Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

Due to a day where i felt like not getting up my back is now feckin agony. Can't even wallow in my misery without a penalty of some sort.. Ah well.. Painkillers and yet more tea.

How is everyone today?

Sucks you can't even lie about for the day without having to suffer! I'm just meh today...averting panic of having to go into hospital on Monday by busying myself with watching stuff on youtube.

I'm calmer now I know I'm going to be doing something about all of 'this'... I was very amused yesterday with the depression link i posted there a few posts ago...very well done.

Any weekend plans? Anyone?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anahita wrote: »
    Sucks you can't even lie about for the day without having to suffer! I'm just meh today...averting panic of having to go into hospital on Monday by busying myself with watching stuff on youtube.

I'm calmer now I know I'm going to be doing something about all of 'this'... I was very amused yesterday with the depression link i posted there a few posts ago...very well done.

Any weekend plans? Anyone?

I read that, fun alright, webcomics keep me going some days.. Delighted you opted to go to hospital, i've never been though ponder it sometimes. I'll be working all weekend.

No fun working for the weekend.

I'm mostly trying to avoid watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No fun working for the weekend.

I'm mostly trying to avoid watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I don't mind because if i'm not i feel i have to go out, but my nerves or social anxiety or whatever kicks in and it is usually a messed up experience

That's no fun...both the pressure to go out and the anxiety once you are there. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

That's no fun...both the pressure to go out and the anxiety once you are there. :(

It is quite a stressful situation. First the stress of getting ready to go out, then when out having to endure an evening when one is feeling below par.
    Wow, I have been there so many times, hard for nearest and dearest to support and understand .It is so frustrating.

There is a lot of hopefullness in this documentary that the hippocampus in depressed people can renew itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Party downstairs, my sister having a house party and I'm now at the point that I'm petrified of people seeing me. I just am so scared. I came up and washed my face for the second time in an hour because I saw some redness (washing won't get rid of that) and I just feel like the mostly tightly wound thing you can imagine. This is no quality of life at all :(

Party downstairs, my sister having a house party and I'm now at the point that I'm petrified of people seeing me. I just am so scared. I came up and washed my face for the second time in an hour because I saw some redness (washing won't get rid of that) and I just feel like the mostly tightly wound thing you can imagine. This is no quality of life at all :(

CMJ,

Come on, you can do it.
    Back down stairs , mingle , a few words with a number of people. Help organising the food and drink.Enjoy the music. In a few hours it will be over.
    Don't lock yourself away. We know you can do it.

PS. Where is the party and we will all call around?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I second Dels advice. It's never as bad as you make it out to be in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gockers

I know the feeling. My advice to you is to go down and pop your head in and chat to the people you feel comfortable around. Just tell them you are not in a party/sociable mood and you're going to turn in for the night. This means you gave it a go and it takes some of the anxiety away. And you never know, you may start to relax. You might even find that these people identify with you. Depressed or not depressed, we've all been there when it's too hard to put on the nicey nicey 'party' switch.

Just remember we're all only human and each and every one of those people at the party are fighting their own personal battles :)

I have a technique when I get anxious. I take myself off to the bathroom, sit down, take long deep breaths in and out of my nose, say in my head or out loud 'STOP' (eg to the bad thoughts/anxiety) and repeat 5 positive sentences in my head or out loud like 'you are on track/you're doing great/look at how much you have achieved etc. etc.' and keep doing this until you feel relaxed and centred. You can even do this at the actual party. It sounds a bit hippy-ish but I'm telling you, it works. It got out away from a few months of hiding in the house back to social mode within 2 days.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Thanks for the advice, under usual 'just anxious' circumstances I may have used it but not when my skins red, it feels like i'm this ****ing sickness. I don't feel presentable and I was supposed to go out and meet a friend for a pint and I can't even do that now. I'm being controlled by this ****.

Thanks for the advice, under usual 'just anxious' circumstances I may have used it but not when my skins red, it feels like i'm this ****ing sickness. I don't feel presentable and I was supposed to go out and meet a friend for a pint and I can't even do that now. I'm being controlled by this ****.

CMJ,

Hope you are feeling a bit brighter today.

How did last night play out in the end, not that it matters too much as it is in the past.

Just anxious to know that you are ok

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has anyone here tried hypnosis for anxiety?

eh i dunno wrote: »

This won't help :rolleyes: but i haven't tried because i feel too sceptical, if you doubt something enough i doubt you can allow it to work.. I have friends who have gone that route however and have found great relief..

My opinion on it is the same as most approaches - you can't be helped if you either don't want it, or don't believe in it.. I hope to be accepting of all angles of my treatment some time.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

eh i dunno wrote: »

Yes I have and it worked great for me, still there were issues of anxiety that were not dealt with using hypnosis but it did stop panic attacks for me. I found a combination of bio energy, counselling, reflexology, kinesiology,massage and good friends most useful. A lot depends on the person you are working with too and each to their own way of dealing with anxiety.

I've accepted that anxiety is something that is part of my make up and have found ways of dealing with the anxiety. Some of the treatments that were not so useful for me were acupuncture, reiki, EFT and CBT so I think it is really finding help that suits you most.
    No one else heals you or fixes you, as far as I'm concerned you have all the resources within you to help yourself, sometimes someones elses advice on how to do that is very useful.

Trig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Like Trigger I didn't find acupuncture very good at all. That's not to say that others will have the same results though.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey,

So met my consult psych the other day for check-up went grand. She is happy with my progress but squirmed when I told her I tore both my groins :pac:.

She said I need to relax a little bit more as I am quite active and very busy in work approx. 55+ hours a week. I have a personal trainer and tbf in good shape atm but needs more work to protect my spine injury.

The thing is she said that I maybe I should consider changing from pilates to something like Tai Chi as its good for anxiety (meditiative), flexibility and core. I get a lot of injuries from the spine but pilates don't seem to be as much of a benefit as first thought.

The main reason is that I need to feel like I am doing something. She said this martial art isn't Tai Chi and wasn't 100% sure of the name. I thought she said Du Zhong but my googling hasn't turned up any hits yet.

Does anyone know the name of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

trigger26 wrote: »
    Yes I have and it worked great for me, still there were issues of anxiety that were not dealt with using hypnosis but it did stop panic attacks for me. I found a combination of bio energy, counselling, reflexology, kinesiology,massage and good friends most useful. A lot depends on the person you are working with too and each to their own way of dealing with anxiety.

I've accepted that anxiety is something that is part of my make up and have found ways of dealing with the anxiety. Some of the treatments that were not so useful for me were acupuncture, reiki, EFT and CBT so I think it is really finding help that suits you most.
    No one else heals you or fixes you, as far as I'm concerned you have all the resources within you to help yourself, sometimes someones elses advice on how to do that is very useful.

Trig

Can I ask how long ago have u had these treatments? Im just wondering are these good for long term use...like I did reiki and EFT, I found they benefited me but only for 2/3 weeks :/ I have been thinking about bio healing but kinda thinking it wont have much of any effect on me

Can I ask how long ago have u had these treatments? Im just wondering are these good for long term use...like I did reiki and EFT, I found they benefited me but only for 2/3 weeks :/ I have been thinking about bio healing but kinda thinking it wont have much of any effect on me

Have you been in contact with your GP as first port of call?

While alternative and complimentary medicine have their place, I put my faith in traditional medicine and sciences first.

Personally I would recommend talking to your GP first, before embarking on programmes and expense which may not produce the long term result you require.

• Advertisement

Have you been in contact with your GP as first port of call?

While alternative and complimentary medicine have their place, I put my faith in traditional medicine and sciences first.

Personally I would recommend talking to your GP first, before embarking on programmes and expense which may not produce the long term result you require.

no I havent and I don't plan to unless I feel I really need to, GP and pills would be last port of call for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

no I havent and I don't plan to unless I feel I really need to, GP and pills would be last port of call for me

As long as you're open to seeing your GP that's good. But I would recommend if your situation was to worsen that it would be the first trip to make.

Alternative therapy just isn't as good as actual medication for serious mental health problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

There's a word for alternative medicine that works; MEDICINE ;)

As long as you're open to seeing your GP that's good. But I would recommend if your situation was to worsen that it would be the first trip to make.

Alternative therapy just isn't as good as actual medication for serious mental health problems.

I know AT isn't medication, I don't have serious mental issues, its just anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hey,

So met my consult psych the other day for check-up went grand. She is happy with my progress but squirmed when I told her I tore both my groins :pac:.

She said I need to relax a little bit more as I am quite active and very busy in work approx. 55+ hours a week. I have a personal trainer and tbf in good shape atm but needs more work to protect my spine injury.

The thing is she said that I maybe I should consider changing from pilates to something like Tai Chi as its good for anxiety (meditiative), flexibility and core. I get a lot of injuries from the spine but pilates don't seem to be as much of a benefit as first thought.

The main reason is that I need to feel like I am doing something. She said this martial art isn't Tai Chi and wasn't 100% sure of the name. I thought she said Du Zhong but my googling hasn't turned up any hits yet.

Does anyone know the name of it?
    Chi Kung a.k.a. Qi Gong

Not your ornery onager

There's a word for alternative medicine that works; MEDICINE ;)

Sure. No issues with people trying "Alternatives" , but at least get a proper diagnosis from a GP. Indeed I know GP's may often recommend yoga and reiki as ways to supplement one's recovery.

Self diagnosis and attending Reiki , I am not convinced are the way to go.

After all why did a GP spend 7 years at university studying medicine supplemented by years of various on the job training.?

Reiki practitioners can set up practice with fewer qualifications than a GP.

Sorry, science and mainstream medicine for me .

I know AT isn't medication, I don't have serious mental issues, its just anxiety

I think it is important to at least get a proper diagnosis from a GP before embarking on self diagnosis and "alternatives".

Your money may well be best spent on a trip to you GP first, imho.:)

I think it is important to at least get a proper diagnosis from a GP before embarking on self diagnosis and "alternatives".

Your money may well be best spent on a trip to you GP first, imho.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

CBT for triggers.
    Meditation for low-lying daily anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The thought of college and these college applications is making me feel even worse than normal :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement