Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting springer into cover

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Predictive text + plus typing to fast Charlie . Good to see your a grammar teacher in your spare time !!

And resorting to name calling tut tut !
    School yard tactics .

What's that still can defunk what I first posted .

Let us know when ya selling another one of you champion dogs !

well if the dogs you buy have to watch there owner jumping into ditchs they definitely won't be champions.are we friends again so ya . i enjoyed that now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

charlie10 wrote: »
    well if the dogs you buy have to watch there owner jumping into ditchs they definitely won't be champions.are we friends again so ya . i enjoyed that now .

Only time will tell if they will be ! Suppose so even if your as tick as the ditch ur springer try to get into !

Only time will tell if they will be ! Suppose so even if your as tick as the ditch ur springer try to get into !

thick with a h lad . tick is what you dog gets stuck to him

charlie10 wrote: »
    thick with a h lad . tick is what you dog gets stuck to him

ok sorry lets be friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

In fairness trigger it sounds a bit nuts ive heard of waiking through long grass with young pups but getting suited up and walking through briars no thanks ... I understand if your ego wont let you admit it its ok. I like your posts and you know your stuff but this one I dont get im only learning myself like everyone and I believe everyday is a school day when it comes dogs hunting fishing life etc I never stop learning ,,, and the only thing ive got going for me is I know I know fek all no need to be insulting lads now give it up the two of ye or ye will have to write a 100 lines each or maybe a 1000 word essay on getting a springer into cover

• Advertisement

snipe02 wrote: »
    In fairness trigger it sounds a bit nuts ive heard of waiking through long grass with young pups but getting suited up and walking through briars no thanks ... I understand if your ego wont let you admit it its ok. I like your posts and you know your stuff but this one I dont get im only learning myself like everyone and I believe everyday is a school day when it comes dogs hunting fishing life etc I never stop learning ,,, and the only thing ive got going for me is I know I know fek all no need to be insulting lads now give it up the two of ye or ye will have to write a 100 lines each or maybe a 1000 word essay on getting a springer into cover

Lad I wasn't suggesting you suit up in Kevlar , put on ur rough shooting clothes and bring the dog for a run in an old type forestry that has bracken and brambles along the floor of it , the type that up to ur knees but covers most of the dog if ya get me . Not drag urself belly first into black thorn .

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

Honestly suit up find a gud tick over woods and walk through it with the dog !

And what I mean buy that is walk trough brambles and heavy cover entice him to follow you but not on a lead , and give directions with your hand ul find soon enough u don't need to be in the cover just on the out side of it

i can see where your comeing from lad in fact ive done something near enough the same with my own droper 2 year ago she wouldnt touch or go into water .so what i done was stood in the middle of a small pond with water not even touching the top of a wellie boot and called her in telling her what a good dog she was and all doing this for a while she started walking behind me in the water and now too this day all i have to do is tell her in and she flys through water .i have done something kinda the same with her again only with a beet field she would only hunt the outside not go into it so i done the same thing called her in gave her loads of praise work with her on it for a while .just tell her in now and she flys through it. so walking through things like beet,kale fields with her and through the water deff helped her out if i didnt she still wouldnt touch water .

shotie wrote: »
    i can see where your comeing from lad in fact ive done something near enough the same with my own droper 2 year ago she wouldnt touch or go into water .so what i done was stood in the middle of a small pond with water not even touching the top of a wellie boot and called her in telling her what a good dog she was and all doing this for a while she started walking behind me in the water and now too this day all i have to do is tell her in and she flys through water .i have done something kinda the same with her again only with a beet field she would only hunt the outside not go into it so i done the same thing called her in gave her loads of praise work with her on it for a while .just tell her in now and she flys through it. so walking through things like beet,kale fields with her and through the water deff helped her out if i didnt she still wouldnt touch water .

Well done lad , it same principal , biggest problem is lads turn to books and DVDs .

Instead of making a mug of tea , and thinking right how do I sort this for my dog . Happy hunting lad

Ps where u 3 day ago haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

Have done the same with water myself and kale and beat can just look like a wall dog just needs to learn it goes in further plus water and kale pain free but big difference with trying to get a 14 month old springer to be hitting hunting cover by walking through it with him with no reward hed be thinking ya can stay doin it yourself ,,,, plus big difference between a bit of light ground cover and heavy briars plus the fact you said suit up which gave the impression of your gonna get shredded otherwise ..seemed an awkward way to go about getting and dog to hit cover and was very amusing at the same time it wasnt a personal attack on you or your ability but thats how I seen and called it ..

i get what ur saying now triggs buddy but i also got a different impression when i heard suit up! thats why i said rushy field .dare i say the trial lads think cover is rushs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

To the OP post this is such a hard one. 2 the 2 guys having it out, each to their own. I personally would take on board every thing a true hunter tells me and take that info into a Context take I can use. Personally and TBH I have given away dogs that have not made the grade. Some guys find it hard other not so. I remember a dog that some one I should have trusted told me not to keep any more, but I did. In the end i had to lose him. Lovely dog but just did not make the grade. Hunt heavy cover and tired easily. The dog I own now is from one of the most intelagent, hard hunting dogs I ever owned. First time I seen his father I thought where is this guy going with this mut. No papers, kinda sloppy and obedient half the time but I feel would never ever leave a bird behind. He suited what i done and hunter. i guess a trail guy may laught at him but then again how many woodcock does a trail guy hunt the type of land i hunt. If that dog hunted cover you could be 99% sure no bird, woodcock, Pheasant for me, would be in there. Any way I am sure if any one Here went with each other hunting an enjoyable day would be had. Some days I go out and only shoot one or two, if any! Birds. And enjoy the day. That's what it's all about. The day, the dog, the gun, the company, the weather the location. It is a long and gradual learning curve to be enjoyed, Frustrating as it can be. If I could pick every bit of advice from, trailers, rough shooters, driven day guys, books, I would have the best gun, dog and shot in the land, Unfortunately I can't, I do the best I can, likewise do the best you can, it's a learning curve.

First post in hunting. BTW so hopefully all get my meaning and I don't get slated!

Safe hunting!

breanach78 wrote: »
    To the OP post this is such a hard one. 2 the 2 guys having it out, each to their own. I personally would take on board every thing a true hunter tells me and take that info into a Context take I can use. Personally and TBH I have given away dogs that have not made the grade. Some guys find it hard other not so. I remember a dog that some one I should have trusted told me not to keep any more, but I did. In the end i had to lose him. Lovely dog but just did not make the grade. Hunt heavy cover and tired easily. The dog I own now is from one of the most intelagent, hard hunting dogs I ever owned. First time I seen his father I thought where is this guy going with this mut. No papers, kinda sloppy and obedient half the time but I feel would never ever leave a bird behind. He suited what i done and hunter. i guess a trail guy may laught at him but then again how many woodcock does a trail guy hunt the type of land i hunt. If that dog hunted cover you could be 99% sure no bird, woodcock, Pheasant for me, would be in there. Any way I am sure if any one Here went with each other hunting an enjoyable day would be had. Some days I go out and only shoot one or two, if any! Birds. And enjoy the day. That's what it's all about. The day, the dog, the gun, the company, the weather the location. It is a long and gradual learning curve to be enjoyed, Frustrating as it can be. If I could pick every bit of advice from, trailers, rough shooters, driven day guys, books, I would have the best gun, dog and shot in the land, Unfortunately I can't, I do the best I can, likewise do the best you can, it's a learning curve.

First post in hunting. BTW so hopefully all get my meaning and I don't get slated!

Safe hunting!

well said i suppose we are all after the perfect package and i don't know if it can be got. i have moved on dogs that i thought wouldnt make the grade too otherwise the doubt will always be in your head and id rather come home with no birds knowing that the ditchs and covers that were covered by the dogs had nothin in them. that doubtwas in my head with my pointer hence his sale

Advertisement