Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

nologo wrote: »
    So it's just a feeding frenzy. Do they announce the date before hand at all?

Unfortunately not but it'll sometime between Xmas and the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nologo

bopper wrote: »
    Unfortunately not but it'll sometime between Xmas and the end of January.

That is hilarious. The F5 key is going to get fairly worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

nologo wrote: »
    That is hilarious. The F5 key is going to get fairly worn out.

That sucks especially if you have other things to keep you occupied and can't sit at the PC all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nologo

cloudatlas wrote: »
    That sucks especially if you have other things to keep you occupied and can't sit at the PC all day.

Yes exactly. I really hate the idea of missing out on two years in Canada because I wasn't glued to a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

There are ways of getting an email when a page changes on the internet.
    You sign up and enter the page name, it polls the page every few hours for changes and when there is a change it'll send you an email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

There are ways of getting an email when a page changes on the internet.
    You sign up and enter the page name, it polls the page every few hours for changes and when there is a change it'll send you an email

what would this be called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

danotroy wrote: »
    what would this be called?

http://www.watchthatpage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SteveOwen

zweton wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can apply for the 2014 visas if you have been rejected for this years process?
    The canadian IEC visa process is a joke!

would like to know myself... made alot of mistakes on my kompass account while filling it out.... will it do any harm for next years process

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

Irish police check and one for any country you lived in for more than six months. Although they can't be any more than 3 months old at the time of you applying. Make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your visa. I think that's all you can really have ready before applications open.

say if you lived in Oz seven years ago, for a year. Would I still need a police report? if so how do I get this?

What documents does one need for the IEC programme, beside valid passport for two years and police report?
    Proof of address? i.e. bank statment, credit card bill/ birth cert?

• Advertisement

fredchest wrote: »
    say if you lived in Oz seven years ago, for a year. Would I still need a police report? if so how do I get this?

What documents does one need for the IEC programme, beside valid passport for two years and police report?
    Proof of address? i.e. bank statment, credit card bill/ birth cert?

I applied for my Oz police check while I was still in the country, but I think you can apply online from anywhere.

You don't need any proof of address, your passport is enough proof that you're an Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Spacehopper!

I lived in Germany for 18 months. Would I need a police check for that?

Or would an Irish police report do?

Hi there

is there anyone who can tell me if ill have any problems applying for the iec canada next year? i was rejected this year.. (i didnt really know what i was doing filling out the application)... i have my kompass account and wtn,,,, do i need to set up a brand new application?

thanks guys,

SteveOwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does your 2 yr visa start from the day you enter Canada or the day the visa is approved?

I've found this answer...."Your work permit will be provided at the port of entry. It will show:

A validity period of up to 24 months from the date you enter Canada, under the Working Holiday category."

If you're approved for 2014 do you need to enter Canada this year or can you hold out for early 2015?

I'm looking into going late next year but I'll probably have to apply Dec / Jan?

Thanks

PopTarts wrote: »
    Your work permit will be provided at the port of entry. It will show:

A validity period of up to 24 months from the date you enter Canada, under the Working Holiday category."[/I]

You answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

danotroy wrote: »
    You answered your own question.

See the ... I've found this answer...I edited after looking and answered it if someone else might be looking rather than deleting the post.

Wondering still about the other question . if approved in 2014 if I have to enter Canada that year or would 2015 be ok?

• Advertisement

pretty sure you have a year to enter from the date of issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

At the minute I'm planning on Canada myself next year.

Out of curiosity, what work do you folks plan on getting into when you's get over there?

EI-DOR wrote: »
    At the minute I'm planning on Canada myself next year.

Out of curiosity, what work do you folks plan on getting into when you's get over there?

to get stared off maybe on a ski resort just to keep meself ticking over..... then maybe try da oilsands as a labourer or something like that....! have to get da visa first tho

then maybe try da oilsands as a labourer or something like that....! have to get da visa first tho
    That is my plan. I have a friend over in Alberta working at the Oil and Gas currently. If you don't mind hard work then that is where the money is!

That is my plan. I have a friend over in Alberta working at the Oil and Gas currently. If you don't mind hard work then that is where the money is!

ur right there!!!! if ur young and fit and have a licence you should find something in the oil sands (well hopefully). check this website and see what you think http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-9826.html gives a little bit hope of getting a job out there no matter who you are or what ya do..... please god i get the visa next year???

• Advertisement

Oh nice one Steve.. A bit of reading to keep me entertained over the weekend.

Did you apply last year and not get the Visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I lived in Germany for 18 months. Would I need a police check for that?

Or would an Irish police report do?

You need a German one as well as the Irish one, follow the link for Germany here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

or here for info in German https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Themen/Buergerdienste/BZR/Ausland/Antrag/FAQ_node.html

There's an application form here https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/SharedDocs/Publikationen/BZR/antrag_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=8
    fill it in and send it off (pay the fee by bank transfer, send the receipt or screenshot of the internet banking as proof)
    You get it in about 6 weeks, then you'll need to get it translated to English, should cost another 30 euros or so

Oh nice one Steve.. A bit of reading to keep me entertained over the weekend.

Did you apply last year and not get the Visa?

its a bit of a read but a great 1..... ya made a balls of the whole thing.... went away for a couple of days the week they were out ( the 1 time i do go away!!!!:( ) came back on Thursday to check if they were out and 4000 visas gone in two days and rushing to get things together so I was up against it in trying to get 1 ....to be fair i didn't fully understand the process i did not ask for help because i was keeping it to myself...... im just hoping that it will not have a big effect on trying to get 1 next year...... this is why im fishing for some guidelines from people on this who might have some experience with the visa process...... when in 2014 are u thinking of going???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭oceanstreet

Got a question for the Canada experts on here and would be grateful for some help

I was going to apply for the IEC last year (2013) but decided to go to Asia instead. However I did get garda certs from here and Australia where I lived for a year in 2008. With Asia out of the way it's time to hit Canada next year. I realise I'll need to get a new garda reference for here but will the Australia one still be good...I haven't lived there since. I'd prefer not to pay for another one if it could be helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Against wrote: »
    You need a German one as well as the Irish one, follow the link for Germany here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/

or here for info in German https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/Themen/Buergerdienste/BZR/Ausland/Antrag/FAQ_node.html

There's an application form here https://www.bundesjustizamt.de/DE/SharedDocs/Publikationen/BZR/antrag_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=8
    fill it in and send it off (pay the fee by bank transfer, send the receipt or screenshot of the internet banking as proof)
    You get it in about 6 weeks, then you'll need to get it translated to English, should cost another 30 euros or so

Is that definitely for IEC? I've seen that under the citizenship requirements but it isn't listed under IEC, if I read it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A quick one.

I am on a 2 year visa at the minute, I got here in July.

Are you allowed to apply for another 2 year visa when this one is up?

Are you allowed to apply for another 2 year visa when this one is up?
    Negative!
    7. I am currently in Canada with a work permit issued under the IEC initiative. My employer would like me to continue working after the permit expires. Is this possible? What should I do?

You may not work in Canada without holding a valid work permit. A work permit issued under the IEC initiative cannot be renewed or extended, so one possibility remains:

If you wish to extend your stay in Canada under Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program, you must apply for a work permit at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current work permit under IEC.

Go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada or call 1-888-242-2100 to check the requirements for changing the conditions of your permit or extending your stay in Canada. You should make your inquiries after entry to Canada, while your current work permit is still valid.
    If you want to work in Canada, you must understand the following important information:

Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). An LMO confirms that there is no Canadian or permanent resident available, and the employer can fill the job with a foreign worker.

Some jobs do not require an LMO. Find out if you need one.

You must meet the general requirements for entering the country, for staying in Canada and for getting a work permit. This means you may also need a temporary resident visa. Learn more about temporary resident visas.

A work permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live in Canada permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as a skilled worker. Learn more about immigrating to Canada.

Live–in caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.

Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.

Is that definitely for IEC? I've seen that under the citizenship requirements but it isn't listed under IEC, if I read it correctly.

I'm pretty sure it's also for IEC, it used to be on the FAQ when IEC processed the whole application but it seems to have been removed now that CIC process the immigration part of the application.

You might find out otherwise somewhere, if you do more power to you, I think the "police check for every country you've lived in for 6 months since you turned 18" is a bit ridiculous, frankly.

I'm pretty sure it's also for IEC, it used to be on the FAQ when IEC processed the whole application but it seems to have been removed now that CIC process the immigration part of the application.

You might find out otherwise somewhere, if you do more power to you, I think the "police check for every country you've lived in for 6 months since you turned 18" is a bit ridiculous, frankly.

I contacted IEC and CIC last week about it. IEC said it's managed at stage two of the visa so CIC will handle it.

Did you get this done yourself too? I contacted the Italian embassy, they said I need to get both documents through the local police station of where I lived. I hope this doesn't get too tricky or costly. I read on a British expats forum people said you have to pay for a translation too. :( yikes.

I contacted IEC and CIC last week about it. IEC said it's managed at stage two of the visa so CIC will handle it.

Did you get this done yourself too? I contacted the Italian embassy, they said I need to get both documents through the local police station of where I lived. I hope this doesn't get too tricky or costly. I read on a British expats forum people said you have to pay for a translation too. :( yikes.

Yeah, i had to get ones from a couple of EU countries. It usually involves paying a fee via bank transfer, then filling out a form and sending to some authority, with proof of payment. Generally takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. You'll need a translation if it's not in French or English, should cost around 30 euro. t's all a bit of a pain in the arse but once you decide to do it and get down to it it's not too bad.

Haven't done the italian one but yeah, looks like you've to get 2 docs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/italy.asp
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_2.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_3.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Ann2905

Couple of quick questions if anyone could help?
    1)Can you work in Quebec on the IEC?
    2)How do you go about bringing a dependant?Hes only 16months old so wont need a study visa or anything
    3)Do I need a garda cert for living in canada for 3 years?If yes can I apply now or will it be out of date by Jan then?
    4)What do you need sorted document wise and money wise by January?
    Thanks a million to anyone who can hepl with any of my questions, finding it hard to find info online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Hey guys,
    Im a little confused is the IEC visa the same as the under 35 visa that USIT where offering a few years ago. Or is it different, and if its different. In what way is it?

Yeah, i had to get ones from a couple of EU countries. It usually involves paying a fee via bank transfer, then filling out a form and sending to some authority, with proof of payment. Generally takes 4-6 weeks to hear back. You'll need a translation if it's not in French or English, should cost around 30 euro. t's all a bit of a pain in the arse but once you decide to do it and get down to it it's not too bad.

Haven't done the italian one but yeah, looks like you've to get 2 docs:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/italy.asp
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_2.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7
    http://www.giustizia.it/giustizia/it/mg_3_3_3.wp?previsiousPage=mg_14_7

Thanks for that. I emailed the local procura where I lived and they asked me to call directly. I live in Ireland at the moment and today thought maybe the Irish embassy in Italy could help? I just emailed them so I'll see.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=29960

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p_fzg

Hi,

Just wondering when people are planning on applying for Garda clearance given that it needs to be 3 months in date when submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mememealways

I applied for my Oz police check while I was still in the country, but I think you can apply online from anywhere.

You don't need any proof of address, your passport is enough proof that you're an Irish citizen.

Will your police clearance still be ok? Does the cert just have to be 3months old in the country your living in at the moment?
    Thanks!

p_fzg wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering when people are planning on applying for Garda clearance given that it needs to be 3 months in date when submitted?

Regarding the Irish certificate, that's a good point. I guess it's about straddling the line between being as prepared as you can with your documents so you can have everything ready when it opens but not being too early so the documents are invalid.

The Irish clearance I'll wait a bit, the foreign ones I probably could get going now.

p.s. the 3 months rule...IEC told me it's only a CIC matter so only they will review the certs. I guess provisionally that means within three months up to the end of January 2014?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Regarding the Garda certificate, would I have to get a police cert from Australia having done the WHV over there in 2011/2012

astonaidan wrote: »
    Regarding the Garda certificate, would I have to get a police cert from Australia having done the WHV over there in 2011/2012

If it's six months outside your home country since 18, then yep you do. I read now and again people here who have lived in Canada have to get police certs. there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

If it's six months outside your home country since 18, then yep you do. I read now and again people here who have lived in Canada have to get police certs. there too!
    Well that is extremely annoying

• Advertisement

Will your police clearance still be ok? Does the cert just have to be 3months old in the country your living in at the moment?
    Thanks!

It was more than 3 months old when I applied but that was back in 2012 and I think the 3 month rule was only brought in last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CFC007

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding police Certs. I did the WHV in Oz back in 2006 since then I've been issued a new passport with a new passport number. Do you think I'd still need the Oz report? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Hi guys thanks for all the info posted up here so far. The whole process is quite daunting i must admit. I was pondering the idea of heading to Canada for some time and finally decided to go for it since ill be getting a work bonus from my job in December, so that will cover flights ect. Also does anyone know if there was much of a gap between the applications opening from the previous years? ie: when did the applications open in say 2011, 2012, 2013? Cause iv holidays to take in work, so part of me is thinking to book the first two weeks in January to make myself available for when the applications open.

Also its been ask a few times, but what documents can we have ready for when the applications open? And do they need to be digital (scanned to my computer)

what kind of questions do be asked during the process? Is there examples anywhere from previous years? Id like to get a jump start just so my head is in the right place for when i can apply. The whole race against the clock situation is scary so id like to have my answers ready for any recurring questions.

Lastly can i setup a CIC account now? Or only only the applications open? I cant see a register link anywhere on the site....

Cheers

To the best of my knowledge:

1. You need police certs. for every country that you lived in for 6 months since 18th birthday.

2. Previous years, I read recently that (if accurate) only the last two years of applications opened this late in the season. Previously, they opened in late October. Even if that is true, going by the only indications we have, I'd expect the same dates this year - roughly - as last year.

3. This should be your application guide, it's the official word: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng

There are two stages to assessment; initial eligibility (IEC) and immigration (CIC). The first stage is very basic. The above link will tell you what to do. Get $2500 CAD ready, copy particular pages of your passport, make sure your passport is valid for at least two years etc. pretty light stuff to start with. If you are told you pass the basic requirements, there's a bit more to fill out e.g. police checks.

4. I believe 2013 was the first year of all online application, I expect the following years will do the same.

5. You cannot set up any accounts now. Simply check the above site regularly for news on when things open.

steve_ wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for all the info posted up here so far. The whole process is quite daunting i must admit. I was pondering the idea of heading to Canada for some time and finally decided to go for it since ill be getting a work bonus from my job in December, so that will cover flights ect. Also does anyone know if there was much of a gap between the applications opening from the previous years? ie: when did the applications open in say 2011, 2012, 2013? Cause iv holidays to take in work, so part of me is thinking to book the first two weeks in January to make myself available for when the applications open.

Also its been ask a few times, but what documents can we have ready for when the applications open? And do they need to be digital (scanned to my computer)

what kind of questions do be asked during the process? Is there examples anywhere from previous years? Id like to get a jump start just so my head is in the right place for when i can apply. The whole race against the clock situation is scary so id like to have my answers ready for any recurring questions.

Lastly can i setup a CIC account now? Or only only the applications open? I cant see a register link anywhere on the site....

Cheers

I don't know when the applications for the 2011 visas opened, but the 2012 ones opened at the end of Dec 2011, whereas the 2013 ones opened at the end of January 2013. So I really wouldn't go taking two weeks off, it could be waste of time. Even if you were at work the day the visa applications opened, you can just apply when you get home that evening. They'll be gone quick but not that quick.

When I applied it was by post so I'm not 100% sure of the online process but as far as I'm aware you just need to scanned photo of your passport ready for the first stage of the application, and police certs for the second stage. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't remember the exact questions but they were pretty detailed. There's nothing you're asked that you won't know the answer to, but just have the correct dates for your employment and education history ready. I think one section asks your parents' and siblings' dates of birth and occupations, so make sure you know them too.

You can set up a CIC account before applications open but I'm guessing not yet (haven't checked myself).

Thanks guys for your replies they were very helpful. As for the 2500dollars, do I need to have even for applying? Cause I'll be selling on things like my car and gaming rig which will generate the cash I need, but I want to hang on as long as possible before selling them on.

Also for employment dates I'm a bit stuck. I only had a digital copy of my cv which was on a hard drive that failed, very silly on my part I know. But does the dates of employment need to be bang on or would estimates suffice? I've been in my current job for four years now which didn't actually require a cv (equal opportunity employer) so the dates of previous jobs are a bit fuzzy.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

steve_ wrote: »
    Thanks guys for your replies they were very helpful. As for the 2500dollars, do I need to have even for applying? Cause I'll be selling on things like my car and gaming rig which will generate the cash I need, but I want to hang on as long as possible before selling them on.

Also for employment dates I'm a bit stuck. I only had a digital copy of my cv which was on a hard drive that failed, very silly on my part I know. But does the dates of employment need to be bang on or would estimates suffice? I've been in my current job for four years now which didn't actually require a cv (equal opportunity employer) so the dates of previous jobs are a bit fuzzy.

Thanks

You'll only need that $2500 when passing through immigration into Canada, not during the application process.

Estimates of your dates will suffice, it's not as if they'll be checking :) As far as I know they just don't like to see any big gaps not accounted for so just make sure that you have your whole employment history accounted for by your jobs and college etc. (if that makes sense!).

As far as I can remember they asked for start and end dates (day/month/year) for employment and education history for stage one (Kompass), and then for stage two (MyCIC) it was just dates in month/year format. So It's more important that the info given in both stages is consistent, with no big gaps, rather than 100% accurate.

You can't go back and check what info you've supplied to Kompass afterwards when it comes time to do MyCIC so just make sure you've kept a record of what dates you've given!

You only need to have two things ready for stage one (IEC Kompass Account). From this info they'll verify that you're eligible to apply for the visa. If you are eligible, you'll be issued a Conditional Acceptance letter and will be directed to set up your CIC account where you've to upload your police certificates, ID photo and fill out a couple of forms etc.

The below is from the IEC website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/required-requis.aspx
    Required documents for the IEC eligibility assessment:

As part of stage one of the application process to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative, you will be required to submit a scanned or electronic copy of the following documents to IEC Kompass. The designated IEC office will review these documents to assess your eligibility to participate in IEC. You may be requested to submit additional documents later in the process.

Required documents:
    • A legible photocopy of the identification pages of your passport (family names, given name(s), date and place of birth, passport’s issue and expiry dates). Your passport must be valid for at least one day beyond the date of your departure from Canada and there must be one completely blank page, other than the last page, available in your passport.
    • A complete and up-to-date version of your curriculum vitae (résumé).

And in relation to the "first come first served" situation. Is that only for the first part of the process? If i receive the conditional acceptance, does that mean i can take my time filling in the second part of the process or is the visa only guaranteed once i perform both sections promptly?

Yep, once you have your Kompass account and complete stage one, your place is pretty much guaranteed. Your conditional acceptance letter is valid for 6 months, so you've that long to do your MyCIC account and get everything uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ladilia

Hi everyone, I have a question for you, hope you guys can help me:

So I applied for my 1 year visa in 2012 and did my year in Canada. I attempted to apply for another one for 2013, but seeing as they went in about 30 seconds, my application was technically rejected.

Am I still eligible to apply for the 2014 2 year visa?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement