Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Independent a tabloid newspaper?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Got the Examiner a few times, now and again they do a pick a subject and spend 3 days on it. Super writing.

Though for the rest of it I thought I was reading a Cork local paper!

.....my brain still refers to it as "The Cork Examiner".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Does it still have that guy Ian something? One of these 'I tell it like it is' wankpockets?

Does it still have that guy Ian something? One of these 'I tell it like it is' wankpockets?

......yep. It and the Sindo have a fair few untalented "tell it like it is" merchants between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

This lardarse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Aw lord he's some dose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

When I'm around I buy the Indo (Mon-Sat),the opinion segments tend to have writers from different points of veiw, Martina Devlin and David Quinn etc.

Sindo makes the eyes bleed and I stick to the Sunday Times.

Ireland is too small a market to cater exclusively to one political ideology.

Nodin wrote: »
    ......yep. It and the Sindo have a fair few untalented "tell it like it is" merchants between them.
    marketty wrote: »
    Aw lord he's some dose

That's the one. Anyone who's job is to tell it like it is, in plain speaking, without mincing their words, with no heed to political correctness, who calls a spade a spade etc is basically someone paid to say things other people are too intelligent to say.

Richard Littlejohn, Barbara Ellen, Jeremy Clarkson etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

That's the one. Anyone who's job is to tell it like it is, in plain speaking, without mincing their words, with no heed to political correctness, who calls a spade a spade etc is basically someone paid to say things other people are too intelligent to say.

The only people worse than those c***s are the people who admire them for "shooting from the lip".
    Are you maybe referring to Mary Ellen Synon rather than Barbara Ellen though? Apologies if not. Wasn't aware of Barbara being one of those type gimps however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I know everyone's saying it's been going downhill for ages, but I think it's taken a massive dive in the last two years alone. The amount of "celeb" gossip, pointless real life stories ("It's taboo to admit it, but I have a favourite child" and "I lost half my body weight!" spring to mind) and biased articles has hugely increased even since 2010/2011. Getting rid of the "broadsheet" edition and revamping the website to look like the Mail shows that they're not even pretending anymore...

Never liked the Sunday one (badly laid-out and full of non-stories) but I used to like the regular one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

The Indo is absolutely a tabloid, no question about it. The times is a decent paper and hopefully stays that way. My ideal definition of a 'proper' paper would be:
    No more than 2 pages of sports coverage, unless there is a seriously unique event like Ireland winning the World Cup or Shergar reaching the Wimbledon final.
    Absolutely no reference to any living celebrity unless they are up on a murder charge or accidentally cure cancer.
    Not one column inch to be given over to fashion/homeware/lifestyle crap, aka 'women's interest'. Sexist, vapid, scutter.

O and it should be really big,bigger than a broadsheet. Like bedsheet big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't get the appeal in having the papers so large mind. Just makes they tedious to turn the page on, and awkward to carry around. but I gave up on physical newspapers a long, long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

lufties wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As of late I have noticed the independent newspaper(online) has become merely a 'goss' tabloid. I'd say 70per cent of the front page is stories about celebrities and 'socialites', that poor girl in peru has been front page news every day for the last week, seems a bit much when there is so much other things going in Ireland and worldwide. Its a shame really that it has gone this way.

How could anyone consider that rag a newspaper, as for it's sister paper the Herald, jaysus the clowns that write for that rag, right wing loolaghs, especially the retired clowns from other professions. (if you get my drift)

The only people worse than those c***s are the people who admire them for "shooting from the lip".
    Are you maybe referring to Mary Ellen Synon rather than Barbara Ellen though? Apologies if not. Wasn't aware of Barbara being one of those type gimps however.

Barbara Ellen is utterly unhinged. She's the misandrist equivalent of Littlejohn. Says provocative crap to garner clicks on the Guardian. Here's her latest piece, where, oddly - she's is sticking up for women. she even sticks up for female paedophiles sometimes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/25/peru-women-drugs-press-badgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Barbara Ellen is utterly unhinged. She's the misandrist equivalent of Littlejohn. Says provocative crap to garner clicks on the Guardian. Here's her latest piece, where, oddly - she's is sticking up for women. she even sticks up for female paedophiles sometimes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/25/peru-women-drugs-press-badgers
    Ah ok, I'm not familiar with her other than when she wrote for NME or Melody Maker years ago. Thankfully. Thought she seemed a bit of a hag back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Real Life wrote: »
    is there any decent newspaper to be got anymore?

The Irish Examiner improved a lot and isn't bad - The Guardian and the UK Independent are good papers too

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know everyone's saying it's been going downhill for ages, but I think it's taken a massive dive in the last two years alone. The amount of "celeb" gossip, pointless real life stories ("It's taboo to admit it, but I have a favourite child" and "I lost half my body weight!" spring to mind) and biased articles has hugely increased even since 2010/2011. Getting rid of the "broadsheet" edition and revamping the website to look like the Mail shows that they're not even pretending anymore...

Never liked the Sunday one (badly laid-out and full of non-stories) but I used to like the regular one...

...it should be pointed out that it was never that good. I remember 25 years ago or so it was staunchly FG. Might as well have had the party logo on the front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Its like the Daily Fail for people who like to think they are intelligent.

Its the metro herald for people too posh to go on the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

lufties wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As of late I have noticed the independent newspaper(online) has become merely a 'goss' tabloid. I'd say 70per cent of the front page is stories about celebrities and 'socialites', that poor girl in peru has been front page news every day for the last week, seems a bit much when there is so much other things going in Ireland and worldwide. Its a shame really that it has gone this way.

Not sure what to make of the Indo these days (apart from it being significantly inferior to the Irish Times), but what's with all the "that poor girl in Peru" pish? She was caught bang to rights smuggling cocaine FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

What a crock

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just reading an Irish independent article about a "crazed gunman"
    No-one was injured in this incident and the gunman left the pub but as he walked out, he fired back at the premises and a doorman was hit.

The doorman who is aged 45 and originally from Co Carlow was taken to St Vincent's University Hospital. His injuries are not life-threatening.

The standard of writing in the Indo is getting shoddier by the month. I do think it is definitely a tabloid newspaper but even other tabloids have less errors.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crazed-gunman-opens-fire-on-dancers-in-pub-30339551.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement