Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is GTA V the best in the series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

biggebruv wrote: »
    how would it be the same thing twice in a row:confused:

las venturas will have a hell of a different look for the next GTA title if they did set it there

whereas Miami(vice city) could kinda feel like los santos again IMO

in fact id be down for them to call it GTA Los Venturas

I think he meant the idea of them doing a city that was part of the San Andreas clump. However you do have a valid point perhaps they will opt for a more desert themed game. Although a Miami(vice city) could also entail a swampland enviornment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I think he meant the idea of them doing a city that was part of the San Andreas clump. However you do have a valid point perhaps they will opt for a more desert themed game. Although a Miami(vice city) could also entail a swampland enviornment!

i just keep thinking about how awesome las vegas would be in gta6 on next gen graphics all those lights it would be real eyecandy:D lights everywhere

one thinks for sure i definatly do not want to go back to liberty city next:D

i dont think anyone would care if they used another san andreas city the fact is all the citys in san andreas were toned down because they had 3 to do its not like it was the sole focus in san andreas but just imagine if they did have sole focus on lasventuras and san fierro in the next GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler95

used to love gta 3 , mainly because i was young , but mostly because of the mafia car ;)

It was the only game that made stormy weather look cool and relaxing :)

one thinks for sure i definatly do not want to go back to liberty city next:D

This!

I'd be happier with a setting of any of the other remaining citys ahead of another Liberty city reboot! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

how would it be the same thing twice in a row:confused:

las venturas will have a hell of a different look for the next GTA title if they did set it there

whereas Miami(vice city) could kinda feel like los santos again IMO

in fact id be down for them to call it GTA Los Venturas

Los Santos, Las Venturas and San Fierro are all part of the San Andreas state in GTA land. Why do the same state twice in a row, especially when they skipped over VC for V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Without a doubt this is the best GTA of the series. The depth of the game is so impressive and I've had so much fun playing it so far and I've only just started with online now too. Talk about value for money.

San Andreas comes second for me followed closely by IV and VC with 3 behind them but still a great game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yes. Best game of the series. The advances in gameplay and story delivery just screams AAA. Every aspect is just lovingly crafted. Missions are so much better, you're not just a chauffeur. The heists are just perfection, a fantastic experience that could only be this satisfying in the videogame genre. You can do so much in the game that you start looking for things you can't do (like go into other buildings etc). The only let down (and these are nitpicks really) is that the soundtrack isn't as stellar as others (namely Vice City), and the cinema was a step down from the comedy club in GTA IV. I also found it a smidge too hard, that I'd have to repeat certain missions one or more times. But this game is a masterpiece and milestone in gaming. Truly fantastic. It's rare you'd have a 40+ hour game and say "I wish there was more". And that's before stepping online :)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yes. Best game of the series. The advances in gameplay and story delivery just screams AAA. Every aspect is just lovingly crafted. Missions are so much better, you're not just a chauffeur. The heists are just perfection, a fantastic experience that could only be this satisfying in the videogame genre. You can do so much in the game that you start looking for things you can't do (like go into other buildings etc). The only let down (and these are nitpicks really) is that the soundtrack isn't as stellar as others (namely Vice City), and the cinema was a step down from the comedy club in GTA IV. I also found it a smidge too hard, that I'd have to repeat certain missions one or more times. But this game is a masterpiece and milestone in gaming. Truly fantastic. It's rare you'd have a 40+ hour game and say "I wish there was more". And that's before stepping online :)

I'm over 70 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

1. Vice City/IV
    2. V

Again, with Vice City, it was the sum of all parts that blended perfectly to make an awesome game. Certain things like GFX and some game mechanics may have been a bit primitive or simple but the game just felt right and was tons of fun.

For me IV is a close second. With IV the game mechanics gave it tons of replay value imo. I loved the NY atmosphere and main characters. It seems I'm alone in this though:P.

Outside of the car mechanics which kill it for me, the completely flat atmosphere and boring charcters, except for Trevor, completely take the shine off V. It feels more like SA which I didn't like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I can't understand people saying that they don't like the driving in V. I think it blows the other GTA games out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I can't understand people saying that they don't like the driving in V. I think it blows the other GTA games out of the water.

Agreed. I think some people just don't like change, even if it is for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I like it generally, but I do agree that it's a wee bit too forgiving at higher speeds, your car hugs the road a little more than it should IMHO.

Still infinitely preferably to IV though, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I prefer the unrealistic driving. It allows for more fun control during chases and races, for me anyway. Much more ease of driving around the city. I hated the driving in IV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Agreed. I think some people just don't like change, even if it is for the better.

I don't mind the driving in V now, but the driving in IV was vastly superior in my view. It really comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer arcadey driving as it's more fun for them. Others, me included, prefer slightly more realistic driving where the cars feel like they actually have weight to them because the satisfaction of mastering it is immense.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't mind the driving in V now, but the driving in IV was vastly superior in my view. It really comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer arcadey driving as it's more fun for them. Others, me included, prefer slightly more realistic driving where the cars feel like they actually have weight to them because the satisfaction of mastering it is immense.

I'm sure you can find a real life driving simulator if that's what you're in to ;)

Something as important as driving needs to be simplistic to be a success. You risk alienating too many people with the IV style.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Part of the reason I prefer the driving dynamics of IV was the realism of damage. In IV you would go around in a bigger slower vehicle because it could take more of a beating smashing into everything. Try going on a rampage run in V's quarry Tonka truck, it'll last just as long as any car would, thus negating any reason why you'd drive that over something quicker!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

V is up there with SA and VC for me. Surprised at some of the Trevor hate around. I think he's one of the best characters ever written into a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

wnolan1992 wrote: »

See this is where I strongly disagree, the driving in IV wasn't even close to being realistic. I agree that at high speeds the cars in V are a bit too forgiving, and they brake much too quickly, but that is far better than the alternative, if the alternative is IV. It was just all kinds of awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

V by a long way for me. I think a lot of the love for VC is rose tinted classes syndrome, apart from nailing that 80's Miami vibe, it really wouldnt hold a candle to V in every other department.
    There is just so much attention to detail, so many places to see, things to do and it is a spectacular technical feat on a 7 year old console. I was very cynical about the pre launch gameplay videos, but this game looks like its being played on a middle of the road gaming pc. I cannot comprehend how the textures are so sharp, the draw distance is so long and there is so little pop up. Its black magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Online makes V one of the best games ever made let alone the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Surprised at some of the Trevor hate around. I think he's one of the best characters ever written into a video game.

:eek: There is Trevor hate? For me he makes the game and is one of the most entertaining characters ever to grace a VG. His antics with the
    Mexican hostage
    made me lol hard!:P

:eek: There is Trevor hate? For me he makes the game and is one of the most entertaining characters ever to grace a VG. His antics with the
    Mexican hostage
    made me lol hard!:P

They really went all out with trevor, I've seen more of his anatomy than I dared imagine. Those cocktail dresses he likes do not hide much at alllll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Trevor is a beast, he is by far the best character. Its very enjoyable playing an absolute cu*t.

Re the Driving.
    Is there any way of putting on a seatbelt? I've died twice before I actually landed.

Oh and yeah its the best in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Driving in IV and even in the old ones had little idiosyncrasies that you could learn and abuse/increase your skill depending on what car you used. You had to push a truck to the limit to get any type of speed out of it and good luck if you had to turn on short notice or stop quickly. Trucks handle like every other car in this and it's the same with SUVs, minis and sports cars. They had driving perfect in IV. Just driving around had something to it, an atmosphere. Here I find I use cars purely as a mode of transportation rather than a tool for my enjoyment of the game.

SA is still the best for me. Flying controls were fantastic, some challenges with ever being too difficult, good mission design and great characters. Each city had it's own feel and characters and you were really rooting for CJ. You could mould him into your own character while not really under any real pressure to do so. Cycling felt so loose and fun compared to V and in a plane there was far more of a sense of altitude than I get in V. You always felt you were working towards something. Still my favourite game ever to this day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The biggest sin of the driving for me is the fact that slightly tipping the steering wheel at low speeds will cause the car to swerve dramatically to the direction. There's no finesse or subtlety. I get why people prefer it, I can see how people might find that style of arcadey driving more fun, but it's just slightly past the "Criterion Line" for my liking.

Trevor is a character I hated in the first half of the game. He had no redeeming qualities and just seemed OTT evil for the sake of being evil, which isn't something I like in protagonists. The
    torture
    compounds this. But then as I'm moving through the story he's becoming slightly more likable. The
    Mexican hostage
    scenes are hilarious and brilliant.

Michael, for me, is the best of the three. I love the family backstory, and watching him go slightly insane in the desert is brilliant.

I know this post reads as if I don't really like the game, but I really am loving it for the most part. (gratuitous amounts of fixed shooting/sniping missions aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

V is the best for me, the chopper controls suck though, I used to much prefer flying them to planes now it's the other way around.

The level of detail is mindblowing on it, many a time I've just got in a jet and cruised over the map and sunset and just took it all in, it's a gorgeous looking game, perfect? no there's some horrid jaggy lines in the harsh light time of day but the nighttime and sunset/sun up effects are amazing. I hope more of the map is utilised for dlc and online as out in Blaine county there's load of space but not a whole lot done with it, the farms and industrial areas especially.

It's the little things that make it, simple touches like the character looking around as they hotwire a car or when you beep your car horn you actually see them reach out for the steering wheel, simple but brilliant little details. It also has some of the most satisfying punch collision detection in ages :pac: I uppercutted a bouncer as Trevor and man it felt good :D

Liam O wrote: »
    Driving in IV and even in the old ones had little idiosyncrasies that you could learn and abuse/increase your skill depending on what car you used. You had to push a truck to the limit to get any type of speed out of it and good luck if you had to turn on short notice or stop quickly. Trucks handle like every other car in this and it's the same with SUVs, minis and sports cars. They had driving perfect in IV. Just driving around had something to it, an atmosphere. Here I find I use cars purely as a mode of transportation rather than a tool for my enjoyment of the game.

SA is still the best for me. Flying controls were fantastic, some challenges with ever being too difficult, good mission design and great characters. Each city had it's own feel and characters and you were really rooting for CJ. You could mould him into your own character while not really under any real pressure to do so. Cycling felt so loose and fun compared to V and in a plane there was far more of a sense of altitude than I get in V. You always felt you were working towards something. Still my favourite game ever to this day.

CJ was even less likable than Niko, and that takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    CJ was even less likable than Niko, and that takes some doing.

You seem to be in the absolute glaring minority with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Getting bored with GTA V tbh, its all the same as before, just nicer looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's my favourite by far, in nearly every way. The variety of things to do, missions, characters, landscape etc. Only Vice city beats it for the soundtrack and mood.

Advertisement