Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

BeerWolf wrote: »
    rofl - just get lost already...
    preferred it the way it was the first time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

pharmaton wrote: »
    preferred it the way it was the first time ;)

Yeah, but knowing some people here that'd get me yet another infraction... :rolleyes:

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Yeah, but knowing some people here that'd get me yet another infraction... :rolleyes:

true dat.

anyways. I love animals I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kneemos wrote: »
    Is it time to ban pets as they use up dwindling resources?and how do pet owners justify spending money on a pet when it could go to the needy?

Um...maybe because they are our pets and its our money and therefore we dont actually need to justify the spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

This thread is a perfect reason why pets are better than people.

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »
    You want to make the needy eat pedigree chum?

Surely not, let them eat cakes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you all lovecuour pets so much why are so many of them kept in cages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Could we not just feed the needy to our pets? Sure a high protein diet would be ideal for most carnivorous pets:D

*I'll just leave quietly now

when I leave my rare white tibetan tiger out of it's cage it tends to eat people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"People are choosing to do things which I would not choose to do, therefore they must be crazy, or stupid, or both".

The problem is not people owning pets, the problem is people thinking they have any right to decide what is the right way for anyone else to live.
    Could we just not feed the needy to our pets? Sure a high protein diet would be ideal for most carnivorous pets
    It would certainly solve our social issues faster than wasting money by throwing it at the needy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you are so great what is the stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Letting a hamster roam around the house is probably not the safest way to keep one. My fish gets annoyed when I take him out of his tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

a dogs natural instinct is to den. my girl has an open doored crate (not cage) that is covered in blankets for darkness and privacy. she can go into it or leave as she pleases. it pleases her to go in and chill out of her own free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

out of interest, taking away the household pet scenario. do you actually like animals?

Oh, yes. I'm very partial to a medium-rare steak.

Especially in the company of another human at a nice restaurant.

Oh, yes. I'm very partial to a medium-rare steak.

you do realise that not all animal lovers are vegetarian or vegan? i love a steak too so thats a pointless trolling attempt.

.. and i'd eat a dog too if it came down to survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Is it time to ban pets children as they use up dwindling resources?and how do pet owners parents justify spending money on a pet child when it could go to the needy?

fixed that for you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Gee Bag wrote: »
    You want to make the needy eat pedigree chum?

I would not inflict that ****e on my dogs:cool:

Letting a hamster roam around the house is probably not the safest way to keep one. My fish gets annoyed when I take him out of his tank.

Both unnatural environments.

you do realise that not all animal lovers are vegetarian or vegan? i love a steak too so thats a pointless trolling attempt.

Indeed. Nothing wrong with ethically sourced meat once or twice a week. That's how we are designed. I'm hardly going to eat my dog... We'll leave that to the, you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just like a house is an unnatural environment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yeah - all of that double/triple glazing, concrete, foam insulation malarky is horribly unnatural and should be banned.

Caves or wattle and daub houses from now on for everyone.

fixed that for you :P

Yes...and dont forget how much we'd be able to give to the needy if we weren't claiming monthly pet's allowance too...oh wait...:rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »

:eek: jeez, caves? arent you a bit fancy...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

:eek: jeez, caves? arent you a bit fancy...

Wattle and daub looks pretty drafty to me. Hate drafts - they give me shocking ear aches. I reckon the back of a deep cave would be the best option for me.

And the four dogs. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Caves be fine with me!

seamus wrote: »

A house is perfectly natural.It's a modern cave.
    A fish is used to much more open space than a tank and a hamster likes to run about and burrow and in both cases interact with its environment and other animal's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yes...and dont forget how much we'd be able to give to the needy if we weren't claiming monthly pet's allowance too...oh wait...:rolleyes:

And another cost to Joe Public is the medical card for my dog...

seamus wrote: »

A fish is used to much more open space than a tank and a hamster likes to run about and burrow and in both cases interact with its environment and other animal's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So are you against farming animals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

As I mentioned already your logic does not follow.

Creating a market demand for something that can feasibly be produced in a moral fashion is not in itself an immoral act.

As I mentioned already if your logic did follow it would make pretty much everything we do immoral.

Everything we consume creates a demand and often those demands are met by means that could be considered immoral. Slave and child labour in asian countries, mass productions of animals for meat in factories, drugs (legal and illegal) result in all sorts of activities that are questionable at best. All anybody can do is avoid the bad where they know it is happening.

Owning a pet is almost always unnecessary, I won't argue with that, but so is almost everything we do. So unless you live in a self sustained farm out in the middle of nowhere where you don't interact with the rest of the world I don't think you are in a position to preach.

I'm not sure where we differ here yet you seem adamant I'm preaching while holding a poorly thought out view.

You acknowledge that a lot can be considered immoral. All I ever said was that it was immoral. You acknowledge that all anyone can do is avoid these things when they can if they are aware of it. I'm not proposing anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement