Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Writers from Burn Notice eh? I'm watching the last season at the moment, and arguably it's one of the strongest, most tightly written shows on TV at the moment. It's not high brow, so will get ignored by most, but its quality has me keen to see what its writers come up with next. There's never enough sci-fi for my liking anyway, and it's heartening to see HBO take on a little speculative fiction (I'm guessing the success of GoT has potentially influenced this decision).

Honestly though? They picked a good jumping off point because film Westworld has a reputation that far outstrips the quality of the film itself so they're not working under an overly-large shadow. It's a near-dreadful film, horrendously baggy (it was directed by author Michael Crichton) and is really only famous for Yul Brynner riffing on his cowboy roles....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Arnie was interested in doing a remake at one stage

pixelburp wrote: »
    Writers from Burn Notice eh? I'm watching the last season at the moment, and arguably it's one of the strongest, most tightly written shows on TV at the moment. It's not high brow, so will get ignored by most, but its quality has me keen to see what its writers come up with next.

I'd go so far as to say that Burn Notice is the best show on atm. The quality of the writing has been superb and episode 7 is the best episode of TV this year and puts Homeland, Dexter, etc to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

another interesting show from HBO, but i must say it take AAAAGGGGGGGEEEEESSSSSS for the shows to air, probably wont see this till late next year or early 2015:(

nice to see their investing more of fantasy/sci-fi stuff, im just waiting for the space based show from them,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

waiting for incursion on starz........

waiting for incursion on starz........
    if they ever get the damn thing off the ground, last i heard they were polishing off the scripts for season 1, no casting annoucment just 3-4 guys writing and stuff, that was about a month ago, i have faith that Starz and DeKnight will do a good job, but imagine a HBO show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How is this going to work? It's odd to think about Abrams dealing with HBO's usual levels of swearing, violence and sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

don ramo wrote: »
    if they ever get the damn thing off the ground, last i heard they were polishing off the scripts for season 1, no casting annoucment just 3-4 guys writing and stuff, that was about a month ago, i have faith that Starz and DeKnight will do a good job, but imagine a HBO show

i posted updates on the show in the upcoming shows sticky recently....female lead ala ripley. halo meets band of brothers. scripts for season 1 are done, its hugely expensive so there is alot of pre production work going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'll definitely give this a watch it sounds interesting, but if this was on any other network I would be giving it a miss, I am not an Abrams fan, haven't liked anything he has done really, I'll give anything HBO does the time of day though.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I'll definitely give this a watch it sounds interesting, but if this was on any other network I would be giving it a miss, I am not an Abrams fan, haven't liked anything he has done really, I'll give anything HBO does the time of day though.
    well his attention is fully on star wars, its just his company is probably making it, he will obviously give some advice towards it, but id say it might be johnathan nolan that will have the greater influence here, nolan has done a great job with person of interest since abrams gave him the show, just like carlton cuse and damon lindeloff did also with lost, abrams is just the flash to get interested, but in all honesty all most people will need to hear is HBO,

• Registered Users Posts: 84,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lisa Joy is aka Mrs. Jonathan Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Anthony Hopkins & Evan Rachel Wood To Star In HBO Pilot ‘Westworld

James Marsden also in talks about a lead role.
    In his first TV series role, Hopkins will play Dr. Robert Ford, the brilliant, taciturn and complicated creative director, chief programmer and chairman of the board of Westworld who has an uncompromising creative vision for the park — and unorthodox methods of achieving it.

Wood plays the provincial, beautiful and kind Dolores Abernathy, the quintessential farm girl of the frontier West — who is about to discover that her entire idyllic existence is an elaborately constructed lie.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/anthony-hopkins-evan-rachel-wood-to-star-in-westworld-pilot-from-j-j-abrams-jonathan-nolan-hbo/

http://tvline.com/2014/08/08/james-marsden-westworld-cast-hbo/

James Marsden, Jeffrey Wright, Rodrigo Santoro and Shannon Woodward join

Ed Harris in to play the villain

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ed Harris in to play the villain

Always great to Ed in anything.

The cast they are puting together for this show is making this look like a very exciting prospect. Lets just hope they can match the cast with a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Without getting ahead of myself, I think this could be the greatest tv show ever created.

In all seriousness it looks very promising. Hopefully we get news on when it's airing soon.

I have to say I am really really excited about this!
    Already considered a slam-dunk for a series order, HBO’s‘s star-studded drama pilot Westworld was showcased in a major way during Time Warner’s Investors Day, given thumbs-up by top executives who made it seem a series pickup is indeed a foregone conclusion.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/westworld-series-order-hbo-852005/

First images released.

Jonathan Nolan
    "What we can tell you is that we intend to make the most ambitious, subversive, f–ked-up television series... The things that keep you up at night, any of those things that trouble you—that is exactly what the show is about."

ustv-westworld-first-look-image.jpg
    doohnwrza3okwrxcswip.gif
    fond8rlwgqliqgpe3edk.gif
    qsh6mgwdfq3z3ihxixe0.gif

• Advertisement

HBO’s Westworld Delayed to 2016.

http://hbowatch.com/hbos-westworld-delayed-to-2016/

Eion Bailey, Jimmi Simpson and Clifton Collins Jr join while Miranda Otto exits http://tvline.com/2015/07/13/westworld-season-1-cast-eion-bailey-hbo/

As it hasn't leaked it looks like fans did as they were asked and didn't film the trailer on there phones at comic con.
    At the very end of the Person of Interest Comic-Con panel this past weekend, series creator and Dark Knight scribe Jonathan Nolan previewed 60 seconds of his new HBO series, Westworld - based on the 1973 Michael Crichton sci-fi classic - for the crowd on hand.

Nolan politely asked that everyone put their phones away and that no one film the footage being shown since it was intended just for those who took the time to attend the Q&A panel. And as far as we can tell, people abided. So we'll just briefly describe the screened footage for you.

westworld-hbo-james-marsden-evan-rachel-wood.jpg?resize=736%2C368

westworld-hbo-anthony-hopkins-jeffrey-wright-700x350.jpg?resize=700%2C350

westworld-hbo-ed-harris.jpg

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/07/14/comic-con-westworld-footage-description-and-new-photos

Teaser is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

As far as I'm aware everything he's done since Lost has been cancelled after a few seasons. I was a big Revolution fan though so I might give this a look

smilerf wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware everything he's done since Lost has been cancelled after a few seasons. I was a big Revolution fan though so I might give this a look

Person of Interest is a huge hit for both JJ and Jonathan Nolan who are the main guys behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Person of Interest is a huge hit for both JJ and Jonathan Nolan who are the main guys behind this.

I dropped Person of interest about half way into season 1 I think. Not sure why, think other things took my interest.

Must get back to it.

Really looking forward to this. Is it going to be totally Western focused, or any sort of look into the Roman and MEdival worlds the film depicted?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TheDoc wrote: »
    I dropped Person of interest about half way into season 1 I think. Not sure why, think other things took my interest.

Like a lot of these types of shows, Person of Interest needed time to shake off its 'Case of the Week' formula so its truer form could take over. It's now arguably the strongest Sci-Fi show on TV at the moment, maybe even of the last few years, but it definitely didn't give that impression for the first half of season 1. The dialogue's still pretty ropey, but the charisma and chemistry between the main cast is second to none.

As for Westworld, I'm getting quite excited by what I'm seeing, and the new trailer looks like it might have some decent weight behind it. Definitely keeping this fella on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Just watched the film this show is based on and I really liked it. The general idea or premise they will be using is very good and I can't wait to see it done with a big budget, some actors I love and of course JJ and Nolan!

I have a feeling this will be one of my favorite shows on tv.

• Advertisement

I just want to see a CGI'ed Yul Brynner cowboy even if he is just in a glass box as a model in some show room.

Advertisement