Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing NCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Maths Module descriptor content:

Sets and Operations (20%)
    • Notation • Predicates • Set Operations • Solving Problems Using Venn Diagrams • Principle of Duality • Algebra of Sets • Cardinality & Principle of Inclusion and Exclusion • Cartesian Product

Functions and Relations (20%)
    Functions from one set to another • Partial and Total Functions • Injections and Surjections • Composition of Functions • Binary Relations • Equivalence Relations • Partial Orders

Logic (20%)
    • Propositions & Logic • Predicates and Quantifiers • Truth Tables • Logic Equations • Disjunctive Normal Form • Gates • Logic Circuits

Statistics and Probability (20%)
    • Types of Data • Frequency distributions • Grouped and ungrouped data • Descriptive measures • Principles of counting - permutations and combinations • Probability • Probability rules • Probability Distributions • The Normal Distribution

Calculus (20%)
    • Average Rate of Change • The Derivative • Limits • Techniques of Differentiation – product, quotient & chain rules • Derivatives of Logarithmic and Exponential Functions • Applications of Maxima and Minima • The Second Derivative • Related Rates • Elasticity • The Indefinite Integral • Substitution • The Definite Integral – as a sum and as area • The Application of Calculus to real world problems

Maths was one of the harder subjects for me. If you are worried, I would brush up over the summer. There is really only 5 areas above (marked in bold), The Khan Academy is your friend. It may look like a lot of work from the list above, but if you stay on top of the course work you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Thanks for that I will check out that website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kaneo71

I've just finished my first year of this course and to be honest,if you love computers then this is the course for you :)
    The Maths isn't as hard as you'd think,I'd describe it as JC standard except for maybe logic.But if I can pass my first year then anybody can.
    In the first semester you learn the very basics of a computer,Maths and basic programming which is very simple :)
    Second semester is more learning about how a computer runs,operating systems and other stuff like multimedia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Kaneo71 wrote: »
    I've just finished my first year of this course and to be honest,if you love computers then this is the course for you :)
    The Maths isn't as hard as you'd think,I'd describe it as JC standard except for maybe logic.But if I can pass my first year then anybody can.
    In the first semester you learn the very basics of a computer,Maths and basic programming which is very simple :)
    Second semester is more learning about how a computer runs,operating systems and other stuff like multimedia :D

Sounds good , what's the social life like ??

After the first week there's Fresher's week where they do pub crawls,A mystery tour and chill out days and stuff,you get to know a lot of people very quickly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

Cheers Kaneo71.

What kind of students attend this course? Like male/female ratio? young/middleaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Its about an 80/20 split male/female and maybe 70/30 age wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Hi

Anyone know if the part time Computing course here is any good?
    With regards getting a job after? etc
    I have no work experience in computing.

In the middle of 3rd year you get a 6 month work placement,and according to the statistics over 90% of the interns are kept on in the job after if they're successful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

In the middle of 3rd year you get a 6 month work placement,and according to the statistics over 90% of the interns are kept on in the job after if they're successful..

Is the placement paid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

Do the part timers get a work placement too>

Don't think PT have to do the placement and payment is entirely up to the company you end up with.

Everyone (both full and part time) is required to complete Work Experience, unless they can get an exemption.

Everyone (both full and part time) is required to complete Work Experience, unless they can get an exemption.

If memory serves, this isn't applicable to PT, they need to meet a requirement(as most already work), from speaking to PT'ers, it was 600 hours in a related role, could have changed though.

Seridisand wrote: »
    If memory serves, this isn't applicable to PT, they need to meet a requirement(as most already work), from speaking to PT'ers, it was 600 hours in a related role, could have changed though.

I am going into 4th year of the PT course this September. It is still a requirement for PT student to complete work placement. However an exemption will be given if related experience can be proven.

After the first week there's Fresher's week where they do pub crawls,A mystery tour and chill out days and stuff,you get to know a lot of people very quickly :)

Get to know just people from your year or other years

I mainly know most of the people from my class but I know faces and names from other courses and years and stuff :)
    I was probably the shyest lad in my course and I ended up making friends on the first day so you've nothing to worry about :D

I mainly know most of the people from my class but I know faces and names from other courses and years and stuff :)
    I was probably the shyest lad in my course and I ended up making friends on the first day so you've nothing to worry about :D

Sounds great . What's the male female split in your course for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Absolute sausage fest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 N1tro

Pretty good course.

Heading into my 3rd year in September.

From my experience second year was awful, very boring but I done pretty well.

The benefit of second year was Android development, the downfall well software engineering (unless you like drawing shapes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gissy_T

Do much girls do this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Gissy_T wrote: »
    Do much girls do this course?

Not many really, every year depends, though from my course and course from last year there was an increase.

I am year 3, there is only about 4-5 girls.
    while Year 2 Had around 10-12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I know you guys are worried there might be enough girls in the class but remember computer science isn't the only course in the college! plenty of girls will be flowing around for your manly needs :P

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I know you guys are worried there might be enough girls in the class but remember computer science isn't the only course in the college! plenty of girls will be flowing around for your manly needs :P

Ah it's not really computing science , and just on the other point , do you get to know others from other courses, ie freshers week does everyone go regardless of being in first year or not

Ah it's not really computing science , and just on the other point , do you get to know others from other courses, ie freshers week does everyone go regardless of being in first year or not
    Heh sorry if you thought I am in NCI but I'm actually waiting for my offer on Monday :P I've been to the college when it was busy and plenty of gender mix.

Anyway, onto your question I'm not entirely sure but I think freshers week is for first years only. I think it would make it sense as it helps you to get to know people in your year group.

Heh sorry if you thought I am in NCI but I'm actually waiting for my offer on Monday :P I've been to the college when it was busy and plenty of gender mix.

Anyway, onto your question I'm not entirely sure but I think freshers week is for first years only. I think it would make it sense as it helps you to get to know people in your year group.

Haha alri , waiting for my offer aswell, yeah I thought it might be but I've heard that the college uses it for a giant piss up. I'm sure the 2 of us once we get in will pull a few of the lady's

Haha alri , waiting for my offer aswell, yeah I thought it might be but I've heard that the college uses it for a giant piss up. I'm sure the 2 of us once we get in will pull a few of the lady's
    Aye they don't know what is going to hit them ;)

Aye they don't know what is going to hit them ;)

Not at all , should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Most girls you see in college are in school of business.

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    Most girls you see in college are in school of business.

Most common courses , but do courses mix is what I want to know

Advertisement