Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

^
    THAT is genuinely terrifying

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

...but how do we know what he saw if he jumped? Plothole :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Canard wrote: »

He shouted out on the way down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Canard wrote: »

The story I was told the third trainee priest survived the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

There's an article about those Maynooth priests here, on the Come Here To Me blog.

http://comeheretome.com/2012/07/20/the-ghost-room-in-maynooth/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

The maynooth stories always freaked me out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I was only in Maynooth the other day and just as i was reading that story above about the priests, and felt my cat sit on me, lie against my back like, as i'm curled up in the bed. Went to pet her - but she's not even in the room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

My brother and I lost contact many years ago when he had a falling out with my family. He lives in Australia and I had not seen him or heard from him in many years.

One night in 2009 I was asleep and woke up suddenly having seen his face. I was dreaming and his face was suddenly right in front of mine, like literally inches away. It just took over the dream I was having and woke me.

A few days later, my mum rang me saying he had been in touch with her and had made amends. :)

I suppose he wanted to let me know he was back in our lives from across the ocean.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Get sleep paralysis so often that it doesn't scare me any more, it's just a pain in the ass because I have to wake myself up fully to get back to sleep :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Another one regarding my mum. She lent a 'friend' a gown for a Christening way back in the 70s and never got it back off the woman who moved away and lost touch (obviously this is well before email and facebook).

Anyway, my mum is very religious and was very upset over this as we had all been Christened in it and it had been passed down through the family.

Years later, my mum was wandering around and just happened to pop into a second-hand store and in there was the gown. She loves telling us that story :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

There was a girl in cork that used to babysit regularly for this couples baby. On one occasion the girl's sister had to baby sit and it was her first time but the family were ok with that. I think she was only 14 so pretty young tbh as I believe the baby was like three years.

Anyway to try and cut a long story short the girl was putting the kid to bed around 7pm. She walked downstairs, heard crying, went upstairs to gently get the kid back to sleep, went downstairs again, more crying from the kid so went up again and this went on a few more times. On one of the occasions she noticed the kid had undone all the buttons on its vest so she did them all back up and deduced the kid must have been warm so she took off one of the blankets and moved it over near the kids teddies where she noticed an extremely large and scary clown teddy. The kid kept crying no matter what she did so she called her sister to ask what to do. She said to her sister that maybe the large clown teddy was scaring the kid. Her sister never knew about the clown teddy but intuitively felt something was wrong so told her sister to quietly bring the kid downstairs and over to the neighbour's house and to wait.

An hour later the girl saw the police walk a life sized clown out of the house.

:eek:

bogwalrus wrote: »
    There was a girl in cork that used to babysit regularly for this couples baby. On one occasion the girl's sister had to baby sit and it was her first time but the family were ok with that. I think she was only 14 so pretty young tbh as I believe the baby was like three years.

Anyway to try and cut a long story short the girl was putting the kid to bed around 7pm. She walked downstairs, heard crying, went upstairs to gently get the kid back to sleep, went downstairs again, more crying from the kid so went up again and this went on a few more times. On one of the occasions she noticed the kid had undone all the buttons on its vest so she did them all back up and deduced the kid must have been warm so she took off one of the blankets and moved it over near the kids teddies where she noticed an extremely large and scary clown teddy. The kid kept crying no matter what she did so she called her sister to ask what to do. She said to her sister that maybe the large clown teddy was scaring the kid. Her sister never knew about the clown teddy but intuitively felt something was wrong so told her sister to quietly bring the kid downstairs and over to the neighbour's house and to wait.

An hour later the girl saw the police walk a life sized clown out of the house.

:eek:

urban legend but a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Great thread. My story is not so much creepy/unnerving, but more freaky and an act of extraordinary coincidence. Story is about my grandmother and she loves telling everyone about it, god love her.

Anyways, I think it was about 1937, my grandmother was 12 years old and lived in Leitrim (where she was born). Her mother sent her off down to the local shop to pick up bread (apparently that was the norm)...nearest shop being 2 miles away. She goes to the shop, gets the bread and heads off home. On her way back she starts to feel unwell and ends up having a seizure in the middle of nowhere (she epileptic). Young lad comes along, about 16, sees her lying unconscious on the side of the road, in the middle of January of all the months. He lifts her up and carries her to the nearest house which was about a mile down the road and was in fact my grandmothers closest neighbour. My grandmother wakes up on her neighbours sofa just in time to see the lady seeing the lad out the door and thanking him. The lad probably saved my grandmother life, as i was a particularly cold day and the roads (more like paths) where empty 95% per cent of the time.

Anyway fast forward 12 years and my Gran had moved to Dublin. She was working as sales person in some textile shop in town. Over the course of a few weeks she got friendly with a gentleman named David (also from leitrim) who used to deliver stuff to the shop. Eventually he asks her out. From what I can remember I think it was the 3rd time that they went out they were talking about there childhood. My grandmother brought up the fact that she was epileptic and had nearly died before. He's intrigued and she tells him the story. Well, the more she told the story, the whiter his face went. Shes finishes the story and by now can see that he actually has tear in his eye. He then stares at her and says 'That was me who found you'. As you can imagine my grandmother just started crying immediately.
    They got married a year later and had 5 kids. My grandfather is unfortunately a long time dead at this stage, 24 years to be exact. My grandmother is now 87/88, and still going strong. I'll be proud to tell my young ones this story when I eventually get around to having some :) She can tell the story much better than i can, so apologies for the long post.

Oh and btw, just to fully complete the story, my grandfather lived about 4 miles from the shop in the opposite in the opposite direction of my grandmother house. He was out that day looking for his dog who had run away the day before, he says that he spent 8 hours that day out in the cold searching for 'Tara'.

Best story in here by far.

Its one of the few I believe too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

HazDanz wrote: »
    I think the full story of the Maynooth priest is that there was a trainee priest that lived in the room and he cut his own throat. People just said okay that was a suicide, then another priest stayed there, same thing happened. Cut his own throat, another suicide.

After that another priest (guy you are referring to stayed there I guess) and was cutting his facial hair. He got an overwhelming feeling to cut his own throat when he was about to shave at the mirror - he also noticed a dark presence behind him in the mirror. He got so freaked out he jumped from the window based on the previous two priest suicides and knowing what happened.

They closed off the room and put a big Mary statue in it to warn off whatever was in the room at the time.

You can go up and see the room yourself now whenever you want - statue there and everything.

Yeah I knew there was more of a back story to it but couldnt remeber it properly!

Creepy place!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's an article about those Maynooth priests here, on the Come Here To Me blog.

http://comeheretome.com/2012/07/20/the-ghost-room-in-maynooth/

What kind of crappy seminary is it if they can't exorcise one measly room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

my old RE teacher at school studied at maynooth for a while, he used to tell stories about it, can't remember them now though, there was one about blood stains on the wall or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

kylith wrote: »
    What kind of crappy seminary is it if they can't exorcise one measly room?

There's also part of the story that says that Pope John Paul II visited the room when he visited in 1979 and even he couldn't rid the room of the presence. Oooooooooooooooooooohhh! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Vojera wrote: »
    There's also part of the story that says that Pope John Paul II visited the room when he visited in 1979 and even he couldn't rid the room of the presence. Oooooooooooooooooooohhh! :eek:

You know what that tells me? It tells me that this demon is stronger than the Pope, even with the might of God behind him. Therefore Satan is stronger than God. Therefore Christians have all been worshipping the wrong guy.

All hail Satan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

my old RE teacher at school studied at maynooth for a while, he used to tell stories about it, can't remember them now though, there was one about blood stains on the wall or something

kylith wrote: »
    You know what that tells me? It tells me that this demon is stronger than the Pope, even with the might of God behind him. Therefore Satan is stronger than God. Therefore Christians have all been worshipping the wrong guy.

All hail Satan!

But have they used Barry Scott's Cilit Bang on the stains? Everyone knows that Barry Scott is greater than the pope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I've had sleep paralysis a few times. It's surreal. But my first experience of it was kind of different.

Sleep paralysis sounds so scary to me. Think it came up in the X-Files and terrified a young GTR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Get sleep paralysis so often that it doesn't scare me any more, it's just a pain in the ass because I have to wake myself up fully to get back to sleep :o

I get this literally at least once a fortnight, it's incredibly annoying. Used to freak me the hell out but now I just lie there and wait for it to end..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I get this literally at least once a fortnight, it's incredibly annoying. Used to freak me the hell out but now I just lie there and wait for it to end..

This post taken out of context cracked me up.

Careful now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Not my story but actually Frank Skinner's the comedian who I've heard tell it as fact. Short version.

He went to the dentist to have some work done when he was a teenager. The work was extensive so he had to be sedated/given general anaesthetic. Anyway, after all is done he goes home and realises that, for the first time in his life, before or since, he has his underpants on back-to-front.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Having a big ass cockroach crawling over my foot while watching TV when I was on holidays...

/shudders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Having a big ass cockroach crawling over my foot while watching TV when I was on holidays...

/shudders
    When I was in Australia I woke up one day to find a cockroack running around inside the leg of my pjamas :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    When I was in Australia I woke up one day to find a cockroack running around inside the leg of my pjamas :eek:

Both these stories freak me out :eek:

I was woken up by a spider walking up my arm a few days ago actually.. A big hoor too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I was woken up by a spider walking up my arm a few days ago actually.. A big hoor too..

Did she deal with the spider for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Back when I was about 10 me and my friend were walking out of his driveway to go play football on the green literally on the other side of the road. As we got to the end of the driveway a man pulled out in front of us asking if we needed a lift anywhere, we said nothing and turned, running back into the house. We told his mother what happened and she went outside and he was gone. A few minutes later we were out in the front garden when he came by again, offering us a lift, this time his mam came out and started shouting at the man, telling him not to come back. About 20 minutes later we were playing football and I swear I saw him drive by again, this time with a girl in the car.

When I was 14 or so I was walking home one summer evening, the sun just setting, and I was walking alongside the beach. Now the road along the beach where I live is actually a good 15-20 metres above the beach with stairs down to it. As I was walking along the path a flash of white light blinded me for a second and at the same time I heard an extremely loud bang coming from behind me, down on the beach. I looked down to see a puff of smoke drifting away, but there was no one to be seen anywhere. My house was only a minute away and I acted as if nothing happened and just kept walking, but then a few people started rushing down the hill I lived on to see what it was, so it was obviously very loud. Even now I still have no idea what it was.

Advertisement