Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Wexford 2 Day August 17th -18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

Back to the original thread and one for WW..

The stage3 course was great. Those short sharp hills made it way more interesting. Any chance it could be used for the Frank O'Rourke? I guess the right hand turns make it problematic but could it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Platform Web

Quick note of thanks to all at Wexford Wheelers and Stafford Wholesale. Congrats to Michael Noonan and all concerned for a great 2-day. When I first caught wind of the race on this very thread many weeks back it was easy to get a few guys from Limerick CC down to it. 5 of us traveled in total to race. We were delighted to do so as we had a stage win on the final day, a 5th place on Stage 1, and a joint 4th on stage 2, and finally a 2nd in the overall, all in the A2/A3 race. The start/finish area was great and the routes were well thought out, and very well marshaled. Well done to Staffords and the co-sponsors for being involved, we ran national Youths Champs last year here in Limerick and we did not have the luxury of a sponsor which would have helped us enormously, it too was an organisational coup being run over 2 days to include Crit, TT and RR for boys and girls at each U/age level. We have this week put the video footage and our own race report on our website; www.limerickcc.com We'll be down in force again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Thank You Limerick .

Could I change the thread a little now please lads. The GC issues are nearly 100 % sorted to the satisfaction of all. Literally one more query to look at. I want to ask for ur feedback on the courses.

We found ourselves on the stage 1 circuit again tonight, for our league race. and we held our league the Thursday night before the weekend 2 day.

Realy seeking feedback on this :

What did u think of the stage 1 circuit ?

and stage 2 ? and stage 3 ? .

Particularily interested in your stage 3 answers.

WE are receiving comments about how safe you felt the circuit was. While at the same time challenging without being too difficult.

My concern area for stage 3 was the quarry entrance area an the size of the peleton going through. The quarry entrance was where u dipped in stage 3 before the final ascent.

How did u feel the peleton handled that area ?

Credit for the circuit goes to Wexford Wheelers Nigel Allen who showed me the Adamstown route a few months back, and it matched the criteria from John Dempsey in Carrick for content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

I thought all three stages were excellent. If I was to make any suggestion with regard to them it would be to maybe run the long stage on day one, and both the TT and shorter stage on day two.

I don't think there was any problem with the A2/A3 bunch around the second loop on stage 3 at any time. A few panic brakers on the hill down towards the quarry, but that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

michael196 wrote: »

Realy seeking feedback on this :

What did u think of the stage 1 circuit ?

and stage 2 ? and stage 3 ? .

Particularily interested in your stage 3 answers.

WE are receiving comments about how safe you felt the circuit was. While at the same time challenging without being too difficult.

My concern area for stage 3 was the quarry entrance area an the size of the peleton going through. The quarry entrance was where u dipped in stage 3 before the final ascent.

How did u feel the peleton handled that area ?

Credit for the circuit goes to Wexford Wheelers Nigel Allen who showed me the Adamstown route a few months back, and it matched the criteria from John Dempsey in Carrick for content.

Stage 1 was fine, good opener, just get rid of the weather ;)

Stage 2, personally I'd prefer an all out climb, ie. no flatish sections in it.

Stage 3, loved it :), our group let loose on the last figure of eight and it was pedal-to-da-metal racing, everyone who finished worked their socks off to reform before the finish, ie. it was strung out on those steep climbs. Get rid of those potholes on the descent of those climbs though, fairly hairy!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Loved all 3 Stages, but especially stage 3, really was a great route. The TT was a lot harder for me than it looked on paper, and when I did a drive up it before the TT. I had planned to Big Ring lower hill then change down for last section but abandoned that half way up lower slope. Interested to hear other riders takes on that.

I personally didn't like the run into the finish but have heard no one else saying that, maybe it was just me as I made a hash of it in both A4 stages. Fantastic event and I'll be there next year for sure.

Micheal Noonan Wexford Wheelers and Staffords Wholesale deserve a huge amount of thanks from all, they have basically set the bar for other race organisers to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Yep, stage three was the best, great racing. The first drag strung the bunch out going into the quarry descent so it was safe, albeit reasonably technical and fast. I know one chap lost control and clipped a car before riding into a gate (he did well to stay up) but it certainly wasn't an issue of crowding on the road, he was right at the tete de la course, there were only a handful of us there, he just took the bend badly or lost concentration.

I know right hand turns are not de rigeur for races but I'd love to race on a route which is four laps of the quarry circuit and leaving out the main road altogether. Could it be done in reverse I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Found stage 1 to be a good indicator of what you guys had in store for us with a couple of hills in there which didn't split the bunch up as much as I was expecting. It could've done without the rain though, but can't have it every way!

Really enjoyed stage 2, especially the final section of climbing after the flat section. I didn't find the TT as hard as it looked on paper, but it still provided a challenge (wouldn't mind it being a bit more difficult, but don't know what hills in the area could be used in its place).

After the first run through of stage 3, I was in love with it, excellent roads, and an excellent extension of stage 1 with the two sharp climbs coming in rapid succession. Too bad there are not many hilly open races like this...Found that the A4 peloton handled the turn at the quarry rather well, at no point did I feel in danger, probably due to the fact that everyone had advance notice that this was there so we were all well aware of it! Would be tempted just to spin down and ride the stage 3 route again just for "****s and giggles", being up in Dublin makes that sort of problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Yep, stage three was the best, great racing. The first drag strung the bunch out going into the quarry descent so it was safe, albeit reasonably technical and fast. I know one chap lost control and clipped a car before riding into a gate (he did well to stay up) but it certainly wasn't an issue of crowding on the road, he was right at the tete de la course, there were only a handful of us there, he just took the bend badly or lost concentration.

I know right hand turns are not de rigeur for races but I'd love to race on a route which is four laps of the quarry circuit and leaving out the main road altogether. Could it be done in reverse I wonder?

I must show Michael another route that has the two quarry circuit hills in it and another couple of hills just like them but it would be a savage hard circuit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

fondriest wrote: »
    I must show Michael another route that has the two quarry circuit hills in it and another couple of hills just like them but it would be a savage hard circuit .
    I would say bring it on. If the TT showed anything it's that there are plenty of lads in A4 who can climb at a good level. There must be demand for that type of circuit, especially at this time of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

If you could bring a circuit like this at this time of season, I'll be there with bells on!

yes would like to see. Don't like to bore people with the same circuit year after year.

I was only shown that Quarry road just about 2 months ago. . We also originally had a sting finish for stage three that could bring you back to where the TT ended , back up to concorde. but the marsahling movement would be very difficult to achieve.

But quite a few suggestions coming in, regarding reversing directions etc. all to be considered. I reckon there will be changes for the better for 2014.

dermo1990 wrote: »
    If you could bring a circuit like this at this time of season, I'll be there with bells on!

one thing I have learned , and no doubt our neighbouring clubs must learn , is make the course difficult but not impossible.

Make it too diffiicult and the riders wont return. Sound like we hit the right level of difficult / challenge.

Again the advice of Marcofan on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

yes would like to see. Don't like to bore people with the same circuit year after year.

I was only shown that Quarry road just about 2 months ago. . We also originally had a sting finish for stage three that could bring you back to where the TT ended , back up to concorde. but the marsahling movement would be very difficult to achieve.

Also really hard circuit for a crit using the new road at the rugby club and the old hospital road .

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Is this the TT where some guy saw another guy having a mechanical and so gave him his own bike to finish?
    Quality bit of comeradory #spiritoftheweekend

On the sportsmanship theme, I was in the yellow jersey on the third stage(A4). On the last hill i dropped my chain and someone went into the back of me and smashed my rear deraileur (not their fault).
    2 different guy one from Dublin wheelers stopped and offered me their bikes. 1 had shimano pedals and the other some old look system. I use the the standard look system so neither would fit. My race was over, but i was blown away by the 2 lads and the lads in the support car.

Day off on the Sean Kelly Tour tomorrow.

Out Marshalling at the Nat youths champs today.

On the sportsmanship theme, I was in the yellow jersey on the third stage(A4). On the last hill i dropped my chain and someone went into the back of me and smashed my rear deraileur (not their fault).
    2 different guy one from Dublin wheelers stopped and offered me their bikes. 1 had shimano pedals and the other some old look system. I use the the standard look system so neither would fit. My race was over, but i was blown away by the 2 lads and the lads in the support car.

Good story.

A good Friend of the Race and Friend of Wexford Wheelers Sean Rowe of Wexford, today gave me 4 x Cd-R's containing 400 high quality images form last weekend.

Just one of me staring downwards at my mobile, anaware of the picture been taken.

I put a small sample up on www.wexfordwheelers.com and I have sent some by mail.

I will do my best post publicly somewhere. A Lot of smiling faces in the pics.

• Advertisement

You could create a www.pix.ie account, they have connections to boards.ie, and then upload the pics, if Sean doesn't mind people downloading them ?!

Day off on the Sean Kelly Tour tomorrow.

Out Marshalling at the Nat youths champs today.

horrendous SKT.

Rim blew out about 3 miles out form Carrick on Suir. At first thought it was a puncture, which I thought was odd as I use Conti 4 seasons, which never fail untill they re almost bald, turned the bike up, and saw 18 inches of the top 3 ml of the rim, Gone !! Mavic Krysium Elites

First for me.

Crossed the road, and a car coming up pulled in for me ,and I kid you not three American Amish girls in the full amish gear heading towards kilmeaden were in the car.

Anyhow Barry Meehan Worldwide Cycles Clonmel came along in a service van, and brought me back to my car in Dungarvan, where I had a spare wheel, then solo spin onto Ballymacarbery to rejoin the Tour.

Quick interview of course with Barry on the Recent Stafford Wholesale Wexford two day. All my woes.

Onto Bally mac, and up,to Rathgromack. Food and on to Mahon. En route , one lad spotting the Wexford Jersey, asked was I in the Wex 2 day, and I answered technically I was, and that certainly we had issues. on the day. I asked if he had his time etc and he seemed happy to tell me his thoughts. Then he asked if my name was Michael, said it was, and then he asked was my name Michael Noonan, ahhh yes. Somehow the conversation ended there !!!

Absolutely shattered, on mahon, I began to realise that I was still exhausted from the Wex 2 day and no amount of food was going to boost my flagging speeds today. I resorted to walking up Mahon for a few hundred meters.

Eventually coming up Mama, I began to recover and some strength was coming back. Heading Down Colligan and a Dungarvan rider overtook and the chase was on. Bit of a speed thrill to end the tour for 2013.

Onto the beara Peininsula next for the Rebl tour in September.

Made it back , all safe and sound.

You could create a www.pix.ie account, they have connections to boards.ie, and then upload the pics, if Sean doesn't mind people downloading them ?!

thanks for that . will do.

Onto Bally mac, and up,to Rathgromack. Food and on to Mahon. En route , one lad spotting the Wexford Jersey, asked was I in the Wex 2 day, and I answered technically I was, and that certainly we had issues. on the day. I asked if he had his time etc and he seemed happy to tell me his thoughts. Then he asked if my name was Michael, said it was, and then he asked was my name Michael Noonan, ahhh yes. Somehow the conversation ended there !!!

LOL that was me, and I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. We were chatting away and then you said you had to fall back as the pace was ramping up before Mahon Falls so I said good-luck and took off after my clubmates. I certainly have no issue with you or how the Wex2Day went, it was all a very good experience in my book ;)

LOL that was me, and I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. We were chatting away and then you said you had to fall back as the pace was ramping up before Mahon Falls so I said good-luck and took off after my clubmates. I certainly have no issue with you or how the Wex2Day went, it was all a very good experience in my book ;)

thats true. I did drop back.

guess i did want to chat some more, but yep i did drop back !!

nearly caught u again on mahon !!

Nice meeting you Morrissee.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Hmmm, I think Michael just got a dose of the Mod naughty stick.

hmm........ both videos down.

I have been sticked or is that stucked ? or modded ?

check out Wexfordwheelers.com

scroll back a few pages

Now SLo !!!

Listen up here now. after u finish ur season, Take a few weeks off, 1 month, take a complete break, and start back again November time frame.

ya hear me now ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hmm........ both videos down.
    I have been sticked or is that stucked ? or modded ?
    Nothing so bad, I edited your post so that the youtube video popped up on the page, you had it as a URL which wasn't working properly for some reason. Unfortunately now the video is gone completely for some reason. PM me the link and I can stick it back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Now SLo !!!

Listen up here now. after u finish ur season, Take a few weeks off, 1 month, take a complete break, and start back again November time frame.

ya hear me now ?[/QUOTE]

Finished the season in Kilmallock yesterday and broke my duck :-) Fifth place in a sprint finish (after leading it out from 400 or 500 metres :eek: )
    I think it made the 6.01 news with Nico Roches exploits :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement