Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IEC 2014 Discussion/Stage 1 - READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raj.singh

Hi all,

I am fresh graduate with hons degree in mechanical engineering and looking to go on the IEC 2014 programme. I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge about job availability for mechanical engineers ? I am planning to go to toronto.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raj.singh

can someone reply? ^^^

pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Raj.singh wrote: »
    can someone reply? ^^^

pls

How the hell would any of us know? Why would someone who is already in canada be looking at this thread and your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Raj.singh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am fresh graduate with hons degree in mechanical engineering and looking to go on the IEC 2014 programme. I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge about job availability for mechanical engineers ? I am planning to go to toronto.

Thanks.

Hi Raj Singh,
    Not sure on mechanical engineers in Toronto but maybe join the 'Irish in Toronto' page on Facebook and do some job searches in Canada and see what's out there for recent graduates with limited experience. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p_fzg

Just wondering whether as an Irish citizen you can apply for the IEC from abroad, planning on going traveling in February 2014 and may end up having to apply from Asia, is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

p_fzg wrote: »
    Just wondering whether as an Irish citizen you can apply for the IEC from abroad, planning on going traveling in February 2014 and may end up having to apply from Asia, is this possible?

More than likely the applications will have opened before February, but either way you can apply from overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just wondering .. Is there a summer programme ala a J1 and if not, what are the implications of going on a 2- year visa but only using it for 3-4 months?

Just wondering .. Is there a summer programme ala a J1 and if not, what are the implications of going on a 2- year visa but only using it for 3-4 months?

It just means that you'll waste 20 months of a 24 month visa. You can't apply a second time though. As far as I know there's no J1 programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So if I wanted to return to Canada at a future date to work, I wouldn't be able to? Is there not a time limit?

• Well, in theory, within the two year period of the visa, you could enter & exit Canada as you pleased, so if you wanted to spend all your time off college working in Canada, no one'd say boo to you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I heard, though not from any official or authorised source, that Ireland alone will get 10,000 visa allocations on the IEC program for 2014. Is that just a load of baloney or what?

Augmerson wrote: »
    I heard, though not from any official or authorised source, that Ireland alone will get 10,000 visa allocations on the IEC program for 2014. Is that just a load of baloney or what?

That's supposed to be the case although it hasn't been confirmed yet. They'll still go in about two weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Augmerson wrote: »

It has been confirmed by the CIC that there are 10,000 IEC visas available to Irish applicants in 2014. I reckon they'll go fast like this year too though.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-10-05.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

there is definitely a latent demand for 10,000 visas but i reckon it will take slightly longer for 10,000 people to figure out the process and get their act together. I know many people here in australia who want to apply but have not yet looked into how its done and are oblivious to the process. I reckon 1000's will go in the first few days but 10,000 to me seems like a large number of visas. However upon reading that article I now retract everything i said above as in 2013 we were given 6,350 visas, i was under the impression we were only given 2,500 or so visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nologo

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info so far. A friend and I are planning to head over to Vancouver next year.

What's the best preparation you can do for the IEC application process opening? Set on going now and I don't want to miss out. I know there's no point in doing anything now as it's too far off but what can you have ready at the time?

Maybe this isn't the best thread for this question but if any of you folk are already over there you might be reading this.

Cheers lads and hopefully we'll see some of you out there for a pint/match/bag of milk/pancake covered in maple syrup.

nologo wrote: »
    What's the best preparation you can do for the IEC application process opening? Set on going now and I don't want to miss out. I know there's no point in doing anything now as it's too far off but what can you have ready at the time?

Irish police check and one for any country you lived in for more than six months. Although they can't be any more than 3 months old at the time of you applying. Make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your visa. I think that's all you can really have ready before applications open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm just taking a gander at this for a future option. Reports said that last year the quota was filled in 2 days. What does that mean? Do you have to hover around on your pc until the acceptance date and then press submit to be in with a chance to win? My Oz WHV came through almost immediately obviously this is very different. Pleased to hear that they are increasing the number of people they're letting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Does anyone know if you can apply for the 2014 visas if you have been rejected for this years process?
    The canadian IEC visa process is a joke!

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'm just taking a gander at this for a future option. Reports said that last year the quota was filled in 2 days. What does that mean? Do you have to hover around on your pc until the acceptance date and then press submit to be in with a chance to win? My Oz WHV came through almost immediately obviously this is very different. Pleased to hear that they are increasing the number of people they're letting in.

They went in 4 days. You get "conditionally accepted" first, which only takes a couple of hours, that's why the quota was filled so quick. They'll still let a few hundred more apply after the quota is filled to make up for those conditionally accepted getting refused a visa during the second stage of the application.

So yes, you'll pretty much just have to be checking the IEC website constantly from the end of December so you don't miss out when the applications open.

bopper wrote: »
    They went in 4 days. You get "conditionally accepted" first, which only takes a couple of hours, that's why the quota was filled so quick. They'll still let a few hundred more apply after the quota is filled to make up for those conditionally accepted getting refused a visa during the second stage of the application.

So yes, you'll pretty much just have to be checking the IEC website constantly from the end of December so you don't miss out when the applications open.

So it's just a feeding frenzy. Do they announce the date before hand at all?

• Advertisement

So it's just a feeding frenzy. Do they announce the date before hand at all?

Unfortunately not but it'll sometime between Xmas and the end of January.

Unfortunately not but it'll sometime between Xmas and the end of January.

That is hilarious. The F5 key is going to get fairly worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That is hilarious. The F5 key is going to get fairly worn out.

That sucks especially if you have other things to keep you occupied and can't sit at the PC all day.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    That sucks especially if you have other things to keep you occupied and can't sit at the PC all day.

Yes exactly. I really hate the idea of missing out on two years in Canada because I wasn't glued to a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

There are ways of getting an email when a page changes on the internet.
    You sign up and enter the page name, it polls the page every few hours for changes and when there is a change it'll send you an email

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

There are ways of getting an email when a page changes on the internet.
    You sign up and enter the page name, it polls the page every few hours for changes and when there is a change it'll send you an email

what would this be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

danotroy wrote: »
    what would this be called?

http://www.watchthatpage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SteveOwen

zweton wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can apply for the 2014 visas if you have been rejected for this years process?
    The canadian IEC visa process is a joke!

would like to know myself... made alot of mistakes on my kompass account while filling it out.... will it do any harm for next years process

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fredchest

Irish police check and one for any country you lived in for more than six months. Although they can't be any more than 3 months old at the time of you applying. Make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your visa. I think that's all you can really have ready before applications open.

say if you lived in Oz seven years ago, for a year. Would I still need a police report? if so how do I get this?

What documents does one need for the IEC programme, beside valid passport for two years and police report?
    Proof of address? i.e. bank statment, credit card bill/ birth cert?

• Advertisement

fredchest wrote: »
    say if you lived in Oz seven years ago, for a year. Would I still need a police report? if so how do I get this?

What documents does one need for the IEC programme, beside valid passport for two years and police report?
    Proof of address? i.e. bank statment, credit card bill/ birth cert?

I applied for my Oz police check while I was still in the country, but I think you can apply online from anywhere.

You don't need any proof of address, your passport is enough proof that you're an Irish citizen.

Advertisement