Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigar smokers, whats in your humidor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 derekym

Faith+1 wrote: »
    ^^^^Now you're just teasing!! Show me the inside!!:cool:

no teasing man!

e4jm.jpg
    e4jm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

oldgoat - do you have a contact or link for the Manning product??

From http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/1796

"Manning humidors are available in fine tobacco shops around the world. They retail for $1,250 for the smallest size, which holds 75 cigars, and go up to $1,950 for the largest, which holds 200 cigars."

Quite an old link, but it gives you an idea of the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

derekym wrote: »
    no teasing man!

e4jm.jpg
    e4jm.jpg

My god you're a lucky man!:cool:

My god you're a lucky man!:cool:

I know, thanks mate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Ironically manning humidors, I believe, were originally produced in Carlow. For the life of me I can not confirm if they are still being produced there any more.
    I have tried calling various mannings in banglestown but to no avail.

bugler wrote: »
    From http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/1796

"Manning humidors are available in fine tobacco shops around the world. They retail for $1,250 for the smallest size, which holds 75 cigars, and go up to $1,950 for the largest, which holds 200 cigars."

Quite an old link, but it gives you an idea of the price range.

• Advertisement

Several different listings for them around, perhaps all are not active, or maybe you've tried them all!

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/manning-humidors-ltd-bagenalstown
    http://www.yelp.ie/biz/manning-furniture-ltd-bagenalstown
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/manning-furniture-makers-bagenalstown/1/

Quite a history behind them.

I'm currently awaiting an order from cigarworld.de (thanks for the tip). It is as follows:

Montecristo Nr. 4 x 5
    Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs x 3
    Punch punch x 2
    H. Upmann Regalias x 2
    Hoyo de Monterrey Du Prince x 2
    Flor de Cano Petit Corona x 3

I can't say I have had a great time of it so far. Only the Montecristos have provided any pleasure.

I started with a Flor de Cano - plugged. Had to work hard to get any smoke out of it. Lovely floral, sweet scent from it but such hard work and not very rewarding. Battled toward the last third but lost patience and quit.

R & J Mille Fleur - Very disappointing. Not at all what I was expecting - quite harsh in fact. It reminded me of smoking bad cigars because I had no other cigars to hand. Still, at least it wasn't plugged!

2nd Flor de Cano - plugged again. Threw in the towel early this time. I am expecting the 3rd to be plugged too. Funnily enough, one of the few video reviews of the F de Cano on youtube also features a plugged one.

Wider reading suggests it isn't normal for them to draw so tight, so perhaps just poor quality control. The annoying thing is I can imagine I'd really enjoy these if I could get a good one.

Only the Monte 4s have delivered. I suppose that is part of the reason they sell so well - consistency.

I hope I have better luck from here in.

If plugged is an issue, get a skewer. Push the the centre and that will help.

If you have a humidor put them away for while.

If you are on cigarworld. Have a look at finavega 2012 edition. I swear by them.

I can't say I have had a great time of it so far. Only the Montecristos have provided any pleasure.

I started with a Flor de Cano - plugged. Had to work hard to get any smoke out of it. Lovely floral, sweet scent from it but such hard work and not very rewarding. Battled toward the last third but lost patience and quit.

R & J Mille Fleur - Very disappointing. Not at all what I was expecting - quite harsh in fact. It reminded me of smoking bad cigars because I had no other cigars to hand. Still, at least it wasn't plugged!

2nd Flor de Cano - plugged again. Threw in the towel early this time. I am expecting the 3rd to be plugged too. Funnily enough, one of the few video reviews of the F de Cano on youtube also features a plugged one.

Wider reading suggests it isn't normal for them to draw so tight, so perhaps just poor quality control. The annoying thing is I can imagine I'd really enjoy these if I could get a good one.

Only the Monte 4s have delivered. I suppose that is part of the reason they sell so well - consistency.

I hope I have better luck from here in.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

Moving to Manchester tomorrow and picked up a flying pig on Wednesday in town to enjoy tomorrow evening. Has anyone tried them and what are they like? Looking forward to relaxing with it anyway. It's about 7 inches long so I reckon I'll have about an hour of blissful relaxation to look forward to.
    Oh and can I bring it in my carry on luggage or should I pop it in my suitcase just incase?

Flying pigs. Absolutely love em. Great smoke and an hour + of enjoyment.

I was put this in a tube or travel case. You don't want to damage it.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement

no teasing man!

e4jm.jpg
    e4jm.jpg

I've finally decided to sell the Esplendidos box, but to sell them by units not the whole box as I think it would be more convenient. Some lads ask me about the best way to haul the cigars they are buying (i.e. where they can put them once bought in order to carry them safly, avoid any damage and loose of scent) As I just keen about cigars and not an expert I am not so sure about the correct answer, I 'd like to ear from you about what would be the best way to haul those cigars.

Thanks for your advice

I've finally decided to sell the Esplendidos box, but to sell them by units not the whole box as I think it would be more convenient. Some lads ask me about the best way to haul the cigars they are buying (i.e. where they can put them once bought in order to carry them safly, avoid any damage and loose of scent) As I just keen about cigars and not an expert I am not so sure about the correct answer, I 'd like to ear from you about what would be the best way to haul those cigars.

Thanks for your advice

How much are you looking for? Each I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

How much are you looking for? Each I mean?

Careful%20Now.jpg

lord lucan wrote: »
    Careful%20Now.jpg

My bad! Sorry! :o

Montecristo Nr. 4 x 5
    Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs x 3
    Punch punch x 2
    H. Upmann Regalias x 2
    Hoyo de Monterrey Du Prince x 2
    Flor de Cano Petit Corona x 3

So..things looked up eventually.

I have now sampled at least one of each of the above.

The positives have been the Monte 4, HDM du Prince, and to a lesser extent the Upmann Regalia (which was fine, they are noted as being much better if aged for some time).

The Punch Punch was a little underwhelming, I had high hopes for it.

The third and final Flor de Cano was not plugged, amazingly. It was quite nice, but I'd be put off ordering any more by the experience of the first two.

I ordered more of the HDM du Prince, in fact I ordered several more cigars with particular focus on HDM. I have found potentially a new favourite, the HDM Petit Robusto. Short and stout and delicious all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Got back last week from the Las Vegas Big Smoke event ran by Cigar Aficionado mag. Both Humidors are now full as I left the event with around 100 sticks of Robusto and Toro sizes.. :-)

quinnp wrote: »
    Got back last week from the Las Vegas Big Smoke event ran by Cigar Aficionado mag. Both Humidors are now full as I left the event with around 100 sticks of Robusto and Toro sizes.. :-)

Ohhhh that's so unfair. Followed Vegas event on twitter. So jealous it's not funny.

So was it as good as it read.

Was a good evening alright. Bit a of a stampede to get round all the vendors. But I took my time and made the most of the single malts & rum.. A great night all round, But I preferred the New York event last year..

Part of the Big Smoke freebies..

Anyone out there know whats become of the Cigars.ie crowds blog..??
    I've been following the site with interest & have been meaning to attend one of their Herfs for ages.
    I haven't seen any updates on their site since summer.. It'd be a shame if the site has ground to a halt, after of a lot of effort has been made it seems..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

el_greco still posts on the forums. Pop him a PM. Very nice chap.
    I've not been on a herf with them in a couple of years and that's something I should rectify.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

My Xmas tipple & smokes.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

My pink Tupperdor contains:
    Juan Lopez selection no.2
    ERDM Chiox Supreme
    Monte Cristo no.4

On a related note, I am on the hunt for some good value cigars. Can anyone recommend where I could get some? They don’t have to be Cuban.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

in dublin you could get own brands from any of the 3 cigar stores -
    abroad (dont forget to declare for taxes) www.cigarworld.pt and look at the bundle selections -or try info@pgchajenius in Amsterdam, they have some great value cigars.
    Petersons sell a good quality machine rolled stogie: Balmoral Coronas Deluxe.

If you are looking for machine rolled, try la guantanamera. Machine rolled Cubans and cut ready for enjoyment. I got them on the euro cigar website and I think they worked out around €2 each. For the price they were great.

So any got any updates.

Got a box of por larrañaga for Christmas. I think they are '86. Not going to smoke them.

Got some montes as well.

Waiting on a package from the states, will update when they land.

My pending order, in varying quantities:

HOYO DE MONTERREY PETIT ROBUSTO
    H.UPMANN MAGNUM 46
    PARTAGAS SHORTS
    POR LARRANAGA PETIT CORONAS
    QUAI D'ORSAY CORONAS
    MONTECRISTO EDMUNDO
    RAMON ALLONES SPECIALLY SELECTED
    RAFAEL GONZALEZ PETIT CORONAS
    H.UPMANN CONNOISSEUR NO.1
    HOYO DE MONTERREY EPICURE ESPECIAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Any suggestions for a first timer to try ?

scwazrh wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a first timer to try ?

Try something nice & mild, like a Davidoff 2000 Corona, or a Romeo & Juliet Corona. Both are a nice intro to premium cigars. :-)

• Advertisement

Was running low on sticks.. Just added 10 Partagas Serie D no.4's to the Humi. Heading to Munich for a few days in early September, so I'll take advantage of the reasonable German cigar prices & stock up until I get to this year's NYC Big Smoke....:-).

Advertisement