Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wexford 2 Day August 17th -18th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 taddles

Great 3 days in Wexford, very well organised and a credit to the club for organising.

I would share the thoughts mentioned above regarding timing. Clocked my TT on the Garmin yesterday and the timing chip had me 4seconds slower. I would have little confidence on my overall position being correct at all.

All in all a great event but sort out the timing issues for next year please.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭25sean

any gc results?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Great weekend of racing, unfortunately the most important aspect of the entire weekend was disappointing.

Multiple issues and in some cases no rider times at all. Great event but difficult to have confidence in a system that only functions sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

That was my first stage race and i really enjoyed it.

I had a tough day Saturday being abnormally afraid of slippy surfaces and crashing in the rain. But a very well behaved A4 bunch ensured all survived.

If I'm honest I struggled a bit on both main stages. A good few weeks since I last raced and holidays in between took their toll. Got a couple of tows to keep me on today. Much appreciated.

Organisation was top notch. Well done folks. Looking forward to doing better next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

on the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't see why the timing chips were necessary for the road stages, the race seems to have been well served with cameras so with CI numbers there should have been no timing issues.

Other than that, a really good event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

Obviously, timing issues were no fun, but I wasn't anywhere near the top of the results, so it didn't really matter to me. :D

Great weekend Michael, well put together. The courses were tough but safe, marshalling was great, but it was the little things that made it - the masseuse in the hall, the ice cream, the weather - on stage 3! Have a couple of suggestions for minor improvements, I'll email them on to you.

Mixed bag for me - I'd only raced Suir Valley since the A1 upgrade, and that had a big bunch to shelter in. Stage 1's wind and rain and rolling terrain was brutal, and I ended up in a fail group. Plan was to roll around the last 10km to warm down for the TT, but the commissaire told us the A2/3 race was nearly on us, and we thought that meant we'd be classed as DNF, so had to put the hammer down. Joe C did a mammoth share of the work - so much so that even as we rolled over the line side by side, he managed to gain a minute on me in the results! :pac:

Stage 2 was good, but not great. Left the hotel with about 15mins to cover less than a km to sign-on, but for some reason turned the wrong way as I came out the gate. Was beginning to wonder why it didn't seem this long in the car, when I arrived at a village... 6km in the wrong direction. Pedalled like hell to get back, great warm-up! Just didn't manage to give it everything in the final km.

Stage 3... arrived at sign-on with 20mins, no warm-up, attacks went from the gun. Did my stint off the front at the 1km mark for about 2km, but nobody came across. Flurry of more attacks, and Robin Kelly and the lads from UCD went up the road. No chasing, just more attacks, and I knew I was in the fail group again. Called it a day, after 9.5km. Enjoyed watching the lads come through in the sun, see what it's like from the other side of the fence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

First stage race for me also, did the A4. Fair play to Michael and the rest of the guys, they did a fantastic job.

Only gripe i have was with the timing, did not get a time for stage 1 or 3, and now have been completely removed from GC, mentioned it to precision timing both yesterday and this morning re stage 1 and they said they would add me manually but nothing sorted yet.

makker wrote: »
    First stage race for me also, did the A4. Fair play to Michael and the rest of the guys, they did a fantastic job.

Only gripe i have was with the timing, did not get a time for stage 1 or 3, and now have been completely removed from GC, mentioned it to precision timing both yesterday and this morning re stage 1 and they said they would add me manually but nothing sorted yet.

Only gripe? That's pretty major in my opinion, nice to have ice cream and music but no times in a stage race is not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Only gripe? That's pretty major in my opinion, nice to have ice cream and music but no times in a stage race is not on.

TBF it was special go faster protein ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

ericzeking wrote: »
    Its a bit odd the way they are doing the timing on the road stages with everyone getting exact times as opposed to groups getting the same time

Does that not also make it more dangerous as idiots push through right to the line to gain a second or two - is that not why UCI rules state everyone in the bunch get the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

onimpulse wrote: »
    Does that not also make it more dangerous as idiots push through right to the line to gain a second or two - is that not why UCI rules state everyone in the bunch get the same time?

Michael already mentioned everyone would be getting the same time for GC.
    michael196 wrote: »
    Group timings will be Used . We don't want unnecessary sprinting. What you are seeing is the Raw Data spat out live from the chips to the Internet.

Grouping applies as subsequent processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭531

Michael, get off the computer and go and get some sleep, or go for a pint or whatever you do...... then congratulate yourself. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think the timing issue was because some guy tried to do a 'GreenEdge Bus' on the start/finish line !! I'm not sure if he damaged his bike but one of his wheels was in bits.

First stage race for me, A4, did well the first day, 7th, but what rain we had, unbelievable, my left eye is still sore. Fair play to the peloton as we all stayed upright.

Stage 2, very disappointing for me, didn't judge the technical hill climb at all, I was all over the shop with my effort/gearing!

Stage 3, yay sunshine, it all kicked off on the last figure of 8 and those climbs (& those potholes), cramp kicked in on one of them and it reared it's ugly head as I began my sprint, so instead of the turbo boosters kicking in, I ended up pedaling backwards !

Great weekend though, a great learning experience. Fair play to Michael & the lads/lassies for all their efforts ;)

michael196 wrote: »

What exactly is this? Is this final GC?

531 wrote: »
    Michael, get off the computer and go and get some sleep, or go for a pint or whatever you do...... then congratulate yourself. Well done.

back to Dublin at 6 am ........three rock here I come !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭ericzeking

onimpulse wrote: »

If you reread my post you'll see we're in agreement.

Just checked the results and not only have I been omitted from Stage 1 but also stage 3 and the GC, pretty poor performance!! ice cream was nice though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Ah jaysus lads if you're not in the top 10 who cares what your time is?

Amazeballs weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

ericzeking wrote: »
    If you reread my post you'll see we're in agreement.

True, just wanted to highlight the danger of having timing chips & highlight the fact it's outside UCI rules (as I understand them).

Slo_Rida wrote: »

Amazeballs weekend.

Sounds like your more suited to pitch and putt!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Slo_Rida wrote: »

Amazeballs weekend.

It's not all about who got what time , I care because Wexford wheelers put on a great show this weekend only to be let down by someone they paid to do the timing for them .,for me that doesn't reflect badly on WW but reflects very bady on Precision timing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Results on sticky are an absolute joke. I thought there was group times as per previous posts. Will post more tomorrow. Will certainly not be back for this if its run like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

fondriest wrote: »
    Had serious fun in the tt , somehow managed to bend my chain in the warm up and it came off 5 times going up the hill. Thanks to the people who pushed me to get me going each time and a big thanks to the Lucan rider who gave me his bike with about 500m to go so I could finish it .

Know the lad that gave you the bike, a kind and easy going lad plus fair play on gibing the bike to make sure you finished and got a time. Showed what the weekend was like, good natured fun and everyone had a great racing experience. Well done to Michael from Lucan and well done to Wexford Wheelers

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Plastik wrote: »
    Results on sticky are an absolute joke. I thought there was group times as per previous posts. Will post more tomorrow. Will certainly not be back for this if its run like that again.

I will be back and promoting it to everyone. Yes the timing issue was a joke but it was a new departure for cycling to use this company (the company failed in their ability to deliver not the club) but the racing was still the same and very few are complaining of the overall event.

The stages, each selecetd due tot he location I am sure but good roads for racing, well marshaled, motorbikes today, good notice of turns and traffic and danger, inside venue, tea/coffee & food each day, great hill TT, big field but rightly limited in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Plastik wrote: »

Yes, it's regrettable that the results were released when there were a number of people querying their accuracy. The stage 3 results released appear to be raw unprocessed data.

The stage 1 results now appear more accurate as opposed to the results previously released so hopefully accurate stage 3 results can be issued.

There are also some riders who finished today yet had no time recorded. I have raised one such error with Michael.

There was a lot of positives in this event but these will be overshadowed if results concerns are not addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I will be back and promoting it to everyone. Yes the timing issue was a joke but it was a new departure for cycling to use this company (the company failed in their ability to deliver not the club) but the racing was still the same and very few are complaining of the overall event.

The stages, each selecetd due tot he location I am sure but good roads for racing, well marshaled, motorbikes today, good notice of turns and traffic and danger, inside venue, tea/coffee & food each day, great hill TT, big field but rightly limited in size.

This was a race, not a leisure tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Dogtanian7

Potential for a great weekend and appreciate all the work especially Mick put in. But I have to say I am disappointed as I had no overall time for S1 and got a DNF for S3 although I thought I was in the top 8. I expected to be in the overall GC but I wasn't. Maybe WW will have photo finish pics...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement