Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

an update on my last post i put the stove on today to see exactly what it does i notice that it takes a long time to heat cyclinder + return was only luke warm but another concern is that when the pump came on it took all the hot water from top and bottom pipes of coil in the cyclinder and then put all the cold water into the boiler ie flow and return were cold
    any idea what is going on:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

ltz400 wrote: »
    an update on my last post i put the stove on today to see exactly what it does i notice that it takes a long time to heat cyclinder + return was only luke warm but another concern is that when the pump came on it took all the hot water from top and bottom pipes of coil in the cyclinder and then put all the cold water into the boiler ie flow and return were cold
    any idea what is going on:(

Take a few pics of the pipe work in the hot press

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JVCH

New Stove Stanley Oisin
    Hi All

I am new to the forum and have a question in relation to solid fuel stoves. We have decided to opt for the Stanley Oisin stove to heat our new single storey extension room. We will need to get a new flu installed and would like to know who to chat to about this. If anybody knows a good registered Stanley Agent who could advise, install flu, stove could you PM me?

Thank a mil
    J

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does anyone have a Boru Carraig Mor stove?

We're going to install a boiler stove in the coming weeks and have decided on either the Boru or an Olymberyl Aidan (also available under Henley, Mulberry, etc.)

The Olymberyl is traditional cast, but the Boru seems to be steel, and a bit smaller size-wise as well as dedicating more kW to the boiler which would suit us.

Just wary of it, due to it being a seemingly small company. Might be hard to get parts longer term, if the company went bust or something.

Any opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tippman79

I've found a modena 21kw back boiler stove for 700 euro. This comapres to the henley druid 21kw for 1200 Euro. Anyone got any idea why there is sure a big difference in price and if the modena stove is any good. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for us.
    We have a twin walled stainless steel flue installed for our stove. The full chinaman cap has blown off twice. The first time the whole unit came off in strong winds and broke into three pieces. We took a rivet gun and re secured the metal top cap to the grips and reattached it securely. During our last strong winds the top domed cap itself broke off, leaving the other two pieces in place. It is unrepairable.

The top of the flue is obviously catching some strong winds as it stretches up to the top of the roof on a two storey house. We need to replace the cap with something but don't know what.

Has anyone any suggestions?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 manusf

Hi Everyone, I am fitting a Cara Stanley insert stove & have attached the flexi fuel to the spigot using the grub screws provided but how do i seal this joint correctly before i move flexi to its final position.

Has anyone installed one of these?

any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

manusf wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I am fitting a Cara Stanley insert stove & have attached the flexi fuel to the spigot using the grub screws provided but how do i seal this joint correctly before i move flexi to its final position.

Has anyone installed one of these?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Flexi should not be connected directly to stove there should be a 600mm solid pipe first then flexi.Flexi should also be 6in even though the collar on stove is 5in you use a 6-5 adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 manusf

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Flexi should not be connected directly to stove there should be a 600mm solid pipe first then flexi.Flexi should also be 6in even though the collar on stove is 5in you use a 6-5 adaptor

Hi Robbie

Thanks for your response. We have fitted a 5" flexi and connected it to the spigot. Is this dangerous or just not best practice?

manusf wrote: »
    Hi Robbie

Thanks for your response. We have fitted a 5" flexi and connected it to the spigot. Is this dangerous or just not best practice?

5in flexi is only for wood burning stoves.For multi fuel it should be 6in.There should be a connecting flue pipe between the stove and flexi as the heat that's produced directly at the stove could damage the flexi.Its not particularly dangerous but its against regs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Its not particularly dangerous but its against regs

I would agree with everything Robbie has said right upto that bit....

The flue being under-sized for the material being burned along with a flexi to the spigot, I would certainly consider extremely dangerous. The chances of that part of the flue becoming defective are greatly increased & therefore once they did become defective would pose a serious risk to the occupiers & the home.

Plus the fact that how to seal the flue properly is also not known, what is being missed, flue bends, sweeping, terminals, ventilation, etc.

