Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

James = 8th July ... The Academy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Their 'laid' album simply sublime, by far their pinnacle in my opinion.

Produced by brian eno, theres not a weak point on the whole album
    One of the greatest albums of all time. 'Out to get you' is a brilliant opener. Love the way it builds and builds.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pighead wrote: »
    One of the greatest albums of all time. 'Out to get you' is a brilliant opener. Love the way it builds and builds.

Absolutely agree, one of the few albums I go back to again and again and never ever get tired with it.

Out to get you, one of the three, laid, sometimes, say something, dream thrum.... Ah simply great songs I think il go stick the cd on now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Fabulous gig, great mix of old and new. Voice sounds superb for a 53 yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

mattb74 wrote: »
    Fabulous gig, great mix of old and new. Voice sounds superb for a 53 yr old
    Amazing gig, always super live band .Was hoping to hear sometimes as the last song but didn't happen....

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Did they play much from the last two albums, night before + morning after??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Did they play much from the last two albums, night before + morning after??

No Syd they didn't play anything from those two EP's,
    Maybe a good thing for me as I consider those records as probably the lowest recording point for James, despite have a few great tracks, it just seems a bit dull and same samey,

They did however play three new songs, which are going to be on their next album, released spring next year, and they sounded very strong!

All in all it was a fantastic gig! great set list with a good mix of old and new, The only grumble I have is with the sound engineer who didn't seem to know what he was doing, Tim was burred in the mix for most of the concert and even talking in between songs he was hard to hear, Larry was also way down in the mix for the first half of the concert, It was pretty lame and something that happens at concerts far too much these days! Some girl mentioned to Tim that his vocals needed to be turned up when he came into the crowd for Born Of Frustration, after the song he commented saying they had a new sound engineer and those problems were beyond the bands control, it still took a considerable amount of time for the sound to level out! Overall tho the band sounded phenomenal and pulled a cracking gig out of the bag!

Here is the set list for those interested......

Oh My Heart
    Waterfall
    Seven
    How Was It for You?
    Jam J
    Interrogation
    Moving On
    P.S.
    Born of Frustration
    Sit Down
    Of Monsters And Heroes And Men
    Five-O
    Stutter
    Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)
    Tomorrow
    Laid
    Encore:
    Curse Curse
    Come Home
    Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Great gig..
    The band were as tight as I've seen them, and the new stuff sounded great..

Think they've been playing festivals all summer, so it must have been a buzz for them to be back in front of their own crowd.. Lot of Mancs over too..

Tim went into the crowd at one point, and didn't miss a beat.

Hope he keeps his promise to be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great gig. They have an array of cracking tunes. Born of Frustration, Sit down, tomorrow, Of Monster..., Getting away with all messed up are sublime and were brilliant on Friday night. Tim getting to the crowd was funny - up on peoples shoulders. Was watching youtube clips last week where he heads off into the crowds at gigs. Great sense of bonding with the audience.

I didn't take any notice of the sound. Was in the front seat of the Circle area.
    Only negative I would have is with the encore. No problem with the new song (Curse curse). Have heard it a few times on youtube and it's really good. But Come Home does nothing for me. I just find it boring. And then to finish off with Sound, together with a slow bit and then jamming going on just made the whole thing flat, and the energy from the crowd went limp. Not the quality of playing was bad, it just didn't seem right as a set closer. Anyway, there are many who probably loved that part, so it's just my opinion on it.

But overall, some value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Great gig. They have an array of cracking tunes. Born of Frustration, Sit down, tomorrow, Of Monster..., Getting away with all messed up are sublime and were brilliant on Friday night. Tim getting to the crowd was funny - up on peoples shoulders. Was watching youtube clips last week where he heads off into the crowds at gigs. Great sense of bonding with the audience.

I didn't take any notice of the sound. Was in the front seat of the Circle area.
    Only negative I would have is with the encore. No problem with the new song (Curse curse). Have heard it a few times on youtube and it's really good. But Come Home does nothing for me. I just find it boring. And then to finish off with Sound, together with a slow bit and then jamming going on just made the whole thing flat, and the energy from the crowd went limp. Not the quality of playing was bad, it just didn't seem right as a set closer. Anyway, there are many who probably loved that part, so it's just my opinion on it.

But overall, some value for money.

I actually love Come Home & have seen them perform it live loads of times & it's been excellent. But I have to admit it wasn't a great version they played the other night, maybe it was out of tune or something.
    No problem with them finishing off with Sound, it's a top tune. There were quite a few songs they didn't play that I was disappointed about,

Low Low Low
    Sometimes
    Next Lover
    Say Something
    One of the Three
    Out to get You

But it was still a great gig as all James gigs are. They are one of the only bands that I've seen live over the years where I've never left disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭glennponder

Chances of James at EP this year??? Would love to see it happen, they're playing the Sat night in the UK so probably slim chance now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Feck ya. Saw the heading that they were playing in The Academy. Didn't realise it was from an old thread. It was only about a week ago that I did a search to see if they were touring. They are, but not in Ireland. Saw them in Olympia couple of years ago. Brilliant. Anyway, no idea about EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

They're playing at Knebworth on the 31st of August, that's got to be a good omen.

Advertisement