Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting springer into cover

Options
  • 26-08-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys , im a young and new member to both hunting and this website.
    I bought a 14 mth old male Springer Spaniel who is dropping to whistle , staying until called and coming on recall.
    The dog was never tried I got him off my Grandfather but he is not hunting cover , Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

What incentive do you provide for him to hunt the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Honestly suit up find a gud tick over woods and walk through it with the dog !

And what I mean buy that is walk trough brambles and heavy cover entice him to follow you but not on a lead , and give directions with your hand ul find soon enough u don't need to be in the cover just on the out side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fitzy_fitzy

Is he retrieving springer man ?
    If so you could get him retrieving from light cover and progress onto heavy cover.
    Getting him retrieving into the wind as much as possible.
    He will soon begin to start using his nose.
    Plant dummies in light cover get him working into the wind, hunting for dummies.
    Progress onto Heavey cover.
    Loads of praise, he will soon figure it out.
    If you could get him working with another springer, it wouldn't take long before he would following the springer in and out of cover.

A lot more lads on here, who would know more than me.
    They might post later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

If so you could get him retrieving from light cover and progress onto heavy cover.
    Plant dummies in light cover get him working into the wind, hunting for dummies.
    If you could get him working with another springer, it wouldn't take long before he would following the springer in and out of cover.

They might post later.
    This is great advice I would be using this to start him out if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hughmace

Rabbits..... Find ditches with rabbits if the dog is any good he will hunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

hughmace wrote: »

thats exactly how i got my springer goin i let off rabbits along a ditch last year and it was thick wit brambles. i started throwin in an odd stone as he.s mad for retriving once he got in there once or twice he was drilling tunnels along ditch where rabbits runs are he tears into cover himself now not a bother..rabbits are great to get a dog goin imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

+1 to that. best way to get a dog into a ditch and used to hunting is on the cent of a rabbits .best of luck with him (springer man)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Give him plenty of praise and start off small he will let you know how quick he wants to progress. Try the rabbits should tell you alot about him.

Best of luck with him and best of luck on here don't know which you will need more with.

Welcome to the nut house all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

deano2882 wrote: »
    thats exactly how i got my springer goin i let off rabbits along a ditch last year and it was thick wit brambles. i started throwin in an odd stone as he.s mad for retriving once he got in there once or twice he was drilling tunnels along ditch where rabbits runs are he tears into cover himself now not a bother..rabbits are great to get a dog goin imo...
    shotie wrote: »
    +1 to that. best way to get a dog into a ditch and used to hunting is on the cent of a rabbits .best of luck with him (springer man)
    Give him plenty of praise and start off small he will let you know how quick he wants to progress. Try the rabbits should tell you alot about him.

Best of luck with him and best of luck on here don't know which you will need more with.

Welcome to the nut house all the same.

Rabbits!

Guys seriously are you reading the main post at all !

This dog has never been tried ! So yes in the yard or Feild at home he has been sitting and staying and dropping !

Mate if u introduce ur dog to rabbits be prepared to chase Him across the country !

Have you access to a dog that does hit cover bring them out together and let them at it , with no command just enjoying them selves .

But even befor that just bring him for a hunt true brambles and get in there with him !

• Advertisement

They might post later.

That there is brilliant advice ! And can be put into work along with what I've said

Trigger you gave completely different advice yesterday then you repost what fitzy said yesterday and say do that along with what I said yesterday you told him to go walking through brambles himself with the dog then you agreewith fitzy about starting light and working up which is it id Imagine this young man is a little confused by now

snipe02 wrote: »
    Trigger you gave completely different advice yesterday then you repost what fitzy said yesterday and say do that along with what I said yesterday you told him to go walking through brambles himself with the dog then you agreewith fitzy about starting light and working up which is it id Imagine this young man is a little confused by now

I hadn seen fitzy post lad and springer man can build on what I was saying with fitzy post .

If the dogs never been in cover then walking trough cover with the dog is the simplest way of getting him comfy with the task .

Where is the contradiction . I do know one thing for sure you don't hunt rabbits with a springer if he has never been hunted befor , invade he chased , runs in!

TriggerPL wrote: »
    That there is brilliant advice ! And can be put into work along with what I've said

If ur referring to this post lad I was just agreeing with you that it is perfect advice!

And can be use with what I was saying to build the dog up to the stage of hunting game !

Start with long grass throwing tennis balls in for him let him see em first then get them in blind so he is finding something when he is hunting the grass then the dog will start to trust in the direction your hand is pointing because everytime you point him in to light coverhe finds somethig then progress onto some hedge like the garden stuff that grows low down its great for getting a dogs head down when entering cover then you can progress on to heavy cover thorn and brambles but only when the dog trusts he will find and when he enters the lighter stuff every time sit and stay is very handy here then just reduce the freaquency of the finds and progress onto scented ground and on again to ground that holds game only whenthe dog is hunting with you dropping sitting staying and most of all recalling you will have a dog thats mannerly and trusts where your putting him and will hunt anything thats in fro nt of em because he knows you put him whers the game is ,,, keep him away from brabmles at first and keep him away from rabbits first a dead rabbit might be ok to throw in when he progresses a bit ..never let your dog fail to find a tennis ball until he trusts you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

Honestly suit up find a gud tick over woods and walk through it with the dog !

And what I mean buy that is walk trough brambles and heavy cover entice him to follow you but not on a lead , and give directions with your hand ul find soon enough u don't need to be in the cover just on the out side of it

priceless !!!:p

charlie10 wrote: »
    priceless !!!:p

Have you ever tried it ? Perhaps you should try it while teaching ur dog to heel lad ! U might learn something

how do u get him to retrieve ,run around with a phesant in ur mouth ! oh i can picture u in a bomb suit ,crawling through ditchs and the springer outside looking in ha ha ! u really need to go back to the drawing board lad .

how do u get him to retrieve ,run around with a phesant in ur mouth ! oh i can picture u in a bomb suit ,crawling through ditchs and the springer outside looking in ha ha ! u really need to go back to the drawing board lad .

U need to stop watching you tube videos and relaying what ya see on hear !

Retrieving is simple thought with a tennis ball but if your dog has no confidence in cover she / he will stay out side with you!

If you walk through the cover while calling the pup it will follow for fear u will leave him / her is this clear enough or do you want me to post it on YouTube so u can relay it to who ever asks next !!!!

Ur the only man ere that can train a dog in a week !

did i say i could train a dog in a week |??:confused:

and i would be thinking that starting a pup off in a rushy field (light cover)first into the wind letting the dog go ahead of u , if u have to walk a dog at HEEL into cover there is something wrong...i think snipe has the method in that u give them retrieves first to build confidence, then get them sitting throw a ball in and send them in,then go to placing balls in the cover before hand sitiing them and sending them in blind that way they never fail and build confidence in u.

another great method i heard from a championship winner lab owner is that get a friend of urs to throw a ball in rushs/cover and let the dog mark it, then walk pup away from,while ur walking away get ur friend to pick it back up again then turn the dog and send him, he will hunt hunt hunt,then get ur friend to drop it back in as he is hunting,this will build his confidence and teach him not to give up.

• Advertisement

did i say i could train a dog in a week |??:confused:

and i would be thinking that starting a pup off in a rushy field (light cover)first into the wind letting the dog go ahead of u , if u have to walk a dog at HEEL into cover there is something wrong...i think snipe has the method in that u give them retrieves first to build confidence, then get them sitting throw a ball in and send them in,then go to placing balls in the cover before hand sitiing them and sending them in blind that way they never fail and build confidence in u.

another great method i heard from a championship winner lab owner is that get a friend of urs to throw a ball in rushs/cover and let the dog mark it, then walk pup away from,while ur walking away get ur friend to pick it back up again then turn the dog and send him, he will hunt hunt hunt,then get ur friend to drop it back in as he is hunting,this will build his confidence and teach him not to give up.

Once again if you read the post il see it not a pup it a young dog with confidence issue !

U love these championship winning trailing men don't ya

love them :D 14 months pup/young dog it makes no difference its still about building up in stages to the desired effect u want .

love them :D 14 months pup/young dog it makes no difference its still about building up in stages to the desired effect u want .

Exactly so where in my post can u point out that it doesn't or will not work .

U can't and because u can't u try to discredit it . U have no abilty to learn something new or try , Ur up the hole of loads of trailing men not taking the time to learn properly from start to finish !

Your comments on heel work prove that !
    And until you win a championship or make a Feild trial champion out of one of your dogs , in fact even win a novice or open stake , please stop starting your comments with a trailing champion told me !!

well thats funny trigger cause i sold my cocker who went on to win two novice tests and is going to be trialled in the near future :p so dont go down the road that i dont know how to get a dog to heel. i am open to new methods but im not going into cover to get a pup/young dog into it i agree rabbits are the key but some dogs there nose wont pull them into cover so i find using balls or cold game as the key to building CONFIDENCE in them , honestly think about what u said about walking through cover with ur dog it sounds retarded:D

well thats funny trigger cause i sold my cocker who went on to win two novice tests and is going to be trialled in the near future :p so dont go down the road that i dont know how to get a dog to heel. i am open to new methods but im not going into cover to get a pup/young dog into it i agree rabbits are the key but some dogs there nose wont pull them into cover so i find using balls or cold game as the key to building CONFIDENCE in them , honestly think about what u said about walking through cover with ur dog it sounds retarded:D

See there ya go again u sold a dog and the person that won the novice never done a bit with him just trailed him and won !! Then why didn you trail him !

And you agree that sending a dog into cover after rabbits is the way to go just sums it all up !

An inexperienced dog chasing rabbits around a Feild is a brilliant way to sort the problem straight off !!

Tell me straight out ! Explain how what I said would have fault , show me where there would be a problem building the dog up from what I said ! U made the comment stages ? Launching a dog into cover after rabbits would that not be last stage of training . Show me where the fault is . if ya can't then just drop the ****!

See there ya go again u sold a dog and the person that won the novice never done a bit with him just trailed him and won !! Then why didn you trail him !

And you agree that sending a dog into cover after rabbits is the way to go just sums it all up !

An inexperienced dog chasing rabbits around a Feild is a brilliant way to sort the problem straight off !!

Tell me straight out ! Explain how what I said would have fault , show me where there would be a problem building the dog up from what I said ! U made the comment stages ? Launching a dog into cover after rabbits would that not be last stage of training . Show me where the fault is . if ya can't then just drop the ****!
    3 weeks after i sold that dog he tested. and i didn't want to test or trial because first of all he was my rough shooting dog and secondly i couldn't due to career progression and didn't have the time. i said rabbits as to did other lads your just lookin for flaws in previous posts. what you said sounds ridiculous when you can just throw a tennis call in lad come on your method is teaching the dog nothing. al least throwing a ball is enhancing his drive and getting him a reward.Im surprised i had to spell it for you . if you want to see a real dog working just pm me and ill gladly show you .

3 weeks after i sold that dog he tested. and i didn't want to test or trial because first of all he was my rough shooting dog and secondly i couldn't due to career progression and didn't have the time. i said rabbits as to did other lads your just lookin for flaws in previous posts. what you said sounds ridiculous when you can just throw a tennis call in lad come on your method is teaching the dog nothing. al least throwing a ball is enhancing his drive and getting him a reward.Im surprised i had to spell it for you . if you want to see a real dog working just pm me and ill gladly show you .

I'm not searching for any flaws sending a dog that has no experience after rabbit is a bad idea and you know it !

As for throwing a ball into cover if the dog still refuses to go in , ul have to get the ball ur self anyway !

If you decide to walk through the cover the dog is not going to stay on it own and will instinctively follow !

Like u said it sound ridiculous and retarded , but that's all u have to say, u can't break it down because its idiot proof even you could do it .

And because u didn see it on a video or hear it from Alan rountree ! ( Alan roundtree the most decorated Labrador trailing man in the island , not saying this is ur source ) then it couldn't possible work !

Well my friend it does and at a very simple stage where nothing can go wrong and the dog learns that there is nothing to worrie about in brambles .

End of because life to short to be wasting my time explaining it to u !

Next time il write it in fridge magnets u might under stand it better .

I'm not searching for any flaws sending a dog that has no experience after rabbit is a bad idea and you know it !

As for throwing a ball into cover if the dog still refuses to go in , ul have to get the ball ur self anyway !

If you decide to walk through the cover the dog is not going to stay on it own and will instinctively follow !

Like u said it sound ridiculous and retarded , but that's all u have to say, u can't break it down because its idiot proof even you could do it .

And because u didn see it on a video or hear it from Alan rountree ! ( Alan roundtree the most decorated Labrador trailing man in the island , not saying this is ur source ) then it couldn't possible work !

Well my friend it does and at a very simple stage where nothing can go wrong and the dog learns that there is nothing to worrie about in brambles .

End of because life to short to be wasting my time explaining it to u !

Next time il write it in fridge magnets u might under stand it better .
    from the way you spell you might need a hand with that too you idiot

• Advertisement

from the way you spell you might need a hand with that too you idiot

Predictive text + plus typing to fast Charlie . Good to see your a grammar teacher in your spare time !!

And resorting to name calling tut tut !
    School yard tactics .

What's that still can defunk what I first posted .

Let us know when ya selling another one of you champion dogs !

Advertisement