Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Independent a tabloid newspaper?

Options
  • 25-08-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    As of late I have noticed the independent newspaper(online) has become merely a 'goss' tabloid. I'd say 70per cent of the front page is stories about celebrities and 'socialites', that poor girl in peru has been front page news every day for the last week, seems a bit much when there is so much other things going in Ireland and worldwide. Its a shame really that it has gone this way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lufties wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As of late I have noticed the independent newspaper(online) has become merely a 'goss' tabloid. I'd say 70per cent of the front page is stories about celebrities and 'socialites', that poor girl in peru has been front page news every day for the last week, seems a bit much when there is so much other things going in Ireland and worldwide. Its a shame really that it has gone this way.

It was never good, but the last 10-15 years have seen a major dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Yeah, its a lot closer to the star than the times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Hi all,

Eh, no sympathy for her tbh.

The Indo has gone downmarket over the last few years though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone care?
    Who actually buys the out of date once it is printed paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Eh, no sympathy for her tbh.

The Indo has gone downmarket over the last few years though.

I find the articles about that 'celebrity' solicitor particularly hilarious, kinda seems like that fella is holding on to his other half by getting her in the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes I think it has become a lot more tabloidy in the past few years. It competes for market with the Daily Mail so has tried to emulate it a lot more, especially since it launched an Irish edition a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

is there any decent newspaper to be got anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I wouldn't even use it as toilet paper.

Although then again, I wouldn't use any newspaper as toilet paper. It'd be extremely uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah the Independent is effectively a tabloid newspaper.

But in saying that, the quality of all newspapers has gone seriously downhill, including the Irish Times.

If I was buying the print version, I'd still buy the Times though. Online, I use a variety of sources including Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its very trashy to be honest. I find the Irish Times report the news in a factual manner whilst the Indo is more opinion and spin based.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tomatosauce34

Its very trashy to be honest. I find the Irish Times report the news in a factual manner whilst the Indo is more opinion and spin based.

I agree. Irish Times and the Irish Examiner are the only decent papers left in this country. The Times(UK) isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's just full of Z list, Irish 'celebrities' and articles about Amy Huberman's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

thats exactly why i generally dont bother with it, last week there was an article about another property boom, pure propaganda and spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Real Life wrote: »
    is there any decent newspaper to be got anymore?

Sunday Business Post. But its all a bit up in the air atm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Although then again, I wouldn't use any newspaper as toilet paper. It'd be extremely uncomfortable.

And it's already full of shite anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's literally a tabloid now (as well as figuratively) since they done away with the broadsheet format

Just look at the description on Wiki
    Political Alignment -
    • Fianna Fáil
    • Populist
    • Conservative
    • Right-wing
    • Anti-Sinn Féin

Civil-War obsessed maniacs

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Its dreadful these days. And that Niamh Horan clown has to be one of the worst pretenders in Irish journalism. She's mad for embelishing ridiculous non-stories like the Slane girl thing and the two rugby lads that both shagged some bird they met in coppers. This kind of crap is somehow newsworthy these days!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Il Trap wrote: »
    Its dreadful these days. And that Niamh Horan clown has to be one of the worst pretenders in Irish journalism. She's mad for embelishing ridiculous non-stories like the Slane girl thing and the two rugby lads that both shagged some bird they met in coppers. This kind of crap is somehow newsworthy these days!!?

Definitely a tabloid nowadays. Where I work we have to sort through the daily newspapers and the Indo appears to be striving to outdo itself day to day with its celebrity 'headlines' and photos.

Having said that, I can't think of any worthy Irish newspapers anymore, and have long stopped buying The Irish Times (the mishaps over the last couple of years have done away with any notion of them being the 'paper of record' as well as a general decline in their journalism).

As for any decent newspapers, I still buy the Guardian (although I'm well aware of its faults and that it's not to everyone's tastes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's got Kevin Myers writing for it, that's enough awfulness to not even bother questioning if it is tabloid or not, and just avoid the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

AnonoBoy wrote: »

You need to crumple it up a few times, dampen it under the tap and give it a bit of a microwaving (preferably pre-poo).

Desperate times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I find you never get a complete story when reading the Irish Times, they are too worried about upsetting or stigmatising the people or groups they are writing about. Some of the columnists inhabit la la land.

thats exactly why i generally dont bother with it, last week there was an article about another property boom, pure propaganda and spin.

...this week there's articles about IBIZA. Because apparently stuff goes on there....

....then theres the yearly "Irish people and Sex" special....the ever popular "IRISH TEENS AND SEX" focus......

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I find you never get a complete story when reading the Irish Times, they are too worried about upsetting or stigmatising the people or groups they are writing about. Some of the columnists inhabit la la land.

....for instance.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Irish Independent has this property story today trying to promote another bubble and there was a load of comments at the bottom from people telling the true story and now the comments are all gone.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/huge-dublin-property-surge-sparks-frenetic-bids-29525685.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The Indo has been a tabloid for about the past 15 years.

They recently signed Paul Williams, they've reached the Tabloid pinnacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

Nodin wrote: »
    ....for instance.............

John Waters?

The Indo is muck though.

Galaxie wrote: »
    John Waters?.

He doesn't worry about stigmatising people (women, people who don't come out with a conservative version of hippy mumbo jumbo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

Nodin wrote: »
    He doesn't worry about stigmatising people (women, people who don't come out with a conservative version of hippy mumbo jumbo).

Ah, I thought you were asking about the ones in la la land.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Its a tabloid rag masquerading as a broadsheet to satiate the middle class who otherwise wouldn't want to be caught with a red top. Full of trashy celebrity, pop culture and 'opinion' pieces only there to stir controversy.

The Times is a superior paper, if only they would axe that deranged John Waters from his regular column.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Got the Examiner a few times, now and again they do a pick a subject and spend 3 days on it. Super writing.

Though for the rest of it I thought I was reading a Cork local paper!

Advertisement