Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaningless words on menus

Options
  • 14-08-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else see words on menus and assume them to be utterly meaningless?

I walked by a pub with a menu outside it today advertising "fresh craft ale battered cod". From that safely we can assume that it's battered fish. It's probably cod, although possibly haddock or pollack or something. There is probably a smidgen of some sort of ale in the mixture, but a negligible amount. And it's almost certainly a piece of fish that has at some time been frozen.

Chips usually have these phrases as well; hand-cut, homemade, twice cooked, etc all mean frozen chips 9 times out of 10.

I'm not saying that these things are never true, but I find them untrue often enough for me to ignore them on a menu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

The worst phrase to see on a menu or sign for food, 'Lovingly Prepared' or some similar nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Spicey' or 'hot'...without using Sambal Oelek or Wasabi :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was it fresh craft ale or fresh cod,they seem to be getting more and more cryptic with their wording these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Not a menu, but if you ever buy a packet of Keoghs crisps, on the back of the bag it gives the name of the person who made that batch. Who gives a flying f*ck??
    Edit: Like This

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Hand cut sandwiches.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

CONTAINS NO TRACES OF HORSE MEAT

Keith wrote: »
    Not a menu, but if you ever buy a packet of Keoghs crisps, on the back of the bag it gives the name of the person who made that batch. Who gives a flying f*ck??
    Edit: Like This

Marketing is all about personalisation apparently like the new Coke cans with names on them,I've vowed never to buy one.

kneemos wrote: »
    Marketing is all about personalisation apparently like the new Coke cans with names on them,I've vowed never to buy one.

They dont even make a label with my name on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, know what you mean OP but it's intended to sound artisan and extra special.
    Incidentally I like when they add what type of fish/meat/cheese was used. It means I don't have to ask.
    This is one of my fav items on a menu, copied from their webpage.
    Kai Style Reuben: Pastrami, melted Maryland cheddar, pickled cabbage + purple ‘slaw w/ mustard mayo on flat bread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

George Carlin says it quite good:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's done to make pretentious foodie muppets feel good about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's a place in my town offering 'home made Italian pizza'.

Amazing it doesn't get cold on the way over to Ireland.

What's your name?

What's your name?

Pepsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Partial credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Chef's special sauce.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

kneemos wrote: »

People posting pictures of a coke can on facebook "I finally found my name".
    its a can of coke ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I always giggled a little at "soup of the day". I nearly expect to see a newspaper just like in The Simpsons with a big picture of the soup on the front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Soup of the day, catch of the day, potatoes of the night.

Rustic chips can jog on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

'Service not included', of course it is, do I have to pay extra for someone to carry the plate from the kitchen to the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hand cut sandwiches.

:confused:

I prefer laser-cut sandwiches myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Menus for coffee and wine etc, I'd imagine the people who write up the descriptions have great fun though!

Examples here:

http://www.coffeebytheroast.com/page2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Potatoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Bajingo wrote: »
    The worst phrase to see on a menu or sign for food, 'Lovingly Prepared' or some similar nonsense!

Applies to everything in this cookbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

biko wrote: »
    Aye, know what you mean OP but it's intended to sound artisan and extra special.
    Incidentally I like when they add what type of fish/meat/cheese was used. It means I don't have to ask.
    This is one of my fav items on a menu, copied from their webpage.
    Kai Style Reuben: Pastrami, melted Maryland cheddar, pickled cabbage + purple ‘slaw w/ mustard mayo on flat bread

That of course gives less information about the meat than might be expected from traditional (could have been cow, sheep or pig) or modern (often turkey) sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

blue note wrote: »
    Does anyone else see words on menus and assume them to be utterly meaningless?

I walked by a pub with a menu outside it today advertising "fresh craft ale battered cod". From that safely we can assume that it's battered fish. It's probably cod, although possibly haddock or pollack or something. There is probably a smidgen of some sort of ale in the mixture, but a negligible amount. And it's almost certainly a piece of fish that has at some time been frozen.

Chips usually have these phrases as well; hand-cut, homemade, twice cooked, etc all mean frozen chips 9 times out of 10.

I'm not saying that these things are never true, but I find them untrue often enough for me to ignore them on a menu.

You're definitley eating in the wrong places. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

They do now that you have become one us:D

• Advertisement

They do a "ME" for narcissistic types.

Advertisement