Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

ricero wrote: »
    care to elaborate ? i thought it was good and it was a solid opening to a new series. the setting is great and the acting is superb most notably murphy and sam neill. i love the music

I thought it was too arty. They were going for the good but tough guy with silly Ann and making him out to be a Robin Hood type. I'd have preferred if they got rid of the scenery and backdrops and just made it a good story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I thought this was good on the whole but had some bad elements to it.

The accents were definitely dodgy at times.

The production is using way too much accentuation on colours making what should be a realistic drama look cartoonish. Perhaps this is a monetary constraint but in comparison Boardwalk Empire which is set in a similar time period looks all the better on screen for not going down that road.

The music didn't do it favours at times either as it strayed into Baz Luhrmann territory by contrasting completely different worlds to your eyes and ears.

The acting was good and the story definitely has potential. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much from being accustomed to big US network style tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

humanji wrote: »
    I think the BBC iPlayer will probably have it.

Only available in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

What did Cillian Murphy say just before he
    pulled the trigger and how would there have been blood on his face?

Otherwise looks decent enough:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

blood on his face?

The man on the boat said that there was some kind of plug used in the gun which contained blood ie. not a blank as such.

I'm not sure the "victim" was in on it so whatever was in the gun knocked him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He said it was sheep guts in the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It was decent enough. Some of the dialogue was very 'on the nose' though. The Sam Neill scene with the barmaid was a bit bleh.

"Don't let your history with the IRA get in the way."
    "The fact that the IRA killed my father will not get in the way."

etc. etc.

I'd expect a better standard of dialogue writing from BBC dramas. But that was just a couple of occasions. I'll watch one or two more and see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That really bother me as well, actually. I'm hoping it was just to get the background over with so they can concentrate on the main story from then on. Here's hoping.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I couldn't really get into this. The atrocious accents kept pulling me out of whatever story they were trying to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I thought it was too arty. They were going for the good but tough guy with silly Ann and making him out to be a Robin Hood type. I'd have preferred if they got rid of the scenery and backdrops and just made it a good story

:confused: How is he a 'Robin Hood' type? He's a
    bloody bookmaker!

• Advertisement

I think the ending would have been stronger if
    he (Freddie?) really was shot, it would have set Tommy Shelby up as a proper cold hearted bastard

Even if it had turned out like that I wouldn't see him as a cold hearted bastard, if anything it would be the opposite. He was doing it to save a fellow former soldier suffering a worse fate at the hands of the Italians which he explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was decent enough. Some of the dialogue was very 'on the nose' though. The Sam Neill scene with the barmaid was a bit bleh.

:confused: what do you mean??

fryup wrote: »
    :confused: what do you mean??

On the nose dialogue is really obvious, expositiony dialogue.

For instance in the scene I was talking about - the two characters knew that
    her father had been killed by the IRA
    , most people wouldn't restate it like that. It just felt like very poor writing where everyone says everything that they need to just to serve the audience. A better way would be to allude to what happened and fill in the details at a later date.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

meh, i think you're nit pickin in fairness

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't call it nit pickin' - it's just basic good writing versus bad writing.

As I said it was only in one or two places but it's the sort of thing that if it keeps up would definitely turn me off the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm mostly enjoying this so far but the modern music can be a bit jarring at times. Hard to say whether it will get a second season but my guess is not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm mostly enjoying this so far but the modern music can be a bit jarring at times. Hard to say whether it will get a second season but my guess is not?

I heard there already writing a 3rd series due to great reviews especially in america

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

ricero wrote: »
    I heard there already writing a 3rd series due to great reviews especially in america

I didn't think it it had been sold to the US yet, never mind broadcast?

i watch and i rate it

but i find it very very bleak, with no light relief whatsoever

*hate to think whats going to happen to that girl when they find out she's a spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not really, it can really break immersion. Show, don't tell.

I'm only one episode in so far so I won't rush to judgement. I like it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I started the day as Lady Rose of Connemara and ended it a whore with syphilis
    ;)We know how to treat the girls to a day out.

I liked Tommy's scene with Danny where they talked about the war, Tommy's recurring dream and how he prays for the sun to come up every morning before the diggers break through his wall.

It's enjoyable alright.

The few minor complaints I had about the dialogue haven't become recurring issues.

I think the Nick Cave music suits it better than the Jack White stuff. Are they the only two artists on the soundtrack? It certainly seems that way at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is my new favourite show. I think as Irish accents on American actors go, this show has some of the best I've ever heard so I'll forgive the odd slip here and there, I thought Sam Neill was excellent. It's got so much in it without being overloaded. Union struggles, communists, IRA, Irish spies in England and a bit of WW1 stuff thrown in for good measure.

I'm beginning to enjoy period pieces like this now. The absence of technology shortcuts seems to help with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The one false note in the latest episode for me was when Rose asks Tommy outright why he came back for her, it was too on the nose for me and something that would have been best left unsaid. Its like they thought the audience would be too stupid to get the implication that Rose was slowly melting through Tommys Icy facade so it needed to be explicitly asked.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think as Irish accents on American actors go, this show has some of the best I've ever heard so I'll forgive the odd slip here and there.

:confused: but its british actors its made by the bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

:confused: but its british actors its made by the bbc
    I think there are some Americans in it. I always thought that Sam Neill was American but looking him up it says he's British-New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Cillian Murphy is Irish - well , Republic of Cork but near enough.
    Sam Neill was born in Northern Ireland but was raised from childhood in NZ and established himself as an actor in Australia. He does accents well though so has often played Americans for cash.
    There might be an American or two in there somewhere but it is a BBC production as said above.

The one false note in the latest episode for me was when Rose asks Tommy outright why he came back for her, it was too on the nose for me and something that would have been best left unsaid. Its like they thought the audience would be too stupid to get the implication that Rose was slowly melting through Tommys Icy facade so it needed to be explicitly asked.

That was there alright.

I would hope that the writer is being forced to put those lines in against his will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the latest episode was sensational. really is a great show its surprised me how good it actually is

Advertisement