Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warframe

Options
  • 04-08-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I really got in to this game lately. Already 28h++ in and I spent only 10eu on it so far too.
    Really good game and quite popular. Third place on steam after Dota2 and TF2. Any other boardsies playing? Maybe even Irish clan?

I finally built my first warframe, Rhino. I am leveling it up, but I can see already it being OP as hell. LOVE IT! :p

So far my primary load out is:

GRAKATA - Fully leveled and with some mods it is really nice weapon. Not as great at huge range, but it really works well in low/mid ranges. Good at infested. Love this gun.
    DUAL VIPERS - My favourite weapon I guess. Empty after 2 secs lol. Highly moded I kill most enemies in one burst. Great weapon to pull out when it gets hairy. One downside of this gun ,outside of empty after 2 seconds, is price of making it. You need to craft each viper separately and then make dual vipers out of them. to make it worse all xp you got on one viper ( while building second one ) will be gone when you make DUAL VIPER.
    DUAL ETHER - Good dual weapon swords. Fast and attacks more then one enmy. Great at infested.

I am leveling BOAR now. Really wanted shotgun. :p Very damn bad at low levels. I got it now to level 16 ( with catalyst ) and it starting to get a lot better. I watched akamikeb videos and BOAR can be an animal.
    Got Blueprints for VASTO ( can build now ) and GORGON ( need few more mats ), but I dont know which one I will build next. I need to level up RHINO and BOAR first before I build something else. I might skip on both and build sniper rifle first. I want to have all type of primary weapons.

So anyone of you playing too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Looks ok, don't think its the 3rd most popular game on steam tho.

Has it a pay2win model or is it fair enough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Quite fair, I think. Nothing you can't make yourself, spending cash just speeds things up. If you buy a warframe or weapon, it comes with a reactor installed that doubles the capacity for mods, but you can make those yourself too. The game's fun enough that you'd be happy to pay average game price after a few hours.

I'm happily working towards hour 150 in Warframe now. My flatmate set up the clan Daddy Bags (he's the biggest Mass Effect whore anyone's likely to meet) for a bunch of us who go LAN gaming the occasional weekend.

I suppose I've tossed maybe €50 at the game to date, the value pack on the Steam Summer Sale was too good not to pass up. I've tried out 4 Warframes now, Started with an Excalibur, but my favourites are Volt and Frost for sheer damage output, and Loki coming close behind for tricksy lulz potential. I'm a few plastids short of building my own Rhino at the moment.

Weapons are where most of my cash has gone. Big fan of a fully modded Boltor, especially against heavy armour. I recently built a Latron, but I'm not that enthused about single shot rifles, even if they are high-powered. I much prefer my Gorgon LMG, built from scratch a week or two ago and really starting to show potential with a few mods to increase ammo and damage.

Very fond of twin Lato handguns with all the damage mods. And I adore my fully levelled and modded Gram two-handed sword, ridiculous damage dealing. Frost with a Gorgon and Gram are just horrific death machines. Have a few weapons I recently built that I haven't tried yet, Lex hand cannon, Hikou shuriken, Glaive, Ether daggers and a Bo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sarky wrote: »
    Quite fair, I think. Nothing you can't make yourself, spending cash just speeds things up. If you buy a warframe or weapon, it comes with a reactor installed that doubles the capacity for mods, but you can make those yourself too. The game's fun enough that you'd be happy to pay average game price after a few hours.

I'm happily working towards hour 150 in Warframe now. My flatmate set up the clan Daddy Bags (he's the biggest Mass Effect whore anyone's likely to meet) for a bunch of us who go LAN gaming the occasional weekend.

I suppose I've tossed maybe €50 at the game to date, the value pack on the Steam Summer Sale was too good not to pass up. I've tried out 4 Warframes now, Started with an Excalibur, but my favourites are Volt and Frost for sheer damage output, and Loki coming close behind for tricksy lulz potential. I'm a few plastids short of building my own Rhino at the moment.

Weapons are where most of my cash has gone. Big fan of a fully modded Boltor, especially against heavy armour. I recently built a Latron, but I'm not that enthused about single shot rifles, even if they are high-powered. I much prefer my Gorgon LMG, built from scratch a week or two ago and really starting to show potential with a few mods to increase ammo and damage.

Very fond of twin Lato handguns with all the damage mods. And I adore my fully levelled and modded Gram two-handed sword, ridiculous damage dealing. Frost with a Gorgon and Gram are just horrific death machines. Have a few weapons I recently built that I haven't tried yet, Lex hand cannon, Hikou shuriken, Glaive, Ether daggers and a Bo.

I am only 30h in now, but I noticed one thing. It really makes life easier to invest few quid in to the game at start. To get a few of those weapons rolling. After that a lot of components just start to build up. You might after have a few platinum sitting in the account just to buy some of the rare few components now and then.For example, I had to buy few Morphics to build boar, but after today alone, I got 9 sitting in the stash.
    I am, really kicking myself for not buying that platinum pack for 20eu. It was just stupidly good value. I really hope it will come back up on some sale later this year.
    Frost and Volt are two Warframes I am looking forward to. Warframes themselves cost a lot to make though, I might buy Volt as it is very cheap and then build Frost when I grow up! :p

I agree on business model. It is quite fair. Almost everything that is essential can be built, but spending money will make it faster. Buying out right warframes or weapons is really bad value. A lot better just building stuff yourself and buying few missing components. Like I said, I spent only 10eu on it so far. I will wait untill I get 20% off plat and I buy that 26eu ( 21eu with discount ) plat package just to have spare plat. Even so, 30h played and only 10eu spend is very good value. I have no problem spending another 20eu on top of that, I only now able to clear level 30 stuff solo, so a lot of room to go up for me.

Have you tried that Vasto? Looks like an animal. I can make it already, but wonder if worth spending recourses now as I got twin vipers at the moment.

If the Volt bundle is still going, it's good value. Volt is perfect for running Corpus missions, the electrical damage is massively effective against all those robots. It's a good tactic to jump into the densest group you can find and pop your Overload ability, kills damn near everything except bosses. And the chain lightning effect of Shock is great for getting rid of those pesky drone swarms.

He's a little frail though so caution is necessary. Frost on the other hand is a bit of a tank, almost as tough as Rhino. The Snowglobe power is great for defensive missions, it was essential to have at least one Frost on the Fomorian event the other week to protect the fuel lines from ranged attacks. Fairly slow though without a few sprint mods. I tend to use him when farming solo as he can take a lot of punishment and deals some serious damage.

Meh, "farming" doesn't seem the right word really. It suggests a boring old WoW or EVE grinding sort of tedium. Warframe is always pretty frantic. I hate farming in other MMO games, but I'd have to farm a hell of a lot in Warframe before I got bored. Probably something to do with the hacky-slashy-wallrunny-shooty goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have played about 10 hours so far and it is very good but a bit overwhelming in all the choices
    so what would you suggest I invest in first as I bought the €10 pack in the summer sale but haven't used it yet?

• Advertisement

Don't bother buying mod packs, you'll get 10+ per mission if you play online with others so it's pretty much a waste of cash. Same with raw materials really, maybe apart from the rare stuff (even then, the bosses in assassination missions tend to drop those).

A new weapon is a good idea. You can get a better version of the starting Braton rifle with in game credits instead of platinum, that's a good start. The Gorgon is a heavy weapon with slow spin-up time but huge rate of fire and damage output, might be worth a look. The Boltor is a great automatic rifle against armoured targets like the Grineer, but the bolts have too much travel time and too little accuracy to be effective at range. If precision is your thing then you might like the Latron or the Snipetron. Haven't tried the shotguns myself, but I'm sure you know how they work...

If you don't want a new weapon, consider an Orokin catalyst or reactor, to double the mod slots in your weapon/warframe. You can make some seriously powerful changes to your gun/sword when you have up to 60 levels worth of mods available.

If you want stealth options, the Shade sentinel is really handy, as it can cloak you when enemies are nearby.

If you have the cash to spare, it might be worth looking at a new Warframe. There are a dozen others, and they all have interesting powers. Nova seems to be winning at everything right now, they rarely leave much in the way of kills for the other 3 players.

Check out the Warframe Wiki, it's packed with info on warframes, weapons, mods and everything else in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

[smug git]DE gave me 5000 platinum 2 weeks ago coz I'm deadly[/smug git]

sadly I haven't had a chance to play to spend any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've been keeping an eye on Warframe for a while. Looks kind of interesting. I'm not sure I need yet another timesink though with the backlog I have...

I have to agree with Sarky. It does not really feel that much of grind, because gameplay it self is fun. Combat is really fun and weapon are unique, not just a reskins with little bit different bullet pattern.

The only 2 problems I have with game. Peer 2 peer online system and they need more faction and bigger variety if enemies. Good news is, that it is still on sort of beta and being free to play, they always add content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Damn you all, I've started downloading this....

I'll def stay away from the booster packs though (until the next sale at least)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Dammit I'm being suckered into this too...

One more thing about the game. clans can build their own DOJO. Its basicly Clan station. Clans can collect recourses and build bit by bit their HQ.

My ingame name is Evilnipple. Add me if you want to play together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Might download this during the week and give it a shot.Is it a big download?

Steam says it's about 3 gigs. There might be a bit more once the client starts up and looks for updates.

My Rhino got built last night, so I took him out on a nice easy extermination mission. Then I took him on a level 20-25 mission because he just couldn't be hurt. Jaysus, I thought the other combat Warframes were tough, but Rhino is an utter tank, through and through. Even unranked he was sporting better shields and health than any other Warframe I'd gotten to level ten. Pop in the Iron Skin mod and he's just untouchable for huge stretches of time. He's incredibly slow though, so definitely not one to bring on speed runs, but the sheer amount of damage he can take without flinching is spectacular. I'm going to enjoy leveling this chap.

Rhino is great. Got it to level 30 with catalyst too. Its a tank, no other way around it. I just use iron skin with him too. Other abilities look like a waste of energy compared to it.

I got my BOAR to level 30, what an animal!No pun intended! :D Great vs infested, but wokrs good vs other stuff too. Looking forward to Vasto. It will be ready for me tomorrow after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Just after I've begun using my Ember (built after 40 hours of casual gameplay), I've lost most of the interest in this game. It has a great potential and style, but missing something very important in its core.

XVII wrote: »
    Just after I've begun using my Ember (built after 40 hours of casual gameplay), I've lost most of the interest in this game. It has a great potential and style, but missing something very important in its core.

It could do with more events. The Fomorian event a couple of weeks back was great fun, forcing people to talk to each other to make sure they were coordinating and bringing along the right gear to sabotage the maguffin, and ensuring there was a good mix of Warframes to protect it during the sabotage. I picked up so much lovely loot that weekend, even made friends with one or two strangers who rose above the typical online game "I'm anonymous therefore I can be a total c*nt when things don't go my way" masses.

Some more metaplot and a bit more variety in the tilesets, and I think I'd be happy. Of course, the devs are actually working on all of that stuff, so it's probably just a matter of time. I've only seen the last two content updates, but they were very substantial indeed, so I'll be keeping my hopes up.

Just started last night, only played the first mission.
    Can see a lot of potential in this game.
    Playing on my own, the first mission was a bit boring, but I can def see it picking up in later levels and with more people to increase the difficulty.

After reading through the different frames, I probably look to build either an Ash or a Frost down the line.

Well, got my Vasto built and up to level 15 ( with catalyst in too ). It is very poor with no mods, but more mods I throw at it, the better it gets. Suits me perfectly with shotgun as main weapon. About Boar - its fecking epic. I am doing level 40 stuff now. I mainly leveling up Vasto, but if it gets hairy I just pop BOAR, clear the room and go on with my business. Its just amazing weapon ( I know, I am just talking about BOAr all the time, but trust me, its gooooooood! :D )

Still did not got a roll for 20% off plat :(. Wanted to get plat and buy Volt. Its very cheap for such good Warframe. Making it would take way too much recourses, so buying it makes sense.

Cant wait to be able to farm frost suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

wait till they start nerfing it :D

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    wait till they start nerfing it :D

You mean BOAR? Its out pretty much for ages now. Vasto might be nerfed for sure as with mods it becomes death cannon with no reload downtime at all. ( check that video I posted before ).

