Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigar smokers, whats in your humidor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ramose wrote: »
    I don't own a fancy humidor, i just have a custom made marble box with the design of a humidor. There i like to store my cuban cigar :D

So you put your one cigar in a wooden box? A drawer would be just as good, would of saved you the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

A Humidor, fancy or not; really is essential for keeping quality cigars in top condition for any period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Faith+1 wrote: »
    So you put your one cigar in a wooden box? A drawer would be just as good, would of saved you the effort.

A plain old drawer would be fine as long as you don't mind it getting ruined over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

How do you guys feel about humidity packs and tupperwear?
    I've kept cigars in one for months and I think they work fine for a cheap setup.

Humi pack & Tupperware box is absolutely fine for storing cigars.. a friend of mine has been keeping 'em that way for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

quinnp wrote: »
    Humi pack & Tupperware box is absolutely fine for storing cigars.. a friend of mine has been keeping 'em that way for years.

Just be careful of moisture. Make sure they are stored correctly but Tupperware may have a small build up f condensation which will cause mould. And that will just destroy it.

Or you could just smoke em.

Added 10 Partagas serie D no.4 robustos, 10 Zino Embassy Selection Perfectos & 5 Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Robustos to the humi...

Ordered from cigarworld.de. My favorite site for on-line cigar purchases. Fantasic selection of top quality smokes, & prompt delivery with UPS.

Might need to pick up another Humidor as the collection is growing fast.

Or maybe I could just smoke more...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Added 10 Partagas serie D no.4 robustos

This is a fabulous cigar, definitely one of my favorites. There is some kick off it though, may not suit everyone :D

Not sure if you know www.cigarworld.ch? Get mine from there, usually excellent quality and service (on the rare occasion that I have received bad cigars from them they offered a full refund, no questions asked).

They also seem to be cheaper than cigarworld.de on first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm currently awaiting an order from cigarworld.de (thanks for the tip). It is as follows:

Montecristo Nr. 4 x 5
    Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs x 3
    Punch punch x 2
    H. Upmann Regalias x 2
    Hoyo de Monterrey Du Prince x 2
    Flor de Cano Petit Corona x 3

I am currently re-discovering cigars having been an intermittent cigar smoker for some years. The wife is also interested in having a smoke from time to time, hence some of the lighter choices above. I am most looking forward to the Punch Punch but will leave them a little while.

I had quite a bit of trouble getting distilled water for my humidor, but happily found some on amazon. Has anyone got any lately in Dublin? I could find de-ionised, sterilised (no guarantee on the method used), purified, but not distilled. Does it matter? Seemed like a minefield.

..can be obtained in Halfords or any motor factors, as it's commonly used for topping up car & motorbike batteries.:)

• Advertisement

What Halford's seem to sell is "Battery Top Up Water" - which is further described as being deionised, rather than distilled. But whether this is of any importance seems open to debate. Technically I don't believe this is distilled, whether that matters is a separate matter. Some say it does and some say it doesn't.

I had a pharmacist tell me they don't stock distilled water anymore as it is too expensive, which would also lead me to believe it isn't what Halford's are selling for €1.00 per litre.

I won't even bring "purified water" into the debate!

To be honest, I use filtered spring water for mine, (still Ballygowan through a Brita jug) & have had no problems with residue building up in the humidifier. Handier to get too..:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

bugler wrote: »
    I had quite a bit of trouble getting distilled water for my humidor, but happily found some on amazon. Has anyone got any lately in Dublin? I could find de-ionised, sterilised (no guarantee on the method used), purified, but not distilled. Does it matter? Seemed like a minefield.

Health food shops often have it - ilac centre and a place on George's street spring to mind. Usually slightly more expensive than spring water, eg €2 for 500ml. You can also use the rest of the bottle for whiskey if you like!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To be honest, I use filtered spring water for mine, (still Ballygowan through a Brita jug) & have had no problems with residue building up in the humidifier. Handier to get too..:D

Mould/mineral deposits in the cigar are the concern, not damage to the humidifier.

Mould/mineral deposits in the cigar are the concern, not damage to the humidifier.

Has'nt happened to me yet in nearly ten years of keeping cigars this way.

The chances of Mould/ Mineral deposits forming in a cigar from filtered water being used in the humidifier are minimal.

In fact, when cigars are being made in the factories in Cuba & the Dominican Republic. the leaves are rehydrated after being dried in the curing barns with ordinary tap water,( I've witnessed this myself on trips to cigar factories in both countries), which makes them more pliable for the torcedor when he/she is rolling the cigar.
    They are then left to rest to attain optimum humidity before being packed and sold. (Without any mould forming after being drenched in ordinary tap water)

The main problem with using unfiltered tapwater is that limescale deposits can build up in the humidification device & the pores can become blocked rendering the device useless..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Some time ago i had a few of boxes of cuban cigars which I had to store for a friends wedding some months aways.
    After talking to a guy in one of the cigar shops(I wont mention the one since he kinda talked the shop out of some business)
    He advised me to store time in a tuberware box and he sold me some humidifying fluid - I had a thermometer and hygrometer from a kids weather station
    and followed the directions of some online forums
    The cigars kept well and when ever i am given cigars I store them similarly for a big occasion.

If find all the shops Decent Cigar.., Foxes and Petersons are very helpful with advice

bugler wrote: »
    I'm currently awaiting an order from cigarworld.de (thanks for the tip). It is as follows:

Montecristo Nr. 4 x 5
    Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs x 3
    Punch punch x 2
    H. Upmann Regalias x 2
    Hoyo de Monterrey Du Prince x 2
    Flor de Cano Petit Corona x 3

So my order arrived yesterday in good...erm, order. Shipping didn't break any speed records but not too bad. DHL DE seem to have handed it off to An Post once here.

Well (and discretely) packaged. All the cigars look in fine shape. Looking forward to starting into them today, but will start with the freebie from Panama - expectations are pretty low :-)

vs Irish stores, I saved approx €4 on a montecristo no 4, and a whopping €7.00 or so on a Punch Punch (these are the only two I could find an online listing for on the Irish stores sites), so you'll make back the shipping cost pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derekym

Do you have any pics of what you mean please?

I got a beautiful cohiba esplendidos box from a friend of mine and I like to find out a smart humidor for 'em

derekym wrote: »
    I got a beautiful cohiba esplendidos box from a friend of mine and I like to find out a smart humidor for 'em

Here's a good place to start looking..

http://www.humidordiscount.com

Adorini humidors are good quality at reasonable prices. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If a smart humidor is your requirement then you'll not do much better then a Manning, made just down the road in Bagnelstown. Truly beautiful bits of wood.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

In your opinion lads what's an average price for a good 'nd smart humidor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

That is a "How long is a bit of string" question.
    It depends on your requirements. If you only need to store a pair of robustos for a couple of weeks then a €50 plastic travel case will do.
    If you have 25 double coronas you'll need a bigger box and therefore a bigger cost.
    If you have several boxes ageing nicely you'll probably want to get a cabinet.

Prices range from a couple from hundreds to multiples of thousands.

/Dreams of a walk in humidor.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

oldgoat - do you have a contact or link for the Manning product??

OldGoat wrote: »
    That is a "How long is a bit of string" question.
    It depends on your requirements. If you only need to store a pair of robustos for a couple of weeks then a €50 plastic travel case will do.
    If you have 25 double coronas you'll need a bigger box and therefore a bigger cost.
    If you have several boxes ageing nicely you'll probably want to get a cabinet.

Prices range from a couple from hundreds to multiples of thousands.

/Dreams of a walk in humidor.

Thanks for your tip, acutally I got 2 boxes from my friend and I am going to take one for myself and the second I don't know, mightbe a gift mightbe i 'll sell it, to be honest I don't have any clue of its market price

rjv7.jpghttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/rjv7.jpg/
    rjv7.jpg

derekym wrote: »
    Thanks for your tip, acutally I got 2 boxes from my friend and I am going to take one for myself and the second I don't know, mightbe a gift mightbe i 'll sell it, to be honest I don't have any clue of its market price

rjv7.jpghttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/rjv7.jpg/
    rjv7.jpg

2 boxes of Cohiba Esplendidos.?? (sorry I cant open your links in work);)

Each Cigar retails here for about €33, a box is upwards of €800...

Be careful of esplendido's.
    got a tip that there are more forgeries floating than there are fake €50 notes.

If its too good to be true........

nanook wrote: »
    Be careful of esplendido's.
    got a tip that there are more forgeries floating than there are fake €50 notes.

If its too good to be true........

Your tip is good, but my friend 's been living in Cuba for several years now, he knows very well how to avoid forgeries and so far he's never disappointed me

rjv7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^Now you're just teasing!! Show me the inside!!:cool:

• Advertisement

Btw

Just to update

5 2004 sublimes
    25 d4 montes in a cracking travel humidor, Spanish regional edition

Advertisement