Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computing NCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gissy_T

Do much girls do this course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Gissy_T wrote: »
    Do much girls do this course?

Not many really, every year depends, though from my course and course from last year there was an increase.

I am year 3, there is only about 4-5 girls.
    while Year 2 Had around 10-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I know you guys are worried there might be enough girls in the class but remember computer science isn't the only course in the college! plenty of girls will be flowing around for your manly needs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I know you guys are worried there might be enough girls in the class but remember computer science isn't the only course in the college! plenty of girls will be flowing around for your manly needs :P

Ah it's not really computing science , and just on the other point , do you get to know others from other courses, ie freshers week does everyone go regardless of being in first year or not

Ah it's not really computing science , and just on the other point , do you get to know others from other courses, ie freshers week does everyone go regardless of being in first year or not
    Heh sorry if you thought I am in NCI but I'm actually waiting for my offer on Monday :P I've been to the college when it was busy and plenty of gender mix.

Anyway, onto your question I'm not entirely sure but I think freshers week is for first years only. I think it would make it sense as it helps you to get to know people in your year group.

Heh sorry if you thought I am in NCI but I'm actually waiting for my offer on Monday :P I've been to the college when it was busy and plenty of gender mix.

Anyway, onto your question I'm not entirely sure but I think freshers week is for first years only. I think it would make it sense as it helps you to get to know people in your year group.

Haha alri , waiting for my offer aswell, yeah I thought it might be but I've heard that the college uses it for a giant piss up. I'm sure the 2 of us once we get in will pull a few of the lady's

Haha alri , waiting for my offer aswell, yeah I thought it might be but I've heard that the college uses it for a giant piss up. I'm sure the 2 of us once we get in will pull a few of the lady's
    Aye they don't know what is going to hit them ;)

Aye they don't know what is going to hit them ;)

Not at all , should be good

Most girls you see in college are in school of business.

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    Most girls you see in college are in school of business.

Most common courses , but do courses mix is what I want to know

Most common courses , but do courses mix is what I want to know

Well Business and Computing doesn't mix as far as I know, but there are courses that mix, so BSHC course will mix with HCC for some classes for example, and I noticed HCC has A LOT more girls in it.

Well Business and Computing doesn't mix as far as I know, but there are courses that mix, so BSHC course will mix with HCC for some classes for example, and I noticed HCC has A LOT more girls in it.

Hcc ?? That the computing cert course ?? I know some courses wont mix timetable wise but generally to people mix with others outside their course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

HCC is a higher cert in computing. The three courses BSHC, BSHBIS and HCC are all mixed together at night and do the exact same modules until 3rd year so probably the same during the day

Synode wrote: »
    HCC is a higher cert in computing. The three courses BSHC, BSHBIS and HCC are all mixed together at night and do the exact same modules until 3rd year so probably the same during the day

I was in 1st and 2nd year of BSHC, and yes we all mixed during day too. Now moving to Year 3 happily with no fails :P

I was in 1st and 2nd year of BSHC, and yes we all mixed during day too. Now moving to Year 3 happily with no fails :P

Cheers for the info lads , got 370 so I should get in comfortably

• Advertisement

got it

got it
    Got in myself as well. Interesting to see it drop by 50 points. 320 last year to 270 this year.

Got in myself as well. Interesting to see it drop by 50 points. 320 last year to 270 this year.

yeah very large drop, most courses in the college dropped, means i cleared the points by 100

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

See yous there in september :)

oorrccaa wrote: »
    See yous there in september :)

Nci won't know what's hit it haha

• Advertisement

yeah very large drop, most courses in the college dropped, means i cleared the points by 100
    Aye last year the bonus points pushed the points big time! Looking forward to seeing you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Me three. See yous there, I was worried that it would take a sharp rise again over my 340 points. 50 point drop was surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anyone doing the Higher Cert in Computing and then going on to do the degree (part time)?

Think I'll be doing this as it's exactly the same syllabus as the degree but you get a cert at the end, then just go on and do the last 2 years for the degree :)

Aye last year the bonus points pushed the points big time! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Yeah cya there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

50 point drop was mental, particularly for a computing course because they still rose everywhere else.

Looks like I'll be starting in September too, anyone know if the class is still gonna be around 60 or have they increased it? That might be part of the reason it's dropped.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    50 point drop was mental, particularly for a computing course because they still rose everywhere else.

Looks like I'll be starting in September too, anyone know if the class is still gonna be around 60 or have they increased it? That might be part of the reason it's dropped.
    The drop has to be an increase , see you in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

According to admissions there's going to be 2 classes this year, hence the points drop.

I think orientation is the 2nd or 3rd of September.

I think they're doing 2 computing classes this year that's why the drop in points.

So if there was only one class it probably would have remained the same , at least there is good demand for it . Looking forward to it now , so orientation is either 2nd or 3rd and in one day of either wed , thur , fri

So if there was only one class it probably would have remained the same , at least there is good demand for it . Looking forward to it now , so orientation is either 2nd or 3rd and in one day of either wed , thur , fri

I think its both days but you might only need to attend one of the two days. But I don't think we 'Actually' start till the 9th http://www.ncirl.ie/NewsEvents/AcademicCalendar.aspx

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if we need a laptop for the course? I know they have computers and the computers are adequate but id rather work from my laptop as I'm pretty used to that already.

