Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

So are you against farming animals?

LINK

Before he takes that as "people farming animals".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A fish tank is just a modern pond. A hamster cage is just a modern hedge.

We could go on for hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kneemos wrote: »
    A house is perfectly natural.It's a modern cave.
    A fish is used to much more open space than a tank and a hamster likes to run about and burrow and in both cases interact with its environment and other animal's.

With 'natural' concrete and foam and uVPC and ....

Humans evolved in much more space than we currently occupy...we ran around being hunter/gatherers and lived a pretty nomadic lifestyle for most of our existence as a species.

Should we all become become nomadic again and take to roaming around the country, perhaps with some form of mobile dwelling?

I can see that going down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Eutow wrote: »
    Sheldon Cooper alert. "I'm not insane, my mom got me tested"

You seem to think that someone who owns a pet cannot form friendships with other people. Strange thinking...... I think you are the one that is unfortunate.
    Interacting in this manner isnt exactly showing a person able to form bonds with members of your own species.
    pharmaton wrote: »
    If I were to assume as you do then I suspect you're probably a very lonely individual who doesn't have the capacity for joy, let alone real life friends. You could probably work on your people skills too.
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    At what point does being a pet owner make them 'unfortunate' ?

I needn't mention any names, but there's plenty of celebrities and well known people that own pets - does that make them unfortunate ?

Plenty of families with their family pets, that brings the kids joy to have and play with - does that make them unfortunate ?

And what of the elderly ? They've had a great life, but their spouse has past away - are you telling me it's sad for them to have a pet to give them companionship while they're living alone ?

Who the hell are you to judge and feel sorry for ? Cause frankly, the only sad person here is you.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Do you need to throw in the old personal digs?

Makes me wonder if you have some issues.

What difference does it make you if I or anyone else has a dog, cat, gerbil, hamster etc etc - yet here you are throwing around terms like 'misfit' and generally being the one is is acting in a socially inappropriate manner?
    Oh dear, oh dear.

You know, I really don't think you'd be all getting this upset, if deep down you didn't actually think I was right.

The good news is it's not too late to change your lives. Go home tonight and let Tommy the hamster loose in the garden, drive Spot the dog 20miles away and throw him out of the car, flush Freddy the goldfish down the toilet.
    Pets are like drugs and the only way to quit the habit is to go cold turkey. From tomorrow approach people in the street and try to engage them in conversation, join a dating agency, take up a new sport or hobby, because tomorrow could be the first day of the rest of your lives.
    Good luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    And another cost to Joe Public is the medical card for my dog...

...and the free er...boarding kennel one year placement they get :D Not to mention the owners constantly banging on about how expensive boarding fees are :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

seamus wrote: »
    "People are choosing to do things which I would not choose to do, therefore they must be crazy, or stupid, or both".

The problem is not people owning pets, the problem is people thinking they have any right to decide what is the right way for anyone else to live.

It would certainly solve our social issues faster than wasting money by throwing it at the needy.

Is there not a certain amount of irony in that given you are arguing in defence of owning another a creature to live as you see fit ?

I'm not saying you should do anything btw but if you are aware of your actions contributing to a demand which results in suffering I think it immoral to choose to ignore it. We all have to be responsible not just for the immediate effects of our actions but also for the cumulative effects of our actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A house is perfectly natural.It's a modern cave.
    A fish is used to much more open space than a tank and a hamster likes to run about and burrow and in both cases interact with its environment and other animal's.

some breeds of Hamsters are solitary animals though and they'll fight if near other ones.

You know, I really don't think you'd be all getting this upset, if deep down you didn't actually think I was right.

The good news is it's not too late to change your lives. Go home tonight and let Tommy the hamster loose in the garden, drive Spot the dog 20miles away and throw him out of the car, flush Freddy the goldfish down the toilet.
    Pets are like drugs and the only way to quit the habit is to go cold turkey. From tomorrow approach people in the street and try to engage them in conversation, join a dating agency, take up a new sport or hobby, because tomorrow could be the first day of the rest of your lives.
    Good luck everyone.

ummmmmm.......I dont really like people...most of them make me wanna get sick in my mouth....and I dont think my girlfriend would be too happy if I joined a dating agency...and I dont have time to take up a new hobby what with a full time job and college and my existing hobbies...so what should I do? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

With 'natural' concrete and foam and uVPC and ....

Humans evolved in much more space than we currently occupy...we ran around being hunter/gatherers and lived a pretty nomadic lifestyle for most of our existence as a species.

Should we all become become nomadic again and take to roaming around the country, perhaps with some form of mobile dwelling?

o

Humans are intelligent and adaptable.
    There's no justification for keeping wild animals in an unnatural environment or in a cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

actually I just read through your previous boards contributions and once I realised you were an avid Liverpool supporter I wasn't able to consider the rest of your suppositions with any level of depth. Probably the most least qualified person to take "how to live right" advice from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Good luck everyone.

MOD

Frank don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Should we all become become nomadic again and take to roaming around the country, perhaps with some form of mobile dwelling?

Do you actually want the place full of Dutch and Belgian caravan-ists? Is that what you want? Is it?? Hmmm??? Good God man, do you realise what you're saying? "Yish, where can ve buy de chocolate sprinkles, yish??" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

o

There's no justification for keeping wild animals in an unnatural environment or in a cage.
    They're not wild. They're domesticated and have been for thousands of years for the most part.

o

My dogs are more domesticated than many of the people I know. Plus they are waaaaaay more adaptable. They don't sit gibbering in a corner when the broadband goes down or require an intoxicant of some sort to 'take the edge off'. ;)

As for humans being 'intelligent' - given our history of destruction the jury is still out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there not a certain amount of irony in that given you are arguing in defence of owning another a creature to live as you see fit ?
    Unless you consider domesticated animals to be on an intellectual par with humans, then no. Domesticated animals are by definition adapted to share a domestic environment with humans. So you're not forcing anything upon them any more than having a child is forcing the child to live according to your rules.
    Agreed. That's why the majority of people choose domesticated animals over wild ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

Why would you get rid of the mans best friend.

How about we get rid you op

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

o

I'd hardly consider the pets people keep as 'wild'. Domesticated animals don't really have much of a chance living out in the wild anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So being against what someone says/does means that you think they are right? Miley Cyrus must be a beacon of what is right then.

Dont have any pets but does any of those would kill the animal, glad to see you approve of randomly slaughtering animals.
    Pets are like drugs and the only way to quit the habit is to go cold turkey. From tomorrow approach people in the street and try to engage them in conversation,

Im sure people wont think I'm trying to get money from them if I did that.
    join a dating agency,

Should I break up with my girlfriend before or after? Cant see her being too happy about that.
    take up a new sport or hobby, because tomorrow could be the first day of the rest of your lives.
    Good luck everyone.

Other than karate, taekwondo and archery what hobby or sport do you recommend I take up? Preferably something that doesnt take much time as with the above 3 Im quite busy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dogs aren't entertainment, they're part of the family. :(
    And have been for a very very long time. At least 20,000 years and likely more like 40,000 since we said "you know Paddy, I reckon those big hairy dangerous things might be handy to keep around". The wolves said similar. Some have suggested it's why of all the other humans we won the we're taking over this planet race.

Dog(cats too) owners live longer and are healthier, mentally and physically than non pet owners. They're also more sociable so there goes that ballsology for the high jump. Just the action of stroking your pet lowers blood pressure and calms us. It goes both ways too as tests on dogs and cats show it chills them out too.

Then again maybe I'm just petting a troll? Not nearly as relaxing. Well god I hope he/she is a troll, the alternative is a tad concerning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Do you actually want the place full of Dutch and Belgian caravan-ists? Is that what you want? Is it?? Hmmm??? Good God man, do you realise what you're saying? "Yish, where can ve buy de chocolate sprinkles, yish??" :D

I'm happy in my 2 1/2 bed end of terrace with the excellent insulation and the broadband and the sky+ me (good woman that I am ;) ) but I'm also not claiming these things are 'natural' as oppossed to a fish tank which is 'unnatural'. Give me 'unnatural' things like manufactured antibiotics any day. :D

I suspect if I had to live in a cave - or a mobile dwelling - the dogs would fare much better than I.

You forgot about the German backpackers.....:eek:

• Advertisement

That must be what's up with all them chuggers. They are clearly following Frank's 12 steps to redemption and are at the stage where they have flushed Franky down the loo and are beginning to approach strangers in the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Good luck everyone.

Ah, you are one of those fools from Concern

Edit: OldNotWise got in there first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'm not sure where we differ here yet you seem adamant I'm preaching while holding a poorly thought out view.

You acknowledge that a lot can be considered immoral. All I ever said was that it was immoral. You acknowledge that all anyone can do is avoid these things when they can if they are aware of it. I'm not proposing anything else.

:confused:

I'm not even sure you are reading my posts. You say creating a demand for something that can be in anyway associated with immoral activity is itself immoral. I very much disagree for reasons I've stated already. Owning a pet that has been bread correctly is no more immoral than eating free range eggs.

They're not wild. They're domesticated and have been for thousands of years for the most part.

Fish,rabbits,lizards,snakes,pigeons,spiders...etc are domesticated?
    Keeping a bird of any sort in a cage is sinful.

Eutow wrote: »
    Ah, you are one of those fools from Concern

Edit: OldNotWise got in there first

:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Frank Black Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Fish,rabbits,lizards,snakes,pigeons,spiders...etc are domesticated?
    Keeping a bird of any sort in a cage is sinful.
    Sinful? Well if we're going down that route, didn't god give adam dominance over everything on land, in the air and under the sea? Seems the exact opposite of sinful.

Sinful? Well if we're going down that route, didn't god give adam dominance over everything on land, in the air and under the sea? Seems the exact opposite of sinful.

Who now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mod:

Frank Black Banned.
    Ah no. :( Can we not keep him? We'll feed him and walk him and pet him and love him, even pay for the neutering. Pleeeeeease. It's not fair!! *stamps feet* :(:(:(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah no. :( Can we not keep him? We'll feed him and walk him and pet him and love him, even pay for the neutering. Pleeeeeease. It's not fair!! *stamps feet* :(:(:(

You say that now but in a few months when the novelty has worn off and he's too big, or too yappy, or too smelly, or too expensive to keep it'll be stuff him in a plastic bag which will be flung in a river up some boreen where there is no phone coverage.

It's more humane this way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement