Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is GTA V the best in the series?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Thanks to college I have regulated my playing of V to Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, which leaves me just 6 days of gaming so far, so I can't really judge it yet, but I have to say I love it so far, so expansive and fun. The only real let down is the soundtrack; it's hard to top VC, SA, and IV I thought was very good too, but there isn't a whole pile to V's soundtrack.

One thing I honestly don't get is folks saying the driving is anything from "poor" to "terrible". The driving in V is fucking magnificent, probably the best driving in the series as one poster mention previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Dunno why but GTA 1, VC, 3 and 5 in that order.... Nothing much between them, just personal preference. The buzz I got from GTA was unreal. I played that game for literally years on the PS, and then again on the PC. VC and 3 are pretty much on par for me, but VC brought the storyline aspect to life and the soundtrack was just so good. I haven't finished 5 yet but it just feels like 4 to me with better gameplay/control. Loving the storyline so far tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

One thing I hope a DLC improves on 5 is the radio stations. Is it just me or they a bit short?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Haven't played V. Will be getting it soon but it would take something special to beat vice city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Definitely ^^

I don't get why so many are finding it bad/hard/sloppy - the driving is fine to me.

It's the jumping that really needs fixing. Go to jump a 3 foot wall ... fall on face awkwardly ... :D

Problem with driving is nearly all cars handle the same. There isn't much speed difference in cars ( they all seem to hit a similar max speed) its overall wayyyy too easy. The lack of damage to yer vehicle ties into this. Thats annoying as balls.
    .ak wrote: »
    One thing I hope a DLC improves on 5 is the radio stations. Is it just me or they a bit short? Shít

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anyone saying SA is better obviously hasnt played it recently. It hasnt aged very well. VC has aged far better.

The only issue I have with V is the crap radio selections. It's bad when the pop station is the most enjoyable.

I think it is too early to judge V. Need to see if it has the same replay value as VC did and still does. Right now, it is great, but will it hold up down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I think the driving in V is the best in the series.

Yeah, I love the driving in V. Nice combination between arcade and realistic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

IV is the best for me.

V is rapidly catching up on it, I'm only about 20% of the way in so there's plenty of time left for it to overtake IV, but IV had so much longevity for me. Only time will tell if V has the same.

Music much better in V though, although the music in VC and SA will always trump the modern games because they were choosing the best of the best music from specific eras as opposed to trying to choose a wide variety of current and past stuff for V and IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Very tough call between VC, SA and V for me. They all have their advantages and disadvantages! SA is where Rockstar really progressed with the game adding lots of new things like clothes, planes and bicycles and I probably spent the most time playing that so I feel like I should say that, but VC was really enjoyable and the setting was really cool.

GTA V speaks for itself, but I still can't help but feel like the lack of islands ruins it slightly. Nothing better than flying from one airport to the other in SA, go outside and it actually felt like you were in a new city. V just feels like you're fecking off into the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Anyone saying SA is better obviously hasnt played it recently. It hasnt aged very well. VC has aged far better.

The only issue I have with V is the crap radio selections. It's bad when the pop station is the most enjoyable.

I think it is too early to judge V. Need to see if it has the same replay value as VC did and still does. Right now, it is great, but will it hold up down the line?

I have both to this day, gave them a play before V was released and I still prefer SA. Why do you think it hasn't aged well? The poor graphics? I don't really care about things like that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

V for me,,, and it might be for some of you later VC and SA have Nastalgic value, for anything in life to be Nasalgic, it needs time, so give it time

could also work the other way, gets worst by time

but what i gathered is that majority of people are pleased with this game, which is really good

Online Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

For me SA, there was more you could actually do in SA than gtav. The worst thing about GTA V is your car happens to be everywhere its the worst in all of em if you ask me.... that fu#king jeep ahhh.. Id put vice city very close up there. The story of the 3 characters is not that great if you ask me, trevor is a laugh a nut job, Michael is as dull a paint... pitty they didn't bring back the old gta theme on the radio joyride. seeing most of the stations are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

San Andreas for me. As soon as I found the jet pack all other modes of transport were gone. San Andreas seemed longer than V(The story) also V was way too easy, no need for bullet proof vest(needed them in SA and IV) and also in V you seemed to have loads of ammo giving to you for each mission. I remember in previous versions after I killed someone I would go over to them just to get their weapon/bullets as you needed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Jet pack plus minigun in turf wars.

How can you possibly beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It is the best GTA, alright. I wish it had even half as good a soundtrack as VC, though. It's a noticeable weak point.

I have both to this day, gave them a play before V was released and I still prefer SA. Why do you think it hasn't aged well? The poor graphics? I don't really care about things like that anyway.

It's not fun to play anymore. The only thing it has over VC is it's bigger. Controls are a little better but that's about it. Everything else, VC wins on.

People talk about SA like it was an amazing flawless game. It wasn't. VC was better in almost every aspect.

For me, discounting the IV DLC (since they were not full games), it's the worst of the 3D games and the last one I'd be looking to replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I found it to be quite a let down in the end, I did enjoy playing it, but something was missing for me and it was too short and I was not even rushing through it, Vice City is still the best in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Xenji wrote: »
    I found it to be quite a let down in the end, I did enjoy playing it, but something was missing for me and it was too short and I was not even rushing through it, Vice City is still the best in my books.

You probably were rushing through it. I'm about 36 or 37 hours in, and still have 11 main story missions to go along with a whole lot of side activities, about half of the strangers and freaks missions, haven't gone out in a submarine at all, a lot of places on the map I haven't seen.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I still need to write up the positive points to go with the negative ones I had posted a couple of days ago, so won't fully expand on this brief post. To answer the OP, San Andreas is the best.

Vice City had the atmosphere down to perfection and while immensely fun, the map was tiny. It was something as a teen that bugged me just a little after playing the next game in the series.

V has the map size (though not used well IMHO) and the graphics, but there is things lacking that take away from the game. Reference the GTA V Impression thread as to my views on it.

San Andreas had it all considering the time it came out. It went over and beyond everyone's wildest imagination of what a GTA game should be. It pushed the PS2 to it's very limit.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    You probably were rushing through it. I'm about 36 or 37 hours in, and still have 11 main story missions to go along with a whole lot of side activities, about half of the strangers and freaks missions, haven't gone out in a submarine at all, a lot of places on the map I haven't seen.

I could only play it for about 2 hours a night due to work with a few more hours at the weekend since it came out, so no I was not rushing it and have got 100 percent in it.

• Advertisement

I could only play it for about 2 hours a night due to work with a few more hours at the weekend since it came out, so no I was not rushing it and have got 100 percent in it.

2 hours a night for two weeks is only 28 hours. You were rushing it. I'm over 50 hours and only into 90% now. Only finished the story last night too. The story alone should take roughly 30 hours minimum. Unless by 100% you mean just the story mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Maybe we're looking for different things from the game so. I have just an much fun getting 3 or 4 stars, then trying to lose the cops on the mountain roads as I do playing the story. Getting 100% after ~30 hours makes it seem like you were rushing to fully complete the game.

2 hours a night for two weeks is only 28 hours. You were rushing it. I'm over 50 hours and only into 90% now. Only finished the story last night too. The story alone should take roughly 30 hours minimum. Unless by 100% you mean just the story mode.

It was around 40 if you include weekends, plus it is hardly rushing it if you have 100 percent in it, nope everything, did cheat with the alien parts though with YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

100% Does that include all the hidden letters/packages - whatever they're called?

quarryman wrote: »
    100% Does that include all the hidden letters/packages - whatever they're called?

No you do not need them, just the letters.

The following is NOT needed for 100%.

All 12 Hidden Packages
    All Epsilon Tracts
    All Submarine Parts
    All Nuclear Waste Barrels
    20 of the 25 purchasable properties
    25 out of 50 Stunt Jumps
    25 out of 50 Under The Bridge Challenges
    7 out of 15 Knife Flights
    18 out of 19 Shop Robberies
    All Hunting Challenges

No you do not need them.

You do.

You don't need the nuclear waste or submarine parts but do need the letter scraps and space ship parts.

You do.

You don't need the nuclear waste or submarine parts but do need the letter scraps and space ship parts.

Yeah it is just the hidden packages you do not need.

The following is NOT needed for 100%.

All 12 Hidden Packages
    All Epsilon Tracts
    All Submarine Parts
    All Nuclear Waste Barrels
    20 of the 25 purchasable properties
    25 out of 50 Stunt Jumps
    25 out of 50 Under The Bridge Challenges
    7 out of 15 Knife Flights
    18 out of 19 Shop Robberies
    All Hunting Challenges

The full completion checklist from Bradys Guide is here http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55711/t1903839-100-completion-checklist/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

V definitely the best for me closely followed by San Andreas only thing that let's it down is the radio as mentioned, was playing it the other night with the radio turned Off and just listening to flashback fm from gta 3 on the laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Yeah, have found myself turning off the radio as I cruise around also. That aside, the game is quality. Even the distraction of golf and tennis are put together reasonably well. Will lose a lot more time to this title no doubt about it!!!

Advertisement