Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

James = 8th July ... The Academy

• 22-06-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

James play a warm up gig before Oxygen in the Academy on Wed 8th July - just found out today
    Tickets €30
    I can't wait - it'll be my third time seeing them live (First was 1990 :eek:)... amazing live band and not to be missed in such an intimate venue :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Cant believe no one's keen on James

To whet the appetite if you're not sure :pac:

Tomorrow week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

These guys don't get any exposure in Ireland but they're one of the best live bands about. Seen them twice last year in Britain and if you like a sweaty mess of a gig, this is the one for you. Most folk remember "Sit Down" but you'd be surprised how many tunes you recognise when you hear them. Check out You Tube, some great clips from a gig at Liverpool Univesity I was at. Crowd sang the end of "Sometimes" for 5-10 mins, band stood stunned.

This is my first gig at this venue, any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I only found out about this gig yesterday (Monday), but was still able to get a ticket. I haven't seen them live since their Olympia gig after Millionaires came out, when Tim was literally climbing up the walls, ending up on the balcony. :D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

That vid was impressive. I don't have the money to go to their gig but I will have to check out their set at Oxegen. Thanks for posting the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Love James. Never seen them live, can't wait for it, Tim Booth is a talent.

• Advertisement

I haven't looked forward to a concert as much in a long time... really hope it's a sell out - I'm anticipating a hot and sweaty gig :D

Here's another for any waverers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pgargan

Is there a support act for the gig tonight?

Anyone know stage times?

Looking forward to James, but not looking forward to standing around for an hour twiddling my thumbs if I show up too early :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

haven't heard if there is support, doubt it somehow but ya never know. I reckon there will be a que outside before doors open, about an hour before kick off at a guess. Whatever it will be a wicked night, James have so many hits it can't fail. Enjoy;)
    Sorry i am not much help with your questions p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Any report on the gig.Gutted I couldn't get the night off work to go to this
    one.James were never my favourite band but they were always fantastic live.
    Saw them in Germany,London and a couple of times in the Olympia and they
    never disappointed..

The place was full, but the crowd wasn't manic, so I thought it was a mellow gig by some standards. Seven guys on that tiny stage left little room for Tim to stretch out. Some pre-Oxegen experimentation, such as bringing back
    Dream Thrum (Laid)
    and a song written just a few days earlier
    Shine

I thought there would be more new material, but they played only one each from Millionaires and Pleased To Meet You. and three from Hey Ma:
    Oh My Heart, Upside, I Wanna Go Home
    . So it was a kind of Greatest Hits set - nothing wrong with that, but Hey Ma is good enough for more heavy play e.g. Waterfall, I think.

Larry was very quiet in the mix, and I thought the PA was way too loud (so I wore earplugs). It seemed like half of Manchester was there in the audience, sinking pints. Still, it was fun, with a couple of "getting away with it" moments.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Never got into James, more to do with not hearing much of their stuff. My wife loves them though, so I went with her. Must say, I didn't know most of the set, but it was a great gig. Gotta love those intimate venues. Highlights for me would be 'Laid', 'Follow me' and 'gettin away with it'.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Gotta love those intimate venues. Highlights for me would be 'Laid', 'Follow me' and 'gettin away with it'.
    "Follow me" is probably I Know What I'm Here For, from Millionaires - my favourite album of theirs. Tim said it was known for its use in a commercial, which I was honestly not aware of before now - Ford cars, apparently. I was just aware of the video, which is probably the most commercial thing they've ever done - link.

Aah it was a great gig - played nearly everything I wanted to hear - loved sometimes, tomorrow, getting away with it and loads more :D

James are wasted playing at 4.30 at Oxegen

Spoke with some Mancs over for the show, and a girl who'd travelled from the States just for the gig (though may have been a bit gullible at the time - we'd been 'building up' to the gig from 1 o clock in the afternoon :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Did they do Sit Down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Yeah they did Sit Down.
    Really enjoyed the gig.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Pissed the hell off of me the reaction they got at oxegen. I really enjoyed them tbh at oxe but most had never heard of them so immediately disliked. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Seen them in 92 at Alton Towers with PIL(John Lydon) as the backing band. They were great, also seen them 2 years ago in the olympia. They are an underrated live band imho.

PIL ? Tell me more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    PIL ? Tell me more :)

Don't remember that much about it tbh, I was rather under the influence, but I will never forget John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten screaming at the crowd, ' you ****ing tory youth' as he was ducking from glass bottles from all angles. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Pissed the hell off of me the reaction they got at oxegen. I really enjoyed them tbh at oxe but most had never heard of them so immediately disliked. :pac:

Didn't Tim say that he decided to leave the band during their set at Witnness 2002? I remember they were fantastic but stuck on the main stage ridiculously early with about 30 mins set. They were being told to leave the stage but decided to do Ring the Bells anyway. Completely forgot this gig was on, sick I missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Didn't know they were playing and I would have enjoyed attending. Great band, always were and they have tons of stuff to work from. I haven't heard from them in a lot of years so it's great to know they are still kicking it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

hshortt wrote: »
    Didn't know they were playing and I would have enjoyed attending. Great band, always were and they have tons of stuff to work from. I haven't heard from them in a lot of years so it's great to know they are still kicking it.

Cheers

You didn't miss out, crowd ruined the atmosphere :pac:
    Edit : You were referring to other gig.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Aah it was a great gig - played nearly everything I wanted to hear - loved sometimes, tomorrow, getting away with it and loads more :D

James are wasted playing at 4.30 at Oxegen

Spoke with some Mancs over for the show, and a girl who'd travelled from the States just for the gig (though may have been a bit gullible at the time - we'd been 'building up' to the gig from 1 o clock in the afternoon :pac:)

i was at the academy as well walte... ABSOLUTELY CRACKING GIG....

i love it when the band appears to be having a great time as well...

there were some more hardcore fans there than i, but i was delighted with the set list... im a huge Laid fan and there was a good selection from it...

hopefully they will come over a lot more often...

how did the oxegen gig go??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Corkfeen wrote: »

Yeah totally agree. Think they got a smaller crowd than the coronas(?) on before them. Had the feeling it would be a damp squib being on the main stage so early. Should have had them in one of the tents - pity. Saw them 2 years ago in the Olympia and they were superb as were the crowd.

I'd say the Oxegen crowd means that they're not a new young hip or retro band just yet. They need a few more NME covers I'd say and maybe a Kate Moss endorsement :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rory g man

probably the greatest live band out there..was at that gig...was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Rory g man wrote: »
    probably the greatest live band out there..was at that gig...was amazing

Great thread resurrection, as they're playing the Olympia in 2 weeks time!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Cant Wait For the Olympia on the 23rd, such a great live band. I was at that academy gig, mad seeing it discussed.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Only had the greatest hits album of the band for the past 15 years, but one of my most listened to albums. I have no idea why I did not get into them more. I know I did have whiplash album back around college days, but lost it.

Was looking up the setlist last week, and good thing is that they do not play a consistent setlist. Vary it up a bit. Have been listening to songs like

Getting away with it all messed up
    English Beefcake
    Just like Fred Astaire
    Of monsters, and heros and men
    Interrogation (new song)
    Moving on (new song)
    Five o

Any other recommendations, other than the hits from their earlier albums?
    Will definitely be spending more resources on this band in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,969 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Their 'laid' album simply sublime, by far their pinnacle in my opinion.

Produced by brian eno, theres not a weak point on the whole album

Advertisement