I suppose it's the difference between a DIY job & a professional job, but each to their own. I wouldn't dismantle the brakes of my car & put them back together & let my wife & kids in it. I would get a reputable & qualified mechanic to do it for me & test same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, I'm building a cabin out the back garden and I have a pot belly stove that I want to put in. I'm thinking the flue will go straight up and through the roof. The roof is 4*2s with an OSB sheet on top (built) and I want torch-on felt on top of that (not done yet). Anyway, I'm not sure what sort of flue I need, especially with regards to passing through a wooden material. Also, is it best to do the flue first and torch-on felt after?
    I have already built a small brick wall behind where the stove will sit.

Any advice would be appreciated as I want to get the job finished soon.

Thanks,
    Colin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Hi, I'm building a cabin out the back garden and I have a pot belly stove that I want to put in. I'm thinking the flue will go straight up and through the roof. The roof is 4*2s with an OSB sheet on top (built) and I want torch-on felt on top of that (not done yet). Anyway, I'm not sure what sort of flue I need, especially with regards to passing through a wooden material. Also, is it best to do the flue first and torch-on felt after?

Thanks,
    Colin.

has the cabin concrete block walls, and put the flue out there rather than through the roof, which is a danger in my opinion

Thanks,
    Colin.

You can use twin wall flue.Dont attempt to do this yourself get in a professional as there are also a lot of other things that have to be taken into account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Need a new stove installed in the bungalow kitchen, collecting flue parts shortly.

Can anyone recommend an installer to install it, am in the Navan area,

please send me a PM with details.

GY A1 wrote: »
    has the cabin concrete block walls, and put the flue out there rather than through the roof, which is a danger in my opinion

No, walls are timber.

You can use twin wall flue.Dont attempt to do this yourself get in a professional as there are also a lot of other things that have to be taken into account

Know anyone near Firhouse that could price it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

anyone be able to give me a rough estimate how much a surround would cost ?I am going to put in an insert stove but my surround is wood and there won't be enough clearance.the hearth will be ok to use,would a fireplace centre just sell/make me a surround?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gedmen

a boiler stove brings the clearance to combustibles requirement right down to 150 or 160mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galway84

shane0007 wrote: »
    I would agree with everything Robbie has said right upto that bit....

The flue being under-sized for the material being burned along with a flexi to the spigot, I would certainly consider extremely dangerous. The chances of that part of the flue becoming defective are greatly increased & therefore once they did become defective would pose a serious risk to the occupiers & the home.

Plus the fact that how to seal the flue properly is also not known, what is being missed, flue bends, sweeping, terminals, ventilation, etc.

I suppose it's the difference between a DIY job & a professional job, but each to their own. I wouldn't dismantle the brakes of my car & put them back together & let my wife & kids in it. I would get a reputable & qualified mechanic to do it for me & test same.

I am now going to add a 600mm flue pipe using this MI adaptor
    But would the 5" flexi flue be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mev

Hi all, looking for some suggestions/advice
    Need to install back boiler multi-fuel stove as we have a supply of turf, after 8 months in the house existing OFCH is totally inadequate. The problems are the existing heating system is pressurised, the single-coil cylinder is downstairs, can't really connect pipework under the floor, opening of the stonework fireplace is only 2ft by 2ft and we have 5 cast irons radiators downstairs presumably holding way more water than conventional ones aswell a 5 ordinary ones. Plumbers are all suggesting different solutions, house is 1700 sqft and poorly insulated which will be addressed later. Should i widen fireplace for bigger stove, change cast iron radiators, change tank upstairs???? Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

yabadabado wrote: »
    anyone be able to give me a rough estimate how much a surround would cost ?I am going to put in an insert stove but my surround is wood and there won't be enough clearance.the hearth will be ok to use,would a fireplace centre just sell/make me a surround?

have a look at done deal, should be some good bargains for second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Most fireplace centres will sell you a surround only if that's what you want.
    Just go for a synthetic marfil marble as its the cheapest and will do the job just fine.
    The necessity to change the hearth or insert when installing an insert stove is obviously on a case by case basis.
    As for cost you could get a surround only from as cheap as 550 euro new.
    I'm sure you will find some second hand ones floating around on done deal.
    Pm me if you want any more info.
    Edit-You beat me too it GY A1. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21 John317

Hello Folks, I would like your good advice on what multi fuel boiler stove you would recommend for my 3 bedroom bungalow, 1100 sq ft, I have 12 radiators including 3 doubles and some of the radiators are a large size so roughly around 16 radiators I will give the sizes of them to make sure I'm right. First of all the size of the kitchen where my stove is to be fitted is 24ft by 12ft with double doors leading to a conservatory of 24 foot by 12 foot. The radiators sizes are as follows;

