Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Also, would the sheriff send 4 armed officers to a remote location in a different state to check up on an anonymous caller claiming to be walter white??

Walter called the DEA I think, they would have called the local sheriffs office in that town, after they traced the call. We don't know how long that process took, it could easily have been a few hours before the cars arrived.

Also, the bar tender seemed to be missing, could Walt have force the bartender to drive him away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

stankratz wrote: »
    Forget Walt going balls to the wall on the Nazi compound with an M60, forget his desire to get some revenge for Hank, forget him getting some more screen time with Skyler and family, forget about the other $60m of his that the Nazis have, forget about one more dramatic scene with he and Jesse or he and Todd, forget Lydia...No, next week we are going to see Walt skulking around some upper-class Cali neighbourhood with the internal struggle of 'Do I use the Scarface gun or the horror poison on my 2 old unsuspecting friends who only publicly defended their company on TV?'

That really would be the worst finale to a show I could remember in recent years.

FFS, we get it. A lot of people think it would be stupid if the final episode deals with Walt's relationship with a company that in many ways was the driving force behind his entire transformation. Let's take that as read and leave all the condescending posts out. We're BB fans, this is a BB thread, and we're discussing different BB scenarios - stop trying to make us sound stupid for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

How about one of Gus's old Chilean comrades coming out of the woodwork in the end? "Hey Heisenberg. Gus says hello." Bang. Fade-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Mousewar wrote: »
    FFS, we get it. A lot of people think it would be stupid if the final episode deals with Walt's relationship with a company that in many ways was the driving force behind his entire transformation. Let's take that as read and leave all the condescending posts out. We're BB fans, this is a BB thread, and we're discussing different BB scenarios - stop trying to make us sound stupid for doing so.

Excuse me but a lot of people on this thread were saying that Gretchen scorned Walt and he was kicked out of the company. I think it's likely that the GM loose end may be tied up in the next episode but I'd be very surprised if Walt kills them, something karmic perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone else disappointed with Saul's guy? A cabin in the middle of nowhere isn't exactly a new start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Thought this too. I mean, how far can he have gone? It was surely only minutes between his leaving and the cops arriving. I'm guessing he stole/bought a car and is going straight to ABQ.
    We still have to see how he manages to find a contact to purchase the gun too, now that Saul is out of the picture. My guess is Vaccum guy sets him up with someone, that's if Walt has direct contact to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

How about one of Gus's old Chilean comrades coming out of the woodwork in the end? "Hey Heisenberg. Gus says hello." Bang. Fade-out.

Reminiscent of another Al Pacino film, Carlito's Way:

"Hey Carlito, remember me? Benny Blanco from The Bronx." Bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I think I rather missed the parts I implied or said anyone was "stupid" or posted anything condescending!!! No need to be so oversensitive. Perhaps you missed where I said I DON'T think GM will be addressed in the finale?

I'm just wondering how the FFs are going to come into play next week. Surely they're not going to incorporate the 2 of them into the episode or that would take up about 10 minutes of time that could have been used not showing previously seen footage.

My prediction is that by the time we see Walter White next week, he will have the M60 and Ricin in hand; he will have already been to the diner and Carol's oranges will be long bruised!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

stevenmu wrote: »
    Walter called the DEA I think, they would have called the local sheriffs office in that town, after they traced the call. We don't know how long that process took, it could easily have been a few hours before the cars arrived.

Also, the bar tender seemed to be missing, could Walt have force the bartender to drive him away?

Yeah but it was an anonymous caller, for all the DEA knew it could be just another idiot claiming to be walter white on the end of the line. sending 4 armed officers in on a bar on the basis of a phonecall from another state seems a bit implausible to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think anyone's being condescending. It's just friendly discussion. We're allowed to talk about it. :confused:

I don't think there was any huge transformation in Walt either. Walt has always been Heisenberg in a sense. In the flashbacks to Gray Matter we see him as very confident, charismatic, perhaps somewhat vain. Throw a bit of bitterness and resentment into the mix and you've got Heisenberg. Gray Matter just set the wheels in motion, but Walt has always had that person in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dman001 wrote: »
    We still have to see how he manages to find a contact to purchase the gun too, now that Saul is out of the picture. My guess is Vaccum guy sets him up with someone, that's if Walt has direct contact to him.

In the FFs, we already know he gets it from the guy he bought the handgun from back in season......3 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

stankratz wrote: »
    Forget Walt going balls to the wall on the Nazi compound with an M60, forget his desire to get some revenge for Hank, forget him getting some more screen time with Skyler and family, forget about the other $60m of his that the Nazis have, forget about one more dramatic scene with he and Jesse or he and Todd, forget Lydia...No, next week we are going to see Walt skulking around some upper-class Cali neighbourhood with the internal struggle of 'Do I use the Scarface gun or the horror poison on my 2 old unsuspecting friends who only publicly defended their company on TV?'

That really would be the worst finale to a show I could remember in recent years.

how does Walt getting in a parting shot at Gray Matter preclude any of the above from happening?

Yeah but it was an anonymous caller, for all the DEA knew it could be just another idiot claiming to be walter white on the end of the line. sending 4 armed officers in on a bar on the basis of a phonecall from another state seems a bit implausible to me.

He phoned Walt Jr too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jesse may not be as bad as Walt but he's still bad, the only innocent people in it at the moment are Jr, Marie and Holly.

Innocent my hole, shoplifting is a serious crime. I hope she gets bludgeoned with one of Hank's mineral rocks after Walt reveals her wardrobe full of stolen shoes.

It's the only fitting finale that would satisfy me.

Shout Dust wrote: »
    He phoned Walt Jr too

The DEA dont know that though. They could only track whats coming into their own line.

The DEA dont know that though. They could only track whats coming into their own line.

Yeah but surely the school or someone would have rang after Walt jrs outburst, especially when they realised Heisenberg is on the other end of the line, which happens to have an anonymous call to the DEA a minute later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I don't think there was any huge transformation in Walt either. Walt has always been Heisenberg in a sense. In the flashbacks to Gray Matter we see him as very confident, charismatic, perhaps somewhat vain. Throw a bit of bitterness and resentment into the mix and you've got Heisenberg. Gray Matter just set the wheels in motion, but Walt has always had that person in him.

What I find most interesting about Walt is that he's different with different people. That charismatic side came back in a couple of scenes with Hank, particularly the one where they discussed who WW was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I think I rather missed the parts I implied or said anyone was "stupid" or posted anything condescending!!! No need to be so oversensitive. Perhaps you missed where I said I DON'T think GM will be addressed in the finale?

My apologies - i didn't actually mean to quote you. Fixed it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Haig's 'Dimple'- Blended scotch whiskey, very pricey.

Its not that expensive. About €40 a bottle if I remember correctly. It comes in a great triangular shaped bottle though which is pretty cool, and distinctive. I think I saw Walt drinking it in his house in a previous episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Between the phonecall and the barman being able to identify him I say they will know he was there, could even be cameras in the bar.

I hope it picks up next week with him driving off after scaring the crap out of Carol. But then we will probably have people trying to pick holes similar to how did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham without x, y, and z.

And yes when two DEA agents are dead, every lead would be followed up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

vitani wrote: »
    What I find most interesting about Walt is that he's different with different people. That charismatic side came back in a couple of scenes with Hank, particularly the one where they discussed who WW was.

True dat. He flits back and forth between the uber-confident Heisenberg persona and the meek Walter White quite a bit. Ultimately he's both, or has the potential to be both. He was Walter White for years while under-achieving as a high school teacher, and he was Walter White for a bit during the last episode. Then when you see him taking on his enemies, it's 100% Heisenberg, the confrontation with Hank was Heisenberg. The phonecall to Skylar was an obvious struggle between both halves. I think in the flashbacks we see both too - he's not a murderer in the flashbacks, but he's clearly a supremely confident individual. Heisenberg is always bubbling beneath the surface, it just needs an excuse to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't know why people come here trying to pick holes in the plot.

Why did sherrifs go in?

How could DEA trace call?

How would they not recognise him with new glasses?

How did he get back to New Mexico.

Etc

The show has been pretty believeable throughout the entire serious and I really couldn't give a sh1te how he gets back to ABQ without being caught, it's what happens when he's there that matters.

Sometimes in shows gaps are just left due to time constraints and script choices having to be made, we do need to see and analyse every happening.

Just enjoy this television spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Everytime I come back to this thread I end up eating my words, damn you Vince Gilligan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone else disappointed with Saul's guy? A cabin in the middle of nowhere isn't exactly a new start.

That's just because Walt is an exceptional case, and the most high profile client (nationwide man hunt) he ever had, so the cabin is just a mid way point in the whole disappearing plan, probably until the hoover guy has Walts new identify fully worked out.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really couldn't give a sh1te how he gets back to ABQ without being caught, it's what happens when he's there that matters.

You'd be happy with Walt out in the sticks one episode and the next strolling down Main Street ABQ and nobody any the wiser as to how he got there?? If you like your plot developments like you like your swiss cheese then fair enough. Others would care to differ.

Shout Dust wrote: »
    how does Walt getting in a parting shot at Gray Matter preclude any of the above from happening?

53 minutes running time says that we won't see any significant time devoted to shít that doesn't need it. Walt, Jesse, Skyler, Lydia, Nazis, Todd...all characters and arcs they have been building for the last few seasons, I quite simply think that there is enough to deal with in the last episode without Gretchen and Elliot who are not big players.

But more importantly than any of that, why would he take a parting shot at 2 old friends? It would go completely against everything they've presented Walt as so far. He is not somebody who murders for the sake of it, especially old friends and people he considers family. Sure Hank was hellbent on seeing Walt spend his remaining days in jail, he even said 'good, I hope you rot' when Walt told him the cancer was back. Despite this, Walt still offered all his Heisenberg earnings to keep Hank alive. Gretchen and Elliot offered Walt a job, offered to pay for his treatment. Unless there's a shark getting ready to jump and the show will be renamed 'Breaking Psycho' for the last episode I don't think that Gretchen and Elliot will die. I'll even go as far as to summise that what we've seen of them in 'Granite State' will be the last we see of those 2 characters.

That is just my 2 cents from my reading of the show so far. My opinion isn't any more right or valid than anyone else's here and if this thing that I'm saying won't happen actually happens, I'll be the 1st to quote what I've said here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Mmm swiss cheese

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement