Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vancouver vs Ireland - Pros and cons ***MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST!!!***

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Are you confused as to what a con is in this context? A bad thing for me, as a direct result of living here instead of Ireland is that I can't get the chinese food that I could get in Ireland. Can you not compute that or are you looking to be a keyboard warrior?!

This opinion may not be acceptable to you, and in my opinion it IS disgusting, apart from Connies cookhouse on 4th in Kits, because they do my view of Chinese food that I grew up with in Ireland. EVERY irish person I've spoken to in person agrees. Cop on to yourself

Every Irish person, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

jiminho wrote: »
    You must of found the only decent Chinky in Canada then because Chinese food as a whole over here is disgusting. Full of sugar (like a lot of things over here) and the chicken balls over here have more batter then chicken. Can you please tell me this place that you have found?

Chicken balls and chips are not Chinese food. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

I think a lot of people here are making a big fuss about some of the things in Vancouver. Most of the people I knew loved the food there. Mexican, Thai, and Mongolian got praised a lot. But there's a massive Asian population so I'd expect some good Asian cuisine. I find it hard to accept that Chinese food here can ever be better than there considering how close China is and how many Chinese live there, but that's just me.

In terms of beer. Imo Heineken is disgusting so no comment there. The nicest I found was 1516 lager. Give it a try see what you think. About guinness. It's always going to taste different overseas. I think the hop comes from Dublin but the beer is brewed somewhere in Canada. 1 thing about bartenders over there is many of them are clueless as to how to pour a pint. The amount of places I literally said "Look, this is how it's done" and just walked behind the bar and showed them. "Whaaat for realllll"? Yes. For real, you douche.

The people are among the friendliest I've ever met. There's no way I'd accept someone telling me that they are not genuine. They are very open and giving, very friendly and always help. Everyones experience is different, but I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about the locals.

For sport you're just going to have to deal with the fact that you can't have what you want. You'll just have to replace it. I love hockey and got really into it. Going to hockey games are great it's such a different stadium and really cool experience. However they still have soccer leagues over there among other sports like field hockey etc.

Can't stress the importance of the SIN number and BCID. Make them your #1 priority before you do anything.

Banks I found to be fine, can't remember who I was with but they have a branch in Whistler, Scotia maybe.

Phone companies I found to be terrible. Everyone I knew seemed to agree with me on that including the locals. I didn't find anyone near as good as meteor.

Yes dairy products are fierce expensive but what can you do, just shop around you'll eventually find decent prices.

The city itself is fantastic, far better imo than Dublin. Unless you just love your pints, Vancouver has so much more to offer. Everybody stays fit and healthy. The people are very good looking. They love their sports, love their winter and summers. 3 local mountains for hiking biking etc in the summer and skiing snowboarding snowmobiling in the winter etc. 3 or 4 beaches around the place. A great waterfront walkway/bikeway all the way around the city. Very clean city. Only thing is East Hastings which has a big homeless problem but they don't bother anyone. There's the Okanagan valley and a few others a couple hours outside the city where you can camp/fish/watersports. Also local wineries around there and plenty of beer tasting. There's a ton of stuff to do there, absolutely tons. Then cheap flights to America and Asia.

All in all I forget who said Ireland and Vancouver weigh up the same, fair enough. But there's no way I'd say they do. Imo Vancouver is 10 times the place Dublin could ever hope to be. But again I love the place so why wouldn't I say that :)

There's a thread here I made a post in when I got back from there. It will definitely help any newbies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69467454

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Lenmeister wrote: »
    I think a lot of people here are making a big fuss about some of the things in Vancouver. Most of the people I knew loved the food there. Mexican, Thai, and Mongolian got praised a lot. But there's a massive Asian population so I'd expect some good Asian cuisine. I find it hard to accept that Chinese food here can ever be better than there considering how close China is and how many Chinese live there, but that's just me.

In terms of beer. Imo Heineken is disgusting so no comment there. The nicest I found was 1516 lager. Give it a try see what you think. About guinness. It's always going to taste different overseas. I think the hop comes from Dublin but the beer is brewed somewhere in Canada. 1 thing about bartenders over there is many of them are clueless as to how to pour a pint. The amount of places I literally said "Look, this is how it's done" and just walked behind the bar and showed them. "Whaaat for realllll"? Yes. For real, you douche.

The people are among the friendliest I've ever met. There's no way I'd accept someone telling me that they are not genuine. They are very open and giving, very friendly and always help. Everyones experience is different, but I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about the locals.

For sport you're just going to have to deal with the fact that you can't have what you want. You'll just have to replace it. I love hockey and got really into it. Going to hockey games are great it's such a different stadium and really cool experience. However they still have soccer leagues over there among other sports like field hockey etc.

Can't stress the importance of the SIN number and BCID. Make them your #1 priority before you do anything.

Banks I found to be fine, can't remember who I was with but they have a branch in Whistler, Scotia maybe.

Phone companies I found to be terrible. Everyone I knew seemed to agree with me on that including the locals. I didn't find anyone near as good as meteor.

Yes dairy products are fierce expensive but what can you do, just shop around you'll eventually find decent prices.

The city itself is fantastic, far better imo than Dublin. Unless you just love your pints, Vancouver has so much more to offer. Everybody stays fit and healthy. The people are very good looking. They love their sports, love their winter and summers. 3 local mountains for hiking biking etc in the summer and skiing snowboarding snowmobiling in the winter etc. 3 or 4 beaches around the place. A great waterfront walkway/bikeway all the way around the city. Very clean city. Only thing is East Hastings which has a big homeless problem but they don't bother anyone. There's the Okanagan valley and a few others a couple hours outside the city where you can camp/fish/watersports. Also local wineries around there and plenty of beer tasting. There's a ton of stuff to do there, absolutely tons. Then cheap flights to America and Asia.

All in all I forget who said Ireland and Vancouver weigh up the same, fair enough. But there's no way I'd say they do. Imo Vancouver is 10 times the place Dublin could ever hope to be. But again I love the place so why wouldn't I say that :)

There's a thread here I made a post in when I got back from there. It will definitely help any newbies.

Everything you said here I agree with, it's a special place. Are you in Ireland now? How do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Gintonious you are doing a pretty solid impression of the pretentious traveller.

Maybe take a step back a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about the food here to be honest and I've been here a year and a half. Everyone I know seem to love it.

I haven't tried Connie's cook house. I'm curious now. Next time I'm in Kits I'll drop by.

Well it's literally only the Chinese food because its different to what we have back home. The other foods available are generally pretty good, still can't get why sushi is so loved though! I have tried sushi in The Eatery in kits, But then again I don't like seafood.

As for Connie's, get the House Special Curry Chicken and fried rice, it's savage! You get enough for 2 massive meals too. Killed a craving! :D
    Gintonious wrote: »

Yes. Everyone I spoke to or know personally. I say everyone I spoke to, not every Irish person in Vancouver. Jesus like! Twisting my words again!
    el diablo wrote: »

In most Chinese restaurants in Ireland you can get chicken balls. What the hell do you want him to call it?
    Gintonious you are doing a pretty solid impression of the pretentious traveller.

Thank you! :) Finally someone can see it! It's as though you aren't allowed to dislike things that you discovered while being abroad!

Another thing to the list, I play rugby and you not only have to pay club dues, but you also have to pay BC Rugby nearly $100 to register! Insane!

Really? I am trying to make points to the stereotypical Irish man complaining about silly things in a great city!

What's pretentious about that?

Nail on the head.

still can't get why sushi is so loved though! I have tried sushi in The Eatery in kits, But then again I don't like seafood.

Sushi herr doesn't have to be seafood, lots of places have chicken and pork and vegetarian stuff like yam tempura. I would recommend them, delicious!
    As for Connie's, get the House Special Curry Chicken and fried rice, it's savage! You get enough for 2 massive meals too. Killed a craving!

I never had curry in a Chinese restaurant mainly just Indian or Thai places. I see it has good reviews though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I moved here to Vancouver 2 months ago from Limerick City. Just thought I'd post a list of pros and cons vs living at home. Hopefully this info will be useful for people looking to make the move!

Pros:
    - Lots of good bars!

Cons :
    - Chinese food is nothing like back home. But then again I'm a picky eater.
    - Sense of humour. Canadians do have a sense of humour but it's very different. There's no slagging or banter which drives me nuts.
    - I find that people can have very odd personalities, but it's probably just a culture clash.
    - Rugby, soccer and GAA is on too early haha

The only Pro I'd disagree with is the bars. Nearly all of them are restaurants, have to be shown to your seat, everyone has to have a seat etc. Not all mind you but the vast majority of them. Pain in the hole. It's only a matter of time before a Paddy sets one up... killing to be made here.

I would stick in there amazing sushi places. Can't get enough of it!

As for the cons - it's been already said but I'll say it again - the Chinese food here is authentic and not that MSG crap you get at home. But each to their own.

The Canadians you speak of are mainly Vancouverites. I've found plenty of Canadians from further East that have a similar sense of humour as us. I reckon the further east you go the closer to home it gets... metaphorically and literally.

Rugby & Soccer are an easy fix - if you've a spare bit of cash - works out cheaper than cable though so you'll probably be saving money ifyou were buying it. I've listed a few ways to get your fix here

The Chips. Frys are just not the same. Some times I crave for a bag of Burdocks.

Good post though and pretty much on the ball.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote: »
    The only Pro I'd disagree with is the bars. Nearly all of them are restaurants, have to be shown to your seat, everyone has to have a seat etc. Not all mind you but the vast majority of them. Pain in the hole. It's only a matter of time before a Paddy sets one up... killing to be made here.

I think there are plenty of good bars, it's just that they are outnumbered by restaurants with drink licenses.

I've been told that a lot of these places have restaurant licences and have to abide by these stupid laws.

They are the places I only go for a while before heading elsewhere if I'm out for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Gintonious, you've really turned a light-hearted tongue-in-cheek effort by the OP into a really ****ty thread. That's just a fact.
    In fairness, he qualifies most of his cons, and it hardly comes across as a scathing attack on the city.
    His dislike for the Chinese food here (however authentic it may be), and preference for the Chinese food in Ireland (however inauthentic it may be), is barely a topic for debate, and certainly not a cause to surreptitiously attack the OP for being uncultured.

Stuff like this:
    is really insidious, especially considering he wrote 'every Irish person I've talked to'.

As for this:
    Gintonious wrote:
    Really? I am trying to make points to the stereotypical Irish man complaining about silly things in a great city!

Again, the OP at least implicitly admits that his list of cons are mostly silly things.

What's pretentious is attacking the OP for being a stereotype under the pretense that you are so very cultured and appreciative of your surroundings, and that anyone who doesn't comform to the same bent should be lambasted; a stereotype in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

MOD:

ENOUGH.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Everything you said here I agree with, it's a special place. Are you in Ireland now? How do you like it?
    Yes and I Hate it. I've travelled a fair amount and after seeing so many great cultures and peoples way of life in all these different countries and how great these places are, it really gets me down to be stuck back here. It has nothing to offer a person like me. It really doesn't.

I applied for the International Experience Canada visa and actually got it, but the only reason I'm still here is because I can go to college here for cheap. Would cost a fortune in North America. I want to get a degree first, then get out of here.

Honestly I think I should have said feck this, and just left again when I got that visa, stayed there and studied over there regardless of the cost. I was so happy there, I can't get that back. This place just makes me miserable when I think about Canada. That's how much I loved it and that's my comparison to this place. Pretty sad eh?

sprinkles wrote: »
    The Chips. Frys are just not the same. Some times I crave for a bag of Burdocks.
    Ahh God I hope you all know about Bons off Broadway. I think it's Broadway and Nanaimo. They used to do breakfast frys for $3 and coffee or tea was $1 with free refill. Believe me I got my moneys worth of frys there haha. Only thing I didn't like about it was the rashers, they're super crispy, not my kind of rasher. The owner is sound, very funny guy really laid back always cracking jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I havent noticed this in your posts thats why I said impression but that previous poster explained what I meant very well.

Anyway, Vancouver is awesome and Ill be over sometime early next year so we can discuss it further over some chinese food.

Also, that mod post Panthro was pretty laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Also, that mod post Panthro was pretty laughable.

Mod:
    Really?
    Ignoring a Mod instruction is one thing, taking the Mick is another.
    Take a few day ban, come back when you've learned a bit of cop on.

Now, to the rest of ye, the sniping at each other ends here.
    If I see anyone else in here taking snipes, I'll action against it or I'll shut the thread down altogether, we clear?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Ahh God I hope you all know about Bons off Broadway. I think it's Broadway and Nanaimo. They used to do breakfast frys for $3 and coffee or tea was $1 with free refill. Believe me I got my moneys worth of frys there haha. Only thing I didn't like about it was the rashers, they're super crispy, not my kind of rasher. The owner is sound, very funny guy really laid back always cracking jokes.

Love Bon's. I mean it's not amazing, but the price is unbeatable.
    Agree about the bacon though :( Certainly the Achilles' heel.

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Gintonious, you've really turned a light-hearted tongue-in-cheek effort by the OP into a really ****ty thread. That's just a fact.
    In fairness, he qualifies most of his cons, and it hardly comes across as a scathing attack on the city.
    His dislike for the Chinese food here (however authentic it may be), and preference for the Chinese food in Ireland (however inauthentic it may be), is barely a topic for debate, and certainly not a cause to surreptitiously attack the OP for being uncultured.

Stuff like this:

is really insidious, especially considering he wrote 'every Irish person I've talked to'.

As for this:

Again, the OP at least implicitly admits that his list of cons are mostly silly things.

What's pretentious is attacking the OP for being a stereotype under the pretense that you are so very cultured and appreciative of your surroundings, and that anyone who doesn't comform to the same bent should be lambasted; a stereotype in itself.

We shall agree to disagree, no snid remarks anymore.

I have my own issues with certain things that have been said about Vancouver, not just in this thread, and it has been building up over the last few days, and it came to a head on this, I apologise.

Might as well give my pros and cons to get them hung, drawn and quartered.

Pros:
    - The Mountains in the north, that view alone on a sunny day is worth it alone, and then hiking them to see the view is remarkable.
    - General activities, there is so much to do here, and I am lucky enough to have a good Canadian mate now that loves the outdoors so I have been getting my hikes, fishing and general sightseeing in that way.
    - Food (careful now), the choice is insane. As with everywhere, there is garbage, but I would but the quality far above Ireland when it comes to eating out. Food to buy is fine, love that they have markets here, so getting fruit and veg is really cheap and great, kale all over the place.
    - Public transport, fantastic.
    - Beer in the bars, when I was handed a menu in the Brixton cafe (another good spot) I was in awe at the variety, granted I regretted it the next day.
    - Coffee, EVERYWHERE!!!!
    -Gyms etc, I am a gym junkie and I am in heaven here, also found a nice boxing club that does the job for me as well.

Cons:
    - Tax not being included on the prices, that is very annoying.
    - Not so much a con, but East Hastings is a grim walk, that took a bit of getting used to.
    - Hipsters, a global epidemic by all means, but poor Vancouver was hit hard.

I am sure there are other things that could rank as a con, but I would have to think about them, people will say the weather in winter etc but Ireland isn't exactly tropical. And as a side to that, if its raining in the city, its snowing in the mountains, so up there you go!

Sorry, when I said frys (fries) I was talking about the "chips" not the breakfast fry up. Plenty of great breakfast places - Sunlight Cafe on Commercial is great for a greasy spoon!

Yes and I Hate it. I've travelled a fair amount and after seeing so many great cultures and peoples way of life in all these different countries and how great these places are, it really gets me down to be stuck back here. It has nothing to offer a person like me. It really doesn't.

I applied for the International Experience Canada visa and actually got it, but the only reason I'm still here is because I can go to college here for cheap. Would cost a fortune in North America. I want to get a degree first, then get out of here.

Honestly I think I should have said feck this, and just left again when I got that visa, stayed there and studied over there regardless of the cost. I was so happy there, I can't get that back. This place just makes me miserable when I think about Canada. That's how much I loved it and that's my comparison to this place. Pretty sad eh?

Not sad at all, once you finish college things will change for you no doubt. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    A trio is though! :)

What's everyones favourite part of Canada? Mine was bein there in Whistler all through the Olympics snowboarding everyday and meeting tons of athletes where I worked, pretty much 1 of the most awesome once in a lifetime experiences you can have ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Heading over tonight from Fishguard. I can smell my first Guinness... here kitty kitty

Advertisement