Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Freshers 2013

Options

Comments

Any Drama and Theatre people on here or TSM Drama Studies? Also another breaking bad fan here, just sayin :p

I have 2 friends in that course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Akari wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to register online yet? I thought I'd get an email when registration is open, but I haven't received anything so far.

Nope, I'd say we'll be able to register sometimes this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

MWick94 wrote: »
    Nope, I'd say we'll be able to register sometimes this week!

what does registering online entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DuineGael

So anyone doing a TSM in either Economics or Philosophy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Psych2013

I was told when I was on campus last week that academic registry will be sending out emails "inviting" you to register. The emails will start going out in batches on Monday (until Tuesday.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Commuting really sucks for Freshers week :'( Doubt I'll be able to make it to the nights out because the last bus home is at something early like 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

sganyfx wrote: »
    Commuting really sucks for Freshers week :'( Doubt I'll be able to make it to the nights out because the last bus home is at something early like 11pm.

tis awful, unless i find accommodation soon ill be staying in Skerries, taking a train, and won't make it to any of the nights out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

tis awful, unless i find accommodation soon ill be staying in Skerries, taking a train, and won't make it to any of the nights out

Oh stop ipi feel like I'm missing out already :((

yournerd wrote: »
    Oh stop ipi feel like I'm missing out already :((

tis a disaster, why oh why did halls reject me

tis a disaster, why oh why did halls reject me

I feel like I'm not even in trinity or there's been some mistake, no post, no emails, no halls nothing :((

• Advertisement

I feel like I'm not even in trinity or there's been some mistake, no post, no emails, no halls nothing :((

thats odd ? as we've all found out last few weeks, trinity is a disaster for this stuff

It bloody sucks :(

It bloody sucks :(

Isn't Mcdonalds open 24/7 i think ill live there :/

thank god, accommodation sorted for the year :pac:

But all the junkies at like 4am :'( Maybe I'll just pull a one night stand every night...Might as well use the free condoms from freshers.

But all the junkies at like 4am :'( Maybe I'll just pull a one night stand every night...Might as well use the free condoms from freshers.

Oh yeah another good idea hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Doing this post for the good of all office staff across campus:

Teaching doesn't start until the 23rd. Traditionally (with the old pen and paper system) students would register up until, and after, the first week of teaching. With the new system, continuing students (possibly most, if not all) have registered over the past week, and incoming students will get an email inviting you to register (on a course by course basis, don't freak out if you don't get it when people in other courses do) over the next week or two.

When you register online, you'll fill in a lot of online forms (personal information, home address, term/college address, PPS number, emergency contact details, disability/mental health information etc etc). Prepare yourself in advance, there's about 9 or so forms to fill in online.

You'll also complete the final stages of the financial payment (for student contribution and/or tuition fees). If you have paid in full already, select that you don't want to pay in instalments and just follow instructions (it will keep showing "0.00 remaining balance" until you reach the last page). If you have paid the first instalment, select the relevant option to pay in instalments and follow instructions. If you haven't paid anything yet, you have to at least pay the first instalment before you can fully register (unless you are having grant/financial issues and your financial statement is still showing fees that shouldn't be there, then you may need to call someone in college during the process).

TCD starts a heck of lot later than other colleges. Keep in mind some colleges start lectures *tomorrow*, hence the reason why some students across the country have already registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ameliaaaaa

Hey guys, getting excited :) anyway just a quick question on freshers week, is it worth going out every night? or are some better then others? I'm not the loner who sits in the corner and never goes out - far from it! But I've never gone out 5 nights in a row.. so I just want to know other freshers opinions :) will ye all be going to all events? Really excited for freshers ball and pav party woo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Psych2013

ameliaaaaa wrote: »
    Hey guys, getting excited :) anyway just a quick question on freshers week, is it worth going out every night? or are some better then others? I'm not the loner who sits in the corner and never goes out - far from it! But I've never gone out 5 nights in a row.. so I just want to know other freshers opinions :) will ye all be going to all events? Really excited for freshers ball and pav party woo

I was kind of wondering the same thing... I'm in Halls, too, so it'll be like 8 nights in a row for me.... Which nights do most people go to/ recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

I got so excited for the timetables to be up this morning...and nothing.

• Advertisement

Has anyones timetable been updated on the portal? mine is completely blank :)

I got so excited for the timetables to be up this morning...and nothing.

I could be wrong but maybe they won't be up until we register?

I could be wrong but maybe they won't be up until we register?

SU member says they won't be updated till next week :(

Daleyford wrote: »
    SU member says they won't be updated till next week :(

If you know your module codes (which are on your course's page on tcd.ie), you can search each one and figure out your timetable by yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 liamo01

I will know no one during freshers week! Anybody else in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Psych2013 wrote: »
    I was kind of wondering the same thing... I'm in Halls, too, so it'll be like 8 nights in a row for me.... Which nights do most people go to/ recommend?

Just a word of advice, Trinity Fresher's Ball in Academy last year was reallly disappointing. Trinity Ents (the student events group in Trinity) have organised the same for this year in the Academy on the Monday of Fresher's Week but if I were a Fresher again I'd steer well clear of it. It's overpriced and not worth the money.

For cheap/free entry and loads of drinks deals you'd be better off going to some of the weekly clubs that are usually guaranteed to be a good night. i.e. The Village on Wexford Street, Diceys on Harcourt Street, Alchemy in Temple Bar. These are THE Monday night clubs. Just please, stay away from our disappointment of a Fresher's Ball :pac:

Any other questions regarding Fresher's Week/college in general please, feel free to ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 hurleyman15

liamo01 wrote: »

Same here, don't know anyone and I'm not in halls either. Really scared of not knowing anyone for going out and stuff. :eek:

liamo01 wrote: »

Same here! I think it's a good thing though, because we'll be forced to make new friends instead of relying on anyone we already know!

Same here! I think it's a good thing though, because we'll be forced to make new friends instead of relying on anyone we already know!

Freshers ball is on the monday!? UCD is a week later omg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Same here, don't know anyone and I'm not in halls either. Really scared of not knowing anyone for going out and stuff. :eek:

Organise a boardsie meet up on the Monday of Fresher's Week. I met up with a few people off boards last year and still chat to them and even meet up the odd time. It's not as bad as it sounds and once you get over the initial awkwardness of meeting up with random people from the internet, it's great fun and you'll all get on great. I met up with some people on the Monday morning and by 9pm that evening we were all getting on like we had known each other for years. Last year someone made a Trinity boardsie Facebook group, an idea for you guys maybe? :)

There's also plenty of other opportunities for meeting new people as long as you're friendly and open. Just be yourself! This is University where being weird is a good thing, not an insult! Well, to a certain extent :pac: Just go to as many Fresher's Week events as possible and chat to everyone.

The key rule for all Freshers is that most people are in the same boat as you - slightly apprehensive about the whole college atmosphere, not knowing anybody/making new friends, afraid they won't meet anybody and will be stuck alone. This just doesn't happen as long as you embrace college life and be up to trying new things. Trust me and put your worries aside, you'll have a blast. :)

Advertisement