Thanks,

Daspendy

I think its both days but you might only need to attend one of the two days. But I don't think we 'Actually' start till the 9th http://www.ncirl.ie/NewsEvents/AcademicCalendar.aspx

They said on their fb page that depending on your course you will be in either 2nd or 3rd and 1 other day that week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Ya In doing this course too the BSc hons in computing, can't wait to start now, I rang them last day they said registration is on the Tuesday 3rd, woman in admissions said its 8.45 on tuesday. has any one received any specific emails or post about it yet? I wouldn't have known that if I didn't ring them.

Person I was talking too also said something about we would have to attend on the Friday before starting proper on following Monday

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Ya In doing this course too the BSc hons in computing, can't wait to start now, I rang them last day they said registration is on the Tuesday 3rd, woman in admissions said its 8.45 on tuesday. has any one received any specific emails or post about it yet? I wouldn't have known that if I didn't ring them.

Person I was talking too also said something about we would have to attend on the Friday before starting proper on following Monday

On Facebook they said info packs were being sent out , and that orientation would be either Monday 2nd or Tuesday 3rd depending on your course , and then depending on your course you will be in one day of either wed , thur or Friday . So what you were told sounds right

Does anyone know if we need a laptop for the course? I know they have computers and the computers are adequate but id rather work from my laptop as I'm pretty used to that already.

Thanks,

Daspendy
    I reckon you could bring in your own laptop and I'm sure they won't mind as long as you are comfortable. You possibily might need decent specs depending on what we'll be doing but I'm just guessing :P

I reckon you could bring in your own laptop and I'm sure they won't mind as long as you are comfortable. You possibily might need decent specs depending on what we'll be doing but I'm just guessing :P

For first year I'd say a decent laptop be fine , first year isn't too hard or in depth appearently, il be using a Sony vaio with intel i5

For first year I'd say a decent laptop be fine , first year isn't too hard or in depth appearently, il be using a Sony vaio with intel i5
    Aye, the first module seems to be a bit of maths which isn't rock hard like the leaving cert so we'll be fine.

Aye, the first module seems to be a bit of maths which isn't rock hard like the leaving cert so we'll be fine.

Few difficult bits but just think back to lc maths , I did ol thought I'd fail and got a c3 so I mustn't be that bad at it

Few difficult bits but just think back to lc maths , I did ol thought I'd fail and got a c3 so I mustn't be that bad at it
    I was in the same boat as well and got a C1, so hurray for Project Maths :P There is a maths area in the college that help students who struggle with maths so plenty of support around which is awesome.

• Advertisement

Yeah just got a new laptop for college: http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd?oc=cn17s06&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720

It should do =P

I was in the same boat as well and got a C1, so hurray for Project Maths :P There is a maths area in the college that help students who struggle with maths so plenty of support around which is awesome.

Sure we can all help each other out , in between the hangovers

Personally was never a fan of Dell, as they stop working at it's max capacity after a year of use. There are better brands out there that are way superior than Dell. I have a Toshiba Satellite and running smoothly after 2 and a half years use. Lenovo are very decent as well and prices are generous for such a powerful machine.

Sure we can all help each other out , in between the hangovers
    Our poor heads won't be happy! :pac:

Personally was never a fan of Dell, as they stop working at it's max capacity after a year of use. There are better brands out there that are way superior than Dell. I have a Toshiba Satellite and running smoothly after 2 and a half years use. Lenovo are very decent as well and prices are generous for such a powerful machine.

I dunno I think Dell have been making better quality laptops as of recent. They used to be a terrible make. There is better brands but I got it at such a large discount I couldn't really care that much. And if I need to I can always purchase another.

I dunno I think Dell have been making better quality laptops as of recent. They used to be a terrible make. There is better brands but I got it at such a large discount I couldn't really care that much. And if I need to I can always purchase another.
    I haven't brought a Dell in years so they could of changed their design and hardware. How much did the discount bring it down to?

• Advertisement

I haven't brought a Dell in years so they could of changed their design and hardware. How much did the discount bring it down to?

I got it to 675 because my dad gets computers from Dell in bulk so he gets pretty good discounts from them. I also got it for a birthday present as well so I didnt spend a dime =P

Had a dell for 5 years and was grand , got my current laptop (sony vaio)last xmas and so far so gud

I got it to 675 because my dad gets computers from Dell in bulk so he gets pretty good discounts from them. I also got it for a birthday present as well so I didnt spend a dime =P
    Well you can't go wrong with a free laptop

Well you can't go wrong with a free laptop

Haha exactly =P. Do you know when the "material for registration" & all the info that we need will be posted?

Our poor heads won't be happy! :pac:

Can't wait for the nights out , gettin out of town midweek nights is a nightmare though

• Advertisement
Advertisement