Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver vs Ireland - Pros and cons ***MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST!!!***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Jamsiek wrote: »
    No, not joking. I suppose I have different taste in beers.

Really? Sorry don't agree

Sure fair enough!

There's never a proper head on the pints, I get over it like but I'd prefer it.
    ciaran67 wrote: »
    You must have a liver like Georgie Best if you've covered all the pubs in those cities.

Real ale doesnt mean 'dark'.

Never said I was in all the pubs, but I've been to quite a few.

I never said that, I said that I don't like dark ale. You're twisting my words! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I think the standard and range of beers here is fantastic. I love the craft beers here.

I think Ireland has a poor range of beers in comparison and mostly foreign.
    Next time I go home I'll just drink Guinness, good home grown stuff.

Yep, I agree. And the Canadian beers don't give me rotten hangovers like I get from Heineken, Miller, Coors etc. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

el diablo wrote: »
    Yep, I agree. And the Canadian beers don't give me rotten hangovers like I get from Heineken, Miller, Coors etc. :cool:

Man i get such bad hangovers here from draught. Always did, dont know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bhob

You're forgetting some big con's:

Food - chicken in safeway when not on special is roughly $22 for 5 chicken fillets

Work - they begin work at 8.30am, finish at 5pm and you get less breaks (well i do in my job) also getting work is extremely hard. Took me over a month to even get an interview in a place (after applying for roughly 100 jobs across all different sectors) and i've a friend here from New Zealand who can't get a job anywhere and that's going on 2 months now. 10 holiday days a year with 2 already accounted for, again that might just be my job, but 8 hoilday days a year is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

And lads..lets not get started on the price of cheese...SWEET MERFICUL JESUS.

• Advertisement

bhob wrote: »

Food - chicken in safeway when not on special is roughly $22 for 5 chicken fillets

Work - they begin work at 8.30am, finish at 5pm and you get less breaks (well i do in my job) also getting work is extremely hard. Took me over a month to even get an interview in a place (after applying for roughly 100 jobs across all different sectors) and i've a friend here from New Zealand who can't get a job anywhere and that's going on 2 months now. 10 holiday days a year with 2 already accounted for, again that might just be my job, but 8 hoilday days a year is brutal.

Buy your meat from ethnic places. Persians and Chinese sell meat much cheaper and its much better and fresher.

Pro... Wild Sockeye Salmon - heaven.

Coho coming in now, double cheap. Pink Salmon is only 7 bucks for very large full fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cons :
    - Chinese food is nothing like back home. But then again I'm a picky eater.
    - The people can be a little condescending about your tastes in food here. E.G. if I don't want lettuce or something they question it and look at me like I have 2 heads.
    - My accent. Oh god this drives me nuts. I have a very strong Limerick accent but I've really calmed it down. Talking more slowly and clearly, but a lot of people still have trouble with it. Either they genuinely can't understand it or they are just being ignorant!
    - Obviously missing friends and family but that's a given.
    - Sense of humour. Canadians do have a sense of humour but it's very different. There's no slagging or banter which drives me nuts.
    - Tipping and not including tax in the price, but that just their culture!
    - Pints aren't as nice but sure outside Ireland in general is like that.
    - I find that people can have very odd personalities, but it's probably just a culture clash.
    - Rugby, soccer and GAA is on too early haha
    - Getting set up initially with jobs and accommodation is a pain in the hole. Same anywhere really though.
    - Lot of homeless people here.
    - The flight over is too long. Dunno how people deal with flights to OZ/NZ!
    - The time difference is 8 hours, so I can only call home at weekends.
    - Only played touch rugby, but so far it's an awful standard! But hey, I'm making friends and keeping fit in the process!

Some of these reasons are hilarious!!!

The Chinese food here is amazing, its the closet thing to the food I got in China, Chinese food at home is absolute garbage. The accent can be a hindrance but its up to you to sort that I'm afraid, you are a stranger in their town.

The flight over is too long? The time difference? Sports on too early? Maybe we can see if they can move Vancouver for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jiminho

Gintonious wrote: »

The Chinese food here is amazing, its the closet thing to the food I got in China, Chinese food at home is absolute garbage. The accent can be a hindrance but its up to you to sort that I'm afraid, you are a stranger in their town.

The flight over is too long? The time difference? Sports on too early? Maybe we can see if they can move Vancouver for you.

You must of found the only decent Chinky in Canada then because Chinese food as a whole over here is disgusting. Full of sugar (like a lot of things over here) and the chicken balls over here have more batter then chicken. Can you please tell me this place that you have found?

jiminho wrote: »
    You must of found the only decent Chinky in Canada then because Chinese food as a whole over here is disgusting. Full of sugar (like a lot of things over here) and the chicken balls over here have more batter then chicken. Can you please tell me this place that you have found?

Were you pissed off there was no curry chips with the poor chicken's balls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

That's interesting, I think you are probably the first Irish person I know who has claimed that Chinese food is disgusting here. Chinese food here is proper Chinese food, which I love personally! there are so many different spices, the huge variety of fish and wonderul vegetables we just don't get at home. If you love the curry chips, chicken ball, 3 in 1's type of food then proper Chinese is probably going to be a disappointment. I have to say the Asian food over here is absolutely amazing and any foodie will love it here (it's proper Asian food due to the fact that Canada has a huge Asian population, they don't need to starch it up and remove traditional elements to suit the Irish palate)

Regarding Pints, not sure if I can take you serious now! In Ireland every pub will have the same horrible tap water - Bud, heino, Carlsberg etc on tap! here it's crazy the number of beers they have from all over the World. I have tried so many new beers it's crazy and still every bar I go to I will find a new beer from some small local brewery that will knock the socks off the dish water that is Bud & Carlsberg. Hell even the Cider here is better (sorry Magners)

• Advertisement

Phonehead wrote: »
    That's interesting, I think you are probably the first Irish person I know who has claimed that Chinese food is disgusting here. Chinese food here is proper Chinese food, which I love personally! there are so many different spices, the huge variety of fish and wonderul vegetables we just don't get at home. If you love the curry chips, chicken ball, 3 in 1's type of food then proper Chinese is probably going to be a disappointment. I have to say the Asian food over here is absolutely amazing and any foodie will love it here (it's proper Asian food due to the fact that Canada has a huge Asian population, they don't need to starch it up and remove traditional elements to suit the Irish palate)

Regarding Pints, not sure if I can take you serious now! In Ireland every pub will have the same horrible tap water - Bud, heino, Carlsberg etc on tap! here it's crazy the number of beers they have from all over the World. I have tried so many new beers it's crazy and still every bar I go to I will find a new beer from some small local brewery that will knock the socks off the dish water that is Bud & Carlsberg. Hell even the Cider here is better (sorry Magners)

You can take the boy out of Finglas...

bhob wrote: »

I get 10 days a year, but at least there is a bank holiday nearly every month! I get about 10 days off for xmas too so it's not too bad I guess.
    Yeah my friends who aren't qualified were having some trouble in finding work. I got a decent job after 5/6 weeks in software.
    Shlippery wrote: »
    And lads..lets not get started on the price of cheese...SWEET MERFICUL JESUS.

+1. It's a bit ridiculous to be fair! Could do with a deli counter in the convenience stores!

I have to disagree with you there. It's personal preference and 99% of the Irish people I have spoken to dislike the traditional Chinese food. I work with a lot of Asian people so I've tried it a few times in different places and I just don't like it. Mexican good here is unreal though.

I've sorted my accent out so most people understand, but there are still a lot of people who haven't a clue what I'm saying without me impersonating a north american accent which is irritating.

Well no need for that, but obviously it is a con if I am into sport and can't watch them live at a reasonable time! These are reasonable cons to mention. Is Australia being a day or so travelling from Ireland not a con? Come on now, don't get narky because you disagree with me.

Connie's cook house on 4th in Kits! It's savage! Very like back home. Killed a craving it did! :D:D:D

Conversely, every Irish person I've spoken to doesn't like the Chinese food here! They like sushi and other asian food, but not chinese food. (Just for the record I don't like Sushi, and yes I have tried it).

Yeah, the foodie culture here can be very irritating at times. What I eat seems to bother everyone over here, I wish they'd f*ck off and mind their own business!

If you think that beer is better over here on tap then you actually must be tapped in the head! It's cat! Cider isn't better here, lets not get silly now. Heineken on tap in Limerick anyway is savage. They don't have Paulaner on tap over here and they can't pull a pint to save their lives, although the Marquis on Granville do a nice pint of Grolsch. They do have a very wide range of beers and I try new beers when possible, but you never get a head on the pint and it's like it's scooped out of a bathtub!

Kev_2012 wrote: »

If you think that beer is better over here on tap then you actually must be tapped in the head! It's cat! Cider isn't better here, lets not get silly now. Heineken on tap in Limerick anyway is savage. They don't have Paulaner on tap over here and they can't pull a pint to save their lives, although the Marquis on Granville do a nice pint of Grolsch. They do have a very wide range of beers and I try new beers when possible, but you never get a head on the pint and it's like it's scooped out of a bathtub!

Have to agree with that statement. It's not the case everywhere but 9 times out of 10 and no, Irish pubs do not count. It's funny because I've asked a few times (when i've got a very poorly poured pint), why there is such a big space at the top of pint for them only to reply "it's meant for the head".......but where's the head?? Customer service over here is a bit iffy as well sometimes but I guess the same could be said for home...sometimes. :o

Have to agree with that statement. It's not the case everywhere but 9 times out of 10 and no, Irish pubs do not count. It's funny because I've asked a few times (when i've got a very poorly poured pint), why there is such a big space at the top of pint for them only to reply "it's meant for the head".......but where's the head?? Customer service over here is a bit iffy as well sometimes but I guess the same could be said for home...sometimes. :o

Beer tastes good, just gives me the worst hangovers.

I wish they'd f*ck off and mind their own business!

Kev... if would like this, I suggest you not start a thread on a messageboard about pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

That's interesting, I think you are probably the first Irish person I know who has claimed that Chinese food is disgusting here. Chinese food here is proper Chinese food, which I love personally! there are so many different spices, the huge variety of fish and wonderul vegetables we just don't get at home. If you love the curry chips, chicken ball, 3 in 1's type of food then proper Chinese is probably going to be a disappointment. I have to say the Asian food over here is absolutely amazing and any foodie will love it here

Agreed, great varieties of food here, sushi would be my personal favourite, Korean barbeques and Mongolian food is great too. It's made me appreciate different food more.

Agreed here too, no way will I be going back to imported fizzy water when I go home for Christmas, Guinness is what I'll be drinking.
    We're spoiled for choice here and I find it's not just Vancouver. Seattle and Portland are great too, must be a west coast thing here.
    I can't comment on the cider here because I don't drink it but I'm curious now.

Agreed, great varieties of food here, sushi would be my personal favourite, Korean barbeques and Mongolian food is great too. It's made me appreciate different food more.

Agreed here too, no way will I be going back to imported fizzy water when I go home for Christmas, Guinness is what I'll be drinking.
    We're spoiled for choice here and I find it's not just Vancouver. Seattle and Portland are great too, must be a west coast thing here.
    I can't comment on the cider here because I don't drink it but I'm curious now.

Chuckanut Brewery in Bellingham is excellent. The Dunkel Lager and British IPA are superb.

Seattle and Portland kick the r's off Vancouver for nightlife and food. Never had a bad weekend in Seattle and some monumental pub crawls.

I have to disagree with you there. It's personal preference and 99% of the Irish people I have spoken to dislike the traditional Chinese food. I work with a lot of Asian people so I've tried it a few times in different places and I just don't like it. Mexican good here is unreal though.

I've sorted my accent out so most people understand, but there are still a lot of people who haven't a clue what I'm saying without me impersonating a north american accent which is irritating.

Well no need for that, but obviously it is a con if I am into sport and can't watch them live at a reasonable time! These are reasonable cons to mention. Is Australia being a day or so travelling from Ireland not a con? Come on now, don't get narky because you disagree with me.

Well who's opinion would you take in relation to the food? Irish people who get Chinese take-aways, half pissed and is in NO WAY Chinese food, or maybe the people down in CHINATOWN here in Vancouver. Disagree all you want, but you are plain wrong when saying the Chinese food here is a con, when in fact is the a huge pro.

You will never get people fully understanding you here, that is just the way it is. There is no need to impersonate anyone, just rephrase what you are saying, thats all you need to do.

Your cons for the timezones and sport are not reasonable, and I am not getting "narky" with you because I disagree with you. You can't expect to move away and for things, such as watching live sport, to be the same. Hockey, American football, NASCAR and boxing are all live here, plenty of choice. I got up at 5am to watch the F1 on Sunday, did I care? No, because I wanted to watch it.

Australia being a day or so worth of travel is not a con, its just a fact I'm afraid.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Chuckanut Brewery in Bellingham is excellent. The Dunkel Lager and British IPA are superb.

Seattle and Portland kick the r's off Vancouver for nightlife and food. Never had a bad weekend in Seattle and some monumental pub crawls.

I don't know Bellingham except for passing through, I must stop by next time.

The beer selection is something else. Currently 33 Acres is my weapon of choice.

• Advertisement

The beer selection is something else. Currently 33 Acres is my weapon of choice.

I like the Bluebuck, Victoria's finest :-)

Well who's opinion would you take in relation to the food? Irish people who get Chinese take-aways, half pissed and is in NO WAY Chinese food, or maybe the people down in CHINATOWN here in Vancouver. Disagree all you want, but you are plain wrong when saying the Chinese food here is a con, when in fact is the a huge pro.

You will never get people fully understanding you here, that is just the way it is. There is no need to impersonate anyone, just rephrase what you are saying, thats all you need to do.

Your cons for the timezones and sport are not reasonable, and I am not getting "narky" with you because I disagree with you. You can't expect to move away and for things, such as watching live sport, to be the same. Hockey, American football, NASCAR and boxing are all live here, plenty of choice. I got up at 5am to watch the F1 on Sunday, did I care? No, because I wanted to watch it.

Australia being a day or so worth of travel is not a con, its just a fact I'm afraid.

It's MY list of pros and cons, and for me, the chinese food is a con, simply because I don't like it. Are you trying to tell me what I should like? :rolleyes: To be honest I find the mexican food over here to be the best of all the ethnic foods I've had here. But again, that's my opinion.

I understand that not everyone will understand my accent, but there are several cases I've been involved in where even though I am speaking far slower and clearer, and most people understand, that some west coasters just either don't want to try and listen or just don't care! Out of everywhere I've ever been, this is the most frustrating place I've seen for trouble with my accent. They don't understand when I say the number 40! What the hell like?! And accents, slang and where their origins from are actually a hobby of mine so I understand the Hiberno-english phrases we use and what constitutes as correct pronunciation and meaning so I have a fair idea of what I'm on about.

As for sport and timezone, of course they are legitimate cons for me! They might not bother you but they bother me. You could simply look at my list and say "Oh that one doesn't bother me" and move on but you seem adamant to point out that I'm wrong, when it's in fact an opinion. Pros and cons are opinions. If you were looking at a place to move abroad and only spoke English, I'm sure that Spain only speaking Spanish might be a con for you, but not necessarily a con for a bi lingual person. Get a grip pal.

It's MY list of pros and cons, and for me, the chinese food is a con, simply because I don't like it. Are you trying to tell me what I should like? :rolleyes: To be honest I find the mexican food over here to be the best of all the ethnic foods I've had here. But again, that's my opinion.

I understand that not everyone will understand my accent, but there are several cases I've been involved in where even though I am speaking far slower and clearer, and most people understand, that some west coasters just either don't want to try and listen or just don't care! Out of everywhere I've ever been, this is the most frustrating place I've seen for trouble with my accent. They don't understand when I say the number 40! What the hell like?! And accents, slang and where their origins from are actually a hobby of mine so I understand the Hiberno-english phrases we use and what constitutes as correct pronunciation and meaning so I have a fair idea of what I'm on about.

As for sport and timezone, of course they are legitimate cons for me! They might not bother you but they bother me. You could simply look at my list and say "Oh that one doesn't bother me" and move on but you seem adamant to point out that I'm wrong, when it's in fact an opinion. Pros and cons are opinions. If you were looking at a place to move abroad and only spoke English, I'm sure that Spain only speaking Spanish might be a con for you, but not necessarily a con for a bi lingual person. Get a grip pal.

My response to your issue with Chinese food being a con is that you clearly don't know or appreciate authentic Chinese food, so the con in question is the stuff you were eating in Ireland, because it is in no way near as good or near to the real thing. It is far from a con, how is having access to authentic food a con? I'm not saying that you should like it, but calling it a con is a joke.

Not everyone will understand your accent, so getting pissed off at the odd person isn't productive. I'm from Dublin and I find it hard to understand a Limerick accent, so I can side with the locals on this.

You are more than entitled to your opinions, I am merely point out the flaws with them and your argument. Just because you say it is your opinion doesn't mean people won't disagree with you, the main gripe you seem to have is that Vancouver is not the same as Ireland, and that instantly makes it a con for you, did you expect to come here and carry on as normal? The whole point of emigrating is to experience new cultures and ways of life, so if you want to watch your sports then just accept that you will have to get up at the crack of dawn to watch. Rather than complaining about it or branding it as a con, just get on with it and "get a grip pal".

My response to your issue with Chinese food being a con is that you clearly don't know or appreciate authentic Chinese food, so the con in question is the stuff you were eating in Ireland, because it is in no way near as good or near to the real thing. It is far from a con, how is having access to authentic food a con? I'm not saying that you should like it, but calling it a con is a joke.

Not everyone will understand your accent, so getting pissed off at the odd person isn't productive. I'm from Dublin and I find it hard to understand a Limerick accent, so I can side with the locals on this.

You are more than entitled to your opinions, I am merely point out the flaws with them and your argument. Just because you say it is your opinion doesn't mean people won't disagree with you, the main gripe you seem to have is that Vancouver is not the same as Ireland, and that instantly makes it a con for you, did you expect to come here and carry on as normal? The whole point of emigrating is to experience new cultures and ways of life, so if you want to watch your sports then just accept that you will have to get up at the crack of dawn to watch. Rather than complaining about it or branding it as a con, just get on with it and "get a grip pal".

I agree with you Kev. "In my opinion" I'm not partial to the Chinese food here either. Gintonious is obviously having a bad day and doesn't understand the concept of opinions and that everyone is entitled to one. Now "Get off your pedestal" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I miss Sushi, back in Ireland 5 months now as I was off in Cypress the weekend all the visas sold out.

Take-away food here sucks ass big time. Although I did have a big smile the first chipper chip I had, now it's disgusting.

I agree with you Kev. "In my opinion" I'm not partial to the Chinese food here either. Gintonious is obviously having a bad day and doesn't understand the concept of opinions and that everyone is entitled to one. Now "Get off your pedestal" lol

I am well aware of the concept of opinions, hence me giving mine. Just because someone uses the phrase "In my opinion" does not mean it is acceptable.

You said previously in this thread that Chinese food is disgusting here in Vancouver. Opinion or not, thats bull****.

Maybe broaden your horizons a bit rather than looking for stuff that is the same as Ireland? It could do you some good...in my opinion.

RasTa wrote: »
    I miss Sushi, back in Ireland 5 months now as I was off in Cypress the weekend all the visas sold out.

Take-away food here sucks ass big time. Although I did have a big smile the first chipper chip I had, now it's disgusting.

Sushi here is unbelievable, I had some of the best sushi of my life in Squamish, sockeye salmon, christ on a bike.

I am well aware of the concept of opinions, hence me giving mine. Just because someone uses the phrase "In my opinion" does not mean it is acceptable.

You said previously in this thread that Chinese food is disgusting here in Vancouver. Opinion or not, thats bull****.

Maybe broaden your horizons a bit rather than looking for stuff that is the same as Ireland? It could do you some good...in my opinion.

Are you confused as to what a con is in this context? A bad thing for me, as a direct result of living here instead of Ireland is that I can't get the chinese food that I could get in Ireland. Can you not compute that or are you looking to be a keyboard warrior?!

This opinion may not be acceptable to you, and in my opinion it IS disgusting, apart from Connies cookhouse on 4th in Kits, because they do my view of Chinese food that I grew up with in Ireland. EVERY irish person I've spoken to in person agrees. Cop on to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod:
    Ok folks lets wrap up the attacks on one another.
    This thread is about personal opinions on Pros and Cons, lets bring it back to that yes?
    Please and thank you.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree with you there. It's personal preference and 99% of the Irish people I have spoken to dislike the traditional Chinese food. I work with a lot of Asian people so I've tried it a few times in different places and I just don't like it.

Connie's cook house on 4th in Kits! It's savage! Very like back home. Killed a craving it did! :D:D:D

Conversely, every Irish person I've spoken to doesn't like the Chinese food here! They like sushi and other asian food, but not chinese food.

I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about the food here to be honest and I've been here a year and a half. Everyone I know seem to love it.

I haven't tried Connie's cook house. I'm curious now. Next time I'm in Kits I'll drop by.

Advertisement