Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GTA V - Arrrgghh's!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's only a small(ish) gripe but the GPS system in the cars has prevented me from suspending my disbelief in relation to the supposedly huge, sprawling Los Santos. A lot was, and is, made about how big the city is but if you travel to the edge of LS and place a waypoint at the direct opposite edge and drive to it, you'll see that the points are roughly only three miles apart. In my estimation, in terms of area, that ranks it somewhere between Mullingar and Dundalk in a list of the world's largest cities (or towns). There's no reason to believe that LS is larger than any other GTA city but not knowing the actual size of the city might have helped to create the opposite impression, hence ditch the distance metres next time.

On a related note, what's the story with every major American city being an island so far? Aren't there ways to finally get a GTA city on the mainland?

Shoreside Vale in GTA III was mainland. You just couldnt get past the wall without the almost impossible to fly dodo, or using cheats. Even then, you couldnt land anywhere as it wasnt solid. Personally, I'm happy enough with islands as it means more detail. Infinite land would lead to cuts elsewhere.

They may be able to do it on Next Gen consoles, but I doubt they will waste the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Not sure if this fits into arrgh but I think I prefer far cry 3. The gunplay and stealth was much more focussed, it was just as pretty, and there was better, more productive things to do outside the missions. In this, away from the missions I get bored just driving around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

bladebrew wrote: »
    It's a great game, it's just the cops that drive me mad, the one star is simple too lose but once you get a helicopter after you your fecked, I had a 3 star wanted level and after 5 minutes of mayhem I found a spray shop and it said "lose the cops" wtf use is that!
    I also thought I was a genius taking out a police helicopter by shooting the pilot with a sniper rifle, it did work but they sent 2 helicopters after me then!! And with a 4 star wanted level I eventually got killed!

Its practically a cheat, but if you head back for grove street, you can lose the cars easily enough in the horrible traffic they will send your way, then bail into the railway tunnel, stick on the left track, and head for the hills. There are 2 long tunnels, so all you have to do is lob some nades at the close pursuing cops, and then ease back on the speed until you get rid of them.

For online, I nicked a patriot as my first vehicle, turned out to be a very arsey call. I can evade 3 stars almost every time by heading out through the oilfields and over the hills. Its a little tricky to control on the downhills, but even with 3 tires shot out (ant-burst still locked) it still goes, and goes and goes. I've had some 20 min. plus chases with that vehicle, still haven't gotten away from a 4 star in a land vehicle though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Installed this yesterday.

When I tried to download the patch the screen just went black & had to do a hard reset.

Installed patch but then game froze twice on a loading screen (where you adjust the brightness)

Reset again. *murderous thoughts in mind*

Worked fine. Started SP. I hated GT4 (think it just got overhyped) and wasn't going to buy this. GT5 looks like a massive improvement. Really impressed. Just played the first two missions & can't wait to get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Taking hilarious/interesting pictures and not being able to connect to Social Club :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cormac... wrote: »
    Taking hilarious/interesting pictures and not being able to connect to Social Club :(

Yeah they really should have made it so you can just take pics and upload them later

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Managed to steal a fighter jet! But the damn engine cut out permanently just as i landed at Treavors airstrip and it wouldn't start again! Grrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Managed to steal a fighter jet! But the damn engine cut out permanently just as i landed at Treavors airstrip and it wouldn't start again! Grrr :mad:

getting it out of the airbase without it being shot to crap is a game in itself, first one I got barely took off and then the engine died before I made it to full altitude, so being Trevor I turned it around and sent it sailing back into the base as I jumped out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

krudler wrote: »
    getting it out of the airbase without it being shot to crap is a game in itself, first one I got barely took off and then the engine died before I made it to full altitude, so being Trevor I turned it around and sent it sailing back into the base as I jumped out :pac:

I find the best method is to fly low over it from the south side and then parachute out and you are in the hanger nearly before the alarm goes off.

Penn wrote: »
    You can only fly one at a time :pac:. Besides which, if a plane/jet is stored in your hangar it's always there even if you crash one. Just go back to the hangar and you'll still have one. I've destroyed dozens of fighter jets as Trevor but there's always one in my hangar.

Yea I know but I wanted to take a cool photo of like 6 jets and my car in front of them cause I'm sad like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

etxp wrote: »
    I find the best method is to fly low over it from the south side and then parachute out and you are in the hanger nearly before the alarm goes off.

In single player use Franklin to drive through the gate of the base. As you are about to hit the barrier turn on Frank's special ability and drive in and follow the road to the right and then on the left is a hanger with the jet parked.

You wont get a wanted level until you step out of the car or run out of special. You then have a bit of time then to get into the jet before the army show up at the door.

Kxiii wrote: »
    In single player use Franklin to drive through the gate of the base. As you are about to hit the barrier turn on Frank's special ability and drive in and follow the road to the right and then on the left is a hanger with the jet parked.

You wont get a wanted level until you step out of the car or run out of special. You then have a bit of time then to get into the jet before the army show up at the door.

