Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets.

Options
  • 09-10-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭

Is it time to ban pets as they use up dwindling resources?and how do pet owners justify spending money on a pet when it could go to the needy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I like them. I think their good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Er, no ?

How the hell would you even begin to propose that ? There's millions of pets, you expect people to idly stand by for them all to be put down ? Get real...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

How do people justify spending money on anything when it could go towards helping needy people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kneemos wrote: »
    and how do pet owners justify spending money

By earning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Feed them properly and they cost little to nothing. i own a reg'd champion dog and she costs me about €7 a week to feed. she's fit and healthy and happy, not fat and overfed and unhappy.

€7 per week is a very small price for companionship and love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Is it time to ban pets as they use up dwindling resources?and how do pet owners justify spending money on a pet when it could go to the needy?

How do you justify spending money on yourself other than the minimum necessary for survival, when it could go to the needy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

You want to make the needy eat pedigree chum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Its been proven that having a pet can help with mental illness and I know for certain that my dog made me get out of the house when I was going through some lower points in my life.
    She also makes me laugh everyday which is good for the soul. You can't put a price on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Feck that pets are great, animals are better than humans most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

How much do you pay for your internet connection OP? Could probably feed a family for a month in sub saharan africa for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Gee Bag wrote: »

Dunno about that. Tesco Dog food maybe, though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How much do you pay for your internet connection OP? Could probably feed a family for a month in sub saharan africa for that.

they probably still have better broadband than most of Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭greenpilot

It's probably time to ban Children, Op, as they use more of our resources. And you need a licence for a dog?.....meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Right on, OP.

And with the Earth dwindling, we should stop wasting resources on humans too. How can we justify keeping our parasitic species alive to the detriment of the planet, and all other species on it?

Just leave my woofins alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Gee Bag wrote: »

wow slow down, that stuff is barely ok for dogs to eat never mind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Indeed but most of them are meat eaters.Meat will become more and more scarce with rising populations,it's also bad environmentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

danniemcq wrote: »
    wow slow down, that stuff is barely ok for dogs to eat never mind people.

ive never understood people feeding their dogs that crap. you can feed a dog a good healthy mixed raw/kibble diet for a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Er, no ?

How the hell would you even begin to propose that ? There's millions of pets, you expect people to idly stand by for them all to be put down ? Get real...

Dont put them down just neuter them all and keep neutering them until they all die off naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

greenpilot wrote: »
    It's probably time to ban Children, Op, as they use more of our resources. And you need a licence for a dog?.....meh...

The Chinese have it to a tee.

One child per family and eat the dog

Indeed but most of them are meat eaters.Meat will become more and more scarce with rising populations,it's also bad environmentally.
    Internet is bad for the environment too. All those server farms don't cool themselves!

• Advertisement

Internet is bad for the environment too. All those server farms don't cool themselves!

They don't eat valuable resources.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Like fossil fuels used to create electricity?

Riiiiight...

:pac:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Like fossil fuels used to create electricity?

Riiiiight...

With billions of people going hungry I'd be more concerned food supply than fossil fuels.

Correct. They don't eat. I think the word we'd use in this context is "consume".
    Each google search you do, consumes about 44J of energy, or 10kcal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

OP is just pi$$ed that not even the local neighbourhood dog or cat wants to be his friend

With billions of people going hungry I'd be more concerned food supply than fossil fuels.
    Well that's just silly. Modern manufacturing is dependent on fossil fuels for everything from transport to fertilizers. It's far more likely we'll see a collapse in food production due to the depletion in energy sources than from any other reason.
    The food supply is pretty good worldwide, it's the distribution of technology, waste etc that's holding us back from feeding the world.

OP, you might be surprised but a lot of perfectly fine food is thrown away by farmers because of their appearance, and retail markets not buying them... henceforth this food is just dumped...

Link

Link 2

We are not in any danger of being close to a food shortage... thus all your current concerns are thus void.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Generally anything i post (on any given subject) ends a thread. Please God let this post be another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

We'd be fine if people would embrace cheaper, more efficient industrial farming methods and genetic engineering...but that's a whole different kettle of three-eyed fish :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement