Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Idea

Options
  • 20-09-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have an idea for a mobile application + website. I don't have the skills to build the app+ website. However I have strong commercial knowledge and a lot of contacts within the mobile telecoms sector that I could leverage from a Commercial point of view. I am looking to speak with some developers with a view to finding an investor to bring the project forward. I have developer contacts all over the world but I would like to keep to developing project within Ireland if possible. Please reply to this thread first if interest in meeting to have chat etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Dad11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have an idea for a mobile application + website. I don't have the skills to build the app+ website. However I have strong commercial knowledge and a lot of contacts within the mobile telecoms sector that I could leverage from a Commercial point of view. I am looking to speak with some developers with a view to finding an investor to bring the project forward. I have developer contacts all over the world but I would like to keep to developing project within Ireland if possible. Please reply to this thread first if interest in meeting to have chat etc.

You are going to need to give a lot more detail than that, to get anyone's interest. Do you have a business plan, functional specification or any sort of supporting documentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

Hi there,

I am formulating the functional specification as we speak along with the business plan. I am reluctant to give away too much information. There are issues around Intellectual property and also would be reluctant to give detail on a public forum especially without having a non disclosure agreement in place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd spend less time on worrying about the IP and more time on actually having a product/business.

Number of times I've come across a developer who's stolen someones idea, 0. Believe it or not most developers are a) too busy working with/for paying clients b) actually have their own ideas for products they'd like to work on.

You're going to find it difficult enough to find developers even willing to entertain you with an idea/equity proposal before you start putting NDA's in the way. What if you approach me with an NDA and I sign it then discover it's similar to an idea I had 3 years ago? What if a week after I sign your NDA I get a real paying customer with a similar idea?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your idea is bad, obviously I don't know what it is. I'm not saying you'll never get a developer to sign an NDA, you might. I'm not saying you won't get a developer to give up weeks/months of well paid work in return for a potential percentage of an idea that someone with no track record in the industry has, you might.

Best of luck.

Hi there,

I am formulating the functional specification as we speak along with the business plan. I am reluctant to give away too much information. There are issues around Intellectual property and also would be reluctant to give detail on a public forum especially without having a non disclosure agreement in place

People like you are a common occurrence on these forums, simply put the idea is worthless its the execution that is valuable.

Not to mention that an NDA isin't worth the paper its written on.

Graham are you a developer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

NDA's and specs are great, but if you can get one customer to sign up to your idea, you know you should build. Call your contacts and tell them how you can save them money/enhance something with your app and if they want it, (and you could sign the first few at a discount) you have a winner. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Are you a developer? When you say "People like you” What exactly do you mean by that? I am a name on a screen a username. You don’t know me from Adam and you think you have a right to label me like that? Maybe I should say there are a lot of people like you on these forums as well. As I said I have the commercial acumen and the business sense to ensure the execution of the idea will be a success.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    People like you are a common occurrence on these forums, simply put the idea is worthless its the execution that is valuable.

Not to mention that an NDA isin't worth the paper its written on.

Good idea. Percy. That is part of the plan

percy212 wrote: »
    NDA's and specs are great, but if you can get one customer to sign up to your idea, you know you should build. Call your contacts and tell them how you can save them money/enhance something with your app and if they want it, (and you could sign the first few at a discount) you have a winner. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Are you a developer? When you say "People like you” What exactly do you mean by that? I am a name on a screen a username. You don’t know me from Adam and you think you have a right to label me like that? Maybe I should say there are a lot of people like you on these forums as well. As I said I have the commercial acumen and the business sense to ensure the execution of the idea will be a success.

"Ideas guys" who come on to development forums, they don't state a budget, have no supporting documentation and won't talk about the idea thus immediately halting any valuable discourse on the subject.

Thats what I mean when I say "people like you".

Yes, I am a developer (who is actually curious about working with you), however for the points mentioned it above you are making it practically impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Developers will get approached directly a few times a year with people with an 'idea'. On these boards, especially this one, someone will post that they have an 'idea' they want developed at least once a month - read through this forum if you don't believe me.

Presently you have an idea that you do not want to discuss in detail to protect the IP at present. Fair enough.

Thing is, presently that is all you have. You have no functionality specification, no business plan. No offer of payment. Nothing. Given you come from a commercial background and you're seeking the services of someone else's skills, you should understand that you're not coming to the table with much.

Ultimately, the onus is on you to sell the idea to any potential developer (be it a supplier, future employee or potential partner). There is a finite number of developers willing to spare the free time and a vastly larger number of people with 'ideas', most of which never get beyond a few scribbles on the laptop and a few pub conversations. Again, your commercial experience should be reminding you of the law of supply and demand at this point.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to go back and consider how best your idea would attract investment - and by investment, it's not just equity bought with VC, but also with sweat, and then pitch it again here and elsewhere. Getting upset with people here because they've seen 'ideas' people tire-kicking on fora like this, isn't going to get you anywhere; naturally he doesn't know you, but he's experienced enough to know that there's little point in knowing you at this stage.

My best advice is to return once you don't need an NDA. When, thanks to your research or any other deals you've made (e.g. potential clients) someone couldn't simply steal what you have. If all you have is an NDA to protect your business model, that's a warning sign to me that you don't have much.

And before you ask, yes I am a developer, with 15 years under my belt, although I am much more commercial than technical nowadays. More importantly, much of my work involves consulting for start-ups, getting them the VC and resources to get them up and going and bringing them up to a level where they can get those resources and VC without being laughed out of the room when they ask.

• Advertisement

Prefer to meet in person. I feel my idea may need more than one developer

Developers will get approached directly a few times a year with people with an 'idea'. On these boards, especially this one, someone will post that they have an 'idea' they want developed at least once a month - read through this forum if you don't believe me.

Presently you have an idea that you do not want to discuss in detail to protect the IP at present. Fair enough.

Thing is, presently that is all you have. You have no functionality specification, no business plan. No offer of payment. Nothing. Given you come from a commercial background and you're seeking the services of someone else's skills, you should understand that you're not coming to the table with much.

Ultimately, the onus is on you to sell the idea to any potential developer (be it a supplier, future employee or potential partner). There is a finite number of developers willing to spare the free time and a vastly larger number of people with 'ideas', most of which never get beyond a few scribbles on the laptop and a few pub conversations. Again, your commercial experience should be reminding you of the law of supply and demand at this point.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to go back and consider how best your idea would attract investment - and by investment, it's not just equity bought with VC, but also with sweat, and then pitch it again here and elsewhere. Getting upset with people here because they've seen 'ideas' people tire-kicking on fora like this, isn't going to get you anywhere; naturally he doesn't know you, but he's experienced enough to know that there's little point in knowing you at this stage.

My best advice is to return once you don't need an NDA. When, thanks to your research or any other deals you've made (e.g. potential clients) someone couldn't simply steal what you have. If all you have is an NDA to protect your business model, that's a warning sign to me that you don't have much.

And before you ask, yes I am a developer, with 15 years under my belt, although I am much more commercial than technical nowadays. More importantly, much of my work involves consulting for start-ups, getting them the VC and resources to get them up and going and bringing them up to a level where they can get those resources and VC without being laughed out of the room when they ask.

Prefer to meet in person. I feel my idea may need more than one developer
    I don't think you understood what I wrote. Put it this way; imagine you're a developer, you get requests from people with ideas all the time, most of which are a complete waste of time. Why would you waste your time to meet someone in person who has nothing other than an 'idea'? If you're going to invest your time, aren't you going to do so where it's more likely to be worth it?

Because you might get a free lunch? Trust me, if the price of a free lunch is worth the time you spend at lunch, then you're not worth talking to.

I assure you, unless you're about to come out with the next Facebook, your idea isn't that special. Almost all ideas nowadays are simply re-workings of and new spins on old ones; like LinkedIn for circus performers or Google for academics or whatever. As someone who's been in both the Web and mobile industry a very long time, I can assure you the idea is a lot less important than the execution of that idea - indeed, if you look at Google, Facebook or any of the other big successes, none of them are actually original.

So again, I strongly recommend that you first do your research, including market research (and I don't mean asking a few of your mates what they think). Draw up a preliminary functionality spec, a business plan and most importantly how your idea will make money, because that's what it's about at the end of the day. Have customers commit to you and have a clear picture of what you're willing and able to offer a developer to woo them into your venture.

Then you'll be in a much better position, not only to get interest, but interest from those with experience and skills and not just a few students who will act as cheap and unreliable labour.

Best of luck.

I am in the process of doing all that. I just wanted to guage how easy it is to attract a developer. I am drawing up a specification and business plan at the moment. I will be back (Arnie Style)

I don't think you understood what I wrote. Put it this way; imagine you're a developer, you get requests from people with ideas all the time, most of which are a complete waste of time. Why would you waste your time to meet someone in person who has nothing other than an 'idea'? If you're going to invest your time, aren't you going to do so where it's more likely to be worth it?

Because you might get a free lunch? Trust me, if the price of a free lunch is worth the time you spend at lunch, then you're not worth talking to.

I assure you, unless you're about to come out with the next Facebook, your idea isn't that special. Almost all ideas nowadays are simply re-workings of and new spins on old ones; like LinkedIn for circus performers or Google for academics or whatever. As someone who's been in both the Web and mobile industry a very long time, I can assure you the idea is a lot less important than the execution of that idea - indeed, if you look at Google, Facebook or any of the other big successes, none of them are actually original.

So again, I strongly recommend that you first do your research, including market research (and I don't mean asking a few of your mates what they think). Draw up a preliminary functionality spec, a business plan and most importantly how your idea will make money, because that's what it's about at the end of the day. Have customers commit to you and have a clear picture of what you're willing and able to offer a developer to woo them into your venture.

Then you'll be in a much better position, not only to get interest, but interest from those with experience and skills and not just a few students who will act as cheap and unreliable labour.

Best of luck.

Finding a developer isn't difficult, finding the right developer will be a harder task, finding the right developer that's prepared to work for 'no money down and a promise' will probably turn out to be a tougher task than learning to code and writing it yourself.

That's just the start. I'm assuming that as you mentioned the telecoms sector that you're not talking about a standalone app so you're probably not going to need just a mobile developer.

You'll probably start by turning your functional spec into some kind of technical spec.
    Back-end, physical servers, virtual servers or cloud, what platform?
    What about databases, Mongo, MySQL, SQL, Postgres?
    Will you want the backend written in Node.js, Rails, Java, php, .Net?
    Dev, staging, live environments and you can multiply the above requirements.
    Who's going to manage and maintain all of the above once it has been commissioned?
    Will you need in-app purchases/in-app notifications. Home-grown or will you pay for a 3rd party service to do that for you?
    Will you need to interface with 3rd parties? If so how, JSON, XML something else?
    Will 3rd parties need to interface with you? Will you have to have an API?
    Will the app need any kind of web presence, web control-panel etc etc.
    Will the web presence need to facilitate credit card payments? Which payment gateway, what about a merchant account?
    What mobile platforms will you support? iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry? Native apps, cross-platform apps, web apps?
    Any specific security standards/requirements you'll have to adhere to?

Who's going to decide on all of the above on your behalf? Who's going to project manage all of that, waterfall or agile? Who'll negotiate with vendors?

Then:

How are you going to sell your App?
    What kind of support will you need to put into place?

The cherry on top will be learning how to run a business, manage people, finances etc etc etc.

Even if a lot of the above doesn't apply to your idea, it might give you an idea why some of the responses come across as a little cynical. It might also highlight a few areas you should add to your plan.
    *Disclaimer, the above is not an exhaustive list. There's a rake of stuff that should be included that isn't.

