Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

budhabob wrote: »
    Maybe i need to give this another shot so....enjoyed it, but lost interest after say 3 episodes.

I fell asleep a few times watching it so I quit on it. So when Season 2 of Dark Matter started, I didn't bother watching because I thought it was The Expanse :confused:
    Hate it / Love it when that happens
    Dark Matter binge coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,355 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts tonight in the States and if you are watching here it's Tuesday on Sky Atlantic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm reading the books at the moment (second book so far and thoroughly enjoying them) so I only dipped my toe into the series for a few episodes to see the world they at set in visualised. The books are better (aren't they always?), the series seems fine but could use a better lead in Holden and a director that wasn't so wedded to very standard TV shots. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh coming it witih the expectations of the novel. I will give it the full binge watch soon though.

I read Leviathan Wakes after watching The Expanse and some of the changes are baffling. The worst moment of the series for me, where I felt like I was watching a boring cliche and would have switched off if I hadn't been told it was great, was
    Miller accepting bribes to not check out the air filtration system and then the inevitable catastrophe that he then feels remorse for. But in the books there is a general theme that the Belters are fastidious about environmental control and anyone who even hints about cutting corners would be shoved out an airlock.
    * A much more interesting set up that would have captured my attention more immediately because it was different from the usual lazy shorthand for corruption often seen in sci-fi while making more sense and giving an immediate insight into the mind-set of the belters. But it is still one of the best sci-fi series in a long time.

*Not much of a spoiler but I hid it to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Visually stunning and a stellar cast. Not sure how much I liked the opener bit I'll give it a.go. Hard to find any real characters in it as of yet

Kind of Deadwood meets the Truman show on Groundhog Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed it enough to go back for episode 2, even if episode 1 was just a lot of set up and we didn't really get to know the characters much at all. There's certainly great potential anyway - reminded me of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I loved it.

Eager for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

My new favourite series. The music during the shoot out at the end -was that
    Paint It Black?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My new favourite series. The music during the shoot out at the end -was that
    Paint It Black?

Yeah, and Black Hole Sun on the player piano earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brilliant really enjoyed it great cast nice final scene as well, like the way Black Hole Sun was playing on the saloon piano!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

If that opener is anything to go on then HBO might have their new Game of Thrones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

First 50 or so mins were very very enjoyable.
    Last 10 or so mins they cranked up the gears big time and i am hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

This was better than expectation, which was extremely high for me. Think this may be an absolute belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Great first episode with the last few minutes really getting the hooks in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

just watched episode one, holy sh1t that was class

I knew nothing about this show, literally just that Anthony Hopkins was in it..

Kinda had a Jurassic Park vibe in that it is essentially a doomed Theme-Park

Love the music in it, wasn't expecting to hear Rolling Stones and Soundgarden

wp_rathead wrote: »
    just watched episode one, holy sh1t that was class

I knew nothing about this show, literally just that Anthony Hopkins was in it..

Kinda had a Jurassic Park vibe in that it is essentially a doomed Theme-Park

Love the music in it, wasn't expecting to hear Rolling Stones and Soundgarden

Both concepts from Michael Crichton, so that's probably why there's a similar vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Excellent opening episode!!

Liked it! I wonder how many seasons are we looking at?

Liked it! I wonder how many seasons are we looking at?

Aparantly 5 but there could be more as Westworld is only one of the fantasy worlds they could have!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so what the mangements bigger plan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It was really excellent. Beautiful to look at, I was totally lost in it. I loved the Paint it Black scene. I hope that slick bandit with the cool leather jacket and his ass kicking blondie sidekick play a bigger part. I genuinely felt for the Evan Rachel Wood cyborg too, what a saddo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll spoiler for those watching on Sky

Once she said
    about not hurting a living thing, I knew a fly was done for.
    Liked the wee touch of Teddy touching where he was shot when he woke up.
    Are they not being tracked? Like are they not looking for the guy who was scalped or even Ed Harris's character? Unless he's managment or very rich, I don't see how he could stay there as long as he supposedly has.

Great first episode and looking forward to the rest

It was really excellent. Beautiful to look at, I was totally lost in it. I loved the Paint it Black scene. I hope that slick bandit with the cool leather jacket and his ass kicking blondie sidekick play a bigger part. I genuinely felt for the Evan Rachel Wood cyborg too, what a saddo.

Rodrigo Santoro and Ingrid Bolsø Berdal who play those two are billed in the opening credits so they'll probably have a reasonably big part to play for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The Singularity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

was there a hint that the film is treating the original westworld film as a sort of prequel they mention early in the film that there was a critical failure over 30 years prior to the series, also
    when they go into cold storage you can see the name of the company from the film on the globe and I think the set itself is from the film, not sure on that, havnt seen westworld in years. I dont think I've seen a mention of the current series company's name yet.

Aside from that I like the subvert of the gunslinger in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Excellent viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I found it hard to really care about any of the "hosts" as we know they are robots, pretty much rebooting each night. So while the gunfight was cool, it ultimately meant nothing.

Are some of them becoming sentient? Is that the play here? Is one, or some, of them going to start "remembering" and trying to hide it? Is Dolores already doing that?

Again, why should we even care, if the management can just turn them off at will?

Now, I was very intrigued by the real people, and I especially love the acting of Jeffrey Wright, I thought he played the over the top Valentin Narcisse in Boardwalk Empire excellently, but the more understated Bernard here to a "T". I think Bernard has a certain sympathy for the old man Ford, and I think he's going to be his main ally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was watching a review and they suggested this would run for 5 series. how would that work , its basically the Simpsons episode where Itchy and Scratchy park goes into meltdown :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

I would not fancy having to work in that basement......

Nice set up in the beginning with James Marsden's character arriving by train as it lets you believe he is one of the guests returning for the second visit. Also Kudos to Jonathan Nolan, he did a great job with the pilot and as show runner, also looking at the list of directors they have Neil Marshall (The Descent/Dog Soliders) directing one of the episodes later in the series, that one might be a bloodbath. Also the Matt Damon head of security lookalike is actually another Hemsworth brother! Still blown away on how good it was might have to rewatch as i'm sure I'll pick up some additional info on second viewing!

P.S. Great to see Trevor (Steven Ogg) from GTA/The Walking Dead as a bad ass Cowboy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

- Bringing people back from the dead.
    - Replacing presidents with amenable dummies

Advertisement