Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Typical stupid woman.

Before anybody gets offended or dares to call me a misogynist, I'll have you know my sister is female, so shut your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Not really offensive. Classless is the word that springs to mind. It's not exactly the sort of name I'd imagine a sophisticated person would come up with. It was originally the name of a drink the Yanks invented, wasn't it?

Im more annoyed at the hypocrisy involved. Make some plane hijackers, pearl harbour bombers or 9/11 tower droppers and they would want you dead.

I think the problem with a lot of Americans is that it's just sheer ignorance rather than malice. ''Car bomb'' is a very crude name though, so maybe ignorance isn't a good excuse, as it's obvious what it's referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

How do you make them?

Lots of jellynite.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

polydactyl wrote: »
    From all reviews they are yumm but just badly named. Not linking to the womans FB page but here is another bakery that got in trouble

From that first link:
    Other customers and friends also commented on the name.

"I actually had a friend's British fiance tell me it was offensive," Feinberg said.

I presume Feinburg is a Jewish name. Or is it really Sinn Féinburg? Eh? EH?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Ah it's in pretty bad taste, even if the cupcakes are delicious.

Seriously though, I don't get people being really offended, but I can understand people being a bit "wtf?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

You are right. It was really a WTF moment but when I questioned it and all the Americans jumped in with their " oh it's ok dear I am Irish too so its fine" then I got offended... Irritated by the name offended by the ignorance and hypocracy of the people defending it...they got mighty annoyed when I suggested it was the same as twin towers cupcakes and told me " oh you are being ridiculous now" ..... I admit to posting that to see their reaction.But hey what more did I expect on a baking forum full of middle America stay at home moms.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Offended by an American, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Some people find drinking alcohol offensive. Do you worry what they think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

It would be too sweet for me, I prefer plain.

9/11 Hot plain cakes breaking up a bit, would be more my taste.

• Advertisement

BlueJohn wrote: »
    Yet, he has written an open letter to the British government regarding the Winter Olympics in homophobic (as a result of state policy) Russia... so it seems, despite that annoying quote, he isn't immune from taking offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dpat1l

Personally I think you're dead right.... I wouldn't so much take offence as I would be insulted at the ignorance of some people. If she was in the least bit "Irish through marriage" she would see where you're coming from and I think she should understand - definitely not try to justify it! It's a bit over the top if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Yet, he has written an open letter to the British government regarding the Winter Olympics in homophobic (as a result of state policy) Russia... so it seems, despite that annoying quote, he isn't immune from taking offence.

I think that`s slightly different to what he meant by his quote. One is about speech and the other is about openly homophobic laws.

h2005 wrote: »
    I think that`s slightly different to what he meant by his quote. One is about speech and the other is about openly homophobic laws.
    IMO his quote just meant stuff he doesn't agree other people being offended by... but when it comes to stuff he's offended by, it's fine to be offended. He's a hypocrite. Yeh I know, some people just look for offence, but other times people don't choose to be offended, they just are, and it's arrogant to dismiss it.

IMO his quote just meant stuff he doesn't agree other people being offended by... but when it comes to stuff he's offended by, it's fine to be offended. He's a hypocrite. Yeh I know, some people just look for offence, but other times people don't choose to be offended, they just are, and it's arrogant to dismiss it.

The context that quote was given in was about speech it wasnt about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I just had a google for it and had a wee read of the comments on the Irish car bomb cupcake.

Some lady called Catherine complained about the name and here was a reply to her.
    And “Catherine” wants to complain about people supporting the IRA go post it on their facebook page or something

lol, Muricans.

h2005 wrote: »
    The context that quote was given in was about speech it wasnt about anything else.
    Well I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't take offence at homophobic or anti-semitic or anti intellectual speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I think we're too easily offended these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think we're too easily offended these days.

How dare you think people are easily offended these days.

Well I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't take offence at homophobic or anti-semitic or anti intellectual speech.

You`re probably right to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

I work in a bar. The only people, ever, who order a Black and Tan in Ireland are Yanks. I get offended at this, because they are a god damn pain in the ass to pour. (Half Smithwicks, half Guinness.)
    I wonder where they get the notion that this a traditional Irish drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If this thread has proven anything it's that we need a definitive 9/11 dessert recipe.

It doesn't have to be tasteless, and involve towers and explosions, but it could be.

So where do we start? Cupcakes, biscuits, jelly, meringue.....?

3060107914_e801166142_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    3060107914_e801166142_z.jpg

You'd probably need to use plain flour to make that cake.

I'm going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Those cup cakes are good, but not as nice as my Yankee Plane Bomb pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

polydactyl wrote: »
    From all reviews they are yumm but just badly named. Not linking to the womans FB page but here is another bakery that got in trouble

The store finally settled on "Lucky Leprechaun" for its cupcake name, the site reported.

I find that name more offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Americans are offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

'Mafia Sausages' now with even more made man goodness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

If you get offended by that then you must also be offended by the following names of drinks

Brain Hemorrhage - for people who have had one or know someone who did
    Jaeger Bomb - bomb. 'Nuff said
    Bloody Mary - Anyone who knows someone called Mary who died a violent death
    B-52 - Anyone who died in a B-52 plane crash
    Snake bite - obvious enough

There's loads more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Too much sensitivity me thinks!

I recall working in a bar and being asked by a group of Nordies for a pint of "Derry". Had no clue what it was but they explained it was a pint of Smithwicks with a Guinness head. I'd known that as a black and tan or a pint of special. They knew it as a pint of Derry because when you add the Guinness head, if you don't do it carefully it "explodes" (like when you open a bottle of soft drink that's been shaken).

It's not just the Americans who use these drink terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ask her for recipes for:

Drone Strike Doughnuts.

Glazed with children's tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Where are these cake samples?

Advertisement