Graham wrote: »
    that's prepared to work for 'no money down and a promise' will probably turn out to be a tougher task than learning to code and writing it yourself.

That sentence should be stickied.

Then:

How are you going to sell your App?
    What kind of support will you need to put into place?

The cherry on top will be learning how to run a business, manage people, finances etc etc etc.
    Oh, the stuff that follows your then statement is a lot more important than the techie stuff. Most IT start-ups don't fail on the basis of poor technology, but poor business. Even the most basic things, are ignored; how many threads have we seen where once we get an idea of what the 'idea' is it turns out that it's been done, and then the 'ideas' poster quietly stops posting?

Here's a few myths that would-be IT entrepreneurs would do well to dispel from their minds:

If you build it, they will come.

Wrong. The Internet is full of applications, solutions, sites and all sorts of wonderful gizmos that were built and are virtual ghost towns.

The 'idea' is the most valuable thing in the enterprise.

Wrong. As I already said, there's actually very few new 'ideas' and most are just new angles on old ones. And if they failed first time round, then fixing the flaw that caused them to fail is a lot more valuable, and even then no guarantee the new spin won't fail too.

At the end of the day, there's no such thing as a successful idea. Only a successful business.

The ideas guy is the business man and just needs a techie to bring it to fruition.

Wrong. Most ideas guys are clueless about business, but because they have to assign themselves a role (having an idea is not a 'role'), they go for the one they reckon they can learn along the way.

Well thanks for all that. I am aware of diff languages, third party vendors etc. Nothing negative in there. Just reality! Like I said. Everything starts with an idea!

Oh, the stuff that follows your then statement is a lot more important than the techie stuff. Most IT start-ups don't fail on the basis of poor technology, but poor business. Even the most basic things, are ignored; how many threads have we seen where once we get an idea of what the 'idea' is it turns out that it's been done, and then the 'ideas' poster quietly stops posting?

Here's a few myths that would-be IT entrepreneurs would do well to dispel from their minds:

If you build it, they will come.

Wrong. The Internet is full of applications, solutions, sites and all sorts of wonderful gizmos that were built and are virtual ghost towns.

The 'idea' is the most valuable thing in the enterprise.

Wrong. As I already said, there's actually very few new 'ideas' and most are just new angles on old ones. And if they failed first time round, then fixing the flaw that caused them to fail is a lot more valuable, and even then no guarantee the new spin won't fail too.

At the end of the day, there's no such thing as a successful idea. Only a successful business.

The ideas guy is the business man and just needs a techie to bring it to fruition.

Wrong. Most ideas guys are clueless about business, but because they have to assign themselves a role (having an idea is not a 'role'), they go for the one they reckon they can learn along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Its easy to knock any idea down. Most of the big names out there used stolen ideas and had a bit of luck with timing. If any of them had come on boards talking about their big idea prior to building they would have got laughed off the internet.

If you can get one customer to pay you to build your product/service (while keeping ownership of the product), go for it. Hire the people you need as you need them, and move on from there. If NONE of your contacts will pay you to build the app, it probably isn't a good idea.

Bottom line, don't spend your own money. If one person will pay for the product/service, more will follow. Look to overseas markets. Ireland is small. Build yourself as a brand along the way too, blog about your area of expertise, twitter, guest blog on other blogs, etc etc. Get yourself known as a trusted name in your product area.

Go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There are always more ideas :)

Absolutely, nothing ventured, nothing gained. No disagreement from me whatsoever there.

Nobody has knocked the idea, that would be fairly difficult to be honest given that only the OP knows what the idea is. Most of the posts are just attempting to reset the OP's expectations with regard to finding a developer willing to bring his idea to fruition on the promise of a share of something that will have no value until the developer him(her)self has built it.

To add to Percy212s points,

If you have a sound design for a product based on your specific industry knowledge.
    If you know there is a gap in the market or a particular pain point that your app will address.
    If the benefits of your app will outweigh its costs.
    If you are already considered an authority in your particular area of business.
    If you have the ear of the movers and shakers in your profession.
    If you have guaranteed customers before a line of code is written or even a guaranteed revenue stream.

Then you might begin to have the basis for a viable product or business and you may, just may begin to interest a developer enough to have a conversation with you about developing your app to the minimum viable product stage. Even then, it's far more likely you'll have to put your hand in your pocket before an app comes about.

Let me run two scenarios past you:

Scenario 1
    You borrow say €50,000 against the value of your house to get your app written and launched? It's probably not an appealing thought and it's certainly a risk. You'd probably need to talk it over with your wife/partner so you could decide together if it's worth the risk. We're talking about the roof over your head at the end of the day. If you have a family it's probably even harder to have sufficient faith in your idea and yourself to make that leap even if you still have your day job and a consistent income.
    Summary: the person with the idea finances the project, shoulders 100% of the risk and keeps 100% of the reward.

Scenario 2
    You find a developer who would be willing to write the App for you in return for a share of the future profits. For the purposes of this example, lets say the App is going to take 4 - 6 months to develop. The developer still has to eat for that time, still has to cover a mortgage/rent, still has to pay the bills, run a car, support a family etc but during that 4 - 6 month period the developer has had to forego his entire income of 30k/40k/50k/60k??
    Summary: the developer finances the project, shoulders 100% of the risk and receives what, 20%, 30% , 40% of the reward??

In scenario 2 the developer is essentially expected to provide an interest free, no-repayments, non-recourse loan. I don't know many developers that consider themselves to be finance houses, angel investors, or venture capital funds.

Trying to be more constructive now. OP, I would start and rethink your App along the lines of either:
    • How much is it going to cost me to build and launch a minimum viable app to test the market.
    • What do I need to learn to build and launch a minimum viable app to test the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

What if you approach me with an NDA and I sign it then discover it's similar to an idea I had 3 years ago? What if a week after I sign your NDA I get a real paying customer with a similar idea?

Are you confusing non-disclosure with non-compete? I've yet to see an NDA that incorporates any sort of non-compete clause, where no clear exit strategy/clause was included.

The normal course of action is "sorry, I'm already involved in a similar project, and have to terminate this agreement". Nothing stopping you working with both clients, as long as you're fair and transparent (morally), and strictly abide by any contracts/NDAs (legally). Better still get the two clients to join forces, if they both bring something to the party.

Blanket refusal to not sign NDAs won't get you very far, I'm afraid.

Fully agreed with the rest of your sentiment .. wishy-washy details, generally don't attract developers (or any others) to the table.

• Advertisement

I just wanted to guage how easy it is to attract a developer.

Easy if you set out what sort of developer you're looking for. Easier again, if you can clearly explain to said type of developer why it might be a good idea to meet up for that "free" lunch. Bear in mind that the vast majority of initial contact developers receive is from time wasters (deliberate or unintentional).

I'd suggest making your approach disclose enough details about the app; what's it similar to, who are its competitors, what broad technical features do you want (camera, file sharing, facebook integration, geo location, etc.), and how it will be financed. The wishy-washy "can we meet for a chat about an app idea I have" doesn't cut the mustard for most developers these days.

cgarvey wrote: »

I don't think there was a blanket refusal to sign NDAs but thanks for the tip. I honestly can't remember the last time I was asked to sign an NDA, confidentiality clauses usually form part of an overall contract further down the road.

It's a first date, it's rather poor form to try and have the condoms and exclusivity discussions before the dessert plates have been cleared.

The next step for me is to build the specification which will include all the feature's. Step 2 is my business plan. Step 3 is market research. I will be speaking to Business about the concept etc. Then there is the users of the app. Its all well and good having people willing to pay to build the app, but people need to dowload it and use it! I am halfway through a specification

I don't think there was a blanket refusal to sign NDAs but thanks for the tip. I honestly can't remember the last time I was asked to sign an NDA, confidentiality clauses usually form part of an overall contract further down the road.

It's a first date, it's rather poor form to try and have the condoms and exclusivity discussions before the dessert plates have been cleared.

percy212 wrote: »
    Bottom line, don't spend your own money. If one person will pay for the product/service, more will follow.
    Straight from the Irish business cowboy playbook :rolleyes:

To begin with, it is virtually impossible not to spend your own money. Even if it involves buying lunch for people you meet, hosting for a Web site, travel to and from meetings or whatever, there will be expenses involved, which can quickly add up to hundreds or even thousands of Euro.

For example, say some VC's in London, Frankfurt or Geneva are interested in investing in your venture and want to meet, are you going to refuse to go out to them unless they cover your costs? If so, you're not going to get far.

There are ventures where the principle's outlay can be kept to a minimum, through the clever use of sweat equity and commissions, however there are realistically limits to how you can avoid this. Not all software can be knocked together in three months, ready to go to market, for a start. You won't always be able to convince someone to work in return for only sweat equity (could they even afford to have no income for that long?), and even if you could, it may not be worth your while to do so in the long run as that equity you use to pay for the labour is ultimately your own money too.

If you go into a venture looking not to put your hand in your pocket to any real degree, beyond the very, very early stages, then no one serious will take you seriously - if your confidence in your own venture is so low, then their confidence in your venture will mirror it.
    cgarvey wrote: »
    I agree to a great extent. Some would-be entrepreneurs have NDA's imposed on them - I met with a prospective client down in Milan a few months ago who required I sign an NDA. I had no issue signing it, but he still made it clear that it wasn't his idea, but a requirement of his investors.

Ultimately NDA's are limited though. They just mean you can't use any IP that's discussed. If someone hires you to do exactly the same thing, then that's not covered, as they came up with the same IP independently.

I would refuse an NDA if it runs over three or four pages though (I've seen some serious monsters over the years). Non-compete clauses are also a no-no, despite being pretty unenforceable, as they would be asking you to sign something which is more than an NDA. Non-reciprocal NDA's are also a bad sign, which is why, I'll carry my own NDA into a meeting and ask they sign that too, to protect my own IP (typically processes).

The next step for me is to build the specification which will include all the feature's. Step 2 is my business plan. Step 3 is market research.
    You're doing it backwards. Market research is first as you want to confirm a market exists, before you go further, and that research will feed back into both the functionality of your solution and the business model.

Unless you've formally done business analysis in IT, and have experience in that area, you're not going to be able to do a requirements specification; you're not qualified to do so - simple as.

What you will be able to do is a preliminary functionality specification, with some storyboarding thrown in, which can later be developed into a more formal and complete document, by someone with a BA background.

You're doing it backwards. Market research is first as you want to confirm a market exists, before you go further, and that research will feed back into both the functionality of your solution and the business model.

Unless you've formally done business analysis in IT, and have experience in that area, you're not going to be able to do a requirements specification; you're not qualified to do so - simple as.

What you will be able to do is a preliminary functionality specification, with some storyboarding thrown in, which can later be developed into a more formal and complete document, by someone with a BA background.

+1 on all of this. Validate your concept as early as possible.

These are all great pieces of Feedback. However when barriers are placed in front of me I usually smash through them, jump over them.

+1 on all of this. Validate your concept as early as possible.

However when barriers are placed in front of me I usually smash through them, jump over them.
    Personally I prefer to check if there's oncoming traffic before crossing a busy street.

Personally I prefer to check if there's oncoming traffic before crossing a busy street.

Its too late this thread became a car crash on page 1, right on schedule. We should have something like a rogue's gallery stickied.

• Advertisement

Dad11, The Corinthian's posts are the best free advice you'll get this year!

You're no where near the stage where you should be looking for a developer. Some technical advisor role, maybe.

Advertisement