Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jack hegarty

I have a question re Bilberry 8KW non Boiler stove.

I intend to burn only wood this winter. I have removed the bottom circular plate.

My question is where can I get a flat plate for the base of the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hi all,
    i need a register plate for a arched fireplace.
    440mm wide and 660mm at the highest point in the arch.
    where could i find such a thing?
    regards
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

tippman79 wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of renovating my house. I'm installing solars and a boiler stove and already have oil fired central heating in the house. I would of though that I would need a new triple coil cylinder but my plumber says I won't. That a dual coil cylinder with the boiler stove and oil running off the same system will be fine (with the solars on their own system).

I don't know the plumber and I have no reason not to trust him but I want to be sure he's not taking a short cut. The new solars and stove are accounting for a large chunk for my overall spend so I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible system.

I'd really appreciate any advise. Thanks.

I have a similar setup and used a triple coil. That's not to say that a dual won't work, I don't know enough about it to say, but my plumber used a triple. Definitely worth checking into further

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paul303

seriously thinking of putting a solid fuel boiler in the garage. Will they work on a unvented system and do I need a buffer tank( I'm hoping an automated fan and vent system will control the burn rate) any advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

I am thinking of putting a stanley oisin in our sitting room(multifuel). Just wondering what you think of the price i was quoted.

The job was priced at 300 euro to put in the stove. Also to do a bit of tiled around what the stove would be standing on(about a square metre with the tiles included in the price).

Is three hundred a fair price to put the stove in and a few tiles?The is no pre existing fireplace in already so it would not be a messy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am thinking of putting a stanley oisin in our sitting room(multifuel). Just wondering what you think of the price i was quoted.

The job was priced at 300 euro to put in the stove. Also to do a bit of tiled around what the stove would be standing on(about a square metre with the tiles included in the price).

Is three hundred a fair price to put the stove in and a few tiles?The is no pre existing fireplace in already so it would not be a messy job.

Ifs there's not a fireplace is there a chimney or how do they intend to work a chimney/flue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Ifs there's not a fireplace is there a chimney or how do they intend to work a chimney/flue

a new fireplace ur saying, ya

price sounds ok with tiles included

GY A1 wrote: »
    a new fireplace ur saying, ya

price sounds ok with tiles included

I should have really taken a picture. There fire place has been rebuilt about two years ago. the only thing that is there at the moment is the opening of the fireplace and the hearth(excuse spelling).

What i am looking to have installed in a solid fuel stove along with getting the hearth tiled. included in the price is to install the stove along with the flue. Also tiling of the hearth.

good price?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Where are you getting the Oisin do you mind me asking? I'm looking for 1 of them as well and don't want to spend more than I want to

Clareman wrote: »
    Where are you getting the Oisin do you mind me asking? I'm looking for 1 of them as well and don't want to spend more than I want to

The cheapest i found so for in Dublin is Davies for 450.00. I think i could get it down the country for 400 but by the time you factor in petrol its just the same.

Did you find it cheaper anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nope, 450 is what I'm seeing around the place as well, stovecentre.ie and Heiton Buckleys are where I've tried

Nope, 450 is what I'm seeing around the place as well, stovecentre.ie and Heiton Buckleys are where I've tried

I found Chinese manufactured ones for 250/300 but the warranty seems much better with the Stanley ones. Im aware that stanley are produced in china but none the less they seem to be a better product. Have you priced and install of the oisin or are you going to do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Hey folks i dont want to put same post across multiple forums but i just posted in bargain alerts about stoves. I cant remember all the brands but rennes & slaney. Im sure there were more.
    Regards
    Eveanne

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mojo1979

Purchased the c four. Cracking little frugal stove. Great heat output. Didn't opt for the multifuel grate, as I just want to burn the tonnes of free wood my gardner mate brings me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

anyone know anything about this stove? Bestfire Kingsley 22kW Multifue Boiler Stove trying to get good value and good quality for 4 br bungalow 1200sq foot (to heat both water and rads) so if anyone has any reccomendations i'd love to hear them... I have no idea about any of this stuff - what other costs do I have to include? am researching b4 I put it to my other half.....

mojo1979 wrote: »
    Purchased the c four. Cracking little frugal stove. Great heat output. Didn't opt for the multifuel grate, as I just want to burn the tonnes of free wood my gardner mate brings me ;)

show us a pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

just called a supplier who suggested Henley Blasket 21kw boiler stove ............... anyone have this in their home???? he said irish made etc and recommended but I googled and found 2 people last year had probs one with grate disentigrating and other with bricks insided falling apart.