Double Radiator X 2 800 * 500
    Double Radiator 1200 * 500
    Single Radiator 1600 * 500
    Single Radiator 900 * 500
    Single Radiator 700 * 500
    Single Radiator 800 * 500
    Single Radiator 1000 * 500
    Single Radiator 1300 * 500
    Towel Radiator 800 * 500

I have a standard wooden fireplace in situe, and would like advice on whether a marble fireplace would be best suited for the stove, I would be interested in either a free standing one or inset, I was recommended the TR 25 stove, but would like to know has anyone got one of these, they are a large stove that heat up to 16 - 17 radiators, my cylinder is 3 foot away from the fireplace where the stove be situated. Many thanks in advance.

Galway84 wrote: »
    I am now going to add a 600mm flue pipe using this MI adaptor
    But would the 5" flexi flue be safe.

The flexi is the wrong size.It should be 6in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

John317 wrote: »
    Hello Folks, I would like your good advice on what multi fuel boiler stove you would recommend for my 3 bedroom bungalow, 1100 sq ft, I have 12 radiators including 3 doubles and some of the radiators are a large size so roughly around 16 radiators I will give the sizes of them to make sure I'm right. First of all the size of the kitchen where my stove is to be fitted is 24ft by 12ft with double doors leading to a conservatory of 24 foot by 12 foot. The radiators sizes are as follows;

Double Radiator X 2 800 * 500
    Double Radiator 1200 * 500
    Single Radiator 900 * 500
    Single Radiator 700 * 500
    Single Radiator 1000 * 500
    Single Radiator 1300 * 500
    Towel Radiator 800 * 500

I have a standard wooden fireplace in situe, and would like advice on whether a marble fireplace would be best suited for the stove, I would be interested in either a free standing one or inset, I was recommended the TR 25 stove, but would like to know has anyone got one of these, they are a large stove that heat up to 16 - 17 radiators, my cylinder is 3 foot away from the fireplace where the stove be situated. Many thanks in advance.

The TR25 gives 8.75kw to the room. You would want a very big room to put that in. It would be like a furnace in a small room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Urman

Hello Stove Fan, or anyone who can help, please,

I would greatly appreciate your superb, expert advice, please.
    I am really at my wit's end with a new build with my heating system. I have had three plumbers look at the problems and each one is contradictating the other and having conflicting solutions. I contacted the manufactuers as well, who told me have a plumber look at it - a 4th one??!
    I am so confused now that I don't know where to turn, or what to do.

I have a Hamco Glenmore 30B Boiler Stove. It is supposed to offer 23 KWs to the water and "service the largest of homes and the most demanding of central heating requirements". But, it won't even heat 8 double rads for me! My new build house is 3,300 sq feet, with excellent insulation.

I have oil central heating with a Firebird Boiler C44. The back boiler stove was an after thought. It is located in a recessed inglenook style fireplace, (see the photo of the location that I have attached, please), with 8" clay flue pipes, with a 30 degree bend on it, through masonry wall. The room is an open plan area of 25' X 20', with 8' ceilings, with excellent insulation.

But, the stove/plumbing system aren't heating my rads. The upper inch or so of the rads gets bearly luke warm, while the rest of the rad remains ice cold. This is in spite of a coal fire for 10 or 11 hours a day. The water in the taps is steaming hot and even the skim on the wall where the clay pipe is passing through, above the mantle beam, has a single crack on it (another upset), so there seems to be massive heat being emitted from the stove itself.

I have attached a photo of the stove's enamel flue pipe attached to a stainless adapator, which in turn is attached to the clay liners. Should this adapator be clay too, to suit the clay liner? Is this why the clay liner seems to be absorbing so much heat from the stainless adapator, which might have caused the crack on the wall, above the mantle beam?

There are four pipes at the back of the stove, but only two are connected. Only 1 out of the 3 plumbers said that the 4 pipes should be connected. The other said that 4 pipes won't make any dramatic difference. The pump and stat are located on the opposite side of the masonry wall immediately behind the stove, I attached a photo of this too.

