of the Secondary School as this 'bunker' , known as the County Control Centre, was being designed.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1966113000016?opendocument
    30 November 1966
    Mr. Coogan: ( Galway West backbencher) asked the Minister for Defence why he has not yet given a decision regarding the provision of a county control centre in the proposed new vocational school at Moneenageisha, Galway, as the delay in giving a decision is holding up preparation of final documents for the erection of this new school for which the Department of Education gave sanction on 6th September 1966.
    Minister for Defence (Mr. Hilliard):As approved expenditure which may be incurred by Galway County Council on the provision of a civil defence county control centre would attract a grant of 70 per cent from the Vote for Defence, I had to be satisfied that the inclusion of the centre in the proposed new vocational school at Moneenageisha would be the most economical arrangement that could be made.

More on that here

The plan, dating back to the early 1960s was to have a County Control Centre or 'bunker' in every county

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1962051700007?opendocument&highlight=county%20control
    From the Army I turn now to Civil Defence. One of the features of recent times has been that public interest in Civil Defence has manifested itself to an extent previously unequalled. For the greater part, this increased interest stemmed from events in the international sphere—namely, the recurrence of tension over Berlin since August last and the publicity given to the hazards of radioactivity resulting from the resumption of nuclear tests by the U.S.S.R. in September.
    Whether as a result of this increased interest or of intensified activity on the part of local authorities or a combination of both, there has been an overall net increase (allowing for wastage) in the strength of the Civil Defence organisation of some 1,500, making the current strength approximately 7,600. These figures show that the previous rate of growth of the organisation has been maintained. Quite a number of the new recruits are in centres in which Civil Defence was organised last winter for the first time, and it is to be hoped that in such places those recruits will encourage many more to enrol. As matters stand, however, we have got to face the fact that the numbers in Civil Defence, even though they continue to grow, are still pitifully small in relation to the size of the problem that might have to be faced, and so, as I did when speaking about the Army, I urge all who can do so to lend their aid and encouragement to Civil Defence recruitment.
    [1096] At the same time, I am confident that the measures now being taken to develop a control structure within each county and to organise the Warden Service in every parish and ultimately in every townland and street, will have its impact on recruitment even in outlying districts. The initiation by local authorities of arrangements for the control and organisation of the Civil Defence services at county level was, in my view, the most significant development which occurred during the year in relation to the organisation of Civil Defence.

Reference were made to sub-county control centres and regional control centres as well ....in 1963

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1963032800005?opendocument&highlight=county%20control

By the late 1960s 16 out of 26 counties had a control centre

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1968051600006?opendocument&highlight=county%20control

By 1974 this number had reached 22 Counties and with 5 Regional Centres and with 7 counties and 3 regions 'in the pipeline'

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/takes/dail1974050200005?opendocument&highlight=county%20control

Thereafter the Coalition Govenment seems to have abandoned the construction of 'bunkers' . I think Civil Defence units are still grouped around 'County Control Centres' but that these are offices above ground in the local county buildings nowadays.

But a lot of rumours about 'bunkers are true, well kinda. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ado75

Interesting thread. I know it was mentioned before but no one elaborated. The only "secret" facility I have heard of is a bunker complex under merrion square an that the mound previously mentioned is associated with it. It would be interesting to know if it was ever connected to leinster houes directly.

On that point, there must be bunkers/reinforced bolt holes in Leinster house, nothing fancy - just somewhere you can hide from a public baying for blood.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ado75 wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I know it was mentioned before but no one elaborated. The only "secret" facility I have heard of is a bunker complex under merrion square an that the mound previously mentioned is associated with it. It would be interesting to know if it was ever connected to leinster houes directly.

On that point, there must be bunkers/reinforced bolt holes in Leinster house, nothing fancy - just somewhere you can hide from a public baying for blood.

Maybe that was where Biffo was hiding these last few years that we have not heard from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maybe that was where Biffo was hiding these last few years that we have not heard from him.

Is the Dail bar in an underground bunker?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Is the Dail bar in an underground bunker?

No but I would think any bunker in Leinster House would be in a well stocked cellar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ado75 wrote: »

Where is then actual entrance now I wonder???

Like it is literally a mound or hill of grass now.

Edit. Bit of googling I found this.
    http://jasonomahony.ie/5-secrets-the-irish-government-dont-want-you-to-know/

Apparently access through a manhole in nearby bushes. Must go for a little root on my lunch break :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting, anyone know which shopping center this might be:
    2. One of the Dublin’s major shopping centres is designated as an emergency detention centre in the event of major civil unrest. One of its car parks has been constructed in such a way that it can be fenced in quickly, and the centre even has a vacant tower (requested by the Department of Justice at planning stages) to act as a watch tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is suspect the stuff on that page is made up.

Presumably, they mean the shopping centre car park, not the actual shopping centre. But why was it "constructed in such a way that it can be fenced in quickly", why not just install the security fences up front - much more secure.

What shopping centre has a watch tower? Would this be much use in a multi-storey car park?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Is suspect the stuff on that page is made up.

Well, the bit about Shannon being a designated Space Shuttle abort location is true. That's one thing :)

The idea of 150 Irish soldiers resigning from the Defence Forces so they could go halfway around the world and get shot at by the British is just too ludicrous for words.

The idea that the Cabinet (never mind advisors, senior officials, etc.) could fit in a bunker under that little mound in Merrion Square is just a joke, as is the excuse given for supposedly not burying it properly.
    What shopping centre has a watch tower? Would this be much use in a multi-storey car park?

Stillorgan has a funny looking tower... :pac:

bd-stillorgansc-3-620x393.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement