Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

You d have to wonder what kind of relationship the Manager had with the players. The dogs in the street knew there were issues, even the lads that supported him said there ought to be changes and yet he thought there were no problems.

I agree the whole thing was clumsily handled by the players but it appears that time was not on their side.

What I'd like to know is why the county board had to put the word out with such haste. Why put the word out at HT in minor game. As some one said previously Manager contract was up, and it was nt as if we were still in championship and needed a manager now. Something fishy about the whole thing. Obviously done to embarrass the players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You d have to wonder what kind of relationship the Manager had with the players. The dogs in the street knew there were issues, even the lads that supported him said there ought to be changes and yet he thought there were no problems.

I agree the whole thing was clumsily handled by the players but it appears that time was not on their side.

What I'd like to know is why the county board had to put the word out with such haste. Why put the word out at HT in minor game. As some one said previously Manager contract was up, and it was nt as if we were still in championship and needed a manager now. Something fishy about the whole thing. Obviously done to embarrass the players

There's an awful lot of selective reading and misquoting going around. He said plenty of players over the course of the year had suggestions and things they weren't happy with and that they addressed those issues.

"The dogs on the street" often tend to spend a bit too much time warming bar stools with little to talk about. What Michael Ryan meant at the end was he obviously felt there was no issues so great that would prompt the team to seek him to be removed as Waterford manager.

One thing I would assure you is that he contacts players regularly. It certainly wasn't a lack of communication from manager to players over the course of the year that caused this issue. Given he was the one that said that the lads that supported him felt there needed to be some changes (that doesn't neccesarily mean replacement of personnel let it be acknowledged) how could you take that up that he was oblivious to it, given the words came directily from his mouth.

What is clear is there was a seriously communication breakdown on the County boards part, and as annoyed as I am that 11 players felt they could hold a meeting to speak for a panel, I have grown increasingly annoyed with every breaking story on this with regard to the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

noiniho wrote: »
    I suppose the point I am making is that it was totally unnecessarey for what has happened in the last week to be played out in the public

I think it was important and neecessary it was played out in public, it let's the CB know that they have the support, without public opinion behind the players, they are likely to reconsider their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

hardybuck wrote: »
    Often in the workplace, workers will give feedback on their manager. It's called 360 degree feedback...

It would be arrogant to think that there will always be someone available to fill the Waterford jersey. Not many people would be willing and able to provide as much commitment as these guys. And before anyone says that they'd give their eye teeth for the chance - you give yourself the chance through a lifetime of dedication and hard work.

Their views are completely valid, but should not have come out in this fashion. If there was a proper review process or forum provided by the County Board, this wouldn't have been allowed to happen.

We're going in circles. There is a vacant senior manager role to be filled, exactly the same as after the KK defeat. Nominations or applications will come in, and Ryan will either apply for it or he won't.

I agree completely. I have no reason to doubt that Michael Ryan is a gent and a solid hurling man, as everyone keeps pointing out. The manner in which it all unfolded publicly may have been unfair to him, but I wouldn't castigate the players either. We have officials appointed to look after these matters and not to let the matter get fed to the the hungry media pack.

Is it true that Michael Ryan said he was already putting together a new backroom team? If so, what about the volunteers who gave of their time until now - Ray Murphy, Sean Cullianane etc. and anyone else involved - are they not also solid hurling men? Why is there no clamour about the fact that any of backroom team were due to be sidelined in a deal for a new managerial term? Surely those due to be left behind are also worthy of sympathy and here's the question - who decided they should go and that the outgoing manager should stay? How does one evaluate the gentlemanly behaviour in that process?

The reality is that a number of pundits (none of them from Waterford as it happens) see an opportunity to get headlines for themselves and are being successful. It matters not to them that this whole thing could set us back years as a county. Michael Ryan obviously feels hurt that the 2013 panel were not unanimous in wanting to work with him again in 2014 and that is understandable. So maybe it's time to ask how those who were not be asked back by him how they feel about it all......

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

[QUOTE=Mountainlad;86033910
    What is clear is there was a seriously communication breakdown on the County boards part, and as annoyed as I am that 11 players felt they could hold a meeting to speak for a panel, I have grown increasingly annoyed with every breaking story on this with regard to the board.[/QUOTE]

And so say all of us. This arguement is just going arouund in circles and nobody is really sure of what really happened.
    In a week we should be speculating about our minor hurler's chances in the up coming final here we are going on about the county board and player's who betrayed the manager.
    Not one post on who we think we will be facing after Sunday in what is now the most important game for us this year. Pity really, I hope this won't effect the minor camps preparations as the timing of this announcement was a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    And so say all of us. This arguement is just going arouund in circles and nobody is really sure of what really happened.
    In a week we should be speculating about our minor hurler's chances in the up coming final here we are going on about the county board and player's who betrayed the manager.
    Not one post on who we think we will be facing after Sunday in what is now the most important game for us this year. Pity really, I hope this won't effect the minor camps preparations as the timing of this announcement was a disgrace.

One word, as per Austin Gleeson, LIMERICK!!!

Mr Tibbs wrote: »

one would argue not having the focus on them might be of benefit ,we all enjoyed the run up to 08 there was electricity in the air, it might be better to be low profile

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Indo 'article' simply a straight transcript of Ryans interview on Championship Matters - is this supposed to count as journalism ? Cliona Foley should be ashamed.

Full time scores from SHC this evening;

De La Salle 4-12 Lismore 2-12
    Fourmilewater 0-18 An Rinn 0-12
    Tallow 0-19 Ballyduff Upper 0-19

Lismore in real trouble now having lost 3 out of 4, an Rinn propping up the group. All to play from in final round of matches apart from De La Salle who are guaranteed to top the group.

• Advertisement

Indo 'article' simply a straight transcript of Ryans interview on Championship Matters - is this supposed to count as journalism ? Cliona Foley should be ashamed.

I was more reffering to the comments of the general hurling populace, it shows we're not alone in our opinion .

I always wonder how far this topic goes, do players read it do journalists?

I'd say there might be as many as 50x viewers to contributers in peak seaosn, like ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

I was more reffering to the comments of the general hurling populace, it shows we're not alone in our opinion .

Yes, I'm quite sure opinions here are shared elsewhere, but if you're relying on 6 comments on an article to vindicate *any* stance, I think you're reaching, no offense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So a week since the players meeting became some sort of knowledge to M Ryan and still the players have said nothing. Club matches on this weekend so hence the players are around and not in hiding. Will anyone ask the players what is/has gone on and why is appears that the players are split as only a third turned up at the meeting? The County Board won't ask from what we've seen so journalists will, as people on here are.

Are the players entitled to an opinion on their manager and training? Yes, without a doubt but not to decide who is in charge. But equally the supporters who travel to games and put a few quid into buckets for training funds are entitled to know why things are the way they are.

I would think that the players have lost a fair few supporters and will have alot of problems getting people back. There's a right way and a wrong way to do this and we're writing the book on the wrong way to deal with this kind of problem. When Cork went on strike, you had an united panel; with us, we're still waiting to know who was on the phone and who was in person.

The longer the players refuse to address what has gone on, the worse this will become. However as the panel seems to be split, this saga will run and run i fear.

I think the players got their reality checked, scully didn't hit 15 wides against Clare,and unlike '08 no one is behind them

Best they quietly agreed to take him back and say the concerns were addressed.

our players might be amateur, but their attitude is moreso, the manager,a pro , I know who I want to have faith in

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

I think the players got their reality checked, scully didn't hit 15 wides against Clare,and unlike '08 no one is behind them

Best they quietly agreed to take him back and say the concerns were addressed.

our players might be amateur, but their attitude is moreso, the manager,a pro , I know who I want to have faith in

I am 100% behind the players and am very impressed that they had the moral courage for a young panel to get this underachiever out.

I am 100% behind the players and am very impressed that they had the moral courage for a young panel to get this underachiever out.

Each to their own but you would be in a serious minority if you are applauding the players for the disgraceful way in which they have behaved, whatever your thoughts on Michael Ryan.

Doesn't appear to me that there was too much moral courage either, more like a crowd of youngsters who were strung along by a few ring leaders.

doz wrote: »
    Each to their own but you would be in a serious minority if you are applauding the players for the disgraceful way in which they have behaved, whatever your thoughts on Michael Ryan.

Doesn't appear to me that there was too much moral courage either, more like a crowd of youngsters who were strung along by a few ring leaders.
    What's disgraceful about what they did? They had a meeting and they decided that they had enough of this lad holding them back and they communicated it to the county board. What's disgraceful about that?

Apparently those that were out of the country were not contacted last Sunday.

Troll ,the bookies and his peers state overachievment , go troll somewhere else

Yes, I'm quite sure opinions here are shared elsewhere, but if you're relying on 6 comments on an article to vindicate *any* stance, I think you're reaching, no offense :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2013/0815/468446-ryan-indicates-he-will-seek-waterford-job/

go again

• Advertisement

What's disgraceful about what they did? They had a meeting and they decided that they had enough of this lad holding them back and they communicated it to the county board. What's disgraceful about that?

Small matter of deliberately holding it the morning of one of our minor team's greatest hours, having only 11 out of 30 present and not a single player has had the courage to come out and explain their actions? Also, as far as I was aware the County Board was mandated to select the county manager and not the players, seems to be the way it works in all other counties? On what basis has he been 'holding' them back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

You can almost count on one hand the amount of hurling counties that play hurling seriously at inter county level, any of those teams that doesn't reach a quarter final had had a poor year

Troll? Because I disagree with you?

Lookit. These players realise that they have been hobbled from the start of the year by having this chap in charge. If they didn't have this hopeless case running the team they would have had a once in a generation chance of winning an All Ireland. Instead three inferior outfits are battling it out for the big prize.

Did you ever ask yourself why Cody, JBM and Loughnane want Ryan to stay on? Because they want to hold Waterford back that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So if Michael Ryan held the players back, the players, regardless of who manages them next year, will keep Waterford in Division 1 and win Munster and get to play in September in Croker?

I do find it sad that people are blaming Ryan for hitting wides and poor shot selection when he isn't even a player.

I find it amazing how when a team loses, the manager is always blamed but when a team win, tis the players. Wasn't it Babs that said there's 6 inches between a slap in the arse and a pat on the back?

Apparently those that were out of the country were not contacted last Sunday.

Do you have any idea how many were reported to have been out of the country? Trying to piece all together all the various things I've heard to come up with the full picture.

Small matter of deliberately holding it the morning of one of our minor team's greatest hours, having only 11 out of 30 present and not a single player has had the courage to come out and explain their actions? Also, as far as I was aware the County Board was mandated to select the county manager and not the players, seems to be the way it works in all other counties? On what basis has he been 'holding' them back?
    Should the players not have any opinion on who should manage the team? Aren't they best placed to assess the ability of the manager?

Do you have any idea how many were reported to have been out of the country? Trying to piece all together all the various things I've heard to come up with the full picture.

I'll PM you Doz, I posted that because other things I heard from the saem source have turned out to be true, but reluctant to add to much to the rumour mill all the same.

LIf they didn't have this hopeless case running the team they would have had a once in a generation chance of winning an All Ireland. Instead three inferior outfits are battling it out for the big prize.

With respect, any person who believes we had a genuine chance of winning an AI this year is completely deluded. Don't think you'll find many who feel that Cork, Limerick and Clare are inferior sides either. We're not far off them but these teams have been far more clinical in taking their scores when it counted. As has been mentioned several times, Michael Ryan wasn't firing wides to beat the band during the Championship.

chinguetti wrote: »
    So if Michael Ryan held the players back, the players, regardless of who manages them next year, will keep Waterford in Division 1 and win Munster and get to play in September in Croker?

I do find it sad that people are blaming Ryan for hitting wides and poor shot selection when he isn't even a player.

I find it amazing how when a team loses, the manager is always blamed but when a team win, tis the players. Wasn't it Babs that said there's 6 inches between a slap in the arse and a pat on the back?

Do you not think that if they had a proper coach they may have hit less wides? No?

• Advertisement

Lookit. These players realise that they have been hobbled from the start of the year by having this chap in charge. If they didn't have this hopeless case running the team they would have had a once in a generation chance of winning an All Ireland. Instead three inferior outfits are battling it out for the big prize.

Did you ever ask yourself why Cody, JBM and Loughnane want Ryan to stay on? Because they want to hold Waterford back that's why.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=internet%20troll

An internet troll is a person who uses anonymity to cause frustration, anger, impatience or to generally be disruptive for no seemingly good reason EXCEPT to be that nuisance.

Most are souless bastards, touched by daddy/priest, and in the stead of coping with that trauma in a healthy way, take out their aggression, anger, impotence, frustration on others.

-have problems forming real-life relationships; have a hard time attracting members of the opposite/same sex,generally introverts. Though some are 'trolls-in-hiding', most are skill-less loners.

General troll behavior:disruptive forum posts; the posts are generally off-topic, or unnecessarily combative. Each contemporary popular website has its own sub-genre of troll

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement