Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaningless words on menus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Burger King "Flame Grilled"... Pretty sure I've seen them putting burgers in microwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

MadsL wrote: »
    As a former hospitality manager: All I hear there is an attempt for someone to be polite and offer a suggestion of your next item, and an unnecessarily snide response from you.

Is it too much just to say "No, thank you, but I'd love a jug of icewater"

Really...do you think this will get you better service by that attitude?

I am not interested in better service, or indeed any service at all, in such establishments. Am I to take it that since yourself is a former Hospitality Manager, you are in part responsible for the crimes against spoken language such as that related up-thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I saw 'Fried chicken with general sauce' on a Chinese take away menu.

I mean... what sauce could that possibly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Waiters mooching around with massive pepper mills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

GvidoR wrote: »

Sounds better than "Minced Meat"... I mean, at least tell me wtf I'm about to eat!
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Waiters mooching around with massive pepper mills.

Yea please... a bit more, no... a bit more... aw, too much, take it away and get me another one!

• Advertisement

Sort of a General-Purpose, one-flavour-fits-all, sauce, perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Zaph wrote: »
    My wife and I were having dinner in a pretty upmarket hotel one evening when the waitress came over to us and asked if she could introduce us to that evening's butter dish. There were three different kinds of butter (regular, saffron and something else, as opposed to Kerrygold, Avonmore and Tesco) and presumably they change regularly. It was a new low for pretentiousness that I've experienced first hand.

What do you want her to say? She's helpfully and politely describing what is served to you.

"Howya? That's That, this is that, and the other is the other. See ya."

Honestly, if you want food presented with no pride, integrity, and passion - eat at a fast food place.

Saffron butter sounds yummy. Where's this great restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jus = gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

smash wrote: »
    Sounds better than "Minced Meat"... I mean, at least tell me wtf I'm about to eat!

lol, I think that's as bad as it gets.

General Tso's...classic dish.

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/general-tsos-chicken-164706

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Sweet baby jebus & the wee donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I think everyone in this thread would really appreciate this menu. It's for a fake restaurant that rips the piss out of pretentious nonsense in menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Gastro-pub

What wankology is this? Like, ffs I know what paprika costs, and it's definitely not the extra E8 I have to pay to get it all over my chips.

I think everyone in this thread would really appreciate this menu. It's for a fake restaurant that rips the piss out of pretentious nonsense in menus.

Brilliant! :pac::pac::pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    I am not interested in better service, or indeed any service at all, in such establishments.

Don't go then, then you will nothing to complain about. Problem solved. I'm sure the staff will be relieved. ;)
    Am I to take it that since yourself is a former Hospitality Manager, you are in part responsible for the crimes against spoken language such as that related up-thread??

What is wrong with;

1. Frappacino (it is a type of drink)
    2. For yourself (a polite form of address very common in Ireland, as you are using your good self in this very thread)
    3. At all (the irish version of perhaps)

And "up-thread" really, after complaining about crimes against language? :D

Yeah, "clumps of turkey in tomato scum" sounds great, I'll have that.

Hipster fail.

EDIT: Ah, fake. Really thought someone was dumb enough to try that approach.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Sweet baby jebus & the wee donkey

"Snuggled" LOL

I see you have played knifey-spooney before.

jus = gravy

Gravy is not jus.

Jus is just the meat juices from the pan.
    Gravy is the thickened meat juices (cornstarch and/or flour, browning, and other seasonings added)

Calling something served au jus is the chef being accurate, that could be important for some who is celiac for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

crockholm wrote: »
    Potatoe.

Tomatoe

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

As bad as those words are when they don't even spell check them it's even worse. Was in a restaurant last week where there were 9 spelling mistakes on the menu and it was not just the fancy words " 2 corse menu"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

polydactyl wrote: »
    As bad as those words are when they don't even spell check them it's even worse. Was in a restaurant last week where there were 9 spelling mistakes on the menu and it was not just the fancy words " 2 corse menu"

Corse an archaic word for corpse.

You sure you were not eating the dead? :D

((does anyone know can your change the spell settings from US-English to our version of English on boards??)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Fairly sure unless the lamb shank was not really lamb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

polydactyl wrote: »
    Fairly sure unless the lamb shank was not really lamb :)

Probably horse.

MadsL wrote: »
    Don't go then, then you will nothing to complain about. Problem solved. I'm sure the staff will be relieved. ;)

What is wrong with;

1. Frappacino (it is a type of drink)
    2. For yourself (a polite form of address very common in Ireland, as you are using your good self in this very thread)
    3. At all (the irish version of perhaps)

And "up-thread" really, after complaining about crimes against language? :D

Yes, I see the problem now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Siosleis

A "melody" of desserts.
    It's medley!MEDLEY!

MadsL, you really are taking this thread seriously! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

jus = gravy

I had a job once, where several times a week, as part of my job, I would have to type and print the nightly restaurant menu's - from the handwritten menu the head chef would prepare...

On one occasion I went to the kitchen, pointed out a word (illegibly scrawled on the page) and asked him what it was... it was "jus" he started to lecture me as to what a jus was.. to which I replied - I know what it means I just couldnt read your writing.

condescending obnoxious pr1ck. Funny thing is most of what he did was mass feeding of people, not a shiitake mushroom foam in sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

"Homemade X" in a restaurant or shop. Unless you cooked the burger at home then rushed it over to the restaurant then its not homemade, and if it is I don't want it.

Or panini. Panino is sandwich in Italian. Panini is sandwiches. Paninis is wrong on so many levels and sounds like a penis made of bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Was in a restaurant with friends and the menu had words like "Hungry" "Starving" etc over the lists. One of the girls, who works in a kitchen, says to the waitress "what kind of food is 'peckish'?":rolleyes:

Advertisement