Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Was vacuum man the janitors dad in scrubs. I think it was him and he appeared in one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Was vacuum man the janitors dad in scrubs. I think it was him and he appeared in one episode.

He's Robert Forster, acting legend - Max Cherry himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Can anybody estimate how long Walter was in hiding for?

6 months but i ain't sure

2 months, I'd say.

Holly was 18 months old when he went into hiding (according to the police officer who sent out her description). She was born about four months after the first episode. So 22 months would have passed between then and when he went into hiding - another two months brings us to his 52nd birthday, and it also fits with the fact that the vacuum guy seemed to have made two trips to Walt's cabin. We saw the second one there.

Talking Bad gave it as around three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

He's Robert Forster, acting legend - Max Cherry himself.

I was wrong. Just found the guy I'm on about and he's called Robert Lee Ermey.
    They do not look alike :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    People need to stop saying this. Suicide by ricin is not going to happen. Why would he not just shoot himself?
    Plus we know he's capable of it, he pulled the trigger during the very first episode. If the gun hadn't jammed, he would be dead.

You must mean Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann, in Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Enjoyed this episode a lot slower than last week but that's no bad thing sets up the ending very nicely. Really liked when grey matter appeared on the TV and jolted Heisenberg back into action, when they discredited him on TV that was the final straw.

Its hard to believe Jesse could be so stupid, even if he did manage to escape, chances are he wouldn't have got to Andrea in time, and he already knows what a psyco Todd is. Also I wish they showed him actually getting out of the cage it was like seeing half magic trick.

Its hard to believe Jesse could be so stupid, even if he did manage to escape, chances are he wouldn't have got to Andrea in time, and he already knows what a psyco Todd is.
    He obviously really, really doesn't like Ben & Jerry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Plus we know he's capable of it, he pulled the trigger during the very first episode. If the gun hadn't jammed, he would be dead.

Yeah, can you imagine. We'd have spent the last five seasons just watching Skyler and Walt Jr eating breakfast together and Hank and Marie popping over for steaks. For me, the series would definitely have lost something if Walt just killed himself in the first episode. In many ways, it would actually be a totally different show IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great episode, I burst out laughing when Lydia and Todd were in the cafe and she said that the 92% was "Heisenberg class" or something to that effect and Todd just looked away with this big "awww shucks!" grin on his face. Like he's the star pupil.

Jesse is at rock bottom now, and he's been at rock bottom before.

Strange to being the Grey Matter couple back in, they havent been seen since what season 2? Was a good way of showin how much of an egomaniac Walt is though, was that story about the name of the company true or made up? I can't remember back that far tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The story about the name was true, but it was implied at the beginning of the show (season 1 loike) that he played a 50% role in founding the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Brilliant episode, I thought. Brilliant way to tie in Gray Matter and highlight the real crux of the Heisenberg issue. I don't think that Walt is coming for Gretchen and Elliott, I think it's simply a catalyst for what's to come. It serves as a trigger for Walt. He doesn't want to die, alone and pathetic in a cabin in the arsehole of New Hampshire, with his whole empire collapsed around him. He wants to have a legacy and would rather go out in a blaze of glory than to just fade away. Having the Gray Matter stuff rubbed in his face on television is just reigniting a fire in him. He wants to be remembered as somebody.

I feel so bad for Jesse. He's really getting a hard time of it. How much worse can it possibly get for him? I can't see him having any fight left in him now. I'd love to see him kill Todd and get vengeance, but I don't see how that's going to happen now. His only hope is some escape involving Walt, whether a deliberate rescue plan or just by chance.

Todd is an absolute psychopath. It's a brilliant character, played so well. Every time he's on screen, my skin just crawls, especially any scene with Lydia. She still seems somewhat oblivious to his intense liking of her, which could land her in a bit of trouble. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Todd could turn his back on his boys in favour of Lydia and then she throws him under the bus or something?

Can't wait for the last episode now. So much to get through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

And not to sound like a broken record, but: if Lydia never mentioned the lack of blue colour to Walt, then Walt has no way of knowing that note-taking, star pupil Todd cannot replicate the colour (low percentage yield or no). Therefore, the Schwartz TV appearance would not lead him to think Jesse was back alive and well and cooking in Nazi-camp. So, Walt has no reason to think Jesse is alive. He will spot something in the paper about Andrea, though, and then he will know. He may also realise that Jesse is going through Hell and, well...

When Uncle Jack was asking Walt to tutor Todd in exchange for killing Jesse, he mentioned that the colour needed to be put right - 'Apparently that blue touch that you put on it, it's all the craze with those Slavic types'.

krudler wrote: »
    Great episode, I burst out laughing when Lydia and Todd were in the cafe and she said that the 92% was "Heisenberg class" or something to that effect and Todd just looked away with this big "awww shucks!" grin on his face. Like he's the star pupil.

Jesse is at rock bottom now, and he's been at rock bottom before.

Strange to being the Grey Matter couple back in, they havent been seen since what season 2? Was a good way of showin how much of an egomaniac Walt is though, was that story about the name of the company true or made up? I can't remember back that far tbh.

Not made up. They called the company after the "chemical bonding" of their names. They do seem to be lying about it being Walt's only contribution to the company, as it is made very clear in the Schwartz birthday party episode that Walt was a bit of a chemistry genius and destined for glory back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

WHO THE FüCK IS THE RICIN FOR ???????????????

its keeping me up at night, I cant wait 6 days

vitani wrote: »
    When Uncle Jack was asking Walt to tutor Todd in exchange for killing Jesse, he mentioned that the colour needed to be put right - 'Apparently that blue touch that you put on it, it's all the craze with those Slavic types'.

Thanks. That clears that up.

I'm really beginning to think Brock might be the Kenard of Breaking Bad... Gilligan wouldn't do that to us, would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have no idea how this will work out.

Walt has three motivations that i can make out now:

Revenge on Jack and his gang

Get money to his family

Restore reputation involving grey matter

Who the fcuk knows how it will play out?

Very impressive that the show keeps you guessing until the end but i can't see myself being satisfied this time next week.

Right now Walt can't make contact with anyone, can't get in touch with family, can't find where Jesse and Todd are.

All he can really do is get the gun, get the ricin and then either go after Grey Matter or Lydia.

I've actually been dreaming about Breaking Bad.

• Advertisement

banquo wrote: »

Join the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Brilliant episode, I thought. Brilliant way to tie in Gray Matter and highlight the real crux of the Heisenberg issue. I don't think that Walt is coming for Gretchen and Elliott, I think it's simply a catalyst for what's to come. It serves as a trigger for Walt. He doesn't want to die, alone and pathetic in a cabin in the arsehole of New Hampshire, with his whole empire collapsed around him. He wants to have a legacy and would rather go out in a blaze of glory than to just fade away. Having the Gray Matter stuff rubbed in his face on television is just reigniting a fire in him. He wants to be remembered as somebody.

That's it, he's said multiple times it can't all be for nothing so go out in a blaze of glory instead of fading away, Walt is completely egotistical, even if he didnt start off that way.

I'm back on the fence about Walt, Cranston was phenomenal this episode, especially on the phone to Walt Jnr.

Kinda disappointed if whoever trashed the house and wrote Heisenberg on the walls was just random kids, I thought it would have more meaning (assuming it does and we just haven't seen it yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Why on earth would Walt kill them anyway? I don't think he's ever killed anyone for ****s and giggles, or he's never killed anyone just because they disrespected him. Walt has pretty much only ever killed to protect himself, or to protect those he cares about. He only kills in scenarios he views as "kill or be killed". He may be pissed with Gretchen and Elliott but he has no reason to kill them, he has bigger fish to fry anyway...

He killed Mike because he insulted his pride. He could have let him drive away into the sunset and continued as he did but he shot him anyway.

I'm not certain that Walt would go after Gretchen and Elliot in an obvious way, he might try to damage the reputation of the company maybe, but I do think that he's capable of revenge killing.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Todd could turn his back on his boys in favour of Lydia and then she throws him under the bus or something?
    I can't work out if he likes her (if he's even capable of that) or if he sees his next pet when he looks at her, so it would be very hard to tell if he would take on his family to protect her.

"Tell me about the mice, Uncle Jack."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

banquo wrote: »
    Working 8 hours today, knowing the latest episode was up online was more painful than waiting the previous 6 days for the episode! :D Obsessed isn't the word! Gonna have to wait up next week and watch the finale. Avoiding the internet all day next Monday isn't an option!

The internet seems to be abuzz that Walt is going out to get Gray Matter, and the ricin is intended for Gretchen and Swartz. Even for Walt, Killing someone like that and driving thousands of miles just because they bad mouthed him on TV doesn't seem plausible to me. The motivation just doesn't sit right with me. Gray Matter has gone, and that ship has sailed for him. What isn't gone yet is the Heisenberg name and reputation, one he can resurrect for one last hurrah and showdown. Bare in mind, Walt was chocked up about killing Mike a while back - someone he constantly fought with and never saw eye-to-eye. Would he really go to such lengths and planning to kill an old friend (and girlfriend if I remember right?). Doesn't make sense to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Basq wrote: »
    Watched it before work this morning - definitely the calm before the storm!

Lads, I've had to delete probably 10 - 12 posts with links to live streams..

.. I know ye are all excited to watch it, but this sort of stuff is not on!

Have warned a number of users and you're lucky I didn't take out the banhammer for the finale!

No more of this next week please - you have been warned!

Basq wins Fairest Boards Mod award.

When we were all frantically posting links last night I was thinking "uh oh!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I don't think there'll be anymore Grey Matter stuff next week. What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Basq wins Fairest Boards Mod award.

When we were all frantically posting links last night I was thinking "uh oh!" :pac:

If you check the other threads, this was the only time we got caught...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So after absolutely hating last weeks episode, they completely won me back. The finale is now 90% set up for me and I actually cannot wait to see how it goes.

:confused::confused::confused:

Last week's was one of the top 5 all time great BB episodes

Advertisement