The stat is set at 50 degress, but the pump only comes on for two minutes, every 10 minutes, regardless of whether I burn turf, wood, or coal, for 10 hours a day. Surely it should remain on for longer than just 2 minutes. Is the stat located on the correct pipe? One plumber moved it to vertical pipe and then the 2nd plumber came and put it back on the horizontal pipe again! It didn't seem to make any difference.

I have 15 double rads installed and there are 6 more yet to be installed (3 cast iron Victorian style rads - totalling 18,300 BTUs and 3 towel rails, totalling 10,100 BTUs.

The 15 rads that are presently installed comprise of:-
    2 X (1600mm wide x 500mm high), double
    1 X (1400mm wide x 500mm high), double
    1 X (1300mm wide x 500mm high), double
    4 X (1000mm wide x 500mm high), double
    3 X (800mm wide x 500mm high), double
    4 X (500mm wide x 500mm high), double.

I know that this is a very high demand on the stove, so I tried to reduce the load on it by closing down 7 of those rads, which left just 8 double rads to be heated, but there wasn't any big difference in the temp of the rads - still just bearly lukewarm on the top area.

I have a 300 litre triple coil, unvented Joule cylinder in the hotpress if that information is needed.

I would be grateful for any advice, please.

Thanks a million for your time.

Hi DaisyBeeton, I saw your posting when i was looking at possible improvements for the same stove Hamco Genmore 30B and though i would share what i found. I'm no expert and I'm not a plumber if anyone sees problems with what i advise feel free to correct me. Even though your information is from a year and half ago i thought you may still have the same issue.

My Setup
    Solar tank
    Solar panels
    19 rads ( 17 of which are doubles)
    Oil boiler ( second heat source to heat water and rads).
    Every room is zoned with its own thermostat.

My stove is setup with all 4 outlets on the back of the stove connected. The stat for switching on the transfer of heat for the rads is mount behind the stove on the top left output. For a year i was getting the similar situation as you where the rad's only got hot on the top area. Following some testing myself i found i could only heat a few rad's if all the others where switched off, even though the stove was fully loaded and damper open. Also hot water from the hot taps was roasting.

A few points that help me:
    1. Stat replaced on stove:
    I noticed that the stat didn't kick in at the set temperature.
    I ended up getting the stat on the back of the stove replaced and it made a big difference.
    2. Hot water
    Also i find the hot water tank has to be heated before you see any benefit to the radiators. I have a 300litre tank so the stove has to be lit for an hour or more before it will heat the radiators. But i think this is normal with back boilers. After the stat change it is perfect. The Stat change also fix the roasting hot water tap issue.

3. Amount of Radiators being heated.
    When i bought the stove i was told the stove would only heat 20 standard size rads. The fact i have 17 doubles i now accept the stove will only really only heat 8 large double rads. I now set the temperature in the main rooms (sitting room and living space) to 19-21 degrees and all other rooms (bedrooms) to 10-12 degrees. Change them as required. Seems to have helped alot. Also my stove is in my sitting room that opens through double doors to the kitchen. I use the stove to directly heat these rooms and leave these rads off.

Hope some of this helps.
    I would be interested to hear if you found any solution to your problem.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eh2011

Hi there, just registered to the site as am fitting a stove and new fireplace and really need some help. My head is melted looking around and researching. Basically we want just a room heater stove and the room requires 5.6kw. We have narrowed it down to:

Boru 400i (7kw) and
    Stovax Riva 50 (7kw)

Anyone any experience of either of these and which would be best to go for. There is a fairly big price difference in the two, 50% more for the stovax . Are they worth that??

The next question is the flexi flue. Some places are saying we dont need it as house is only 15 yrs old so an adaptor will be fine. Others insisting on CCTV camera inspection of chimney first. Any advice on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tippman79

I'm currently in the process of renovating my house. I'm installing solars and a boiler stove and already have oil fired central heating in the house. I would of though that I would need a new triple coil cylinder but my plumber says I won't. That a dual coil cylinder with the boiler stove and oil running off the same system will be fine (with the solars on their own system).

I don't know the plumber and I have no reason not to trust him but I want to be sure he's not taking a short cut. The new solars and stove are accounting for a large chunk for my overall spend so I want to make sure I'm getting the best possible system.

I'd really appreciate any advise. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am thinking about buying the Boru 400i but I cant find any technical details regarding clearance to combustibles etc.Anyone have the details or a link to them?

Advertisement