Just as easy to parachute in, don't need to use special ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭klose

Twice all my charecters guns have just mysteriously dissapeared, cars seem to reset to different custimations aswell. Has only happened since i tried to play online and wouldnt work for me. Pretty strange

klose wrote: »
    Twice all my charecters guns have just mysteriously dissapeared, cars seem to reset to different custimations aswell. Has only happened since i tried to play online and wouldnt work for me. Pretty strange

Fairly sure they go if you get busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

krudler wrote: »

First time i tried to get the jet it got shot to bits and then blown apart by SAM missiles. Tried a second time and found a jet not in a hanger as such but parked in the open surrounded by these red and white barriers. Managed to get away with taking minimal damage and land at the airstrip before the engine gave out. I read on another forum that using the afterburner too much causes the engine to stop working altogether. Maybe that's what happened because I was flooring it from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

End of story spoiler
    If I chose to kill Michael, didn't realise what a deathwish was, does that mean I can never play with him again in this story??

It won't let me change to him and I left all of his strangers and freaks mission until the story was over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Edit your post Rayne, big spoilers

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Edit your post Rayne, big spoilers

cheers for the heads up totally forgot.

anyone know if that's the case though, seems stupid if I can't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

End of story spoiler
    If I chose to kill Michael, didn't realise what a deathwish was, does that mean I can never play with him again in this story??

It won't let me change to him and I left all of his strangers and freaks mission until the story was over
    No he's gone forever now unless you have a save before the choice was made.

DarkJager wrote: »
    No he's gone forever now unless you have a save before the choice was made.

Cheers, that kind of sucks though!

They should tell you before it that that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone else find this kind of a letdown? Sh1t driving, Sh1t story, 3 unlikeable characters, Crap radio. Police are too full on, the Map is nothing to write home about, (lies from Rockstar). The much hyped varied wildlife and eco system is non existent, I was expecting something similar to RDR levels.

Once you finish it there's nothing to do. Online the same aul bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Does anyone else find this kind of a letdown? Sh1t driving, Sh1t story, 3 unlikeable characters, Crap radio. Police are too full on, the Map is nothing to write home about, (lies from Rockstar). The much hyped varied wildlife and eco system is non existent, I was expecting something similar to RDR levels.

Once you finish it there's nothing to do. Online the same aul bullsh1t.

Happy with the purchase are we.....:D

Take a look on youtube at previous GTA games....this title has come so far its unreal. Its not perfect but its class.....they could have raped us with one playable char and sold the others like DLC. Trevors missions alone I would have bought ten times over if it was separate.

Hopefully they release the next GTA with just all Trevor, that lad would make the Jeremy Kyle show look like little house on the Prairie!!!

Give me Niko Bellic and Liberty City any day. A great story and gritty realism. I thought that was the way Rockstar were moving, not back to this Juvenile 'catch all' format.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The only thing I would have loved is Ray Liotta and others back doing voices....it was simply brilliant in Vice City.

In regards the ending:
    What did you think kill Michael meant? It is pretty self explanatory.
    Give me Niko Bellic and Liberty City any day. A great story and gritty realism. I thought that was the way Rockstar were moving, not back to this Juvenile 'catch all' format.

Niko's story wasn't up to much. You needed both DLC's to move it ahead of SA.

The driving is vastly improved, you no longer have to spend hours practicing to be able to turn without plowing into a wall.

All the characters are likable in their own way. Franklin looked like a typical gang banger so I didn't expect to like him, but even he is likable.

Map is fine. I'd have liked another big-ish city somewhere but it isn't a deal breaker.

The much varied wildlife is there. I've seen a tonne of different animals. Saw my first cow yesterday when I thought I had seen everything.

The only valid complaint is radio, but that is largely a matter of taste. Really, it just seems like you are complaining about everything you can think of for the sake of it.

Niko's story was excellent, the immigrant arriving into NYC starts off at the low level and ascends the ladder to work with the Mafia.. who he despises, All the time we're teased with the folk who he has come to look for. You felt sorry for him at the back of it all, they made him human.

Once you got the knack of the driving it was very rewarding. There was actual effort in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The driving in 4 is far, far better than the driving in 5. The radio and driving are the biggest let downs in 5. Most of the time now I leave the radio off because it annoys the sh1t out of me having to change around to listen to something decent all the time. That and the police are way to full on in this, in 4 you could toy around with them for a bit but in this you have to be one your toes from 2 stars and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Still not being able to afford a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I thought the story was a bit of a let down. The 3 characters are poor enough and the side missions are crap most of the time.

The detail in the game is great though but I think it was hyped up about doing these big hists but there are only a few. Michael is the only half decent character as as the story went on I found my self shouting at the tv for Trevor to shut up. I never took to him at all even though some of his lines are funny

• Advertisement

Niko's story was excellent, the immigrant arriving into NYC starts off at the low level and ascends the ladder to work with the Mafia.. who he despises, All the time we're teased with the folk who he has come to look for. You felt sorry for him at the back of it all, they made him human.

Once you got the knack of the driving it was very rewarding. There was actual effort in it.

Niko was an annoying crybaby. Only CJ was less likable than him. I never once felt sorry for him. I instead felt sorry for Roman having to put up with his crap.

The driving was awful. Something so basic shouldn't require a "knack" to it. If that's what you want, I'm sure you can find a real world driving game to satisfy your needs.

Advertisement