I hope some one can give me some feedback :)

happydays5 wrote: »
    just called a supplier who suggested Henley Blasket 21kw boiler stove ............... anyone have this in their home???? he said irish made etc and recommended but I googled and found 2 people last year had probs one with grate disentigrating and other with bricks insided falling apart.

I hope some one can give me some feedback :)

what about Stanley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Deciding on what multi-fuel boiler stove to install.
    Ideally it will be a full cast iron stove, single door of reputable brand.
    It's going in the kitchen about 4' from the hot press and cylinder.
    There was a solid fuel Stanley superstar originally in this position, so plumbing into existing pipework, should be straightforward hopefully.
    Some stoves seem to have a cast door and steel body, but full cast stove is the target.
    The room dimensions are 14' x 20'.
    The radiators on the system are as follows:

10 x 625mm x 500mm (wardrobes)
    3 x 950 x 500
    2 x 1150 x 500
    2 x 1550 x 500
    1 x 1950 x 500
    1 x 1170 x 500 (double)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Can you offer any advise on the Alpha Inset Boiler Stove, price wise seems like good value in comparison to the more popular models.

Does it perform well and what other models would people recommend?

Thanks
    theduffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

hi guys.. this is probally a very silly question but i have tried to look through the posts for my answer..

can i hook up an solid fuel stove to an exsisting oil boiler system and run say the stove during the day and evening and then in the morning blast on the oil for a few hours to reheat the water.

thanks guys..

deckycoop wrote: »
    hi guys.. this is probally a very silly question but i have tried to look through the posts for my answer..

can i hook up an solid fuel stove to an exsisting oil boiler system and run say the stove during the day and evening and then in the morning blast on the oil for a few hours to reheat the water.

thanks guys..

Depending on the setup of your oil fired.Is it a open or sealed system.
    It is very possible best bet is to get a plumber that has experience of solid fuel installations and get his opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

Hi. Looking for a bit of feedback.

I want to put in a basic 6Kw stove at my fireplace.

I intend just bricking up the fireplace, and putting the rear pipe of the stove through the brick wall with a spigot. Essentially, just a sealed hole in the brick wall.

Of course, this brick wall will be air tight, and plastered with fire plaster.

I will also have an access port in the bottom of the wall, through which I can put in a vacuum attachment to clear soot from the floor of the old fireplace. (I intend regularly sweeping the chimney from the roof, around every 4-6 months). This port will be a removable metal plate sealed on a gasket.

I realise the standard solution is for a st/st flexi-pipe packed with vermiculite etx. However, I am not decided yet on the permanent layout for this room, or water and radiator heating arrangement, so am not ready to commit to the full comprehensive (expensive) solution, or invest in the flexi-pipe yet etc.

It is 6m 8" chimney, seems in good condition. I will have CO alarms too.

Any insights or advice based on experience etc?

Cheers.

ronan0 wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for a bit of feedback.

I want to put in a basic 6Kw stove at my fireplace.

I intend just bricking up the fireplace, and putting the rear pipe of the stove through the brick wall with a spigot. Essentially, just a sealed hole in the brick wall.

Of course, this brick wall will be air tight, and plastered with fire plaster.

I will also have an access port in the bottom of the wall, through which I can put in a vacuum attachment to clear soot from the floor of the old fireplace. (I intend regularly sweeping the chimney from the roof, around every 4-6 months). This port will be a removable metal plate sealed on a gasket.