I still got Dual vipers back up! :p

Right, I had like 300k of credits so I decided to blow some credits on blueprints. Got myself PARIS and Sniper Rifle ( cant remember name ). So Building PARIS at the moment. More for fun, then an actual weapon to use. I might blow 100k on shade pet ( I got dethcube ) for solo runs ( which i do mostly ).

Just when I was thinking the game could do with more events, along comes Operation Arid Fear:

That's my weekend sorted, so.

Ok, jumped into it again for a few missions last night.

This time I was in groups and it was much more fast paced and chaotic.
    I can see this game eating up more time than I anticipated.

I ran out of plat and was looking to buy that 26eu pack. Todays lucky roll was 50% off plat!!! SWEET!!!
    21eu for 1000 plat and mod pack.

I wount be using plat to buy weapons direct, spoils the fun, but I do buy reactors and few missing mats when needed.

Happy days! Now to go and try out that Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Only started playing a bit of this - got a bit stung before paying into beta f2p games, where I spent all my in game money on 'sorta nice to haves', and next thing they release a tonne of very desireable new content (feckin tribes)... so going to try and play this completely free for as long as possible.

Not terribly easy, as there doesnt appear to be any obvious progression path bar the obvious aklato + braton direct 'free-money' purchases. Dont really know what my next weapon should be - as the bought recipes dont list the components needed, so they might need lvl30+ components or whatever.
    Any suggestions?
    Am using the Mag frame, and ideally looking for new primary, or maybe try and build a sentinel? The aklato is a bit lame too..

Wossack wrote: »
    Only started playing a bit of this - got a bit stung before paying into beta f2p games, where I spent all my in game money on 'sorta nice to haves', and next thing they release a tonne of very desireable new content (feckin tribes)... so going to try and play this completely free for as long as possible.

Not terribly easy, as there doesnt appear to be any obvious progression path bar the obvious aklato + braton direct 'free-money' purchases. Dont really know what my next weapon should be - as the bought recipes dont list the components needed, so they might need lvl30+ components or whatever.
    Any suggestions?
    Am using the Mag frame, and ideally looking for new primary, or maybe try and build a sentinel? The aklato is a bit lame too..

I would not waste credits on sentinel at start. I find it just a yoke to get when you got too much resources and credits then sense.
    What would I do as new player is geting BOAR and Rhino warframe. Rhino component blueprints drop from first boss - Jackal. Quite a lot of people doing these runs, so easy to get full set blueprints.
    Boar is just massive automatic shotgun. With good few mods it is just a "point and stuff dies" weapon. Thanks to Boar i jumped from level 20 to level 45 solo missions pretty much in two days.
    Rhino is a great suit as it has "Not a single **** was given that day" button. One of his abilities which takes only 50 power makes you immortal.
    Dual vipers are not bad, but way to expensive to make. Vasto is a great weapon, but a bit mats are a bit rare for new player.

I would recomend to wait until you will get an platinum discout roll and then buy plat for 5-10eu. Just use it to buy mixing components when building weapons and buying reactors. Reactors on new weapons make life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think I have the rhino blueprint alright, but absolutely zero of the materials :o mightnt be in the right solar system (?) to get the right drops, but not looked too closely just yet

sorry, when you say level 20 - is that like your frames level? I think Im level 18ish iirc

my profile (I think?) is only level 2 afaik.. really like the level up 'test' you have to do

Wossack wrote: »
    I think I have the rhino blueprint alright, but absolutely zero of the materials :o mightnt be in the right solar system (?) to get the right drops, but not looked too closely just yet

sorry, when you say level 20 - is that like your frames level? I think Im level 18ish iirc

my profile (I think?) is only level 2 afaik.. really like the level up 'test' you have to do

You need blueprint for Rhino Warframe and then you need Blueprints for helm, chasis, system. Takes 3 days to put it all together.

There are no levels of you, that would tell you what can you tackle etc. The main level is more to show your mastery. It all depends on the level and mods of your gear. For example I am doing level 45 missions in Rhino suit with BOAR and VASTO, but I got myself Suit VOLT and PARIS. So I got back in to level 20-30 missions just to get gear leveled up, because I am getting bum fecked at level 45 with new raw gear.

I sort of like this way of levels. It removes the bull**** of "you have to be that high to go on this ride!"

• Advertisement

Cool event this weekend. Will have some fun! :cool:

Advertisement