Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

the_monkey wrote: »
    Granite State is New Hampshire

I know but surely there is some sort of double meaning for it. Its too much of a coincidence.

It doesn't matter anyway but I felt as intelligent as Mr.White when I first realised it so don't take it away from me. Please.

;)

I might end looking a clown for this in the end but, can people please stop suggesting Walt is going to take the ricin himself.

Why would he want to sh*t himself to death over a prolonged period when he could just end it all in a second if he wanted to. It wouldn't be the most pleasant and convenient way of going!

So, how many of you have gone back to episode 1 of season 5 in search of stuff that may make sense at this stage? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

banquo wrote: »
    I think his departure from Gray Matter is when he became Walter White. And I think he sees being Walter White as the part of his that has to die.

Interesting point. I think that Walter White existed when he rang the DEA, however he soon diminished when he saw the interview. Just like MacBeth, there is no turning back and Heisenberg is going to make sure his contribution is noticed.

Based on he trailer and key quotes form the episode, I think the following topics will return : family, cancer, legacy. You get the picture.

Interesting point about why he left Grey Matter. As we know Walt is an exceptional scientist, but who is to say he has not dabbled in meth at this period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Anyone else not loving the "Todd loves Lydia" storyline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    For all the poeple saying Grey Matter has no real relevance to the story/Heisenberg...

Didn't Walt tell Jesse that he had to make more than Grey Matter was worth or something to that effect?

Apologies if I completely imagined that happening

He said he was in the empire business, he never specifically said anything about making more than them. He did however point out that their worth was in the billions. How exactly do you think Walt is going to go from $11m to billions in a few short months?

As I've already said GM have no place in the finale, they don't even nearly deserve it and I'll be a little sick if they get any screen time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Apart from Walt's hair growing a couple of centimetres, nothing really happened in that episode.

Jesse got out of his cage and now he's back in his cage. Andrea is dead and the Nazis are threatening Brock whereas last week they were threatening both Andrea and Brock; not a big difference. Walt went to New Hampshire and now he's presumably coming back from New Hampshire. Flynn was shouting at Walt last week and he's shouting at him this week. All the main characters are back where they were a week ago.

Yep, another filler episode. Boring wouldn't begin to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Essien wrote: »
    As I've already said GM have no place in the finale, they don't even nearly deserve it and I'll be a little sick if they get any screen time at all.

Yep. Maybe he'd go after GM if there were 5 or 6 episodes left. It's not relevant with one episode left. It would only serve to be unnecessary and unwanted filler in the finale, and I'm not really sure why anyone would want to see the story go off on this bizarre tangent in the final episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Ardent wrote: »

Maybe you should stop watching this and start on shows like Big bang theory to hold your attention a bit better, christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The opening scene of the last episode is Todd and Lydia in the sack? She is poisoned at some point? Having Lydia die is the kind of punishment the audience need to see Todd receive but only if she means more to him than at present (for greater effect she should also be pregnant.).

- Walt knows Pinkman is probably alive because of the quality of the Meth.
    - He knows Lydia is involved with the Nazis because the Meth is still making it's way to eastern Europe.
    - He will want to go out in a way that clears Skylar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyone else not loving the "Todd loves Lydia" storyline?

It's an interesting one, as he's not as dough eyed over her as I thought. If he was, he would done what she said and murdered Skyler. I wouldn't say he's in love, just infatuated in his own typically creepy way.

It surely must have been his admiration for Walt that stopped him from doing the deed, so it'll be fascinating to see in the finale if this "conflict of interest" will come into play for Todd in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In the totality of Walter White's life, GM have been way more important than the meth business. His involvement with meth is less than 2 years. His dealings with GM have been the strongest influence on his life over the past 20-ish years. Without the GM 'incident' (whatever it may be), there is no Water White entering the drugs business. He blames Elliot and Gretchen (wrongly I'd imagine) for stealing his work and ruining his life. He has spent the last 20 years thinking he's been fcuked over by them. I've said before that if Walt is going out in a blaze of glory, he's taking GM too if he can. I think their involvement in the finale would be fitting. However, I don't think it's going to happen. Not enough screen time and just too 'confusing' for many viewers. We've seen the last of them I think.

My highly improbable prediction for the finale:
    Walt knows from the GM interview and Jr's reaction that any hope of a legacy for Walter White is gone. A Heisenberg legacy is the only thing he has left, and now even that's being taken from him by the renewed blue meth production. He let GM take his work and profit from it (or so he believes); he's not going to let Jesse and the Nazis do the same. The ricin is to be put into a batch of meth, with the resulting mass sickness forever associating blue meth with substandard product - except when it was produced by Heisenberg, the producer of the best meth in history....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Ardent wrote: »

You're right... 'boring' wouldn't describe it at all.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Maybe you should stop watching this and start on shows like Big bang theory to hold your attention a bit better, christ almighty.

Maybe you should buy a new sarcasm detector!

In the totality of Walter White's life, GM have been way more important than the meth business. His involvement with meth is less than 2 years. His dealings with GM have been the strongest influence on his life over the past 20-ish years. Without the GM 'incident' (whatever it may be), there is no Water White entering the drugs business. He blames Elliot and Gretchen (wrongly I'd imagine) for stealing his work and ruining his life. He has spent the last 20 years thinking he's been fcuked over by them. I've said before that if Walt is going out in a blaze of glory, he's taking GM too if he can. I think their involvement in the finale would be fitting. However, I don't think it's going to happen. Not enough screen time and just too 'confusing' for many viewers. We've seen the last of them I think.

I'm not doubting that they were instrumental in making Walt the man he became, that's completely right. The problem is they've had almost no input throughout the course of the show, to introduce them as a target at this stage would be completely nonsensical.

Now while it might satisfy some wishy washy sense of poetic justice for some viewers, the reality is it makes absolutely no sense in the context of the show. Not only the fact that they've been introduced so late in the game but they really haven't done anything wrong, ever.

Has Walt/Heisenberg ever killed anyone who didn't pose some degree of a threat to the safety / livelihood of someone he cared about? He certainly hasn't killed anyone who was as far removed from his criminal activities as the Schwartz's are. They just don't fit the bill, it shouldn't happen and if it does it will be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I always seem to be at odds with the consensus but I thought that was one of the best eps in the series. Todd is such an enigma. Does he have a conscience or not? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I'm not doubting that they were instrumental in making Walt the man he became, that's completely right. The problem is they've had almost no input throughout the course of the show, to introduce them as a target at this stage would be completely nonsensical.

Now while it might satisfy some wishy washy sense of poetic justice for some viewers, the reality is it makes absolutely no sense in the context of the show. Not only the fact that they've been introduced so late in the game but they really haven't done anything wrong, ever.

Has Walt/Heisenberg ever killed anyone who didn't pose some degree of a threat to the safety / livelihood of someone he cared about? He certainly hasn't killed anyone who was as far removed from his criminal activities as the Schwartz's are. They just don't fit the bill, it shouldn't happen and if it does it will be ridiculous.

Disagreed.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Disagreed.

Excellent point, you've convinced me.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

You're right, it was mentioned here somewhere...Feleena is a character in the Marty Robbins song "El Paso" and he also wrote a follow up song about her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_(song)

Jesus, reading that description:
    Feleena (From El Paso)

In 1966, Robbins recorded "Feleena (From El Paso)", telling the life story of Feleena, the "Mexican girl" from "El Paso", in a third-person narrative. This track was over eight minutes long. Robbins wrote most of it in Phoenix, Arizona, but went to El Paso seeking inspiration for the conclusion.
    Born in a desert shack in New Mexico during a thunderstorm, Feleena runs away from home at 17, living off her charms for a year in Santa Fe, before moving to the brighter lights of El Paso to become a paid dancer. After another year, the narrator of "El Paso" arrives, the first man she did not have contempt for. He spends six weeks romancing her, before shooting another man with whom she was flirting through "insane jealousy" in a retelling of the key moment in the original song. Her lover's return to El Paso comes only a day after his flight (the original song suggests a longer timeframe before his return) and as she goes to run to him, the cowboy motions to her to stay out of the line of fire and is shot; immediately after his dying kiss, Feleena shoots herself with his gun. Their ghosts are heard to this day in the wind blowing around El Paso: "It's only the young cowboy showing Feleena the town".

A huge leap of faith but.. Walt/Skyler?

I still have an inkling that Skyler will be the last man standing, but the above synopsis has me second-guessing every prediction I've attempted so far! There's been a few references to her suicidal tendencies in the past.

Excellent point, you've convinced me.
    Well you've been saying the same thing over and over for about ten pages now despite the fact that Grey Matter is clearly a more influencing factor is the Walter White story than some blow-in group of scumbags. Would be very fitting to have the story come full arc with their involvement in the finale.
    Mightn't happen but it's certainly not ridiculous.

• Advertisement

For me the grey matter stuff seemed to give Walt the impetus he needed to go back and not quite clear his name but cement some sort of legacy for himself (poster tagline 'remember my name'). I suppose he will be rescuing Brock.

Walt knows from the GM interview and Jr's reaction that any hope of a legacy for Walter White is gone. A Heisenberg legacy is the only thing he has left, and now even that's being taken from him by the renewed blue meth production. He let GM take his work and profit from it (or so he believes); he's not going to let Jesse and the Nazis do the same. The ricin is to be put into a batch of meth, with the resulting mass sickness forever associating blue meth with substandard product - except when it was produced by Heisenberg, the producer of the best meth in history....

Good call.

Well you've been saying the same thing over and over for about ten pages now despite the fact that Grey Matter is clearly a more influencing factor is the Walter White story than some blow-in group of scumbags. Would be very fitting to have the story come full arc with their involvement in the finale.
    Mightn't happen but it's certainly not ridiculous.

Ok then, we'll have to leave it there. I'm just genuinely stunned that people are so open to what would be such a dreadful conclusion to an amazing show.

People don't seriously think that Walt is going back to kill Gretchen and Eliot, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think GM was just a tool to get Walt into revenge mode, I don't think anything else will come out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I'm going to subscribe to this theory.

My first thoughts were that he was going to get revenge on GM, but it is more likely that he will try to be remembered as Heisenburg as Walter White is being written out of GM's history.

I really hope Jessie survives this whole thing, but he has suffered so much at this stage now, its hard to know what will happen to him.

One thing Breaking Bad has been very good at is concluding loose ends, nearly every side plot we've had there has been an answer to it or conclusion. All except the stuff with Grey Matter. We still don't know what happened there going back as far as Season 1 & 2. There is some history there between Walt & Gretchen clearly. Is Gretchen going to be Fellina from the Marty Robbins songs who knows? I don't think it is outside the realms of possibility. I'll say this if Walt didn't see that program on TV he looked like he was accepting defeat finally after his call with Walt Jnr but watching that rekindled something and I for one would be glad if he got revenge on Gretchen & Elliot. I don't think he'll kill them but I think he has a way of ruining them in spectacular fashion that is part of his final plot and in doing so somehow secures a way of providing for his family. It's the only legitimate way he has of getting money because it pre-dates his criminal activity, funny that Saul mentioned something along those lines in last night's episode ;) .

I think after that Walt will go after Jesse as he knows that his product is out there and that Jesse is still alive. The finale will be between Jesse & Walt. Whatever happens I don't know how they're going to fit it in to a final episode.

One thing Breaking Bad has been very good at is concluding loose ends, nearly every side plot we've had there has been an answer to it or conclusion. All except the stuff with Grey Matter. We still don't know what happened there going back as far as Season 1 & 2. There is some history there between Walt & Gretchen clearly. Is Gretchen going to be Fellina from the Marty Robbins songs who knows? I don't think it is outside the realms of possibility. I'll say this if Walt didn't see that program on TV he looked like he was accepting defeat finally after his call with Walt Jnr but watching that rekindled something and I for one would be glad if he got revenge on Gretchen & Elliot. I don't think he'll kill them but I think he has a way of ruining them in spectacular fashion that is part of his final plot and in doing so somehow secures a way of providing for his family. It's the only legitimate way he has of getting money because it pre-dates his criminal activity, funny that Saul mentioned something along those lines in last night's episode ;) .

I think after that Walt will go after Jesse as he knows that his product is out there and that Jesse is still alive. The finale will be between Jesse & Walt. Whatever happens I don't know how they're going to fit it in to a final episode.

The GM television spot raised the concept of how the company was negatively effected by association with Heisenberg. I wonder if there's a way for Walter to somehow emphasise that connection in order to ruin the company? Longshot maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

snausages wrote: »
    People don't seriously think that Walt is going back to kill Gretchen and Eliot, surely?

Apparently so. Despite the fact it would be totally out of character, people seriously believe that will be his motivation in the finale. A lot of people forgetting that Walt only kills people he has perceived to be a threat to him, be that as a threat to his life, a threat to outing him as Heisenberg, or a threat to his family (or Jesse in one instance).

It just wouldn't make sense.

• Advertisement

The GM television spot raised the concept of how the company was negatively effected by association with Heisenberg. I wonder if there's a way for Walter to somehow emphasise that connection in order to ruin the company? Longshot maybe...

One thing is for sure we know Walt is good at turning something around on people. I just think they have to answer the question of what happened with GM in the final episode as it was never answered and from the meetings early in the show between Gretchen and Walt you could see how hurt he was.

Advertisement