I realise the standard solution is for a st/st flexi-pipe packed with vermiculite etx. However, I am not decided yet on the permanent layout for this room, or water and radiator heating arrangement, so am not ready to commit to the full comprehensive (expensive) solution, or invest in the flexi-pipe yet etc.

It is 6m 8" chimney, seems in good condition. I will have CO alarms too.

Any insights or advice based on experience etc?

Cheers.

Its quite simple what you intend to do does not meet building regs.So it is not permissible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Invincible wrote: »
    Deciding on what multi-fuel boiler stove to install.
    Ideally it will be a full cast iron stove, single door of reputable brand.
    It's going in the kitchen about 4' from the hot press and cylinder.
    There was a solid fuel Stanley superstar originally in this position, so plumbing into existing pipework, should be straightforward hopefully.
    Some stoves seem to have a cast door and steel body, but full cast stove is the target.
    The room dimensions are 14' x 20'.
    The radiators on the system are as follows:

10 x 625mm x 500mm (wardrobes)
    3 x 950 x 500
    2 x 1150 x 500
    2 x 1550 x 500
    1 x 1950 x 500
    1 x 1170 x 500 (double)

Where's Stoveman? He'd have an answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

The matt black one was €399 in m d o sheas cork recently and I hear they are having a sale ate september where it will drop further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

What are the brick effect panels that are placed inside the fireplace called. Would Tiles do the same job? this is a new fireplace with no insert in it, just the bare blockwork with a scratch coat on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Hi

Am looking to get a small non-boiler freestanding stove supplied and installed. I have been around a few stores but when I phoned to see about getting a specific quote for the installation I was told it would cost 100 euro for them to call out and give a quote ...............this to be taken off the price if I order from them. Does that sound right? Seems to me that I'd have no option but to go with them then and would defeat the purpose of the quote.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ronan0

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Its quite simple what you intend to do does not meet building regs.So it is not permissible
    Tell me what requirement you believe I am not addressing.

You do realise building regulations are ever only a GUIDANCE as to how to acheive certain engineering requirements and standards.

(Let's not memtion how Irish building regulations are often utilised to try and rig the market and protect incumbents from competition by creating as many perceived barriers to entry as possible etc.)

Now, I have not gone into this yet, because I was hoping for some advice first, beyond the old knee jerk stuff. I can sit down with the regs as well as anyone. But I was hoping for some feedback first, so I don't have to read cover to cover.

Is there anyone on here, engineering-minded who can tell me what I have missed, in terms of the spirit of the requirements?

Air supply is good, chimney and discharge is good (I know I have good draw, and I have inspected the existing clay lining), protection of building is good, debris collection space is good, and so on...

I can do any test to ensure air supply, discharge of products of combustion, system is sealed, protection of building etc, is within the requirements.

Or are there are only professional installers and naive consumers on this thread, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DamienClarkeV

Hi, i'm currently in the process of fixing up my grannies house that we are hoping to move into late october early november. Anyway the old stanley 8 range is cracked in a number of places so think it wise to replace with a boiler stove to heat 8 rads and domestic water. Got a good price for an Olymberyl aidan but weary that seller is only giving me 1year warranty on boiler & 5year parts when it should be 5years boiler and 5 year parts?
    Aswell as that the room I would be putting it into is the dinning room approx 13'x13' (calculated 3.03kW to heat it) were the aidan will generate 5.5kW to room. So my question is, Is the stove to big for what i need or could i just leave doors open into other rooms to draw heat away? or is it just a matter of finding the right amount of fuel to burn?
    Other stoves i'm drawn to are 1) The Stanley Erin
    2) Blacksmith Forge

Any info greatly appreciated

Extra info: I calculated total kW output needed for house is 18.66(3kW added for boiler) and Btu required is 53431.92. My father in the past 10 years or so dry lined all of the solid block walls and insulated the attic plus pvc windows and doors. The house is very easy to heat just looking to do away with oil heating

Advertisement