Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Life is more enjoyable when you stop looking for things to be outraged about - it's just a cupcake, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Life is more enjoyable when you stop looking for things to be outraged about - it's just a cupcake, who cares?
    Bit disingenuous. It's not the cupcake, it's the name. You don't have to be an outrage merchant to see how "carbomb" is in poor taste.

Lately I see far more people giving out about people being offended... than people being offended. Stephen Fry, who is part of that fashion, seems like such a knob too.
    What people mean when they say "People look for offence at anything these days" is "I hate when people take offence at stuff I don't take offence at... but it's no problem for me to get offended by other stuff."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Dick Masterson

I'm not the least bit offended, I just think the name is stupid because surely the Irish weren't the first or most frequent users of carbombs, right? It's not something unique to Irish culture.

Now if they said Iraqi carbombs, then I can see how someone could be offended by that because they're very common over there nowadays after America liberated the oppressed Shiites and give them the freedom to duel with their Sunni overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Bit disingenuous. It's not the cupcake, it's the name. You don't have to be an outrage merchant to see how "carbomb" is in poor taste.

Lately I see far more people giving out about people being offended... than people being offended. Stephen Fry, who is part of that fashion, seems like such a knob too.
    What people mean when they say "People look for offence at anything these days" is "I hate when people take offence at stuff I don't take offence at... but it's no problem for me to get offended by other stuff."

It's not disingenuous - it's just not bending myself out of shape over what is an ill-advised name of a cupcake. Was it ill-advised? Yes. Is a word going to ruin my day? No - especially if the cupcake tastes good!

• Site Banned Posts: 257 ✭✭Driveby Dogboy

whats the craze with cupcakes these days anyway?

• Advertisement

whats the craze with cupcakes these days anyway?

Cupcakes are so last year, Cronuts are where its at right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

As explosive as the "Lord MountBattenberg"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Sorry, you think Stephen Fry is a knob, therefore all your opinions are suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

What a terrible name.

You should be offended by her lack of naming skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

polydactyl wrote: »
    Just came across this on a Facebook baking page I belong to. I commented to the poster that the name was horribly in bad taste and that while I knew it was based on a shot you can buy in American bars that I also found that horribly offensive. I told her about the Omagh bombing etc. She responded with " oh but I am married to a man called O Grady and have visited " the old sod" twice so its ok.

I politely pointed out that this fact made it worse as if she is so proud of her families Irish heritage that she should be even more aware of how offensive it is than most Americans who could rightly clam no knowledge of its links in history.

Am I just being overly offended? I did grow up " at the border" so do find it very offensive but am now even more irritated as she is using the " I'm Irish through marriage rubbish" to excuse it :mad:

Go back in time. Stop the Omagh bombing.
    Bake cake

or

Switch off your computer. Cut off all contact with the outside world. Wrap yourself in cotton wool and sing Disney songs all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Where I come from their called buns. Not, cupcakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Royalties Please.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Where are these cake samples?

You need a good training ground to prove your work before samples can be given out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Well I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't take offence at homophobic or anti-semitic or anti intellectual speech.

I think he'd either do something constructive about it or keep his mouth shut to be honest.
    Rather than just say "I'm offended, so you can't do/say that", which is what he's railing against in that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nothing starts a Sunday morning like a coffee and a Boston Bomb Biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Working in an Irish bar in Denver for the summer. "Irish Car Bombs" and a pint called "Black and Tan" are two of our most popular drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Jello wrote: »
    Working in an Irish bar in Denver for the summer. "Irish Car Bombs" and a pint called "Black and Tan" are two of our most popular drinks!

What about a Michael Collins - it's like a Tom Collins, but you just give it a shot in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Jello wrote: »

In all my years working in bars in Dublin, I have only been asked for a Black and Tan a handful of times, and every single time it was a Yank tourist asking for it. A young lad, (born in the US, but Irish, I guess) told me last night it's all the rage in Mayo. I don't believe him.
    Mayo people, is this true? And if so, why? I can understand a Smithwicks with a Guinness head, but half Guinness half Smithwicks, that's just stupid. And a pain in the ass to pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry.

Stephen is very intelligent and witty but he's not perfect - no one is. He made a comment a few years ago implying that women never actually enjoy sex, which was one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Stephen might be gay, but I thought a man with his education would have at least known more about a woman's anatomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

BUNS, call them by their correct name: BUNS

next you guys will be all like, mom when you go to the drugstore bring me back a gallon of soda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Pug160 wrote: »
    Stephen is very intelligent and witty but he's not perfect - no one is. He made a comment a few years ago implying that women never actually enjoy sex, which was one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Stephen might be gay, but I thought a man with his education would have at least known more about a woman's anatomy.

He forgot to finish his statement 'that women never actually enjoy sex' with him

Advertisement