Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaningless words on menus

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

"Vegetarian option"

What it really should say is "we'll see what scraps we can defrost, throw into a tin of tomatoes and pour of yesterday's pasta that's been kept in hot water to stay "fresh".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

'Carefully selected'

'Finest ingredients'

A 'medley' of whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Hand cut sandwiches.

:confused:

wouldn't fancy a robot cut sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

1966 wrote: »
    "Pan fried........"

Does this sound posher than plain old "fried"????

In cooking terms pan fried is different to regular fried. Fried implies that it was deep fried, like in a chipper.

Pan Fried is a small amount of oil in a cooking pan, you fry one side of the item and then flip it and fry the other side. It is a more old fashioned way to fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

dnos.

Oh yeah, it's soup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blue note wrote: »
    Chips usually have these phrases as well; hand-cut, homemade, twice cooked, etc all mean frozen chips 9 times out of 10.
    I would have thought its the opposite. I can't recall ever getting typical frozen supermarket type chips where a menu said any of those things. I have seen bags of chips outside restaurants in the morning, which were not frozen and cut. I suppose you could freeze these but they are not typical supermarket chips, which are partially cooked.

Some authority did DNA tests on fish here, most fresh cod in chippers was indeed cod, most smoked cod was not. The chipper near me now has "fresh cod", "portion of white fish", and "smoked white fish". Most chippers would be using frozen cod of course, fresh in effect means a fillet rather than the processed "portion" which is just a big fish finger in batter.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭alabandical

It's the in-between menu filler that really grinds my grapes.

...served with an accompaniment of...
    ...resting on a bed of...
    ...paired lovingly with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Shenshen wrote: »
    "Vegetarian option"

What it really should say is "we'll see what scraps we can defrost, throw into a tin of tomatoes and pour of yesterday's pasta that's been kept in hot water to stay "fresh".

Proper order!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Hand cut sandwiches.

:confused:

Along with Freshly Cut Sandwiches. Do they sit on a shelf in the kitchen for a week and get cut in half before serving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

LenaClaire wrote: »
    In cooking terms pan fried is different to regular fried. Fried implies that it was deep fried, like in a chipper.

Pan Fried is a small amount of oil in a cooking pan, you fry one side of the item and then flip it and fry the other side. It is a more old fashioned way to fry.

Pan fried steak would fried steak suggest it was done in a deep fryer?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Corn fed chicken

Lelantos wrote: »
    Pan fried steak would fried steak suggest it was done in a deep fryer?

Yes, there is a dish like that, a steak is breaded and deep fried. Usually a very cheap cut of steak in a place like a diner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Keith wrote: »
    They dont even make a label with my name on it :(
    People are idiots.

I can't understand the fuss either it's just a bottle of Coke. This is why I also never go to Homebase with my friend Matt White, he goes crazy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was in a restaurant with friends and the menu had words like "Hungry" "Starving" etc over the lists. One of the girls, who works in a kitchen, says to the waitress "what kind of food is 'peckish'?":rolleyes:
    That's actually quite a good idea.
    wouldn't fancy a robot cut sandwich
    I would. Those triangles would be millimetre perfect.

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Yes, there is a dish like that, a steak is breaded and deep fried. Usually a very cheap cut of steak in a place like a diner.

So it wouldn't be on a pretentious menu?
    The point being that pan fried is redundant. You would always asume it would be pan fried, deep fried would be unusual & perhaps that would deserve mention on a greasy spoon menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Shenshen wrote: »
    "Vegetarian option"

Sucks to be veggie! :pac::p

My personal bugbear is "x...nestling in a bed of our own garden leaves" pretentious way of saying Tescos own brand rocket.

So it wouldn't be on a pretentious menu?
    The point being that pan fried is redundant. You would always asume it would be pan fried, deep fried would be unusual & perhaps that would deserve mention on a greasy spoon menu

I think the only reason they say pan fried is to note it is not grilled over fire.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that Fried and Pan Fried are two different cooking styles so technically, it is not redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"angrily prepared by .."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I dont know what 'Jus' means

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »

Jus the 2 of us, we can make it if we try, jus the 2 of us, you and I

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

"homemade"

like f**k it is, some sweaty chef or baker made it in a kitchen or factory somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

kneemos wrote: »
    Marketing is all about personalisation apparently like the new Coke cans with names on them,I've vowed never to buy one.

No cola for you then.....I can`t imagine you`ll be standing next to someone with a "Share a Coke with Kneemos" can any time soon.

Seriously though, totally agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Siosleis wrote: »
    A "melody" of desserts.
    It's medley!MEDLEY!

Cant help but think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmkyDTX08Y#t=0m44s

I also think Jim Carrey would approve of this thread.

http://klipd.com/watch/dumb-and-dumber/what-is-the-soup-du-jour-scene

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

iDave wrote: »

Watery gravy, and not much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

"angrily prepared by .."

"bitterly prepared by..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

From the other side of the coin, worked in a hotel bar where the menu listed "homemade chips" which were clearly of the frozen bought in type. A customer complained and the head chef who was a lunatic came out with the bag of chips, planted them on her table and asked her what was written on the bag, "home made". He walked off proud without any hint that he realised the problem.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was in a restaurant the other day which had 'seasonal vegetables' on the menu. They were mixed frozen peas and that teeny cubed carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Jus the 2 of us, we can make it if we try, jus the 2 of us, you and I

Well done, you are todays winner of Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Jus.

Or specifically, a "suggestion" of redcurrant jus.

A pile of pretentious pish, more like.

Advertisement